Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If JS was only at the airbnb for a very short period of time, is it possible that he got in the car to go with the two men to get away from a situation/problem when he left the club/rave to go to the airbnb?
This is a good point which I hadn’t thought about- but if Brad went off with another mate (I’m sure I read Kieran, but it isn’t relevant his name) why he did he not just stay and party some more with them? I’m sure the police know more about why he chose to head off to the mountains rather than staying with his holiday mate and his new found friend. It’s even possible he got in the car hoping they would drop him off at his apartment if he got in and they went near where he was staying. Like you said it could be that he was in trouble and went with anyone just to get away. There will be loads of video footage taken around the festival and you would hope that has also been looked at.

Maybe not at 13,14,15 but we know nothing of his earlier life and we have one incident albeit more significant than most- that doesn’t write his whole life story- he’s an apprentice brick layer and working hard to better himself, it was his first time abroad without his parents. I know people from school who fell in with the wrong people at school- many years later you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you what they got up to, but for most of them once was all it took for a big wake up call.
I get your point, but the kid didn’t grow up somewhere like the Highlands where you might be likely to learn survival skills and basic mountaineering skills even in school (some areas do cover this). His family have called him “street smart” in statements, they haven’t said anywhere that he has good outdoor skills. Zero we’ve heard points to that.

I have family who volunteer with mountain rescue. My kids have all been taught about safety when hill walking etc from a young age. If one of them went missing I would tell the rescuers and anyone who would listen as it would probably effect where and how they should look. None of his family have said anything like this.

This is all just my opinion but nothing we’ve heard points to him having serious outdoor experience. And this area is really challenging, even according to experienced hikers.

I hope he is found safely but the longer this goes the worse things look, sadly.

Im very sceptical of that too , easy to say they offered him a lift to make themselves look better when he's not around to contradict them
We don't know the two men actually said it, the paper reports the female friend Lucy stated this

"Ms Law tracked down the villa and reportedly spoke to the two men he had been there with, the Times reported.

She said the men told her Mr Slater had gone for a cigarette before returning and said he wanted to go home. He reportedly turned down the men’s offers to drive him home later that morning, saying he would instead walk."

Can anyone confirm the last known location, as per pin, that Jay actually sent to his friend? I am still confused as to whether it is the rural de teno park, or the barranco de juan lopez trail which according to maps is a 25min drive away/2 hour walk away?
Or is the trail considered to be a part of the park?

I do wonder what happened at the airbnb. There surely had to be a purpose to why he went with them. It would be interesting to see footage of him getting into the car. The two men possibly did tell him that they would give him a lift back later that day but for some reason he wanted to leave sooner. Perhaps they said they would take him back after they had some sleep? Does anyone think that something occurred after they got to the airbnb, perhaps something consensual (or not) but surely the Police would have asked the two men about what happened when they questioned them? It was said that the two men are now back in the UK so the Police must have been satisfied on what they said. I wondered if they are father and son or a couple. If one of them was driving they would not have been drinking/drugs. I did wonder if JS had fallen asleep and something had happened to him during that period of time. Did he waken up and feel something was wrong, wanted to get out of there and head back to his own accommodation.
To think they wouldn't drink and drive is a little naive. Its not UK, its a party island. It happens alot in places like this. He went back because he didnt want the party to end. He met some fun folk, who said come back for a few more. So he went. Its really not far fetched to believe that.

Wild-card is if he turned back from his last known spot when it became clear the path was narrowing and his phone was running out of power, made it back to the road (not at all far) then turned off onto another path off the road again shortly after (hence no more sightings of him)
It's definitely possible, but my issue with him heading towards Los Carrizales and on the Masca side, is that there is a clear view of settlements. Unless he has become badly injured or incapacitated on route towards a settlement. Similarly, if he heads across the road and goes up in altitude, into the mountains, the villages become more obvious.

This is why I think he descended and why when he makes his final phone call, he is coming down from the drugs and is beginning to panic as he is confused as to the reality of where he is, because it all looks the same (see image taken from Flickr of people in this area for scale). Within the Barranco Juan Lopez/Barranco Del Retamar area, he is surrounded by mountains on all sides and no villages visible.

If he attempts to gain height to see into the distance he runs the risk of hurting himself and his energy is low and he is thirsty. So his instinct may have been to continue to descend towards the sea and yet this route is extremely dangerous and he may not have been on the proper path.

<modsnip: Image removed due to no link>

Last edited by a moderator:
The three ravines they are searching are as according to the attached article - BBM

The vast search area - around 30km - focuses on three main areas, Masca Gorge, La Vica, and Las Portelas. Can anyone pinpoint these on a map? Las Portelas appears to be north of Masca which would tie in with JS going in the wrong direction.

The three ravines they are searching are as according to the attached article - BBM

The vast search area - around 30km - focuses on three main areas, Masca Gorge, La Vica, and Las Portelas. Can anyone pinpoint these on a map? Las Portelas appears to be north of Masca which would tie in with JS going in the wrong direction.

This is so sad. I cant help but think they're totally in the wrong area/s. Thats not where his pin drop was! La Vica is the hilly area coming down from Masca...He was last seen walking NORTH of Masca!!! His pin drop was exactly by Barranco de Juan Lopez trail. NORTH of Masca. Lucy has confirmed he went off the road.
And yes you are correct, Las Portelas is literally a 2 hour walk from Masca, also North. But IMO I dont believe he made it this far. He wouldve been seen by more people on the road if this was the case.
Sad, just sad.

First time here
But I’m conflicted about the age of the 2 men that JS went back with. His family and friends keep referring to them as “lads” which to me suggests fairly young? Or is that not general consensus these days? Just a little confused as to whether maybe they just looked older than he did, so the lady quoted may have thought older, but the family/friends that know the situation might know they are younger than that?

Only asking because there’s quite a bit of suspicion because of their ages.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I think if he fell our was outside he would've dropped his man bag or a item if he is disorientated.

I'm thinking he must be indoors. It just feels like he would've been found in that area of land by now with helicopters and ao many sesrchers. Unless he fell into water

Has anyone seen pictures of the land surrounding it. Is it a lake or sea etc?
Sorry I've no clue I just see rocky terrain and captain.

Praying for him and his family

First time here
But I’m conflicted about the age of the 2 men that JS went back with. His family and friends keep referring to them as “lads” which to me suggests fairly young? Or is that not general consensus these days? Just a little confused as to whether maybe they just looked older than he did, so the lady quoted may have thought older, but the family/friends that know the situation might know they are younger than that?

Only asking because there’s quite a bit of suspicion because of their ages.
<modsnip> Can't really imagine a young 19 year old hanging about with people twice their age unless there was a good reason for it. But, I might well be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time of course.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
I think if he fell our was outside he would've dropped his man bag or a item if he is disorientated.

I'm thinking he must be indoors. It just feels like he would've been found in that area of land by now with helicopters and ao many sesrchers. Unless he fell into water

Has anyone seen pictures of the land surrounding it. Is it a lake or sea etc?
Sorry I've no clue I just see rocky terrain and captain.

Praying for him and his family

He wears the bag across body, so IMO, he wont have dropped it if he falls/

It's definitely possible, but my issue with him heading towards Los Carrizales and on the Masca side, is that there is a clear view of settlements. Unless he has become badly injured or incapacitated on route towards a settlement. Similarly, if he heads across the road and goes up in altitude, into the mountains, the villages become more obvious.

This is why I think he descended and why when he makes his final phone call, he is coming down from the drugs and is beginning to panic as he is confused as to the reality of where he is, because it all looks the same (see image taken from Flickr of people in this area for scale). Within the Barranco Juan Lopez/Barranco Del Retamar area, he is surrounded by mountains on all sides and no villages visible.

If he attempts to gain height to see into the distance he runs the risk of hurting himself and his energy is low and he is thirsty. So his instinct may have been to continue to descend towards the sea and yet this route is extremely dangerous and he may not have been on the proper path.View attachment 512147
I agree with this totally hence calling it a wild card option that comes with him not being found yet in the more likely areas. Far more likely though that he descended and carried on descending. If he was thirsty and hadn't passed any water then there is little incentive to retrace your steps even when it becomes clear you're on a bad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston