Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be an element of "too many cooks spoil the broth" but also the different laws and procedures between the countries could cause issues.
Agree and what are some British cops going to contribute, anyway? The only kind of useful help I could see offered would be from other SAR teams experienced in similar type terrain, like from the US west coast.

Agree and what are some British cops going to contribute, anyway? The only kind of useful help I could see offered would be from other SAR teams experienced in similar type terrain, like from the US west coast.
Search and rescue or coastguard would be the right kind of help. Or even mountain rescue given some of the terrain.

They maybe aren’t that keen on the statements his friends are making in the media that the police there aren’t handling it right and that the UK cops need to come over and “take over”. After all that if they ask them to come over, or just accept them coming over, they might think it kind of looks like they are admitting that’s true.

(To be honest I think the friends/family would be better to praise the police and mountain rescue on the ground, a lot of people are putting their own safety at risk to search. Speak to a Home Office/embassy contact directly about any concerns with leadership, rather than the media.)
ABSOLUTELY! Nothing like insulting those risking their own necks to look for him.

If this new sighting of JS turns out to be corroborated by police, surely they will look at relocating the search?

I think as the sighting was Monday evening, and if it was Jay he was with 2 men, it would change the entire investigation entirely

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ont-lost--set-friend-nears-30-000-target.html

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
I can't see the sighting being Jay because of the time of it hence why I said if it was Jay it would change the investigation completely not just the location of the search

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucy on Spanish police

Few quotes in here with her criticising what the police are doing and saying there was a "lack of urgency".
"They told me I’d get a call within 48 hours, but obviously the 48 hours after a person goes missing can be the most crucial.

"I’ve tried to report a 19-year-old is missing with no phone no water he’s never been in this area. There definitely needed to be more urgency."

She was spot on with what she said. She knew something was wrong and felt desperate, which is understandable. That's a common story with missing persons cases and police (not SAR).

Thanks for this, I agree she definitely said there was a lack of urgency when she first reported him missing but I think the same could be said about any cops anywhere, especially a tourist destination over a young man who was there to party at a festival. I really cannot see her still claiming there is a lack of urgency.

In my opinion she probably feels responsible to find him in the sense that he sent her his last ping. I really think we need to be commending Lucy on just how much she has done to help instead of critiquing her and tearing everything she says apart. I truly do not think this case would have the media attention or as much urgency as it ended up getting if she hadn't been such a strong advocate for Jay since the start. She has gone above and beyond to help find her friend and I just think calling her out on not being supportive of all the efforts done is not something she needs to read online.

I imagine she feels guilty enough having been the last one to talk to him and not being able to find him. Again just my opinion, and the media has definitely used inflammatory language like "slammed" etc when all she's done is give a factual account that they hung up on her and she had to go in person and believes the language barrier made it difficult for her to express the urgency.

Despite all that she has managed to get the locals (both police and civilians, including the American woman who drove her up to look) invested in helping find her friend. I cannot fault her for anything she has done thus far. If I was in her shoes I'm sure in my panic and frustration I would say much worse. Hence why I think the media has taken advantage of her desperation to find Jay to get more clicks etc etc. Again just my opinion.
THIS. I was super impressed with how quickly she located that Airbnb. She said the two guys were shocked that she found them. So was I. She might make a good detective.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> Thought it was 2 of the others that were sentenced for drugs and not Jay

"Armstrong and Hargreaves were also sentenced for their involvement in Operation Thunder, an investigation into the supply of drugs in Accrington. The sentence for these offences is reflected in their overall sentence for violent disorder."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen on SM people discussing the photo he took as unusual, but my DS who is 20 has taken these types of pics for years on his Snapchat and I know that's what his other male friends often do too, not of cigarettes as they don't smoke but just a quick snap from their phone at the angle it is in the hand. They do it to keep up their streaks and I guess it's become it's own style of sharing in this age group.

IMO the police won't for one second need telling that these tracking map locations can be inaccurate! I've used trackers and they often stick at the last point a signal was detected, more so in rural areas and built up areas, then they kick back in at the next signal point giving a line to the new point 'as the crow flies'. Still useful for info and most of the time you can get a good idea of the general area they were in but they can bounce around a little bit.

Thought it was 2 of the others that were sentenced for drugs and not Jay

"Armstrong and Hargreaves were also sentenced for their involvement in Operation Thunder, an investigation into the supply of drugs in Accrington. The sentence for these offences is reflected in their overall sentence for violent disorder."
Ahhh okay, I was reading the judge's sentencing quotes and the way he said it make it sound like the whole group was involved with the drugs. Apologies if I got that wrong.

“IMO the police won't for one second need telling that these tracking map locations can be inaccurate!”

Just yesterday my son and his mates had their last school assembly and went for a gathering in a field near mine. One of the mums messaged me saying the boys were miles away in a dodgy area and sent me the map location. They were nowhere near there, I could see them, it was miles out. Not to be taken as gospel!

One of the pics that was realised, the one with cigarette in hand, and funny looking pants, confuses me it looks like it's pointing to the floor, but has a window/ opening to the left, or is it just me ?

My post showing the location of Jay’s last photo got deleted for not having links, so here it is again. He was standing on the doorstep looking out.

Apologies for it being the Mirror, first source that came up although these pics are all over the news sites.

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5718.jpeg
    IMG_5718.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
My post showing the location of Jay’s last photo got deleted for not having links, so here it is again.

Apologies for it being the Mirror, first source that came up although these pics are all over the news sites.
I thought it might be a sofa throw or curtain but can't see it in any of the photos albeit was probably a blanket stored in wardrobe

Edited to add I think its been removed from Airbnb

I’m so puzzled why anyone going to a festival would book an AirBnB bloody miles away from the party. Yeah it might only be £40 a night but then you need a car, and petrol, and time to get anywhere. Why not pay a bit more and be nearby? Wonder how long they were staying there. Wholesome hiking holiday followed by a rave? Hmmm.

I’m so puzzled why anyone going to a festival would book an AirBnB bloody miles away from the party. Yeah it might only be £40 a night but then you need a car, and petrol, and time to get anywhere. Why not pay a bit more and be nearby? Wonder how long they were staying there. Wholesome hiking holiday followed by a rave? Hmmm.
Booked for Friday to Monday but they ended up checking out on Tuesday. I find it odd also.

"was rented out by the two men from Friday to Monday but they stayed on an extra day after being questioned by police following Jay's disappearance."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdeem713