Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks "Not My Kids".

If you hold down the control button and then press + or - you can change print size :)

Out of all those links, the one that I find the most interesting is the one regarding the ship that was rejected from China. How much contamination was it actually carrying and how much was spread by that ship and others that no one realized (or cared to tell anyone) were contaminated? How long before the Japanese government drops this act of "Wait a week, it'll all be gone and nothing to worry about" and starts telling their citizens and everyone else how far they have allowed this to spread, partially due to ther blase attitude about the whole thing?

Speculation is growing that the Japanese government may start talks to nationalise Tokyo Electric Power, which owns the Fukushima nuclear plant.

A discussion about bailing out Tepco was possible, cabinet minister Koichiro Gemba told Reuters.

But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the government was not currently considering a nationalisation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12889641

I have been waiting for this to hit MSM, there have been some rumblings about this on other boards and some speculative blogs about the idea, but nothing that I was sure I could link until now.

Speculation is growing that the Japanese government may start talks to nationalise Tokyo Electric Power, which owns the Fukushima nuclear plant.

A discussion about bailing out Tepco was possible, cabinet minister Koichiro Gemba told Reuters.

But Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the government was not currently considering a nationalisation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12889641

I have been waiting for this to hit MSM, there have been some rumblings about this on other boards and some speculative blogs about the idea, but nothing that I was sure I could link until now.

Okay, a little OT, but I can't stand not knowing. What is "MSM"? A news service?

It occurs to me that if people began to leave Tokyo (or just somewhere in Japan affected by this nuclear carp), is it possible that they could contaminate others unknowingly? Hmmmm......on that note I am off to bed. Thanks for educating me about the MSM---oh, and BBM---what does that stand for??

Okay, a little OT, but I can't stand not knowing. What is "MSM"? A news service?

It occurs to me that if people began to leave Tokyo (or just somewhere in Japan affected by this nuclear carp), is it possible that they could contaminate others unknowingly? Hmmmm......on that note I am off to bed. Thanks for educating me about the MSM---oh, and BBM---what does that stand for??

MSM= Main Stream Media.
BBM= Bolded By Me

I think that radiation is "contagious" so to speak. If it is in one person's hair and on their skin and clothes, they can transmit it to others, that's why they were checking those going into airports and into the camps so carefully, as far as I know. I don't know how much it would dilute from one person to the next though, or how many others one contaminated person could potentially spread it to.

SMALL amounts of radiation from Japan's damaged nuclear plant have been detected in the Philippines, the government said on Tuesday, while emphasising the traces posed no danger to humans.

'We have detected the isotopes, but we would like to ask the public not to panic,' Tina Cerbolis, a spokesman for the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute, told AFP
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_650601.html

So, lets see, here, now the Phillipines, most of the continental US, China, S Korea...all have detected small amounts of radiation and all are being told not to worry. And I won't...YET. I won't worry yet, because the Japanese government is still telling us that this is only a small meltdown, the worst has not happened...YET. But they are still runnin goff backup generators with a skeleton crew using improvised equipment and methods, so a total meltdown is not out of the question, IMO. How uch higher do the levels worldwide get then?

Nuclear Crisis "Very Grave" -March 29, 2011 CNN

[video=youtube;ZqKm3iH1x9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqKm3iH1x9c[/video]

Thailand's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Tuesday ordered thorough but random checks on food imported from Japan, while 75 kilos of sweet potatoes imported earlier and found to be contaminated by radiation have not yet been destroyed due to concern regarding a possible radiation spillover.
http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/188187.html

Great, they can't use them, they can't destroy them...we are running out of places to store the irradiated food, water, and soon, people. MOO.

The radiation scare caused by the problems at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant may have some people wondering if there's a "super pill" that can protect them from the dangerous effects of radiation. Although a preliminary study suggests that antioxidants may be able to decrease DNA damage after radiation exposure, it is unlikely that any such "super pill" will be available any time soon.
http://www.wtma.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=116&itemid=29649983

Just putting it out there.

MSM= Main Stream Media.
BBM= Bolded By Me

I think that radiation is "contagious" so to speak. If it is in one person's hair and on their skin and clothes, they can transmit it to others, that's why they were checking those going into airports and into the camps so carefully, as far as I know. I don't know how much it would dilute from one person to the next though, or how many others one contaminated person could potentially spread it to.

The radiation scare caused by the problems at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant may have some people wondering if there's a "super pill" that can protect them from the dangerous effects of radiation. Although a preliminary study suggests that antioxidants may be able to decrease DNA damage after radiation exposure, it is unlikely that any such "super pill" will be available any time soon.

