Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wall Street Journal has put up a map of the U.S locations where Iodine-131 from the Fukushima power plant has been detected. Oddly enough, it's showing up mostly on the West & East Coast.

Trace amounts have been detected in the following 14 states:

Hawaii
Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
Colorado
Maine
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Maryland
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida

Typically, the particles will stay aloft until washed out of the air by rain or buffeted to lower altitude by turbulence, creating an unpredictable patchwork of fallout.

"Once it is over North America, rain storms can carry it back to the surface and that is what we are seeing happen," said Jeff Masters, director of meteorology at Weather Underground Inc.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576228833487550772.html

Mr. Sato, 59, is a 17th-generation family farmer, a proprietor of 14 acres of greenhouses and fields where he grows rice, tomatoes, spinach and other vegetables. Or did grow: Last week, the national government banned the sale of farm products not just from Towa, but also from a stretch of north-central Japan extending south almost to Tokyo, for fear that they had been tainted with radiation.

Already, Mr. Sato stands to lose a fifth of his income because of the ban. If the government cannot contain the Daiichi disaster, he could lose a farm that his family has tended since the 1600s.

“Even if it’s not safe, I need my fields for my work,” he said. “I have no other place to go. I don’t even want to think about escaping from my land.”

Here and elsewhere in Fukushima Prefecture, the region hit hardest by the nuclear crisis, farmers are worried about their future — and convinced, like Mr. Sato, that the government is not on their side.

In interviews, several said they believed that leaders in Tokyo had mishandled the Daiichi disaster, sending conflicting signals on radiation dangers that fed panic among average citizens. And they nurse a grievance, justified or otherwise, that in this moment of national peril the powers that be have thought first about Tokyo and only later about the hinterlands that are hurting the most.

And they are clearly hurting. Japan depends heavily on foreign suppliers for most food, but up to 80 percent of all vegetables are locally grown, and Fukushima’s 70,000 commercial farmers produce more than $2.4 billion worth of spinach, tomatoes, milk and other popular foods every year.

The government’s ban on produce sales last week stopped that industry — and those in three adjacent prefectures to the south, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma — in their tracks. Across the region, farmers are dumping millions of gallons of milk and tons of ripe vegetables into pits and streams, unable to sell their products legally on the open market.

“I can’t keep going for too long,” said Kenzo Sasaki, 70, who milks 18 cows on a farm outside the city of Fukushima, the local capital. Mr. Sasaki estimates that he is losing nearly $31,000 — not including the cost of feeding his herd — for every month that the sales ban continues.

Across town, Shoichi Abe, 62, milks about 30 cows in his own dingy barn. He has been unable to sell his 1,100 pounds of daily production since the March 11 earthquake damaged the milk-processing plant at the local farm co-op.

Now the government has extended that prohibition indefinitely.

Mr. Abe said, “It’s costing us 70,000 yen a day” — about $860.

“We have no income,” he said, “and the truth is that we don’t want to continue this. All the agriculture is gone. The consumers don’t want to buy products from Fukushima Prefecture, so we can’t sell them. It’s the rumor problem.”

To a person, the farmers say their products are safe to eat and drink. None of the growers interviewed had been visited by anyone seeking to monitor radiation on their land. The government’s radiation readings — to the extent that they have been publicized — have been ambiguous at best.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/world/asia/30farmers.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

More at link...
It's so easy to forget about the person by person impact that this is having.

The Wall Street Journal has put up a map of the U.S locations where Iodine-131 from the Fukushima power plant has been detected. Oddly enough, it's showing up mostly on the West & East Coast.

Trace amounts have been detected in the following 14 states:

Hawaii
Washington
Oregon
California
Nevada
Colorado
Maine
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Maryland
North Carolina
South Carolina
Florida

Typically, the particles will stay aloft until washed out of the air by rain or buffeted to lower altitude by turbulence, creating an unpredictable patchwork of fallout.

"Once it is over North America, rain storms can carry it back to the surface and that is what we are seeing happen," said Jeff Masters, director of meteorology at Weather Underground Inc.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576228833487550772.html

And Alabama
www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid...AQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=7e1fbe3f23c23f49

Side note: Most American distributors are now sold out of radiation detectors.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1509876/Radiation-detectors-sold-out-over-Japan-fears

Also of interest:
Don't get out the radiation suits or lead-lined umbrellas yet, but the snow and rain predicted to fall on the Pittsburgh region Wednesday likely will contain higher levels than normal radioactivity.
http://www.timesonline.com/news/tra...cle_0779c5e8-59a9-11e0-a326-00127992bc8b.html

My question is, when all of these plants were built all over the world, was there ever a plan for what to do when all hell broke loose? I mean, is there even anything that can be done? It seems not.

My question is, when all of these plants were built all over the world, was there ever a plan for what to do when all hell broke loose? I mean, is there even anything that can be done? It seems not.

Well, it appears they planned for what was a record-breaking earthquake: all the active reactors shut down as designed.

But it doesn't appear they were ready to cope with the one-two punch of earthquake and tsunami.

IIRC, many U.S. facilities are far LESS prepared, because outside the West Coast, much of the continent sees fewer earthquakes.

Similarly cluc we now know that the US and many other countries DO have weapons of mass destruction. The nuclear power plants. During war all the enemy would have to do is drop a bomb on it and bye bye civilization.

^ THat is not true Nova. The japan ignored their islands past. In the last 3000 years there have been 3 8+ earthquakes that hit that area w/ tsunamis. Had they taken that into account they would have changed so many things about this current one, one would think.
looking for link... I read that in a printed paper that doesn't have many articles online.

in the year 869 there was a 8.6 quake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/869_Sanriku_earthquake_and_tsunami with tsunami 2.5 miles inland

Found an article that mentions the other two w/o much detail about them: http://www.therecord.com/news/world...-conclude-nuclear-plant-was-safe-from-tsunami

I wonder how radiation in rainwater affects my pool water.
We got over 4 inches yesterday in the pool. East Coast, Central FL.
I know that most metals are cumulative and are not filtered out through the pump...Surely radiation and/or radioactive chemicals are not filtered out by normal pool filter processes?

More rain over a longer period would equal more concentrated levels of radiation in the pool water, right? Would it just stay there and levels continue to elevate?

I wonder how radiation in rainwater affects my pool water.
We got over 4 inches yesterday in the pool. East Coast, Central FL.
I know that most metals are cumulative and are not filtered out through the pump...Surely radiation and/or radioactive chemicals are not filtered out by normal pool filter processes?

More rain over a longer period would equal more concentrated levels of radiation in the pool water, right? Would it just stay there and levels continue to elevate?

I'd advise you to research the chemicals used in treating your pool, and how those chemicals would react to uranium, plutonium and whatever else those reactors are sending your way. You might be able to discuss this with others in your area, including resorts, hotels etc that also have pools.

My cousin is a nuclear scientist.... He keeps saying, and sending me literature to prove, that we have nothing to worry about. He does admit that in Japan, they have A LOT to worry about, but not us, here in the United States.

He lives in a suburb of LA with 2 young children, and a wife, and he is not concerned.

I love my family with all my heart, and I respect anything they have to say ( got A LOT of professionals lol in all dif fields of expertise) BUT I honestly don't even believe him. My own flesh and blood. He works for the government, and I think he is brainwashed. JMO :twocents:

At the bottom of CNN they are doing a poll on whether radiation in the US states should be of concern.. so far the NOs are winning

http://www.cnn.com/US/

From this poll:

Should traces of radiation in some U.S. states be a concern?

No, it is not significant 53% 16139
Yes, it's a legitimate concern 47% 14354

Looks like the gap is narrowing. Seems half of us are aware of what is going on and what may be happening.

Workers at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex positioned sandbags and concrete barriers around drains leading from the plant Tuesday, setting a last line of defense against highly radioactive water that has flooded reactor buildings and threatens to spill into the ocean.

At the same time, Japanese officials said Tuesday they would keep dousing the plant's stricken reactors with water—a course of action that could raise those water levels further.

At the heart of the day's official moves lies a calculated choice between bad and worse: To meet their goal of keeping reactors cool enough to forestall a nuclear catastrophe, officials appear willing to risk letting some highly radioactive water spill out of vents that are positioned some 50 to 70 yards from the sea.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471904576229854179642220.html

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but here in the US, I don't know what we can do about whatever radiation reaches here. I'm not sure how much I want to know about something that can't be taken care of. And radiation is one thing I don't think there is anything that can be done about.

Japanese Govt Admits To Meltdown At Nuclear Power Plant - March 29, 2011 CNN
[video=youtube;9sB1YmOnmas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sB1YmOnmas[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads