Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

Given that the two older men are presumably the last people to have seen Jay Slater alive, does anyone else find it a tad strange that when they returned to the UK, police didn't want to speak with them? According to statements from British police, they have no intention of even interviewing them. Yes, I appreciate that Jay probably got injured and this is misadventure etc, but even so, given that nobody is clear as to why he went with these two men, surely they are still relevant to some extent?
They have been cleared fully by the Spanish police who did actually interview them. Link upthread, The Mirror.

Given that the two older men are presumably the last people to have seen Jay Slater alive, does anyone else find it a tad strange that when they returned to the UK, police didn't want to speak with them? According to statements from British police, they have no intention of even interviewing them. Yes, I appreciate that Jay probably got injured and this is misadventure etc, but even so, given that nobody is clear as to why he went with these two men, surely they are still relevant to some extent?
It's a Spanish police investigation. They've apparently already talked to the two men. They would have asked them to phone them if they thought of anything else that might be helpful. They could also phone the two men to ask them more questions. The British police don't need to do this, it's not their investigation and they are not privy to all the relevant facts.

"Because at the stage we’re at, we need to start ruling areas out, and need to be sure that the areas we’re searching - even though you may have already done a lot of work in the last few days - is looked at really thoroughly, and then can be ruled out."

In the latest police update about the search, Martin said: "It’s going to be - obviously - based off of the evidence that we have.
1719680742691.jpeg
"And the evidence that we have is: his last position, the conversations he had that last day [before he disappeared], and we will centre the search around this area."

When asked if the Civil Guard is keeping an open mind about what happened, Martin replied: "Yes, at the moment, yes. While we still don’t know, we’re not going to posit any theories. Various lines [of enquiry] are being worked on.

"We have searched the Masca area, the Barranco de San Lopez area and the Barranco Retamar, Barranco de las Aneas, Barranco de Carrizales, we have searched the whole area. We know to a certain science that he was here because the coverage of his phone its undeniable that he was around this point.

According to the article, it was a friend of Jay's who suggested that Jay had perhaps gone looking for the watch.
This speculation could have been prompted by the journalist asking leading questions of the 'friend', ie. 'D'you think Jay could've gone looking for the watch, maybe?' and the friend says 'yeah, perhaps'.
It makes little sense anyway.
If a watch gets stolen in or around a venue with hundreds of people milling around in various states of inebriation or whatever and it's dark, noisy and confusing, how on earth could someone have any hope whatsoever of finding a watch that has just been stolen?
To steal a watch requires forcing it off someone's wrist, surely?
That means the thief isn't exactly a reasonable person who'd just hand it back if someone asked them to.
And you'd have to have witnessed the theft in order to attempt to retrieve the watch from whoever stole it.
But if you knew the thief/thieves... well, I guess you might decide there's some hope of retrieving it for the poor owner.
But why would you get involved unless you're some kind of superhero who fears nothing and no-one, cares deeply about justice and morality and cannot just stand back and allow people to be subjected to crime and violence?
Rolexes in particular I know submariners are very easily to steal off the wrist.
I had an annoversary edition one (now stolen) and its literally just a clip which wears down over use and can even come undone itself. Extremely easy if you “get into a scuffle” to snatch it off.

I also speculate, that if the fleeing with a watch theory is somewhat right, it might be thar he was hurt during the fight the night before and told that to Lucy. The "cut by a cactus" report from her may have been just to avoid telling the police where the injury came from but still to have them worried enough to start search. This is entirely my speculation though, hope it's OK to post!

Has it been confirmed if Jay did or did not have any money on him? A taxi would obviously have cost a lot more than a bus but if we was wanting back to Los Christianos quickly, a taxi would have been an option. I wonder if he possibly didn’t have a lot of money on him. I hope they find him but I also wonder how long they will keep searching as the cost of resources will be mounting up financially. When they do decide to scale down the search, it will be interesting to see what his family say.

Snipped by me for focus

Lucy's sense of urgency was apparent from the very beginning. It is something I have always been curious about.
I agree. The speed of her going to the Police, her getting a lift up there, locating the airbnb - makes it look like she knew more and/or he was in serious trouble.

I also speculate, that if the fleeing with a watch theory is somewhat right, it might be thar he was hurt during the fight the night before and told that to Lucy. The "cut by a cactus" report from her may have been just to avoid telling the police where the injury came from but still to have them worried enough to start search. This is entirely my speculation though, hope it's OK to post!
I think if the cuts from a cactus/other injuries were bad enough to need a cover story there would be visible blood evidence on the ground. It's totally normal imo that an untravelled teen who finds himself in usual terrain after a laughing call with one friend would be bigging up a cactus scratch for lols.

I don't get the impression that any of the parties involved here are master criminals spinning any kind of web of lies, they are teens who find themselves caught up in something they maybe don't have the maturity to act in a way that more mature outsiders think they would act.

Is anyone posting here a current active participant in the Tenerife rave/drug culture?

JMO

Has it been confirmed if Jay did or did not have any money on him? A taxi would obviously have cost a lot more than a bus but if we was wanting back to Los Christianos quickly, a taxi would have been an option. I wonder if he possibly didn’t have a lot of money on him. I hope they find him but I also wonder how long they will keep searching as the cost of resources will be mounting up financially. When they do decide to scale down the search, it will be interesting to see what his family say.
Unless he could find someone with a working phone he wouldn't have any way to contact a taxi money or not would he?

I agree. The speed of her going to the Police, her getting a lift up there, locating the airbnb - makes it look like she knew more and/or he was in serious trouble.
I would have been panicked if a friend said they were lost in the mountains with no phone battery. I’ve certainly panicked for less! I think she was reasonably urgent.

The locating the airbnb is interesting, I'm not saying it's relevant where Jay is but there is something missing about how she was able to get to a remote airbnb so quickly

I would have been panicked if a friend said they were lost in the mountains with no phone battery. I’ve certainly panicked for less! I think she was reasonably urgent.
Yep! I would have been beside myself, and knowing what I know about resources and missing persons reports, I would have said and did what I could to get the urgency across that waiting to see if he turns up isn't an option.

Snipped by me for focus

Lucy's sense of urgency was apparent from the very beginning. It is something I have always been curious about.
I think there is possible deception by critical 'missing information' in Lucy's account. Of course, all we have are her words recorded by msm but how much non-published additional information did Lucy provide investigators? She could have told them all she knew...or not.

Now with the watch theory being spoken about it's worth remembering the quote from Lucy in the early days of the search
"I'd left the festival to come back to my hotel early because I was tired. Jay had stayed on with two new friends he'd made and a guy who we'd come with so there were four of them"

There was a fourth person with them, could have been Brad but people seem to think he went home early too.
How many people were they on the trip with? We only know of Lucy, jay and Brad so far...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back