First: thanks, not my kids, for explaining what those meant. I need all the help I can get. :D:

Second, I am not reassured by this possible 'super pill"---notice in the sentence it says "AFTER radiation exposure". Great. Here, you have been exposed to radiation---take this pill. Hope it works for you b/c we can only give it AFTER you have been tainted. Not before, to prevent any damage, AFTER. Oh, and by the way this situation poses no threat to human health as particles detected are microscopic and therefore are no cause for concern.

I have been WELL EDUCATED by the media. :rolleyes:

Good morning all, I've been scouring the web for fresh information and not coming up with much that hasn't been mentioned here. A slump in coverage, or a lack of facts? Idk

First: thanks, not my kids, for explaining what those meant. I need all the help I can get. :D:

Second, I am not reassured by this possible 'super pill"---notice in the sentence it says "AFTER radiation exposure". Great. Here, you have been exposed to radiation---take this pill. Hope it works for you b/c we can only give it AFTER you have been tainted. Not before, to prevent any damage, AFTER. Oh, and by the way this situation poses no threat to human health as particles detected are microscopic and therefore are no cause for concern.

I have been WELL EDUCATED by the media. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert, just lived through 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl. Maybe that makes me an expert survivor, along with many others. The one thing I'm reasonably sure of is our young children are the most likely victims of fallout - it's their under-developed thyroid glands which suck up the radiation. Adults, unless they are really close, or have a real good dose, seem to be better able to handle this, although I do know of several "older" people who have developed thyroid cancer in the past few years.

I worry about the young, I have a daughter with cancer from Chernobyl maybe, but each must make their own decision about how they will deal with it.

Low levels, says the gov't, nothing to worry about. It may be cumulative - how do "we" know how much is accumulating? We won't know until 20 or so years have passed and we have to deal with cancer in the ones we love.

Sorry, no Debbie Downer here, just wondering about the facts that no one really knows, but seem quite content to feed us.

My opinion only

I wonder whether some person or pharmaceutical company will try to profit off people's fears, marketing questionable product(s) claiming to reduce or block the effects of radiation. Buyer beware if modern day snake-oil salesmen appear.

k... let me get this straight

first we were "told" that the radiation would dissipate before reaching the U.S. west coast and that it would not happen

uh ya ok

sooooo... if levels have reached as far as mass, how much dissipated over the rest of our country on its way there?

and this "minimal safe level" carp we are being fed..... it was "minimal" when they were already evacuating people in the beginning...

"minimal" caused thyroid cancer in animals in colorado from chernobyl if I remember correctly....

lies...imo

radiation detected in Ohio

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The rooftop of the A.W. Smith building was the site of a research project at Case Western Reserve University.

The buckets were collecting rain for a Lake Erie study when research found something unexpected, ONN's Stephanie Mennecke reported on Monday.

"What we captured was some of that iodine 131," said Professor Gerald Matisoff.

It's the same iodine popping up across the country because of the aftermath of japans' earthquake and tsunami

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/onnnews/stories/2011/03/28/story_radiation_found_in_Ohio.html

k... let me get this straight

first we were "told" that the radiation would dissipate before reaching the U.S. west coast and that it would not happen

uh ya ok

sooooo... if levels have reached as far as mass, how much dissipated over the rest of our country on its way there?

and this "minimal safe level" carp we are being fed..... it was "minimal" when they were already evacuating people in the beginning...

"minimal" caused thyroid cancer in animals in colorado from chernobyl if I remember correctly....

lies...imo

I fully expect they will begin 'adjusting' (upwards, of course) the amount of radiation that is safe: to the workers at the plant, in the water, in the air.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/29/japan-lost-race-save-nuclear-reactor

Some snippets from article:

Richard Lahey, who was head of safety research for boiling-water reactors at General Electric when the company installed the units at Fukushima, told the Guardian workers at the site appeared to have "lost the race" to save the reactor, but said there was no danger of a Chernobyl-style catastrophe.

"The indications we have, from the reactor to radiation readings and the materials they are seeing, suggest that the core has melted through the bottom of the pressure vessel in unit two, and at least some of it is down on the floor of the drywell," Lahey said. "I hope I am wrong, but that is certainly what the evidence is pointing towards."

"The reason we are concerned is that they are detecting water outside the containment area that is highly radioactive and it can only have come from the reactor core," Lahey added. "It's not going to be anything like Chernobyl, where it went up with a big fire and steam explosion, but it's not going to be good news for the environment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC