Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

trying to incorporate the front door theory into what we already know so far.

Disclaimer- I personally don’t believe the killer came throught the front door, but I just wanna explore a different scenario.

Assume yourself to be the killer. You see that there is no good way of entering the house without causing a lot of noise. So what do you do? You ring the doorbell.

Mikio comes up to the other side of the door. You are a foreigner. You talk on the intercom, talk about car troubles, maybe even put on an American or foreign accent, talk about how none of the other houses have helped you so far (for whatever reasons).

Miko opens the door and lets him in. He is in his outside shoes, so Mikio tells him to wait while he gets stuff from the garage to help him out with whatever he needs.

Now while Mikio is gone, the killer rushes upstairs and kills Rei. Then proceeds to do exactly what has been theorized by the police.

Biggest plotholes

Mikio doesn’t seem like this type of Good Samaritan. Also the killer was potentially dressed in a bit of a sus way for someone to open their doors to at 11:30 and leave behind when your wife and kids sleeping upstairs.
This scenario presents several pros and cons, but there could be other scenarios, all dependent on one's imagination. Personally, what guides me here is that the TMPD lacks certainty about how the killer gained entry. While the bathroom window appears to be the most plausible way, the police are still uncertain. I interpret this as them not excluding the front door. Perhaps not because it also seems realistic, but because they lack conclusive proof and this reflects the nature of investigations — always considering a range of possibilities with varying degrees of likelihood. One might lean towards certain scenarios, but in the professional world, multiple theories are always considered.

RSMB: Throughout my hours of interviews with them, not a single credible sighting or witness statement was raised. I went through the more well-known 'sightings'. The woman driving through the park, the train station man, the three men in the taxi. No, no, no. All investigated. All ruled out. As for this man, I'm not sure if it tallies with anything I've heard before. Could just be that I missed it.

By the same person? He was wearing the same clothes? And the killer was wearing a Uniqlo jacket with a scarf and gloves, so nothing lightly dressed about him?

This would obviously be huge if true. The fact that I was told there are categorically no suspects has to lead me to conclude that either this is untrue or that they found this man and cleared him.

This one actually sounds like it could be the killer, perhaps.

So we have a man with the wrong colour hair who doesn't like dogs?

Seen by who? He's too old and too thin and wearing a dark jacket that we know he leaves in the house.

I'm going to assume it's a translation issue because this doesn't make sense.
BTW, the man with bleached hair could still have the right color. Changing hair color for home invasion/murder is not impossible. We know that the hair the murderer had (3 hairs from the bag) was dark and straight, but he could have bleached them, too.
When we click the link, it merely takes us back to the same wikipedia page. We know that the TMPD obviously thought it was possible the killer was a skateboarder. My issues with the above:

1) We've spoken before about the inherent problems with wikipedia, dead links, quoting people who are fantasists (Ichihashi and so on). That it's the Japanese wikipedia page doesn't change this.

2) The TMPD have NOT been to California. Unless they lied to my face, they themselves told me this. That the Sankei Shimbun supposedly said so does not make it so. Moreover, that link is dead or non-existent.

3) Why is grip tape not mentioned by the TMPD?
Nic, I posted the translation. One of my phones has automatic translation installed. Ironically, it is the cheaper one that does such a good job. So I copied/pasted. MOO - it would be interesting to compare the Japanese, the Chinese and the Korean versions as everyone might view different aspects as pertinent. The rest of the world is too far.

Forgive me, you've told me about the DNA in the slippers but seeing as I've never heard of it anywhere else, remind me again. It's the killer's DNA in Mikio's slippers? At any rate, that doesn't make sense to me. At what point does he take off his shoes and put them back on? We know his shoes are on during and after stabbing.

I'm not convinced there was an argument. Wikipedia saying so doesn't trump the TMPD telling me that there was no direct flashpoint on the day. An Irie did not tell the Chief about it if it occurred. Nor did the neighbour who lived opposite. The one thing they thought was credible: Yasuko telling Mikio (and others) that there had been a car parking too close to the house in the days leading up to the murders. That's my view of it, of course you're welcome to believe there was an argument.

Rei was absolutely first. How would the killer strangle him to death while bleeding freely from his hand yet not a single drop was found of Rei? It fits the sequence, too.

How did he get back into the house, then? Why wouldn't the Miyazawas phone the police? Or raise the alarm?

I don't say that Mikio went to Edwards. If he had, that would've been huge. No, I believe it's possible he had been to Yokota. And he had definitely travelled the US before. To New York to work on plane livery designs. Also with his family to visit. And California for work.

