Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean this would all have to happen through Spanish channels and social media groups which hardly anyone seems to be following. Plus there's a bunch of other factors to this - is the family being supported well through the process? Do they feel like there's a language barrier (I think I remember them complaining that the police/search team didn't speak English to them but also... could just be a social media thing)

I think his family's behaviour during this has been a mess - though it's hardly ever normal in these situations in general tbf - but a lot of people are approaching this from a "this would happen in the UK" perspective/that it has happened before

Is the place he was travelling through actually driven through frequently? Are we super sure they haven't appealed for any information?
There's people like Isla and Mark who could help them with this apparently he is Working hard with the family and he doesn't seem to have a problem appealing in the press tho that seems more for his own needs. I'm sure they could be advised

Initial reports claimed Jay met the two unnamed men the night before while out with friends, before going back to the Masca Airbnb with them. But now friend Brad has said they actually met days earlier, sparking confusion over what really happened.
In her report, she said: "The two men that he went to go and stay with, they had met them three days before. They hung out with them, they made friends on holiday. It wasn't two random people he'd met that night. They'd established a friendship and Brad said they seemed like really cool guys."

Witness testimony is considered evidence in legal contexts. It is classified as testimonial evidence, which consists of statements made by witnesses under oath, typically during a trial.
These particular witnesses were neither under oath when they made their statements, nor part of an active criminal investigation.

I agree that there are some glaring inconsistencies with some of the witness statements. I'm certain that local LE will have also picked up on these inconsistencies, but whether they decide to pursue a criminal investigation is anybody guess.

I think it's important to look at this disappearance from a Spanish perspective rather than a British one. If an adolescent male Spanish national disappeared in the UK whilst on a party holiday with friends, how much domestic media interest would it generate? How many man hours and how much money would the local Police be expected to put into the search?
I don't expect the reaction to be any different in Spain (quite probably even more lukewarm, considering how much of the Spanish view British tourists).

Unless Jay's body is recovered exhibiting some clear signs of foul play, or the Spanish police uncover some unequivocal evidence indicating that a crime has taken place, I suspect that we're going to hear little more in the ways of updates to this case. It will simply be assumed to be death by misadventure and put to bed.

Initial reports claimed Jay met the two unnamed men the night before while out with friends, before going back to the Masca Airbnb with them. But now friend Brad has said they actually met days earlier, sparking confusion over what really happened.
In her report, she said: "The two men that he went to go and stay with, they had met them three days before. They hung out with them, they made friends on holiday. It wasn't two random people he'd met that night. They'd established a friendship and Brad said they seemed like really cool guys."

and it gets more bizarre

That is only true if we believe they are being truthful . MOO
Well the truth doesn't depend on what we believe.

IMO there is no major conspiracy involving multiple unrelated parties, Brad and the mountain lady haven't been meeting up to concoct a story nor has some mafia style Boss been going round making people all tell a made up tale. The overwhelmingly likely outcome is that a random person will sadly come across a body concealed in undregrowth and for the sake of the family I hope that happens sooner rather than later

MOO

These particular witnesses were neither under oath when they made their statements, nor part of an active criminal investigation.

I agree that there are some glaring inconsistencies with some of the witness statements. I'm certain that local LE will have also picked up on these inconsistencies, but whether they decide to pursue a criminal investigation is anybody guess.

I think it's important to look at this disappearance from a Spanish perspective rather than a British one. If an adolescent male Spanish national disappeared in the UK whilst on a party holiday with friends, how much domestic media interest would it generate? How many man hours and how much money would the local Police be expected to put into the search?
I don't expect the reaction to be any different in Spain (quite probably even more lukewarm, considering how much of the Spanish view British tourists).

Unless Jay's body is recovered exhibiting some clear signs of foul play, or the Spanish police uncover some unequivocal evidence indicating that a crime has taken place, I suspect that we're going to hear little more in the ways of updates to this case. It will simply be assumed to be death by misadventure and put to bed.
I agree but think if a spanish national was reported missing in dangerous mountain terrain here in the UK I hope we would put in as much effort in searching as the Spanish Authorities have for Jay.

Unfortunately many UK teens get involved with drugs. taking/ dealing. County lines is an example here in UK. Much of the knife crime\ stabbings culture here now is gang/drugs related. With many involved much younger than 19 !
I dont think any of the 3 are the naive innocent teenagers you believe them to be .That of course is just my take on the situation
I absolutely don't beleive they are naive innocents,not sure why you would think that, we all know that Jay has had run ins with the law but equally I haven't seen any suggestion that they are involved in county lines or any other kind of organised criminal behaviour.

My take is they are all very much stereotypical late teens on a stereotypical lads week in the sun that has gone horribly wrong for one of them due to an unfortunate set of events, nothing more that.

MOO

I am sure they all stayed on the strip until late but how is that relevant to what happened to Jay after?
It shows she lied about leaving early after the festival.. why? Why would she make that up

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, certainly seems like the most obvious answer but could he really have got that far. Would have thought there would have been a lot of birds about feasting
One would have thought the same about Michael Mosely and I'm sure it was suggested on that thread but it didn't happen, I'm not bird expert, maybe some one more knowledgable can explain why it didn't happen

Brandon was seen outside fighting, Lucy showed Jay something an Brad and Jay left looking visably shook or upset, Lucy apparently left after the festival according to her

Attachments

• img_1_1719762048042.jpg
    img_1_1719762048042.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Picsart_24-06-30_00-30-36-526.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-30_00-30-36-526.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Picsart_24-06-30_00-33-02-950.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-30_00-33-02-950.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Picsart_24-06-30_00-33-55-107.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-30_00-33-55-107.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 25
I don't understand why he wouldn't have just gone back to the house where the 2 people were- either to wait for the bus or ask for a lift if it was only a 15 min drive. They were supposedly friends so it shouldn't have been a problem.
We know next to nothing about the nature of the relationship between the three men, certainly not enough it say whether that was something he could have done IMO

One would have thought the same about Michael Mosely and I'm sure it was suggested on that thread but it didn't happen, I'm not bird expert, maybe some one more knowledgable can explain why it didn't happen
My best guess is that the window of opportunity for carrion birds in a climate such as Tenerife would be extremely small.
I remember reading reports that Michael Mosley's body was in a terrible state by the time he was found, and that a significantly shorter timeframe than we're looking at here.
I suspect that the birds have been long replaced by insects. Apologies for the morbidity.

Susan McLean, thank you for remembering her. By far the most heart warming and awe inspiring case I’ve ever known on here, with Websleuthers actually on the ground. Despite the sad ending it’s well worth a read from start to finish if anyone has a spare hour.

It certainly wasn’t the first - or last - time that organised searches have missed a body in plain sight. I hope one day Jay is found too.

Never forgotten since I read it. I thought it was worth sharing for everyone else in here who might be wondering just how difficult it is to find a missing person in similar terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member