Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

"Today feels like the beginning

of one last push

to try to find missing teenager.

1719644725149.png

In a corner of Tenerife,
a winding, narrow road takes you towards a small village called Masca.
At points on the route, the view of the sea below and the mountains above is breathtaking.

In the 13 days since the disappearance of Jay Slater,
a 19-year-old apprentice bricklayer from Lancashire,
the hikers and tourists who come to Masca have been joined by two more groups of people.

The first are the emergency services,
including the civil guard, volunteer firefighters
and mountain rescue teams
carrying out the so-far unsuccessful search for Jay.

The second group are journalists,
trying to understand a case shrouded in speculation and questions.

It's a period that promises to be pivotal,
with the Spanish Civil Guard calling on volunteer agencies such as Civil Protection and firefighters,
as well as
'individual volunteers who are experts in rugged search terrain'.

In a case that has seen every twist and turn followed in places well beyond the rugged terrain of North West Tenerife,
today feels like the beginning of one last push to try to find Jay Slater."

Summary of this case

"Volunteers to begin huge search for Jay Slater.

The search will focus on the ravines and trails around the village of Masca in the Rural de Teno national park,

and will start from the Mirador de la Cruz de Hilda restaurant at 09:00 BST.

1719645594006.png

Specially trained dogs have been used in the search."

Last edited:
Has the searched area changed or set to change since the information from Brad and the telephone call came to light (walking on stones, falling)?
A good question, and one I have been asking myself. If the search area HAS changed, where is the new search area in relation to the original one, and what clues or evidence were available in Brad's information to allow them to pinpoint a new area to focus on?

A good question, and one I have been asking myself. If the search area HAS changed, where is the new search area in relation to the original one, and what clues or evidence were available in Brad's information to allow them to pinpoint a new area to focus on?
And if the search area has changed in light of Brad’s information, could that mean that the Police did not know about it before now? Surely they would have had this info very early on and if not, why would he take this long to provide it?

Has the searched area changed or set to change since the information from Brad and the telephone call came to light (walking on stones, falling)?

And if the search area has changed in light of Brad’s information, could that mean that the Police did not know about it before now? Surely they would have had this info very early on and if not, why would he take this long to provide it?

We’ve not really been privy to the rationale for search areas, so we’re unlikely to know if it has changed or not.

Tbh if my son was potentially dead in that sort of terrain I’d be grateful for anyone trying to locate him. I wouldn’t care if they were only helping to up their TikTok followers, I’d just be glad they were out searching.

Of course.

The problem is not searching
(everybody in their right mind is grateful)
but...
discrediting local LE.

And THAT makes a difference.

JMO

Its a bit odd as the kidnap / third party involvement theories didnt start from tiktok or conspiracy accounts but the official family & friends public comments in week 1.
I think that's fairly easily explained. From the beginning, the most logical explanation was that he was lost or injured or both. In that situation, within 48 hours of the last contact anyone had with him, the odds that he was still alive were slim to none.

At that point it makes sense that his family would want to consider an alternative, however implausible, in which he might still be alive, e.g. tied up in a house or a cheap hotel room somewhere until his captors demand a ransom.

It goes without saying, but I sincerely hope they find him so she his mother doesn't end up clutching at straws for the rest of her life. Knowing how the internet works, there'd be rumoured "sightings" for decades.

Tbh if my son was potentially dead in that sort of terrain I’d be grateful for anyone trying to locate him. I wouldn’t care if they were only helping to up their TikTok followers, I’d just be glad they were out searching.

Exactly, Coco! Not sure why people are criticising someone who has been actively looking for Jay. It just comes across as snidey to be honest.

Fingers crossed loads of searchers turn up today, get some more squares on the grid ticked off.

If this is in the context of downtherapids/Paul Arnott. He does nothing but praise the police & SAR efforts.
Absolutely agree, all I’ve heard is praise from him about the search over there. Also, JMO , he might be looking for the views/likes but this guy is a good guy. He helps Scottish mountain rescue ( all made of volunteers) and raising a lot of charity money for them too.
I don’t think there’s any malice with what this guy is doing, he’s one of the good guys and I feel that he genuinely cares.

From the sun

One of Jay's pals who has flown to Tenerife to help in the search told detectives the alleged theft may have led to the Lancashire lad wandering off on his own to try and find the watch

What’s the basis for this? Do they know what he would do? Or are they saying that what he has done? Feels a random statement

From the sun

One of Jay's pals who has flown to Tenerife to help in the search told detectives the alleged theft may have led to the Lancashire lad wandering off on his own to try and find the watch

What’s the basis for this? Do they know what he would do? Or are they saying that what he has done? Feels a random statement
"Find the watch" in endless Masca ravines, miles away from where it was stolen, is a very strange goal. Stranger than most other things we have heard.
I'd find it more logical if one would go there to not be noticed on the roads after stealing said watch, but I don't want to imply that it is what could have happened as we don't have any serious indications for that.

Last edited:
Has it? He's certainly been waffling on that he's been working in tandem with authorities, but he's very much on his own in every single video I've seen of him so far.
It's nice that he's giving the family some hope, but let's not pretend this guy is some authority on mountain rescue or wilderness survival.
The bloke is a hiking/travel influencer who is very much exploiting the Jay Slater case to increase his online presence and followers count. I'm getting distinct Walter Mitty vibes from him.

His videos all seem to consist of him saying something along the lines of:

"Hi, guys. *begins waving hand about frantically* So, I'm literally just going back put to where I was yesterday. There's literally this cactus that looks literally like the kind of cactus we think Jay might have literally cut his leg on before he literally fell down the hill, yeah? I'll literally update you all in a few hours. Stay safe!'

I appreciate that you (and quite a few others) are fond of this guy. But as a cynic, all I'm seeing is another influencer taking advantage of the situation for his own personal benefit.

You know more about this guy than I do, though - what are his actual qualifications? What's his background?

JMO
That's opinion not fact. Of course he is on his own as they have their own areas to check. You know he had to prove his experience before he was even allowed to search? That he recently helped to find the father and son in Scotland that were missing? He is hardly inexperienced . He also has to pay for his accommodation out there ..some of the money from lives is going to a charity up Scotland that he would have been raising money for had he not gone to Tenerife. He could die any time he goes out searching..not sure how he's taking advantage of anyone

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back