Do you have knowledge where in California did he go to?

I think there is something strange in this DNA in the slippers. Did they check slippers for any other DNA, to prove that they belonged to Mikio’s house originally?

ADMIN NOTE:

We've had some concerns expressed about Wikipedia being linked as a source. Wikipedia has been an approved source at Websleuths pretty much since it began. While it may not be as accurate as MSM, it does have an approx 80% reliability factor (compared to MSM which is more around the 95% mark).

All Websleuths members are allowed to decide how much weight to apply to the information and form their own opinions and speculative theories based on information they find credible.

ADMIN NOTE:

We've had some concerns expressed about Wikipedia being linked as a source. Wikipedia has been an approved source at Websleuths pretty much since it began. While it may not be as accurate as MSM, it does have an approx 80% reliability factor (compared to MSM which is more around the 95% mark).

All Websleuths members are allowed to decide how much weight to apply to the information and form their own opinions and speculative theories based on information they find credible.

Thank you, @Sillybilly for explaining to us how to use sources!

What is really good about this Japanese Wikipedia is that it contains the link to TMPD brochure. It is in .pdf form, I don’t know how to link but will try.

What really bothers me is the feeling that the Miyazawas were stalked before the murders. It is as if several people organized it, but one executed. You then remove/kill that one and cut off all ties to the killers then…

I wonder if indeed, the kids, or at least, Rei, were unplanned victims to start with and the statue emerged as a “sorry” aftermath.

Now, if we assume that another person helped the murderer to get into the house (using the stronger man’s shoulders) and then left the murderer there? Is it feasible?

Do you have knowledge where in California did he go to?
Northern California, it seems. He possibly worked for a company in San Francisco (or at least it had a branch in SF). I reached out to them years ago and they said they had no old employee records following a merger.
I think there is something strange in this DNA in the slippers. Did they check slippers for any other DNA, to prove that they belonged to Mikio’s house originally?
I’ve never heard anything about the slippers. Is the idea that the killer brought the slippers with him? He wore his own shoes throughout the attack and afterwards.

What really bothers me is the feeling that the Miyazawas were stalked before the murders. It is as if several people organized it, but one executed. You then remove/kill that one and cut off all ties to the killers then…

I wonder if indeed, the kids, or at least, Rei, were unplanned victims to start with and the statue emerged as a “sorry” aftermath.

Now, if we assume that another person helped the murderer to get into the house (using the stronger man’s shoulders) and then left the murderer there? Is it feasible?
It’s feasible in that there’s nothing to disprove it. Certainly, I have nothing concrete against the idea. But once several people are planning this murder it becomes a conspiracy and it makes the personal angle seem less likely — at least to me. And it raises the question: why? If the killer is driven by rage, it at least makes sense as it were. If several people are in on it, what’s the driver?

Last edited:
@FacelessPodcast

Why do you think Mikio had been to Yokota? And by that do you mean the US base or just the general area?

Also Mikio seems to be a graphics designer. Do we know whether he did plane livery designs for a commerical aircraft or something more pvt?
We know that Rei was into planes. We know they went on outings and day trips. (Yokota has an annual open day). We know that Mikio worked on plane liveries. We know that he worked with Americans. There are things in the house that I’m not going to get into too much, sorry to vague tweet, but if you look at the photos carefully, you’ll see what I mean. I don’t have anything certain to connect them to Yokota, I just think there’s a solid possibility.

Re: Mikio’s liveries. I don’t know which side of the industry he was working on, I’m afraid.

While all theories deserve consideration until a case is resolved, some raise more questions than they answer. Take, for instance, the idea that the killer was a teenager from a US military base in Japan. If we follow that path, we’re faced with a mix of oddities.

Imagine a teenage boy, presumably underage and financially supported by his middle-class parents—given the selective nature of military base staff. Yet, his wardrobe is an eclectic mix of locally sourced, mainly discount store finds. Why is his clothing distinctly Japanese, with not a single American brand in sight? Isn’t it odd? After all, these families, patriotic enough to serve abroad, would likely cherish American brands as a small comfort from home.

Instead, we find him in cheap synthetic leather sneakers from a possibly Korean-made British brand (Slazenger, seriously?) while his peers are strutting around in Nike—the quintessential choice for American youth at the time. OK, some could enjoy ASICS, for a change. And let's not overlook his weapon of choice—a sashimi knife bought from a local supermarket. Another distinctly Japanese element in the narrative. Did he detest American products so much that he excluded everything American from his life? At 15-16?

