Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, why would Spanish authorities NOT accept the help of British Police? Just wondering if it creates some sort of issues? Surely the more boots on the ground the better?
They maybe aren’t that keen on the statements his friends are making in the media that the police there aren’t handling it right and that the UK cops need to come over and “take over”. After all that if they ask them to come over, or just accept them coming over, they might think it kind of looks like they are admitting that’s true.

(To be honest I think the friends/family would be better to praise the police and mountain rescue on the ground, a lot of people are putting their own safety at risk to search. Speak to a Home Office/embassy contact directly about any concerns with leadership, rather than the media.)

They maybe aren’t that keen on the statements his friends are making in the media that the police there aren’t handling it right and that the UK cops need to come over and “take over”. After all that if they ask them to come over, or just accept them coming over, they might think it kind of looks like they are admitting that’s true.

(To be honest I think the friends/family would be better to praise the police and mountain rescue on the ground, a lot of people are putting their own safety at risk to search. Speak to a Home Office/embassy contact directly about any concerns with leadership, rather than the media.)
Totally agree with your last point - if they want the help of the Spanish police, they'd be better keeping complaints and criticisms to private conversations with them or the FCO. And I'm sure there are some British ex-pats on the island who could serve as translators if the language barrier continues to be an issue.

There will be an element of "too many cooks spoil the broth" but also the different laws and procedures between the countries could cause issues.
If you go on holiday people need to realise they are going to have to rely on that country’s law enforcement (and follow their laws). It seems very naive that some people in the media have been saying the UK cops can/should jump in and run things to me. ‍

If you go on holiday people need to realise they are going to have to rely on that countries law enforcement (and follow their laws). It seems very naive that some people in the media have been saying the UK cops can/should jump in and run things to me. ‍♀️
Especially as British police have a laundry list of cases where they have messed up (Wayne Couzens to name but one) so they have their own flaws and limitations.

Especially as British police have a laundry list of cases where they have messed up (Wayne Couzens to name but one) so they have their own flaws and limitations.
I mean I saw someone saying the Lancashire police are who should go run this case, and I was like “aren’t they the ones who ran the Nicola Bulley case??” Wasn’t exactly a shining example of controlling the narrative or keeping public trust there if we’re honest!

I mean I saw someone saying the Lancashire police are who should go run this case, and I was like “aren’t they the ones who ran the Nicola Bulley case??” Wasn’t exactly a shining example of controlling the narrative or keeping public trust there if we’re honest!
100% this, same with the police in the Leah Croucher case, I would not want them directing traffic let alone looking for a missing person, the idea our police are superior to other nations is utter nonsense

While I agree with all of the above re: Lucy should be praising the local police and search and rescuers, could it be possible that she said the British Police need to question the two men Jay had stayed with simply because by then they had already returned to England?

I feel like a lot of her statements are being heavily cross examined by the media and online but she's young and her friend she went on holiday is missing, and by all accounts it has seemed like she has done everything in her power to help find him. In my opinion she is panicked and is probably not thinking about how her statements could be potentially misinterpreted. I haven't gotten the impression from anything I have read that she's insulting the local search efforts.

It seems very naive that some people in the media have been saying the UK cops can/should jump in and run things to me. ‍
RSBM

IMO, the tabloid media - at least, the editors that assign priority to stories, decide what space they will occupy ie front page or buried in the filler, how big and outrageous the headlines should be, are far from naive. IMO, they do it deliberately, in a calculated, entirely manipulative manner, to whip up a frenzy in the naive public. IMO they do it purely to make big money from it. It's their business to entertain, not inform.

JMO

edited to clarify

While I agree with all of the above re: Lucy should be praising the local police and search and rescuers, could it be possible that she said the British Police need to question the two men Jay had stayed with simply because by then they had already returned to England?

I feel like a lot of her statements are being heavily cross examined by the media and online but she's young and her friend she went on holiday is missing, and by all accounts it has seemed like she has done everything in her power to help find him. In my opinion she is panicked and is probably not thinking about how her statements could be potentially misinterpreted. I haven't gotten the impression from anything I have read that she's insulting the local search efforts.
I’ve seen a few quotes re: this. I am sure they are worried and frustrated but I’m just not sure how helpful it is.

(Also again, while I understand it’s likely worry and frustration - going to another country and complaining they don’t speak English doesn’t usually go over that well.)

"She revealed a witness went to cops and claimed to have seen Jay sitting on a bench with the pair of men 3.5 miles away in Santiago del Teide."

Just some more details on this unconfirmed sighting

RSBM

IMO, the tabloid media - at least, the editors that assign priority to stories, decide what space they will occupy ie front page or buried in the filler, how big and outrageous the headlines should be, are far from naive. IMO, they do it deliberately, in a calculated, entirely manipulative manner, to whip up a frenzy in the naive public. IMO they do it purely to make big money from it. It's their business to entertain, not inform.

JMO

edited to clarify
I guess I meant the people the media are quoting are maybe naive (giving them the benefit of the doubt). I know the media aren’t!

I’ve seen a few quotes re: this. I am sure they are worried and frustrated but I’m just not sure how helpful it is.

(Also again, while I understand it’s likely worry and frustration - going to another country and complaining they don’t speak English doesn’t usually go over that well.)

