Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michio Kaku is someone I'd absolutely listen to when it comes to stuff like this. He's brilliant, and can generally explain things in a manner that most folks can understand....

He says, regarding nuclear power: We've made a Faustian bargain-- essentially a deal with the devil for unlimited power. :(

ITA
The possiblity for catastrophe isn't only in Japan-it's right here at home too!!:maddening:
[video=youtube;EcKpypwyZM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKpypwyZM8[/video]
US Spent Nuclear Fuel Largest Concentration Of Radioactivity On Planet
Bob Alvaraz: US has 71,000 metric tons of spent nuclear fuel that is not properly protected

Vanishing act by Japanese executive during nuclear crisis raises questions

Quote: Vanishing in times of crisis is something of a tradition among Japan’s industrial and political elite. During Toyota’s recall debacle last year, the car maker’s chief also went AWOL. “It is very, very sad, but this is normal in Japan,” said Yagushi Hirai, the chief editor of Shyukan Kinyobi, a weekly news magazine.

The scale of the nuclear disaster at Fukushima Daiichi and mounting anger at Tepco’s obfuscations has put unprecedented strain on the Japanese establishment’s preference for invisible crisis management.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ises-questions/2011/03/28/AFDnHNpB_story.html

Hundreds of tons of contaminated water has now been found in a number of places around the complex, including the basements of several buildings, but the source remains unknown. It has been emitting radiation exposures more than four times the amount that the government considers safe for workers.

The contaminated water needs to be removed so that crews can restore electricity to the plant's cooling system.
http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/...Japanese_Nuclear_Plant_118789069.html?ref=069

So, I guess that answers whether or not they actually managed to get the power back on.

How the heck are they pumping the water out without electricity? (And I don't even want to think about where they are pumping it to.)

How the heck are they pumping the water out without electricity? (And I don't even want to think about where they are pumping it to.)

Quiche's link says no "external" electricity.

The alternative is usually gasoline-run generators.

This nuclear disaster reminds me of the movie "The Green Slime.'" Everything it touches turns to slime too.

I think the Japanese government and sepco are trying not to induce panic in their population. Hoping people don't go through post traumatic stress disorder. They seem to give information but then downplay fears people may have. I'm not sure how well it's working on Japans population. Some people could react very strongly if they thought they were going to die. I'd imagine it's taking a psychological toll on their population but I don't hear of any reports of people panicking.

I wonder what the Japanese peoples belief system is on life and death. I've heard they prefer cremation as it release the soul. I've also heard many Japanese live by the Samurai belief system. Always moving forward...

I've seen reports that radiation is now detected in a number of US cities and states, all the way to the East coast. We are just entering the spring rain and storm season, and the farmers planting season. And what about the flood-prone areas - what would be the effect of STANDING radioactive water??

Radiation Outside Damaged Japan Reactor May Cause Death Within Two Months

Quote: Rubber-lined tunnels outside reactor buildings 1, 2 and 3 are almost full of water, a Tokyo Electric official said in a webcast briefing today. The trenches, which aren’t connected to the sea, range in depth from 16 meters (52 feet) to almost 22 meters, he said.

and

Tokyo Electric needs to drain water in four reactor turbine buildings to determine where the radiation came from and assess damage to the fuel rods, a company official told reporters yesterday.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...pan-reactor-may-cause-death-within-hours.html

This nuclear disaster reminds me of the movie "The Green Slime.'" Everything it touches turns to slime too.

I think the Japanese government and sepco are trying not to induce panic in their population. Hoping people don't go through post traumatic stress disorder. They seem to give information but then downplay fears people may have. I'm not sure how well it's working on Japans population. Some people could react very strongly if they thought they were going to die. I'd imagine it's taking a psychological toll on their population but I don't hear of any reports of people panicking.

I wonder what the Japanese peoples belief system is on life and death. I've heard they prefer cremation as it release the soul. I've also heard many Japanese live by the Samurai belief system. Always moving forward...

The traditional religion of the Japanese is Shinto, an animist belief system that sees a spirit in everything, but Japanese beliefs are very diverse and it isn't uncommon for one individual to have a Buddhist wedding, but a Shinto funeral (without feeling he has switched from one religion to another). A lot of Japanese people are Buddhists (and many of the rest share some Buddhist beliefs) and do believe the soul survives the body. (There are also thousands of Christians.)

But the samurai belief system, or bushido, while very influential in Japanese thinking, was specific to the samurai, or warrior, class. Although it survived to a later date, it is basically as old-fashioned as "chivalry" (i.e., feudal codes) in European nations.

I've never heard "always moving forward" particularly associated with bushido; it was the samurai class that kept the islands closed to the outside world and essentially unchanging for hundreds of years.

But certainly Japan's great move from isolationist, feudal society in the 1860s to world-class industrial power 50 years later remains a miracle of adaptability. The same may be said of their recovery from the devastation of WWII to again become an industrial giant by the 1980s.

I think the moral is never count out the Japanese.

He says, regarding nuclear power: We've made a Faustian bargain-- essentially a deal with the devil for unlimited power. :(

I believe this is true,but I want someone to say to me exactly what will happen if the worst case scenario happens. I know they don't want to panic people,but if the worst happens and nobody is prepared,it will really be a mass panic.

Radioactive water keeps workers out
Turbine room floods linked to sea

Quote: Reactor turbine basements flooded with highly radioactive materials kept a desperate effort to stabilize the Fukushima No. 1 power plant at bay Monday, as fresh data showed that nearby seawater was being contaminated further by the leaking facility.

Efforts by Tokyo Electric Power Co. to restore the cooling systems for reactors No. 1 through 4, as well as their spent-fuel storage pools, continue to be halted by the highly radioactive water, which is now at lethal levels.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110329a1.html

Chief got sick during crisis: Tepco

Quote: Masataka Shimizu, the president of Tokyo Electric Power Co., fell ill March 16 and took some time off from the utility's liaison office with the government, Tepco officials said Sunday.

While Shimizu was "away," he collected information and issued instructions from a different room in Tepco headquarters to address the ongoing crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, the officials said.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110329a9.html

:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members