Why drive all the way, underage, through Tokyo, only to not linger in the victim’s house? Was he there to test his sashimi knife or his own nerves?

Then there’s the mysterious bird droppings found in his pocket—completely overlooked in the grand debate. These weren’t just any droppings but likely from indoor birds like canaries or finches, possibly from a bird enclosure with a sand bath (a common feature). Bird owners purchase specially purified sand, not too alkaline, similar to that from the Mojave Desert, in bags. It’s more mundane, perhaps, but it’s there—ignored yet significant.

Consider the gloves. Amongst the budget-friendly attire, we find an oddly luxurious pair of authentic leather gloves with fur lining—worth almost half the price of a Uniqlo jacket. This splurge stands out like a sore thumb. But it’s not impossible to imagine he acquired them opportunistically, perhaps picking them up off a train where someone might have left them. Did the TMPD track lost property on train lines? We don’t know. A simple check could have been revealing (timing, line, location).

Back to our hypothetical base boy. Military bases keep meticulous logs of entrances and exits. Even if residents have some freedom of movement, it doesn’t mean they are unregistered. These logs would show who was in or out on that fateful night. If the TMPD had any real interest, wouldn’t they start there?

And then there’s the sand found in the bag—officially identified as from the Mojave Desert. Despite this reveal on the Japanese wiki page, we’re left wondering how it connects to our supposed suspect or any specific location like Edwards. The TMPD hasn’t disclosed their sand samples or findings. There are many ways that sand could have ended up in the killer’s bag—through a bird’s bath, his socks, money, a stress ball, or even a broken hourglass (or a sauna sand clock—Japanese do love their saunas). We know there were only a few grains of this sand, not a sealed and signed bag. And how rubbish ends up in our bags is as much a mystery as socks disappearing in the washing machine.

<modsnip: Removed duplicate quote>

You bring up some excellent points.

It would have also been easier to buy American style clothing, shoes, and other products on base rather than being forced to shop at a Japanese store where you can't even speak the language.

Last edited by a moderator:

It would have also been easier to buy American style clothing, shoes, and other products on base rather than being forced to shop at a Japanese store where you can't even speak the language.
If the killer planned the murder why would he wear clothing and shoes that directly link back to the air base? Wouldn’t that be a bit stupid?
Isn’t it more likely he selected clothes that are generic and found all over Japan to be less distinct? That’s my thought there. After all he did a good job of it. We don’t have many leads of exactly where he even got them, and the shoes may not even be sold in Japan. Mission accomplished there. I don’t think it has anything to do with so called American patriotism.

Also, about being “forced” to shop out in Tokyo and speak Japanese, I don’t think there’s any “forcing” to be done here. When reading about Yokota students, they have pages and pages dedicated to their lives in Japan and their trips off base and what they do. They were lucky at their age to have such an experience in a place like Tokyo, so I don’t think there would be any kind disdain for leaving the base to go out and have fun.

And about not speaking Japanese even though he’s in Japan, why wouldn’t he? It’s where he’s living and the main language of communication.
True, there are foreigners in Japan that go about their lives never learning any Japanese and just getting by with gestures and pointing but these, IMO, are frankly lazy people. Which from the profile we have of the killer he doesn’t seem to be. I wonder if Japanese lessons were offered on or off base for the students and if they took them?
He could surely survive on base with no Japanese but since it’s documented that those kids spent a lot of time off base having fun, I would struggle to believe he had no language skills whatsoever.

All MOO.

I would struggle to believe he had no language skills whatsoever.
I believe Yokota offers Japanese courses and many students take it? Also, as insular as Japan can be, you can absolutely buy things speaking only a handful of phrases (especially in Tokyo)--there might be a challenge, but it's definitely possible (still grateful to the people who were gracious with me the first time I was in Japan, when I didn't know very much!). And ofc there's substantial reason to think a military kid on base would have a lot more language skills.

Plus, if the killer is Korean-American, there's a good chance he speaks at least a reasonable level of Korean. The languages actually have a lot of similarities in terms of syntax--more than they do with English, and occasional similar vocabulary. Not enough to be mutually intelligible, but enough to where someone who grew up knowing Korean would probably have an easier time learning Japanese than someone who only grew up knowing English.

Along those lines, for the clothing -- when I lived in Asia I'd buy and wear what was local because it's easier, even when at some points living in more western bubbles (international schools). It's also not like the clothes found, although Japanese or Korean brands, are different articles of clothing than you'd find in the US (it wasn't, like, a yukata). The shirt could easily have been worn by any American. I don't personally think it's far fetched to think someone would have bought the shirt at a local shop and worn it. But just my musings from my own experiences!

Some random facts to consider:

1718776400110.png

1. Exits are monitored by security personnel who check identification and ensure only authorised individuals enter or leave.
  2. In the Miyazawa family murder case, forensic analysis indicated that water used to launder the killer's clothes was "hard" water (hardness 121-180 mg/L). This was determined through the presence of a high concentration of minerals like calcium and magnesium in the water residues left on the clothing fibres.
  3. Generally, Tokyo's tap water is considered "soft" to "moderate" (0 to 120mg/L)
  4. The water softness at Yokota Air Base typically measures around 80 mg/L or approximately 4.7 grains per gallon, classifying it as "moderate" according to the general hardness scale. Drinking Water Quality Annual Report
  5. Pets are restricted on the base by Yokota Housing (only with special permission). "FH residents are authorized to keep fish, caged birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, or gerbils in standard cages/containers (no more than three total)." "UH (dormitory) residents are authorized to keep fish, caged birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, or gerbils in standard cages/containers (no more than three total)." Yokota Housing

Last edited:
It’s feasible in that there’s nothing to disprove it. Certainly, I have nothing concrete against the idea. But once several people are planning this murder it becomes a conspiracy and it makes the personal angle seem less likely — at least to me. And it raises the question: why? If the killer is driven by rage, it at least makes sense as it were. If several people are in on it, what’s the driver?

And here we come up to the point of not knowing anything about the family.
We really, really don't know anything about them.

Multiply our typical "de mortius, nil nisi bonum" approach with Japanese respect of privacy, plus their concern about the relatives' feelings...maybe there was nothing known about the family. But supposedly there was... would we, or the whole world, be made aware?
Probably, not.
Maybe there was something to investigate, but LE ran into dead ends.

But sometimes I wonder if the murderer either got very angry with one of the adults for perceived "ruining someone's life" or thought that the Miyazawas could report someone's slight and ruining a person's life/family/career.

Unless he didn't want to stand out in US clothes? I looked at his outfit - it didn't attract much attention.

Some random facts to consider:

View attachment 511537

1. Exits are monitored by security personnel who check identification and ensure only authorised individuals enter or leave.
  2. In the Miyazawa family murder case, forensic analysis indicated that water used to launder the killer's clothes was "hard" water (hardness 121-180 mg/L). This was determined through the presence of a high concentration of minerals like calcium and magnesium in the water residues left on the clothing fibres.
  3. Generally, Tokyo's tap water is considered "soft" to "moderate" (0 to 120mg/L)
  4. The water softness at Yokota Air Base typically measures around 80 mg/L or approximately 4.7 grains per gallon, classifying it as "moderate" according to the general hardness scale. Drinking Water Quality Annual Report
  5. Pets are restricted on the base by Yokota Housing (only with special permission). "FH residents are authorized to keep fish, caged birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, or gerbils in standard cages/containers (no more than three total)." "UH (dormitory) residents are authorized to keep fish, caged birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, or gerbils in standard cages/containers (no more than three total)." Yokota Housing

I would agree about the car. Plus, I wonder if the parents would be concerned about potential AFB liability in case if a teenager drives a car in overpopulated Tokyo and hits someone local. To add to it, Tokyo subway system is great.

There is a chance that someone could take a car, drive to the closest subway, leave it there for the night and then drive back from the subway. But I suspect that all leaves/returns were registered. It is a foreign military base, I guess the concerns around such institutions are only too obvious, and all leaves/returns, especially at night, would be duly registered.

Adding to all the excellent discussion points here, I would also draw attention to the killers appetite. He eats a Japanese home style meal, and then after the meals, drinks cold barley tea instead of cola or beer.

Those choices are the killer’s innate choices, and that would indicate someone Japanese or a foreigner decently assimilated into the Japanese culture.

Re : entry and exit being regulated at Yokota. I think @FacelessPodcast has mentioned plenty of kids going in and out of that AFB, so I dunno what the regulations are or how they are enforced.

I do find it a bit sus though, that potentially underage USA kids are driving around unsupervised in those cars. Is that feasible, would nobody catch them or authorities simply ignore that? If its the latter, it would seem American kids have more freedom in Japan than Japanese kids.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo
Back