I have seen the media say she has slammed local police but I have yet to see a direct quote by her that slams the local efforts. I do agree with your point about complaining they don't speak English as not a good look, but I have not seen any direct quotes from her. To me a lot of it seems like the media playing it up but that is just my opinion.

I have seen the media say she has slammed local police but I have yet to see a direct quote by her that slams the local efforts. I do agree with your point about complaining they don't speak English as not a good look, but I have not seen any direct quotes from her. To me a lot of it seems like the media playing it up but that is just my opinion.
I think they are referring to:

“We are having to do this all by ourselves as Spanish police are not doing a good enough job. They don’t even speak English. It’s been a very slow process here so we need the British police to come out and help them,' she told The Times.

Which was quoted in the above DM link and they linked to The Times.

Just imagine the entitlement of slagging off the police because they don’t speak perfect English and trying to locate your son after he got lost.

<modsnip: unnecessary and insulting to some members>

Moo

Last edited by a moderator:
The temperatures on the Monday in the area- I don’t think heat stroke in 30 minutes is a reality. It isn’t always sunny up there, in fact reporters have commented on drizzle and are often seen in coats in the live shots. Dehydration perhaps, an accident perhaps, but not heat exhaustion.
There is still serious sun up there, even if it’s not that hot you can be sunburned and/or get serious sun poisoning. Dehydration alone is enough of a concern even without that or injury.

Lucy on Spanish police

Few quotes in here with her criticising what the police are doing and saying there was a "lack of urgency".
Thanks for this, I agree she definitely said there was a lack of urgency when she first reported him missing but I think the same could be said about any cops anywhere, especially a tourist destination over a young man who was there to party at a festival. I really cannot see her still claiming there is a lack of urgency.

In my opinion she probably feels responsible to find him in the sense that he sent her his last ping. I really think we need to be commending Lucy on just how much she has done to help instead of critiquing her and tearing everything she says apart. I truly do not think this case would have the media attention or as much urgency as it ended up getting if she hadn't been such a strong advocate for Jay since the start. She has gone above and beyond to help find her friend and I just think calling her out on not being supportive of all the efforts done is not something she needs to read online.

I imagine she feels guilty enough having been the last one to talk to him and not being able to find him. Again just my opinion, and the media has definitely used inflammatory language like "slammed" etc when all she's done is give a factual account that they hung up on her and she had to go in person and believes the language barrier made it difficult for her to express the urgency.

Despite all that she has managed to get the locals (both police and civilians, including the American woman who drove her up to look) invested in helping find her friend. I cannot fault her for anything she has done thus far. If I was in her shoes I'm sure in my panic and frustration I would say much worse. Hence why I think the media has taken advantage of her desperation to find Jay to get more clicks etc etc. Again just my opinion.

Just imagine the entitlement of slagging off the police because they don’t speak perfect English and trying to locate your son after he got lost.

<modsnip: unnecessary and insulting to some members>

Moo
To be fair that quote above was from Lucy. The mum has been a little (?) more diplomatic, although she also allegedly told the Sun she’s been shouting at the cops. (Again, I’m sure they are scared and frustrated but probably not the best way to keep the police there on side!)

(Also if they are struggling to understand the cops shouldn’t the Home Office contacts be connecting them with a translator? You think in this highly covered a case they would.)

Today Jay's worried mum Debbie Duncan has slammed the decision and said she has even screamed and shouted at members of the local force.

She told Mail Online: "I know the Spanish police mean well, but the problem we are having is the language barrier, we just don't seem to be getting told. I'm sure they are doing their best.

"They told me they had used dogs and drones and then they said Lancashire police had offered their resources but they turned it down, but I think that would have really helped.

"I would feel happier if our people were over helping. It's just so difficult not knowing where he is, the area and the terrain is rough, but the police were saying that now there are too many people up there and it could interfere with their investigation."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this, I agree she definitely said there was a lack of urgency when she first reported him missing but I think the same could be said about any cops anywhere, especially a tourist destination over a young man who was there to party at a festival. I really cannot see her still claiming there is a lack of urgency.

In my opinion she probably feels responsible to find him in the sense that he sent her his last ping. I really think we need to be commending Lucy on just how much she has done to help instead of critiquing her and tearing everything she says apart. I truly do not think this case would have the media attention or as much urgency as it ended up getting if she hadn't been such a strong advocate for Jay since the start. She has gone above and beyond to help find her friend and I just think calling her out on not being supportive of all the efforts done is not something she needs to read online.

I imagine she feels guilty enough having been the last one to talk to him and not being able to find him. Again just my opinion, and the media has definitely used inflammatory language like "slammed" etc when all she's done is give a factual account that they hung up on her and she had to go in person and believes the language barrier made it difficult for her to express the urgency.

Despite all that she has managed to get the locals (both police and civilians, including the American woman who drove her up to look) invested in helping find her friend. I cannot fault her for anything she has done thus far. If I was in her shoes I'm sure in my panic and frustration I would say much worse. Hence why I think the media has taken advantage of her desperation to find Jay to get more clicks etc etc. Again just my opinion.
I agree, she seems to have really tried to get help and managed to go look herself when the police wouldn’t help her straight away. The media will definitely be looking for the “juiciest” quotes they can get.

I think in an ideal world the friends and family probably need someone advising them though and should just have one person making statements right now that are looked over by someone with at least media training, because the Spanish police and authorities are going to see this stuff and it’s likely going to rub them the wrong way. Just my thoughts and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95