Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how popular this NRG recent is? And if you’re not a local but on holiday why would you have your accommodation so far from it and hire a car for the weekend when you are going to be partying? Wouldn’t you want somewhere close by to the event? ) I’m speaking of the 2 “friends” he met. I’m sure we will find out soon enough who they are!

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed due to sleuthing family social media, which is not allowed>

I hate to say it but his past may have something to do with it, not liked, people holding grudges….

Last edited by a moderator:

"Jay Slater's last known movements:

Map reveals missing Brit's

10-hour trek across mountainous pass in Tenerife

to get back to his hotel after finding himself disorientated

and

'in the middle of nowhere' -

as family fear he's been

'taken against his will'."

View attachment 511710

I thought the car ride was 45 minutes - how does that turn into a 10 hour walk???

I thought the car ride was 45 minutes - how does that turn into a 10 hour walk???
Not sure of the speed limits on the road, but if it was, for example, 30 mph .. that would be driving 22.5 miles in 45 minutes.

IMO, 10 hours to walk 22.5 miles is 2.25 mph, would not be out of line.

Above calculation obviously depends on the speed limit.

I'm wondering if they were gathering DNA from his toothbrush and comb? Pretty standard for cases where foul play suspected imo
Possibly. I think ‘searched’ is possibly an exaggeration for the sake of a headline - if you read the actual article his mum says: “Police have been into Jay’s room today.”

That doesn’t sound quite the same (as click-worthy) as ‘searched’.

And now a GoFund me has been set up, by Lucy.

https://www..com/f/help-us-get-jay-...t_ft&utm_medium=customer&utm_source=copy_link

A few thoughts on this, which I’ve been following quite closely as I know Tenerife well:

1. The Facebook page has become a victim of its own success and is ridiculous - so many posts of young men in grey wandering about the resorts: “is this him?” - spoiler alert, there are loads and sadly they’re not. A body found in a Moroccan river?? - why when there are huge cliffs and hiding places for a body right on the doorstep, if that’s what you need.

2. It’s getting a huge amount of coverage - maybe due to similarity to Michael Mosley as people have said, like dog attacks etc, the media love grouping stories. I’ve seen lots of young men go missing in Tenerife (albeit some not for as long as this) with little to no coverage.

3. The distances and remoteness up in the mountains can’t be underestimated. The roads are like hairpins and the terrain is rough, with huge barrancos and drops as people upthread have said. It’s not surprising he might have thought to take a short cut and come unstuck. It’s also not unbelievable that it’s a 10 hour walk

4. The media are talking about him going back to this apartment as though this is just another tourist area, and an obvious place to stay. It’s really not, it’s quite remote and I’d be surprised if any Brit tourists (certainly the kind who want to go raving) would stay there unless misguided by a booking site.

Not sure if it’s been confirmed or just assumed that the people he went back with were British, though lots of people are talking as if they are. I’d be surprised- and more surprised if they were tourists rather than living there.

Not sure this advances our thinking, but people do seem to think this would be a natural place for young holidaymakers to stay when it really isn’t. Not sure if that tells us anything or not.

From the interview with his mum (posted yesterday on here) I think he was due to fly home this morning. Wondering if the police investigation will increase going forward. 3 days is a long time if he has been without water.

A few thoughts on this, which I’ve been following quite closely as I know Tenerife well:

1. The Facebook page has become a victim of its own success and is ridiculous - so many posts of young men in grey wandering about the resorts: “is this him?” - spoiler alert, there are loads and sadly they’re not. A body found in a Moroccan river?? - why when there are huge cliffs and hiding places for a body right on the doorstep, if that’s what you need.

2. It’s getting a huge amount of coverage - maybe due to similarity to Michael Mosley as people have said, like dog attacks etc, the media love grouping stories. I’ve seen lots of young men go missing in Tenerife (albeit some not for as long as this) with little to no coverage.

3. The distances and remoteness up in the mountains can’t be underestimated. The roads are like hairpins and the terrain is rough, with huge barrancos and drops as people upthread have said. It’s not surprising he might have thought to take a short cut and come unstuck. It’s also not unbelievable that it’s a 10 hour walk

4. The media are talking about him going back to this apartment as though this is just another tourist area, and an obvious place to stay. It’s really not, it’s quite remote and I’d be surprised if any Brit tourists (certainly the kind who want to go raving) would stay there unless misguided by a booking site.

Not sure if it’s been confirmed or just assumed that the people he went back with were British, though lots of people are talking as if they are. I’d be surprised- and more surprised if they were tourists rather than living there.

Not sure this advances our thinking, but people do seem to think this would be a natural place for young holidaymakers to stay when it really isn’t. Not sure if that tells us anything or not.
His Stepfather (source - Manchester Evening News) claimed he'd gone back to the apartment with some people from London. Mentions they had 'cockney accents'. I've not seen that confirmed elsewhere.
The village where that apartment is pretty seasonal. Some elderly all-year-round residents, others who stay during the winter and vacate when it gets too hot, some holiday rentals. A quick check on Airbnb reveals around half a dozen apartments in and around the village from around GBP 60-80 (USD 75-100) per night which might be very attractive considering some hotel prices on the island.
Separately, not sure of the reasons for the hotel room search but surprised it wasn't done sooner. There are a few things from it (passport and supply of money were there) which they might have assumed/been told but not confirmed.

It has been said a few times that the 2 guys Jay went back with are UK nationals (not on MSM but socials) and one of them had rented a vehicle whilst on the island (probably due to how far away the accommodation is) maybe they never realised when booking just how far away it was from everything. I feel young people go with price rather than practicality.

The family have also stated numerous times that these guys have been questioned and their story adds up.

Oh the webcams- as the admins rightly pointed out, it is of little use people scouring over them- if he was out and about, he would have flagged a car down or gone to a pub, restaurant for help by now. There is no benefit to posting screenshots of everyone walking around in similar clothing.
The remoteness of the apartment could be a relatives holiday home- one of the males hired a car to get home and drove it there which gives a sense of familiarity- knowing where would still be open to hire cars, and being confident and sober enough to drive back, rather than calling a taxi (which probably would have cost a similar amount)
I’m torn between he walked out and got lost and something else happened- too many illogical things- it was 8am, so not hot yet. We know this as he was wrapped in a blanket outside just over an hour before. It will have been warming up, but not heat exhaustion triggering. The last phone comments seem just half the conversation as snippets keep popping up in news articles which suggest it was longer than the few broken sentences- particularly the cactus cut on the leg, so many details were included but none with what he could see whether he was on or near a path or a road. Aside from a pin drop (which we have to assume has now been well searched and he didn’t remain there) and a weird Snapchat that allowed his friend to identify the apartment, but was an odd photo.

It has been said a few times that the 2 guys Jay went back with are UK nationals (not on MSM but socials) and one of them had rented a vehicle whilst on the island (probably due to how far away the accommodation is) maybe they never realised when booking just how far away it was from everything. I feel young people go with price rather than practicality.

The family have also stated numerous times that these guys have been questioned and their story adds up.
Thank you. The fb group is full of claims that he got into a car with ‘Moroccans’ (someone ‘definitely’ saw this etc) and then the speculation runs wild from there. I think it’s possibly more hindrance than help at this point.

Thank you. The fb group is full of claims that he got into a car with ‘Moroccans’ (someone ‘definitely’ saw this etc) and then the speculation runs wild from there. I think it’s possibly more hindrance than help at this point.
Agreed. At this point they should just close that FB group down IMO too many armchair detectives confusing matters and going round in circles.

The problem is a quick Google search shows quite a few holiday makers missing in Tenerife yet to be found. Raises more questions than answers.

Possibly. I think ‘searched’ is possibly an exaggeration for the sake of a headline - if you read the actual article his mum says: “Police have been into Jay’s room today.”

That doesn’t sound quite the same (as click-worthy) as ‘searched’.

Well,
Why would Police be in his room if not to search?
I see nothing "click worthy" in this headline :)

Media are doing their job.
After all we all rely on their reporting, no? ;)

JMO

Last edited:
Oh the webcams- as the admins rightly pointed out, it is of little use people scouring over them- if he was out and about, he would have flagged a car down or gone to a pub, restaurant for help by now. There is no benefit to posting screenshots of everyone walking around in similar clothing.
The remoteness of the apartment could be a relatives holiday home- one of the males hired a car to get home and drove it there which gives a sense of familiarity- knowing where would still be open to hire cars, and being confident and sober enough to drive back, rather than calling a taxi (which probably would have cost a similar amount)
I’m torn between he walked out and got lost and something else happened- too many illogical things- it was 8am, so not hot yet. We know this as he was wrapped in a blanket outside just over an hour before. It will have been warming up, but not heat exhaustion triggering. The last phone comments seem just half the conversation as snippets keep popping up in news articles which suggest it was longer than the few broken sentences- particularly the cactus cut on the leg, so many details were included but none with what he could see whether he was on or near a path or a road. Aside from a pin drop (which we have to assume has now been well searched and he didn’t remain there) and a weird Snapchat that allowed his friend to identify the apartment, but was an odd photo.

This raises a good point about the 2 guys tbh I would also assume a knowledge of the area and possibly older than Jay. I have checked and the legal age to rent a car in Spain is 21. So they may only be a bit older or considerably. Would suggest experience and more than likely a holiday home they have visited previously. JMO

Agreed. At this point they should just close that FB group down IMO too many armchair detectives confusing matters and going round in circles.

The problem is a quick Google search shows quite a few holiday makers missing in Tenerife yet to be found. Raises more questions than answers.
From my knowledge of Tenerife (my dad lived in Los Cristianos for a decade in the 90s). He discovered that there was a huge gangster underworld on the island which would probably not be apparent to your average tourist visiting for a week or so. My dad commented that people used to disappear regularly if they crossed the wrong person, never to be heard of again. My father never ran in these circles and ultimately he left the island as he realised that his retirement dream would be better suited to a quiet, rural area in mainland Spain instead. Just to give you a perspective to the sinister underbelly and drug scene in Tenerife.

A close friend of Jay Slater says his disappearance is "suspicious and weird", and fears the teenager may have been kidnapped.

Lucy Mae, who had gone to Tenerife with him to attend the NRG music festival, said: “There’s something weird going on. It is suspicious (...) you’re telling me someone’s not seen him. There’s a restaurant 10 minutes away that he would have seen or walked past. It’s suspicious and it’s weird."

She also highlighted how someone has given police in Tenerife a "false lead" and the Civil Guard have switched the focus of the search to tourist resorts in the south of the island as a result.

Lucy continued: "Someone has given a false lead to the police saying he’s rang a taxi down to Los Cristianos. If this was the case he would have rang his mum or one of us. I know him well and he would not have us worrying. Someone is trying to deter the police from him being up there. I’m starting to think he’s been kidnapped."

Jay Slater's mum wishes she 'hadn't encouraged' holiday - live updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members