Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being his age in similar situations and his actions (leaving quietly, I assume) make perfect sense to me. If he was 'on something' the night before then it seriously lowers your inhibitions and suddenly everyone is your best friend. Once it wears off, you're acutely aware that it's actually quite awkward that you're in a random person's house. You'd rather leave quietly while they sleep it off than wait an indeterminate amount of time for them to wake up.

It would also explain not charging his phone. if you're off your face it doesn't strike you as important, or you don't even notice. In the morning you wake up on a sofa and don't even know where they keep anything. Leaving just seems like less of a fuss.

We even have an expression in my country:
"Take English leave" ;)

Soon after Mr Slater went missing, an American woman offered to drive Ms Law up into the mountains.

The was "literally no sign of him anywhere", she said. "We drove around all day."

Mr Slater had posted a picture online of some mountains next to a house he had been to up in the mountains.

Ms Law then drove around looking for a lamp and some flowers seen in that picture.

"We managed to find the house," she said. "I knocked on the door and there were two people there."

They told Ms Law that Mr Slater had gone out for a cigarette before going back in and saying he wanted to go home.

"They told me he'd spoken to the next door neighbours and they'd told him there was a bus every 10 minutes back down to Los Cristianos.

"The bus stop was right next to the house. So obviously if he'd gone to get the bus he wouldn't have got lost because it [the stop] was visible from the front door."

The trip back down from the mountains is an hour's drive. "Everything looks the same - it's just a road and hills," Ms Law said.

"I can't understand why he would come out of the house and then decide he was going to walk. I think be maybe set off walking with battery and had not realised how far the walk actually is."

Soon after Mr Slater went missing, an American woman offered to drive Ms Law up into the mountains.

The was "literally no sign of him anywhere", she said. "We drove around all day."

Mr Slater had posted a picture online of some mountains next to a house he had been to up in the mountains.

Ms Law then drove around looking for a lamp and some flowers seen in that picture.

"We managed to find the house," she said. "I knocked on the door and there were two people there."

They told Ms Law that Mr Slater had gone out for a cigarette before going back in and saying he wanted to go home.

"They told me he'd spoken to the next door neighbours and they'd told him there was a bus every 10 minutes back down to Los Cristianos.

"The bus stop was right next to the house. So obviously if he'd gone to get the bus he wouldn't have got lost because it [the stop] was visible from the front door."

The trip back down from the mountains is an hour's drive. "Everything looks the same - it's just a road and hills," Ms Law said.

"I can't understand why he would come out of the house and then decide he was going to walk. I think be maybe set off walking with battery and had not realised how far the walk actually is."
Woah. There are some really crazy parallels between this case and the Michael Mosley one.

If he thought he could walk it, he would have had to have made a massive mistake in navigation, despite having his phone. Whatever battery he started off with, he could have drained it very quickly by trying to navigate. Question is why he didn't wait for that bus.

Woah. There are some really crazy parallels between this case and the Michael Mosley one.

If he thought he could walk it, he would have had to have made a massive mistake in navigation, despite having his phone. Whatever battery he started off with, he could have drained it very quickly by trying to navigate. Question is why he didn't wait for that bus.
Other than Brits abroad, I'm really not sure there are any other similarities to the two....

Other than Brits abroad, I'm really not sure there are any other similarities to the two....
Mostly just small things. They both seem to have gone lost in relatively populated, touristy areas. They both appear to have gone on longer/less convenient/ more dangerous walks than required. Both may have had other, better transport options but for whatever reason didn't take them. Both are assumed to have been potentially worse for wear when they went missing. It's probably mostly just how closely in time they've happened but I felt like they were similar in a fair few ways.

Just saying so because if there could be any learnings from one case to the other it could potentially be useful in the search? But that's just a passing thought.

Last edited:
Mostly just small things. They both seem to have gone lost in relatively populated, touristy areas. They both appear to have gone on longer/less convenient/ more dangerous walks than required. Both may have had other, better transport options but for whatever reason didn't take them. It's probably mostly just how closely in time they've happened but I felt like they were similar in a fair few ways.

The missing American, Eric Albert Calbet on Amargos Island, Greece and the missing two French women on Sikinos Island, Greece more closely resemble the sad events of Dr. Mosely's death, I believe. Both of those cases have threads here on WS.

They all set out on deliberate hikes during a severe heatwave.

My reading here of Jay Slater is more complicated, and is more of disappearance of someone associated with events with other people and is not the same kind of recreational hike.

They always refer to the other person as another friend. Unnamed. Mmm
He’s not named in that article, but reading between the lines it’s quite obvious and he is named as the third person who was in their group. His mum has also flown out and I would imagine he’s really struggling emotionally with what’s happened and is staying away from the spotlight, as he has every right to do.

He’s not named in that article, but reading between the lines it’s quite obvious and he is named as the third person who was in their group. His mum has also flown out and I would imagine he’s really struggling emotionally with what’s happened and is staying away from the spotlight, as he has every right to do.
Yeah I agree. They are so young maybe adults legally but kids to me and I don't blame him for staying out of the spotlight especially given he is probably devastated. You don't tend to go on holiday with people you're not pretty close to.

The missing American, Eric Albert Calbet on Amargos Island, Greece and the missing two French women on Sikinos Island, Greece more closely resemble the sad events of Dr. Mosely's death, I believe. Both of those cases have threads here on WS.

They all set out on deliberate hikes during a severe heatwave.

My reading here of Jay Slater is more complicated, and is more of disappearance of someone associated with events with other people and is not the same kind of recreational hike.
That's a fair reading, but until we get more info the facts support him being missing in a somewhat remote location with no navigation, and his phone call seeming to imply being alone. So I'm just going by what exists so far.

Yeah I agree. They are so young maybe adults legally but kids to me and I don't blame him for staying out of the spotlight especially given he is probably devastated. You don't tend to go on holiday with people you're not pretty close to.
He also likely knows nothing

He went back to his apartment.. Jay carried on the night

I remember being his age in similar situations and his actions (leaving quietly, I assume) make perfect sense to me. If he was 'on something' the night before then it seriously lowers your inhibitions and suddenly everyone is your best friend. Once it wears off, you're acutely aware that it's actually quite awkward that you're in a random person's house. You'd rather leave quietly while they sleep it off than wait an indeterminate amount of time for them to wake up.

It would also explain not charging his phone. if you're off your face it doesn't strike you as important, or you don't even notice. In the morning you wake up on a sofa and don't even know where they keep anything. Leaving just seems like less of a fuss.
Spot on. I agree (and have lived) all of the above. Sadly I don’t think there is any great mystery here - I think he’s just got into trouble in tricky terrain.

My own opinion only is that brits completely underestimate exercise and exposure in the heat because they’re not used to it. Dehydration and high ambient air temperature absolutely put you at risk of heat stroke, leading to altered thinking and ultimately a spiral of muscle damage, toxins, kidney failure and death - Heat stroke - Wikipedia.

I think it is incredibly easy to have wandered off, dehydrated from alcohol and possibly drugs, and ended up this way.

That said, as much as I hope not, his background and potential involvement with drug affiliated violence is concerning (as per news articles on community sentencing for assault) and both his mother and friends voicing concern in media interviews emphasises this.

"Police search
missing Jay Slater's Tenerife apartment for clues

as mum fears 'something bad' has happened to him.

Officers have searched the room he was sharing with a friend at a three-star apartment complex in Los Cristianos."

What would be the purpose of searching his room back at his hotel if he didn’t make it there? Just wondering honestly. Or are they just eliminating all lines of enquiry?

He could have mapped the distance, saw that it was an hour, and decided to walk it - not realizing he'd mapped it as a drive.

I've done that in reverse - mapped something I wanted to drive and confused as to why it would take 20 hours - then realizing I had it set to tell me how long it would take to walk, rather than drive.

This doesn't explain how he ended up on a hiking trail, though.

He could have mapped the distance, saw that it was an hour, and decided to walk it - not realizing he'd mapped it as a drive.

I've done that in reverse - mapped something I wanted to drive and confused as to why it would take 20 hours - then realizing I had it set to tell me how long it would take to walk, rather than drive.

This doesn't explain how he ended up on a hiking trail, though.
I’ve done this too. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member