Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, why would Spanish authorities NOT accept the help of British Police? Just wondering if it creates some sort of issues? Surely the more boots on the ground the better?
I think there is reputational ego at stake plus tbh why should British police be any more useful? It’s not their terrain, they’re not better at arid mountain rescue, they don’t know Tenerife, or the criminal element. There will be a lot of international eyes and pressure on this case as well as likely behind the scenes diplomatic channels, I highly doubt the British police are needed.

I’m so puzzled why anyone going to a festival would book an AirBnB bloody miles away from the party
I also find this a very odd place to choose to stay. Apparently it's more frequented by hikers. It is a very scenic spot and probably a nicer place to relax after a rave, compared to the more touristy parts of the Island. I have read that the drive there is quite scary, navigating along the narrow mountain roads, so much so that people sometimes provide a round of applause for the bus driver - Not something you would want to be navigating multiple times after several nights out in a row.

“IMO the police won't for one second need telling that these tracking map locations can be inaccurate!”

Just yesterday my son and his mates had their last school assembly and went for a gathering in a field near mine. One of the mums messaged me saying the boys were miles away in a dodgy area and sent me the map location. They were nowhere near there, I could see them, it was miles out. Not to be taken as gospel!
I don't understand the pin on the map thing or what, exactly, can be determined about someone's location based on cell phone pings. I always thought that cell locations were usually based on triangulation between nearest towers but, I guess, that's not correct or the only way it's done. Some places must have just one tower, right? So, when a phone shows it's connected to any tower, how is it determined where someone is/was precisely standing when the towers cover such a broad area? I've followed two cases here, both Idaho locations, where in one the phone was pinpointed exactly on the spots where bodies were buried (Vallow-Daybell case) and another where the phone was triangulated to a rather wide area (Kelsey Berreth case). I'd like to better understand this.

Booked for Friday to Monday but they ended up checking out on Tuesday. I find it odd also.

"was rented out by the two men from Friday to Monday but they stayed on an extra day after being questioned by police following Jay's disappearance."

Just to add: that would also put them at more than double the distance from Tenerife South airport. Unless they flew into Tenerife North, but I’ve just checked and they only do flights from Spain and Venezuela.

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpeg
    IMG_5719.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 20
I’m so puzzled why anyone going to a festival would book an AirBnB bloody miles away from the party. Yeah it might only be £40 a night but then you need a car, and petrol, and time to get anywhere. Why not pay a bit more and be nearby? Wonder how long they were staying there. Wholesome hiking holiday followed by a rave? Hmmm.
In some of the articles posted here it said they were just there for three days. I think it was Friday-Monday but they ended up not leaving until Tuesday.

I don't understand the pin on the map thing or what, exactly, can be determined about someone's location based on cell phone pings. I always thought that cell locations were usually based on triangulation between nearest towers but, I guess, that's not correct or the only way it's done. Some places must have just one tower, right? So, when a phone shows it's connected to any tower, how is it determined where someone is/was precisely standing when the towers cover such a broad area? I've followed two cases here, both Idaho locations, where in one the phone was pinpointed exactly on the spots where bodies were buried (Vallow-Daybell case) and another where the phone was triangulated to a rather wide area (Kelsey Berreth case). I'd like to better understand this.

I believe these days locations on phones are GPS rather than cell mast triangulation. With masts it’s based on the strength of the ping to each mast. So if two masts have stronger pings but the third is weak, they calculate the most likely distance/direction of the location. Two masts would be less accurate. In the case of only one mast, I guess it shows more of a radius rather than direction.

Last edited:
I believe the tracking of precise locations in the Vallow/Daybell trial were found in Alex Cox's phone, which FBI physically seized. So they got into its internal memory, with precise GPS tracking - which is how GMaps knows where you are when you bring it up.

So, Jay could see for himself exactly where he was and how far to the resort (10 hr walk, I think he said in his phone call to Lucy). Of course, when his phone powered off, all that info was gone for him.

I don't know specifically about Snapchat, different apps use different systems.

JMO

I believe these days locations on phones are GPS rather then cell mast triangulation. With masts it’s based on the strength of the ping to each mast. So if two masts have stronger pings but the third is weak, they calculate the most likely distance/direction of the location. Two masts would be less accurate. In the case of only one mast, I guess it shows more of a radius rather than direction.
If GPS is satellite, how does that work with cell phones? I thought to communicate by satellite that it required a satellite phone (expensive).

If GPS is satellite, how does that work with cell phones? I thought to communicate by satellite that it required a satellite phone (expensive).
An automatic GPS tracking receiver is built into all smartphones and is a simple little tool. It just does one thing: contacts specific satellites to determine the gps location, and the exact time, that's all it does.

Being able to receive and transmit messages, photos, etc, via satellite is much more complicated, and expensive. I can't imagine how many hundreds of thousands of satellites we'd need to handle all the data people send via towers.

JMO

An automatic GPS tracking receiver is built into all smartphones and is a simple little tool. It just does one thing: contacts specific satellites to determine the gps location, and the exact time, that's all it does.

Being able to receive and transmit messages, photos, etc, via satellite is much more complicated, and expensive. I can't imagine how many hundreds of thousands of satellites we'd need to handle all the data people send via towers.

JMO
I don't mean to be pedantic but your GPS does not contact satellites - it just receives signals from those satellites to compute your position using software on your phone. Your phone never "talks" to the satellites.

If they're using GPS data then that data would have to be transmitted from your phone over the internet for the police to find a location.

I’m so puzzled why anyone going to a festival would book an AirBnB bloody miles away from the party. Yeah it might only be £40 a night but then you need a car, and petrol, and time to get anywhere. Why not pay a bit more and be nearby? Wonder how long they were staying there. Wholesome hiking holiday followed by a rave? Hmmm.
Possibly late plans and everything booked up? Maybe they decided last min to go to the rave even as they were in the area and just found out about it that evening? Many reasons I guess. I'm not always so methodical about where I stay as I explore where I stay and also much further out.

Booked for Friday to Monday but they ended up checking out on Tuesday. I find it odd also.

"was rented out by the two men from Friday to Monday but they stayed on an extra day after being questioned by police following Jay's disappearance."
Helping with the investigation?

THIS. I was super impressed with how quickly she located that Airbnb. She said the two guys were shocked that she found them. So was I. She might make a good detective.
Too late to edit but wanted to add that something completely different could be happening here. Maybe she already knew where this place was and, perhaps, knew the guys staying there. I admit, I'm often too quick to take things at face value.

I don't mean to be pedantic but your GPS does not contact satellites - it just receives signals from those satellites to compute your position using software on your phone. Your phone never "talks" to the satellites.

If they're using GPS data then that data would have to be transmitted from your phone over the internet for the police to find a location.
Would that mean something like a Tracfone (aka burner) without an ISP would not be storing the locations where the user had been? For example, Alex Cox's movements were traced right to where he buried victims (Vallow-Daybell case) but he always used burners (and more than one) so it doesn't seem likely he would have added internet when he was just making calls calls and sending texts.

Hi Everyone,
Because of the massive amount of alerts we received on this thread overnight we have to close it for now. It will re-open in the morning.
Tricia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member