Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, thank you so much for answering that! I tried google but hadn’t found the posts. I think you’re right, unlikely to be connected.
As for transcripts, don’t be too sad! I really appreciate all you do, and it is a huge undertaking to have to type up the transcripts into one place, as opposed to doing the ‘transcribe to text as you listen’ option. I wouldn’t like to make more work for you! (It’s my own fault, as I read too fast, lol).

I don't know exactly how the rotations work but if the killer was 18 or so and it's January 2001, I really don't think it would be that difficult for him to come up with a story for a bandage on his hand for an injury sustained over the holidays, and then simply slink off back to the US a few weeks or months later onboard the Patriot Express to attend whatever university. There's been many questions about scrutiny and whatnot. Maybe I'm being naive, but I just can't imagine him being grilled on-base. What are they going to do, start doing an internal investigation on the off-chance the killer was in-house because there's a murder in the news? I'd honestly be willing to bet that a lot of folk on-base in those first few months of 2001 hadn't even heard of these murders. Possibly even to this day. JMO ofc.

For the record, my POI left in exactly the way I've described, his father stayed on-base for a few more years.
Ahh, I was attached to the UK military as both a dependent and as a private contractor and moved dozens of times. To be honest if the killer was a dependent or child of the serving member, you’re right - in order for them to move or return back to the country of military origin they wouldn’t need a return medical (Ie return to USA). No one would notice any hand injuries because there wouldn’t be a search for that. It was, however, standard to have outgoing medical for all serving members and dependants if they were then being posted anywhere except a return to the home military country.
And that does point to a child or dependant, returning back to the States.

Ahh, thank you so much for answering that! I tried google but hadn’t found the posts. I think you’re right, unlikely to be connected.
As for transcripts, don’t be too sad! I really appreciate all you do, and it is a huge undertaking to have to type up the transcripts into one place, as opposed to doing the ‘transcribe to text as you listen’ option. I wouldn’t like to make more work for you! (It’s my own fault, as I read too fast, lol).
Not at all, atomic! In this day and age, something like a transcript should just be the default, or making the podcast as accessible as possible so that anyone can listen irrespective of their situation.

Ahh, I was attached to the UK military as both a dependent and as a private contractor and moved dozens of times. To be honest if the killer was a dependent or child of the serving member, you’re right - in order for them to move or return back to the country of military origin they wouldn’t need a return medical (Ie return to USA). No one would notice any hand injuries because there wouldn’t be a search for that. It was, however, standard to have outgoing medical for all serving members and dependants if they were then being posted anywhere except a return to the home military country.
And that does point to a child or dependant, returning back to the States.
That's super interesting! I wonder if he would've been subject to a medical upon leaving the base too...

I thought this was a good summary without dramatization
Thanks for the post, Vail. Funnily enough, I actually commented on this video because they used my podcast to make it. Agree they did a good job, only a few things they got wrong -- mostly minor. But it's right up there with the best I've seen.

, but are transcripts available for your podcast?
@FacelessPodcast - if you would like us to crowdsource typing up transcripts of this podcast please let us know! I'd help out and take an episode or two. Back in the day, the westwingweekly podcast did this same thing, fans jumped in and typed up transcripts.

I'm absolutely convinced this is the work of an adolescent who lived in a military base with US passport, perhaps fluent in Japanese language and also perhaps the same person who posted on 2chan. In 2000, online chat forums like 2chan were only used by people who were pretty deeply connected to the Internets, we didn't use Amazon, Facebook, insta.. especially among Japanese. A tech savvy military offspring with a fascination for guns and knives, violence. Totally fits the bill, to me.

@FacelessPodcast - if you would like us to crowdsource typing up transcripts of this podcast please let us know! I'd help out and take an episode or two. Back in the day, the westwingweekly podcast did this same thing, fans jumped in and typed up transcripts.

I'm absolutely convinced this is the work of an adolescent who lived in a military base with US passport, perhaps fluent in Japanese language and also perhaps the same person who posted on 2chan. In 2000, online chat forums like 2chan were only used by people who were pretty deeply connected to the Internets, we didn't use Amazon, Facebook, insta.. especially among Japanese. A tech savvy military offspring with a fascination for guns and knives, violence. Totally fits the bill, to me.
I didn't even consider something like that would be possible, AnyName! That would be absolutely amazing, not just to help those with hearing issues but also because due to various reasons, I never actually got to keep final scripts in the end, I've got a bunch of gaps. What would you need from me to go ahead with something like that? That's so kind :)

RE: your point about chat forums in 2000, absolutely agree. If the killer was plugged into this kind of thing 23 years ago, he wasn't going to just be a casual internet browser. But to be clear, the guy who made the prediction about killing the family wasn't the actual murderer according to the Chief.

@FacelessPodcast - maybe start a private conversation? If anyone else wants to help, we can discuss there privately, and we can email you our transcripts...

As for the video above, it mentions String beans and Sesame seeds were a meal found in his feces.... this is a common Japanese dish- Goma-Ae string beans, usually homemade (NOT something eaten at a restaurant in most cases or purchased at a Konbini) so I agree that this was a home-cooked meal made by a mom.

Last edited:
For now I'm starting on episode 1, Bloodshed- I'll email it to your Gmail, @FacelessPodcast ??? I'm home sick today and tomorrow so i hope it'll be done soon.

If anyone takes episode# 2 please post here!
I am giving you a big low Japanese bow, AnyName. My hero!

Re; email, yes! ‘nicolas.obregon.fox@’

For now I'm starting on episode 1, Bloodshed- I'll email it to your Gmail, @FacelessPodcast ??? I'm home sick today and tomorrow so i hope it'll be done soon.

If anyone takes episode# 2 please post here!
Thank you so very much, friends. What a wonderful community we have here. I know many of us will appreciate it so very, very much.

I don't know exactly how the rotations work but if the killer was 18 or so and it's January 2001, I really don't think it would be that difficult for him to come up with a story for a bandage on his hand for an injury sustained over the holidays, and then simply slink off back to the US a few weeks or months later onboard the Patriot Express to attend whatever university. There's been many questions about scrutiny and whatnot. Maybe I'm being naive, but I just can't imagine him being grilled on-base. What are they going to do, start doing an internal investigation on the off-chance the killer was in-house because there's a murder in the news? I'd honestly be willing to bet that a lot of folk on-base in those first few months of 2001 hadn't even heard of these murders. Possibly even to this day. JMO ofc.

For the record, my POI left in exactly the way I've described, his father stayed on-base for a few more years.

But, the father, of all people might have guessed. And unless he is totally clueless, still take the kid to a doctor upon arrival, maybe even a psychiatrist. I think the problem is, Japan is so far away and in its own world, few people here heard about the case. A psychiatrist may never think of it. Who pushes such cases? The relatives do. They raise noise, then, get invited to shows. We get interested when we can empathize. Japan is too far. So I think if the guy was here, even seen by all doctors, with scars, he could have easily be missed because no one thinks of that case. If people see the scars, they might get a different explanation. A car accident. If the scars are on the arms, they might be easily covered. He doesn’t have a face, either.

But - if he is in the US, he is a danger here. To us.

But, the father, of all people might have guessed. And unless he is totally clueless, still take the kid to a doctor upon arrival, maybe even a psychiatrist. I think the problem is, Japan is so far away and in its own world, few people here heard about the case. A psychiatrist may never think of it. Who pushes such cases? The relatives do. They raise noise, then, get invited to shows. We get interested when we can empathize. Japan is too far. So I think if the guy was here, even seen by all doctors, with scars, he could have easily be missed because no one thinks of that case. If people see the scars, they might get a different explanation. A car accident. If the scars are on the arms, they might be easily covered. He doesn’t have a face, either.

But - if he is in the US, he is a danger here. To us.
If the father was a doctor, he absolutely knew the son had cut himself badly and it probably did take him long to work out how. But what option does he have? Call the TMPD and surrender his son? Or swear him to secrecy? As you say, the second the killer leaves Japan, assuming he does, I think it becomes x1000 easier to avoid justice in this case.

Edit to say that if I am right about the POI, then while he is evading justice, I also do not believe he will re-offend. Obviously I cannot be certain but now he has a family situation and a career, things that he cannot afford to lose. My belief is that has disconnected his past from his persona today, even if he goes back to that night in his mind. JMO.

Yes, he has “his” now. When I look at the photo above of the lovely Miyazawa family, I wonder what kind of evil exists that can destroy, in the most violent way, an entire family, children and all.

I hope and pray that one day there will be a penalty. For both the sake of the family and the killer. There has to be an atonement.

@FacelessPodcast I’m very curious if you think your POI (if he actually is the perpetrator) would be reading about the case online still, and here for instance.

I can be absolutely incorrect, but I feel like number of people who are mixed race, at least half Asian, who was an adolescent in 2000 living on an American military base in Japan with their potentially mixed race family who returned to the US within a few years of the crime has to be a small pool, especially if there’s a specific base in mind, and especially if they were linked to the specific base in the US where the sand was from.

I’m also curious how available those kind of personnel/family records are to the public. I’m sure records exist, whether or not civilians have access to those, I don’t know.

I also wonder, considering the perps DNA is likely to never leave Japan, how hard it would be to get the POI’s DNA *into* Japan. How difficult it would be for LE, or a civilian, to collect a used water bottle, bag it tag it and bring somewhere after a flight over there. (It’s very late, I’m very tired and I’m just rambling now. I’ve known about this case for a long time but it’s been in my heart a lot recently as I’m going to Japan for the first time in March.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member