Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. @FacelessPodcast did some research that was confirmed by some former US servicemen.

There is a long standing, active treaty between the US and Japan that allows the US to bring in military staff and their dependents outside the authority of the Japanese government. These people enter, and leave Japan solely under US military auspices.

As a result, an individual connected to the base could commit the murders, then depart, with out the Japanese knowing it.

Though I have a completely unfounded suspicion that the Japanese could be given a courtesy copy list of the names and place of assignment of the people the US brings in for base staffing purposes, the entry and departure of these people are not subject to Japanese review.
Do you know if family members of military members are subject to customs declaration? I've tried researching, but not coming up with answers. I ask in relation to the amount of money taken from the Miyazawa home. I've wondered if the killer took only an amount, combined with what he personally owned, that wouldn't be subject to customs declaration. While it may seem trivial after committing such a horrible crime, I wonder if he was careful not to put up any possible roadblocks to his departure. I remember travel in the late 90's being kind of a pain regarding customs. Flight attendants really pounded the point, almost to the point of scaring you. I wonder if the military on the base may have also impressed upon this issue. If he was a younger person, this might have been overly impactful.

The amount of money the killer took, and left behind has been one of the main sticking points for me. I feel like there's a major clue regarding this subject.

The Yakuza theory makes no sense whatsoever. Such clumsy kills with such an inadequate weapon rules that out in my view. Also why would he knowingly leave behind his fingerprint and stuff behind if he is a career criminal or even a wannabe criminal . Seems not too feasible

Do you know if family members of military members are subject to customs declaration? I've tried researching, but not coming up with answers. I ask in relation to the amount of money taken from the Miyazawa home. I've wondered if the killer took only an amount, combined with what he personally owned, that wouldn't be subject to customs declaration. While it may seem trivial after committing such a horrible crime, I wonder if he was careful not to put up any possible roadblocks to his departure. I remember travel in the late 90's being kind of a pain regarding customs. Flight attendants really pounded the point, almost to the point of scaring you. I wonder if the military on the base may have also impressed upon this issue. If he was a younger person, this might have been overly impactful.

The amount of money the killer took, and left behind has been one of the main sticking points for me. I feel like there's a major clue regarding this subject.

Yes, I would think custom forms would have to be filled out especially when travelling private and not in active military service.

The money could also have been taken as some form of souvenir
Interesting possibility! The money issue is one that sticks with me the most. If he's going to take any, why not take it all?

Another theory I've considered is he took only the smaller denomination bills. I know Japan was a cash society then. But to a lesser extent, so too was America at this time, and having larger denomination bills stood out. Even today. More so with a younger person. I know that at around the suspected age of the killer, if I were carrying larger denomination bills it would definitely stand out. Especially with my parents.

Do you know if family members of military members are subject to customs declaration?
Yes, dependents of US servicemen still make US customs declarations when they enter the US. I remember my parents filling out the form and as I got older, also being given the form to fill out.

But.... I never remember our luggage or ourselves being physically searched to confirm that the custom's forms were accurate. There may well have been a degree of deference to military servicemen and especially the families of senior officers where unless there were obvious red flags, the physical checks were going to be token, very token.

Last edited:
Interesting possibility! The money issue is one that sticks with me the most. If he's going to take any, why not take it all?

Another theory I've considered is he took only the smaller denomination bills. I know Japan was a cash society then. But to a lesser extent, so too was America at this time, and having larger denomination bills stood out. Even today. More so with a younger person. I know that at around the suspected age of the killer, if I were carrying larger denomination bills it would definitely stand out. Especially with my parents.
Am I correct in recalling that the money that *was* taken was laying out in the open next to the computer, and the money that *wasn't* taken was in an envelope on a shelf?

The amount he took wasn’t huge. In the year 2000, what it is the amount you have to declare? 10,000+? He would’ve been well below that. Assuming he would go to the length of mentioning it.

You can see videos, albeit it brief, on the Yokota website showing the immigration / landing process. From my conversations with USAF family members etc, it does not sound particularly involved. A kid getting on a plane with a few grand on him might raise an eyebrow. But that’s assuming they would search for it / find it / the killer would declare it. Far more likely he keeps it in his pocket / bag / book, lest the question of provenance arises.

My souvenir theory solves your problem in the sense that the money he took was only a symbolic token and he wasn’t gonna waste any of his time looking for more. The stuff he took qualitatively served its purpose.

I dunno about higher denominations considering Japanese Yen is a weak currency and its a developed country, so I assume that higher denomination bills might not be that out of place.

The amount he took wasn’t huge. In the year 2000, what it is the amount you have to declare? 10,000+? He would’ve been well below that. Assuming he would go to the length of mentioning it.

You can see videos, albeit it brief, on the Yokota website showing the immigration / landing process. From my conversations with USAF family members etc, it does not sound particularly involved. A kid getting on a plane with a few grand on him might raise an eyebrow. But that’s assuming they would search for it / find it / the killer would declare it. Far more likely he keeps it in his pocket / bag / book, lest the question of provenance arises.
Nic, thank you sincerely for your expertise and reply!

I seem to recall the customs process being more involved in the 90's. I know I was randomly searched at least once. I'm wondering if the killer was concerned about the money drawing attention to him, and wanted to avoid the possibility while exiting the country. I wonder if having a large sum of cash on him was something he was concerned would draw attention on him, in one fashion or another.

The other theory I have is the killer needed to exchange the Yen for dollars, or even some other form of currency. As he was leaving the country, and possibly anticipating never returning, he may have wanted to do so. I know many financial institutions limit the dollar amount you can exchange for non-customers. If the killer was younger, he probably didn't have a bank account, as this was very uncommon for young people at the time. Also, exchanging a large sum may have drawn unwanted attention to him. Suppose a family member noticed?

Have the police ever confirmed if Yasuko was on some medication like sleeping pills, anti depressants or like cough medicine on that fateful night?

That might explain why she could not react to Mikio’s scuffle downstairs. It might also explain that she might have reacted to the attacks in a more sluggish manner.

We know that Nina is the first one out of the attic coz she runs to get the First aid kit. Maybe Yasuko realises this a bit late, and runs after her to get her back. This might explain why both of them went towards the killer when he was doing his stuff in the kitchen instead of running away or staying in the attic and alert the neighbours.

Suppose a family member noticed?
Just on this comment, not directly related to the money suspicion, but in the case of a high school student with a family… I actually do think someone in his family noticed what he did and got him out of Japan quickly… he had cuts to both sides of his hands I believe, hadn’t been back home the night of the murder, and as you say… had wads of cash in an amount a teenager likely wouldn’t have had. Not to mention he had bloody shoes (unless he managed to completely clean them before leaving) and entire outfit being left behind.
I think he was noticed… just not by anyone that would report him…
JMO.

would consider this to be far more usual than anyone actively seeking out sanitary pads that weren’t even readily available to the killer.

Half-joking speculation: he did spent some time in the bathroom. What do you do while you’re sitting there? Read, look through the cabinets within reach, oh, look, pads under the sink.

Though I have a completely unfounded suspicion that the Japanese could be given a courtesy copy list of the names and place of assignment of the people the US brings in

When I was stationed at Kadena (Okinawa) we flew in commercial (JAL) and didn’t need passports. ( I didn’t get a passport until after I got out of the AF.)

While I don’t know whether the military provided incoming servicemember info to the local government, it seems the information would have been available from the airlines, if the person in question flew in or out commercially.

She seems like such a lovely human being. Really hope there will be justice for her, or at least that she will know who the culprit is.

Edit: so glad to see you here again, Faceless! Hope you have been doing okay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back