Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Matthew Searle, from the British overseas missing person charity LBT Global, said it was working with Slater’s family on the next steps, which would include recovering his belongings and repatriating his body.

He said further details about travel plans and funeral arrangements would not be released at this stage and asked for privacy for Slater’s family. He also called for an end to “hurtful comments on social media and elsewhere”, referring to conspiracy theories that have spread rapidly online since Slater’s disappearance.

I think it is fair to point out that that the media coverage encouraged 'conspiracy theories' to develop and I think there are still a number of unanswered questions.

Why don't the police s imply state that no Rolex watch was found with Jay - assuming none was found?

Their refusal to say that makes it look as though they may have found the watch. Which in turn raises other questions.

I wonder if they are not disclosing the location of where he was found because there ‘may’ be an expensive watch nearby and they don’t want people going down searching for it and having further accidents. JMO.

"Jay Slater

'killed instantly'

as more details about death in Tenerife emerge.

Jay's family as well as officials believe the Brit teen
'fell from height' and
was 'killed instantly'.

A family spokesman said:

'A formal identification of Jay's body will be done using a DNA sample
provided by the family to the Spanish Guardia Civil during the early stages of the search.

Debbie has said she wants to see him one last time.

Obviously that's a personal voice but given he's been there the best part of a month in those conditions, I'm not sure that's a memory she will want.

The whole family is absolutely broken.

They are devastated.

It's not the outcome they were hoping for.

It looks as if he fell from a height so he would most likely have been killed instantly'.

He said the family
'appreciate the remoteness'
of the area and
'there is no criticism of the search'.

Officials say the body recovered was
'very deteriorated'
and it is unlikely full identification will happen until 'next week'.

The family spokesman added:
'We would advise for the body to be repatriated and
have a second post mortem carried out in the UK'.

'It may be that the coroner may demand that as well'.

The statement went on to say in the wake of Jay's discovery:

'Overseas autopsies often aren't to the standard of the Home Office.

The second one will be more detailed and thorough'."

Last edited:
I would think his mum will be very very strongly discouraged from seeing him after a month in the elements.

I don’t think they’ll release the exact place he was found so that random tiktokers can’t get themselves into danger there trying to use videos at the location for views and follows.

Also if he was found on the Sunday daytime and it’s taken a while to get a plan together to remove him, I hope the police say that. It might shut up the conspiracy theorists who are saying the timing was ideal, due to the whole of Spain being distracted watching the football on Sunday night.

JMO

I hope I've linked this correctly - apologies if not.

I understand this completely, I really do. But surely that's going to be a horrific way to remember him

Jay Slater's grieving mother shares heartbreaking last request
Absolutely heartbreaking for her. Having lost a baby son myself (not in the same circumstances), I can totally understand the need for wanting to see him again. But as you say it will be very difficult and perhaps not a very nice last memory. JMO.

Conspiracy theories still abound on Social Media. " They'd searched that area many times before, his body must have been dumped later "

No, you Klutz, he'd fallen into a deep ravine, probably obscured. The S&R teams were following likely paths he may have taken. They couldn't explore every deep ravine en route, it was a mountainous environment.

Many missing person's bodies have been discovered years later in less hostile terrains, when the area has been searched many times before.

Respect to those determined individuals that eventually found him. Nutters on SM suppose they just walked past his body at the side of a path. They did a fantastic job to discover him in such a hostile environment. If you fall that far and deep, you'd be lucky to spot anything looking so far downwards, without risking your own safety.

I applaud those that found him and finally gave his family some answers. The rest of the conspiracy mob, shame on you.

It was a strange case with an atypical backdrop of characters, that led some to invent fanciful conspiracy theories.

The truth was a young person fell from height into a deep ravine that obscured his body for weeks, while others judgmentally speculated about his " non-conventional " lifestyle, and made up stories to explain his disappearance, linked to what they thought they knew about him rather than what they actually knew.

One of the wildest " cause celebre " missing person cases of recent times.

The reality was actually very ordinary and explainable.

RIP young man. Life can be very fickle.

As much as I'd be interested in knowing the full circumstances of Jay's final day, we the general public are not entitled to this information. So long as the family are clear on the circumstances that's all that matters. At this point does it really matter if the allegedly stolen watch was on him or not? The poor lad is dead regardless and I truly hope that it was instant, as anything other is horrific. I hope the location he was found is never released, as others have pointed out it would only lead to tiktokers 'investigating'. I think mum wants to see his body in order for it to be real to her, leave no doubt that it is her son, my heart breaks for her

As much as I'd be interested in knowing the full circumstances of Jay's final day, we the general public are not entitled to this information. So long as the family are clear on the circumstances that's all that matters. At this point does it really matter if the allegedly stolen watch was on him or not? The poor lad is dead regardless and I truly hope that it was instant, as anything other is horrific. I hope the location he was found is never released, as others have pointed out it would only lead to tiktokers 'investigating'. I think mum wants to see his body in order for it to be real to her, leave no doubt that it is her son, my heart breaks for her
Hear hear x

This is a small island that operates differently in so many ways from the rest of the entire world, although there are similarities.

I hope that something. T
I would think his mum will be very very strongly discouraged from seeing him after a month in the elements.

I don’t think they’ll release the exact place he was found so that random tiktokers can’t get themselves into danger there trying to use videos at the location for views and follows.

Also if he was found on the Sunday daytime and it’s taken a while to get a plan together to remove him, I hope the police say that. It might shut up the conspiracy theorists who are saying the timing was ideal, due to the whole of Spain being distracted watching the football on Sunday night.

JMO
Agreed, sadly the body would be largely skeletal at this point at one month in the temperature and in elements perhaps just with some tissue remaining, all thanks to nature's recycling mechanism. What I dread to think is if there was an open fracture. It's so frustrating that he was so inexperienced and unknowing not to have been more sensible. However, given some of the photos maybe he could see the next village and chanced it on getting to there for some drink. Personally I still think the boys who took him to the AirBNB have a lot to answer for. Let this be a lesson to all to teach your kids survival, get them to cadets, on DofE, St John's, scouts or something that gives them better outdoors skills.

RIP Jay

Re my post above

I'm honestly surprised by another autopsy to be done in the UK.

Is it standard procedure?

Post mortems in the UK​

In England and Wales, a coroner, or in Scotland the Procurator Fiscal or Death Service Certification Service, may carry out another post mortem examination if the person’s body is returned to the UK.

If you are due to repatriate a body back to the UK, please speak to your International Funeral Director or your local authority for more information regarding the coronial inquest process in the UK. Bodies usually need to be embalmed before they are brought back to the UK. The embalming process means that a further post mortem in the UK may not be able to find out any more information on the cause of death.

I'm sitting on the other side of the world, yet have nice tools at my disposal :) I post up here some screenshots of what I believe to be the region, and general path, J went down. I think the map on the DM isn't quite accurate, and have included that same map here with what I think may have been J's actual route marked in blue.

I have experience being lost in the mountains, during a cold winter, and luckily found my way out before dark, otherwise would have had to spend a freezing night. I know the panic that sets in, and I myself had to overcome that in order to think clearly and determine the best course of action to take in terms of making it out.

I think J's thought process likely was skewed by several things, youth, thirst, panic, etc. I think his objective was the coast, it just so happens the path becomes impossibly rugged down that ravine.

I also believe searchers possibly didn't find him earlier because, well, maybe they said, surely nobody would have gone beyond this point!, or, there's no chance he'd gone this far, or even, what has been stated here recently, he was down in a crevasse where a rescue canine missed the scent, and searchers simply didn't rope down in there.

Nonetheless, for his family, I am relieved he has been found. Hopefully they follow through with some things, and there is no evidence of foul play.

Attachments

• 1721156176214.png
    1721156176214.png
    901.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    955.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    889.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    911.1 KB · Views: 58
Absolutely heartbreaking for her. Having lost a baby son myself (not in the same circumstances), I can totally understand the need for wanting to see him again. But as you say it will be very difficult and perhaps not a very nice last memory. JMO.

I'm really sorry for your loss. ♥ x

I never knew anything about Tenerife until this case and I've seen all I want to. Looks like a miserable place. That he made the decision to go off the road is a surprise but once he did, I'm not surprised he fell to his death in such dangerous terrain. The Spanish deserve tremendous credit and I'm amazed his body was even found.

I think J's thought process likely was skewed by several things, youth, thirst, panic, etc. I think his objective was the coast, it just so happens the path becomes impossibly rugged down that ravine.

I also believe searchers possibly didn't find him earlier because, well, maybe they said, surely nobody would have gone beyond this point!, or, there's no chance he'd gone this far, or even, what has been stated here recently, he was down in a crevasse where a rescue canine missed the scent, and searchers simply didn't rope down in there.

Nonetheless, for his family, I am relieved he has been found. Hopefully they follow through with some things, and there is no evidence of foul play.

BBM. Yes, if the location in the DM picture is correct there's not actually much down there but the coast and a tiny beach (Playa de Juan López). He could well have been disoriented, heading in completely the wrong direction and just aiming for the sea hoping to find something , not dissimilar to what appeared to happen with Michael Mosley.

Tenerife is breathtakingly beautiful.

Been there, seen wonderful sights, met cheerful, happy, helpful and hospitable people.

And returned sound and safe
with precious memories :)
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Tenerife is breathtakingly beautiful.

Been there, seen wonderful sights, met cheerful, happy, helpful and hospitable people.

And returned sound and safe
with precious memories :)

Never been but looking at it on Google maps, it does look quite beautiful and majestic in a kind of barren way - a place to be explored with some caution away from the towns.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61
Back