Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DNA limitations are definitely frustrating, New York I’ve learned from following LISK case(s) has restrictions in using genealogy databases due to concerns of privacy issues, I’m afraid that other states may follow. This resource likely surprised everyone, not having regulations established in advance. There obviously needs to be balance and a little bit of common sense especially where there’s specific risk to public safety evidenced by violent criminal actions responsible for the death of multiple victims plus in a manner that’s blatantly without the fear of accountability. I truly don’t understand not utilizing Parabon for possible composite sketch if the act poses no privacy risk with the proper enforcement of controlled measures that’s directed at ensuring privacy. Countries around the world establish measures for controlling risk from nuclear weapons but fail to implement guidance for positively identifying violent criminals responsible for murder and who’s victims are young children- there’s privacy rights but also human rights- JMO, MOO.

I started listening to podcast last night, it’s very well done, recommended to my online podcast group as a must listen.
Yes, I think you're right. I mean the former Chief of this investigation has said "the privacy of the killer is respected but where is the privacy for the victims?" And he's right -- after all, here we are having this conversation, I made a whole podcast about this.

The Japanese Supreme Court clearly has precedent for making exceptions. This very case was used as the exemplar for why the statute of limitations for murder should be removed in Japan -- and it was. Surely, using DNA techniques as extensively as possible in cases of murder should follow suit. Ultimately, all laws can be abused by the authorities. If I were a Japanese citizen, let alone if I lived in Setagaya, I would prefer to live in a world of trust rather than authorities putting their head in the sand when it comes to this type of investigation. That's just my take.

PS thank you for tuning into the podcast, you're very kind to recommend it!

It looks like a white Y-shape to me. Again, I know nothing about human biology but seems odd for compression to occur to specifically. A few nurse friends of mine said it looks like a scar, it's one that didn't get stitches and didn't heal up properly.
That’s funny! I posted above that it looked like a wound that should have had stitches but didn’t. And, I was a nurse in my “former life”. I guess we nurses are on the same page about it.

Yes, I think you're right. I mean the former Chief of this investigation has said "the privacy of the killer is respected but where is the privacy for the victims?" And he's right -- after all, here we are having this conversation, I made a whole podcast about this.

The Japanese Supreme Court clearly has precedent for making exceptions. This very case was used as the exemplar for why the statute of limitations for murder should be removed in Japan -- and it was. Surely, using DNA techniques as extensively as possible in cases of murder should follow suit. Ultimately, all laws can be abused by the authorities. If I were a Japanese citizen, let alone if I lived in Setagaya, I would prefer to live in a world of trust rather than authorities putting their head in the sand when it comes to this type of investigation. That's just my take.

PS thank you for tuning into the podcast, you're very kind to recommend it!

I can certainly understand your frustration having dedicated so much to the case, I was honestly shocked by the DNA information. Wishing you much success in continuing to uncover the truth.

I can certainly understand your frustration having dedicated so much to the case, I was honestly shocked by the DNA information. Wishing you much success in continuing to uncover the truth.
The strictness of Japanese DNA laws also was shocking to me. Before researching the case and listening to the Faceless Podcast I thought the case could be solved easily nowadays with all the advancements in DNA genealogy. All these recent cold cases being solved by using DNA geanolgy in the states most notably the Golden State Killer. Hopefully one day they will ease the laws a bit. Right now unless the killer is a Japanese citizen who commits another crime than the DNA is basically useless.

As for the pictures I agree it looks like a past injury that left a scar. In the second picture his hand is stable and not compressed and I still see a fine pale line that looks like a scar.

I'm guessing most people will think it's a scar. To me (attachment, in which I've edited the contrast curves) it looks more like lower blood due to compression--something like firmly pushing a button and the tip of one's finger goes pale.

That thing you've circled looks (JMO) like part of a pattern of skin with that paleness due to a compression artifact. The exaggerations in my edited photo look like that to me even without the edits. I see you've had a few other replies ... i'm still guessing most people will think "scar." Good luck with whichever malefactor you're hunting! --ken Oh, ETA that I think I can see a pattern of pale veins in the photo, on the back of the hand. Again JMHO.
View attachment 439600
Wow. He’s married. Yikes. Wonder whether, if he is indeed our suspect, wife suspects?

Trying to tie this person into our suspect, I wonder the following:

Regarding the scar on the back of the left hand in the photo above, it’s been said that the killer is thought to have severely wounded the palm of his hand. I can’t remember if it’s known which hand. How does that fit with this scar?

Where did the information about the palm wound come from? I believe LE thought he had a palm wound based on the bloody handkerchief (and maybe something else?) Was the hand wound of the man on the subway a palm wound? If so, could there actually have been two severe hand wounds, but the subway observer only saw one? If there were TWO severe hand wounds, wouldn’t that have been noted and described? Something like “his hands were all cut up”?

Also, I can’t remember if the subway observer said it was the palm. I’ll have to go back and look. Anyway, if there is an additional hand wound, a palm wound, is there a way to confirm such on the man in the photo above?

And, the obvious question? Is it possible to obtain DNA surreptitiously?

ETA: I’m probably using the incorrect term of subway. I think train is correct.

Trying to tie this person into our suspect, I wonder the following:

Regarding the scar on the back of the left hand in the photo above, it’s been said that the killer is thought to have severely wounded the palm of his hand. I can’t remember if it’s known which hand. How does that fit with this scar?

Where did the information about the palm wound come from? I believe LE thought he had a palm wound based on the bloody handkerchief (and maybe something else?) Was the hand wound of the man on the subway a palm wound? If so, could there actually have been two severe hand wounds, but the subway observer only saw one? If there were TWO severe hand wounds, wouldn’t that have been noted and described? Something like “his hands were all cut up”?

Also, I can’t remember if the subway observer said it was the palm. I’ll have to go back and look. Anyway, if there is an additional hand wound, a palm wound, is there a way to confirm such on the man in the photo above?

And, the obvious question? Is it possible to obtain DNA surreptitiously?

ETA: I’m probably using the incorrect term of subway. I think train is correct.
Nobody knows exactly what kind of scar he would have. According to the Chief, his gloves were in a bad way. Gloves, plural. Unless there was a translation issue, it sounds like across three stabbings and two knives, he probably injured both. He looks right-handed to me from photos. But I'm only judging that from one where he's holding a tennis racquet (though as I say above, there are players who practice with their weaker hand).

If you hold a knife in your left hand and (carefully) let it slip, it does end up hitting the area in which he has the cut. But consider that he clashed violently with Mikio who had many defensive wounds, plus they were on the stairs with the killer above and Mikio below, it's hard to know or divine exactly how the knife was hitting and how the killer would have subsequently injured his hands. He also broke his knife off in Mikio's skull but carried on stabbing with the broken knife AND then carried on stabbing with the carving knife after pausing. All of that to say, it's quite possible he had already hurt his right hand but knew he needed to finish the job and switched to his right. Or vice versa.

As for the "wounded man" in Tobu-Nikko station (several hours north of Tokyo), we get into that in the podcast. Basically, he's a mystery. I don't know exactly where on his hand he was injured but from what I heard the bone was exposed which caused significant alarm at the station. Yet he seemed reluctant to go to the hospital. That's the story, anyway. None of it has been verified and when we approached the train company, they refused to comment "by request of the Tokyo MPD". But frankly, the TMPD seem confident he had nothing to do with these murders. I do know that the cops interviewed hundreds of men in the following days with hand injuries. I pressed the Chief on why the man in Nikko wasn't investigated immediately or how anybody describing the injuries over the phone could have known enough to rule a person in or out. But he wouldn't elaborate. Only he seemed sure it was a non-starter.

So, I think the injury to the killer's hand is based on his shredded gloves, the significant amount of blood he lost, and the fact he went through the family's entire first aid kit.

And by obtaining DNA, do you mean at TN Station? One interesting point, while it's not yet legal in Japan to use DNA in the way that it is in the USA or Europe, there is an exception. If the family of the victims own the house where the murder occurred, technically the killer's DNA at that property belongs to them and they're free to do with it what they will. This would include sending it abroad to Parabon, Othram, etc. I can't get into too much detail here but a certain relative declined to pursue this... Make of that what you will.

Some more photos of the possible scar. Thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 17.50.06.png

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 17.50.23.png

Last edited:
A fear that I have is that LE (Tokyo) may not want to pursue things that would lead to them losing face. Especially if someone else "solves" the case.
My Japanese friend said she's sure they'll be super annoyed if the break comes from a foreigner / abroad.

But I'm hoping to get to a point where the evidence is incontrovertible so that they'll have no choice. And if they won't, then turn to the media to pressure them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave