Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure they all stayed on the strip until late but how is that relevant to what happened to Jay after?
It shows she lied about leaving early after the festival.. why? Why would she make that up

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, certainly seems like the most obvious answer but could he really have got that far. Would have thought there would have been a lot of birds about feasting
One would have thought the same about Michael Mosely and I'm sure it was suggested on that thread but it didn't happen, I'm not bird expert, maybe some one more knowledgable can explain why it didn't happen

I don't understand why he wouldn't have just gone back to the house where the 2 people were- either to wait for the bus or ask for a lift if it was only a 15 min drive. They were supposedly friends so it shouldn't have been a problem.
We know next to nothing about the nature of the relationship between the three men, certainly not enough it say whether that was something he could have done IMO

One would have thought the same about Michael Mosely and I'm sure it was suggested on that thread but it didn't happen, I'm not bird expert, maybe some one more knowledgable can explain why it didn't happen
My best guess is that the window of opportunity for carrion birds in a climate such as Tenerife would be extremely small.
I remember reading reports that Michael Mosley's body was in a terrible state by the time he was found, and that a significantly shorter timeframe than we're looking at here.
I suspect that the birds have been long replaced by insects. Apologies for the morbidity.

Susan McLean, thank you for remembering her. By far the most heart warming and awe inspiring case I’ve ever known on here, with Websleuthers actually on the ground. Despite the sad ending it’s well worth a read from start to finish if anyone has a spare hour.

It certainly wasn’t the first - or last - time that organised searches have missed a body in plain sight. I hope one day Jay is found too.

Never forgotten since I read it. I thought it was worth sharing for everyone else in here who might be wondering just how difficult it is to find a missing person in similar terrain.

In one of the threads someone posted a picture that showed several cactuses on the side of the road in the area he was walking, while he was walking along the road it is possible a car/lorry/bus came towards him in a narrow area and he moved out of the way cutting his leg on cactus in the process
The point about the location of cacti was in response to speculation that Jay may have 'slid' off the side of the road, rather than speculation about where he was cut by a cactus. In fact, Brad has confirmed that Jay left the road by choice, rather than sliding off it by acccident. As you note, he could have been cut by a road-dwelling cactus, having been forced against it by a passing vehicle on a particularly narrow section of road, but what's important, in terms of locating him, is not how or where he got cut by a cactus, but whether or not he left the main road and according to Brad, Jay decided to try to take an off-road shortcut.

Because people take ms
why is it that so many people try to look beyond the most sensible,likely and logical explanation in these cases?
not every case can be like something out of a television drama!.....the lad wandered off into a place he knew nothing at all about and was ill equipped to cope with - why on earth there always needs to be such a circus of drama and speculation in these cases i have absolutely no clue
Because people take MSM, and random TICK tokers nonsense as gospel.
Stick to the facts.

People always say this when a parent loses a child, though. "If it were me, I'd do more, and better."

Of course people, and your own common sense, would get you "off that mountain." You wouldn't have superhuman powers. You would need to eat and sleep. The police may even advise you not to try searching, knowing that you'd be more of a hindrance than a help.

Even if you could get hold of the right gear, which is doubtful, going "up there with a petrol Strimmer and chopping through the undergrowth" would do no good whatsoever. It would take you hours to clear a small patch of that dense shrubbery, and you might not even be looking in the right place. And at some point you would realise, tragically, that it was a recovery mission. I won't describe the sight, but it's a sight you as a distraught parent may want avoid. In all likelihood Jay had died of injury or exposure before his family even arrived in Tenerife.

It's easy, and in a perverse way kind of reassuring, to judge parents in this situation. We're sure that we'd handle it better. We're sure that they haven't tried very hard, and we would have tried very hard. The reality is we don't know what we'd do, or what we'd be advised to do. In that situation we might be paralysed with grief, unable to think rationally. Or we might be rational and simply hope that the professionals will do a better job than we could.
I agree with you when you say the majority of parents would like to think they would do better including myself as a parent, in reality perhaps I would be paralysed with fear ,anxiety and pain hiding under a duvet hoping it was all a bad dream I totally get that and I did say I understand why Debbie, Jay's mum would stay at the hotel in case he showed up there so I fully sympathise with the poor woman I would not wish on an enemy ,however I feel that I would want to be at least at the mountain location so I could go to my child dead or alive before the body is handed to the morgue .That is just me I'm a problem fixer so it's just my reaction to bad situations that I would want to be on the ground of the search operation .Again I have full compassion for the mum and the choices she has had to make over the past 2 weeks and the roller coaster of emotions she obviously has gone through and the strimmer scenario was a slight exaggeration of the hero we would all like to be for our children if in that situation

I don't understand why he wouldn't have just gone back to the house where the 2 people were- either to wait for the bus or ask for a lift if it was only a 15 min drive. They were supposedly friends so it shouldn't have been a problem.
I believe it was a 50 minute drive, not 15 minutes.
And not an easy drive.
And I believe the men had probably been up all night and were probably about to go to sleep when Jay decided to leave. They claim they offered him a lift back to his apartment, but later on (presumably after they'd had some sleep).

Well the truth doesn't depend on what we believe.

IMO there is no major conspiracy involving multiple unrelated parties, Brad and the mountain lady haven't been meeting up to concoct a story nor has some mafia style Boss been going round making people all tell a made up tale. The overwhelmingly likely outcome is that a random person will sadly come across a body concealed in undregrowth and for the sake of the family I hope that happens sooner rather than later

MOO
I was just meaning the lack of absolute verifiable facts in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never forgotten since I read it. I thought it was worth sharing for everyone else in here who might be wondering just how difficult it is to find a missing person in similar terrain.
Yes I read that story on here. Definitely worth a look at

Jay Slater - Tenerife - still missing​

Kevin Ainley - Tenerife - still missing

Kevin Ainley, was 24 years old, when he went missing 20 years ago this month. He was from Fleetwood, Lancashire, and moved to the tourist area of Playa de las Americas three months before disappearing. In a 2016 appeal, 12 years after he went missing his sister Gemma Brooke said the family was still "desperate for answers".

Billy Bennett - Tenerife - still missing​

Billy Bennett, 18, vanished from his holiday in Tenerife in December 1985. The teen from Holborn, London, had planned to go to Tenerife with a friend but he dropped out at the last minute and Billy went ahead alone.

Billy’s friend flew out later with his girlfriend and claimed he seemed rather the “worse for wear” saying that he had lost all his money and had nowhere to stay. Billy Bennett is still officially missing

Levi Davis - Spain - still missing​

Celebrity X Factor star Levi Davis was 24 when he was last seen on CCTV leaving The Old Irish Pub in Barcelona on October 29, 2022. It was thought Levi could have drowned after sending his mum a video of himself from a boat shortly before he was last heard from.

Four days before he disappeared, a video was posted to his Instagram account in which he says: “My name is Levi Davis and my life is in danger.” He then spent 15 minutes talking about being blackmailed by unknown people who had taken pictures of him in “compromising positions”, claiming his life and his family’s life were under threat. Reports that Levi owed £100,000 to a Somalian gang also emerged in Catalan newspaper La Vanguardia.

Levi’s family – who hired a private investigator to try and solve the mystery of his disappearance – are still desperate for answers. Levi Davis vanished in Spain

Ben Garland - Ibiza - still missing​

Ben Garland, from Southwick, Wiltshire, went missing off the coast of northern Ibiza in January 2020, aged 24, while filming waves near Portinatx.

Dad Mark Garland, his family and some of Ben’s friends, spent two weeks with police during a major search operation that centred on the rocky coastal point where Ben had left his motorbike on 21 January, 2020. Hopes of finding him alive faded on the discovery of his watch on the coastline, then his jacket in the water. Mr Garland believes his son was swept out to sea.

Anne Baillie - Fuerteventura - died​

Anne Baillie, 73, vanished on June 7 last year after going for a morning walk. She was last seen at Riu Palace Tres Islas Hotel in Fuerteventura where she had been staying with her family. Fuerteventura Emergencias said in a statement on June 10: "The lifeless body of the English tourist last seen on June 7 has been located in the Corralejo Dunes Natural Park." Anne Baillie died after a walk

Peter Henley - Tenerife - died​

Peter Henley, 50, from Dover, Kent, flew to the Canary Islands on December 6, 2012 and was due to return to the UK 12 days later but went missing. He was a keen walker and photographer, his relatives told reporters that he was not depressed and was looking forward to Christmas. His body was found near the coast on the north of the island on New Year's Eve the same year. Peter Henley had been looking forward to Christmas

Michael Mosley - Symi - died​

TV doctor and health guru Dr Michael Mosley vanished after leaving his wife and friends at Agios Nikolaos beach on the Greek island of Symi on June 5, 2024. A huge search was launched for the 67 year old celebrity including police, firefighters with drones, Greek Red Cross workers, divers, a search dog and a helicopter to find him in dangerous conditions and high temperatures.

His body was found by a bar manager after the island's mayor "saw something" by the fence of the bar and alerted staff. He was found around 30 minutes walk from the village of Pedi where he was last seen.

David Wolstenhulme - Serifos - missing​

David Wolstenhulme, 69, disappeared on Friday, June 25, 2021 on the Greek island of Serifos. The Yorkshireman had travelled there with his wife Heide and set off ready for a morning hike on the day he mysteriously vanished.

He said that he would be back at the hotel by around 5pm - but he was never seen again. His wife believes he could have fallen down a sinkhole.

David Wolstenhulme with wife Heide

Steven Cook - Crete - died​

Steven Cook, then 20, from Sandbach, Cheshire, disappeared on a night out with friends in Malia, Crete in 2005 - the first holiday he had taken without his family.

Despite pleas on both UK and Greek TV there was no news for more than a decade. His remains were eventually found in a well in 2017. It was a decade before his body was found

Roger Bainbridge - Antipaxos - missing​

Roger Bainbridge disappeared on September 30, 2013, while holidaying on the tiny island of Antipaxos, Greece. He had made a day trip from the neighbouring island of Paxos, where his sister lived. The 67-year-old man, from Kendal, Cumbria, passed by other walkers on his hike.

A search party scoured the two square miles of the island but failed to uncover any traces of him. A month later, when Cumbria Police sent out two officers to help with the local search, still nothing was found. Roger Bainbridge vanished on a day trip
*photos at link

Shocking when you read it in a list like that.

Is there anyone with teenage family members at home? Sons, brothers etc
If you can’t already guess based on their personality-ask about their survival skills
Would they attempt to forage? Eat insects? Shelter from the elements? Eat aloe vera? Know how to locate water? Use leaves or bury to keep warm? I cant help but think how possible it may have been for Jay to survive out here until he found help or help found him.
I’m assuming the cold may have been the biggest threat vs heat? Possibly became victim to his own state of mind?
Surely humans are driven by survival, albeit in a better frame of mind than Jay likely was.
Maybe it’s time to get basic survival skills taught in school.
I REALLY hope it doesnt turn out to have been a totally avoidable tragedy :( It just makes it all the harder to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader