CANADA Jeremy Skibicki charged with four murders of Indigenous women

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know how sentencing works, but because of the finding by the judge there is a mandatory life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years. And let's face it, a serial killer isn't likely to get parole.

The emotions of all of the victims' families and all in the community were raw.

On Thursday, songs of honour and healing could be heard throughout downtown as family members and friends marched to Portage and Main and held a round dance celebrating the verdict.

“A little bit of mixed emotions – a sense of relief, gratitude, but ultimately hopefully it brings closure,” said Jeremy Contois.

Cambria Harris, the daughter of Morgan Harris, spoke during a news conference at the Assembly of First Nations conference in Montreal.

“Today we found out the man that took my mom’s life and the three other women was found guilty on all four counts of first-degree murder and criminally responsible,” she said. “He knew exactly what he was doing at the time when he committed those acts… He preyed on these women at shelters, he took them home, and he took their life and disposed of them in a landfill.”
Relief and closure for victims' families in wake of Winnipeg serial killer's conviction

Now we wait for the landfill to be searched more thoroughly. The victims' loved ones deserve nothing less. It may be a longshot, but this has been torture for these families and who knows if there are other unknown victims.

For those not from Canada, or who haven't followed this case, the fairly recently elected premier of Manitoba (equivalent to a state governor) is indigenous and likely won the election because of this case and because of all of the unsolved murders/disappearances of indigenous women. (And, he seems to be an amazing, eloquent, smart person who might have been elected even if these murders didn't happen. I'm wondering if he might be a candidate for Prime Minister of Canada sometime in the future, but I definitely have to get to know him better. He's very impressive. His name is Wab Kinew.)

Families%20and%20supporters%20of%20four%20murdered%20women%20celebrate%20outside%20the%20Manitoba%20Law%20Courts%20after%20the%20guilty%20verdict%20of%20serial%20killer%20Jeremy%20Skibicki%20THE%20CANADIAN%20PRESS%20JOHN%20WOODS.jpg
Families and supporters of four murdered women celebrate outside the Manitoba Law Courts after the guilty verdict of serial killer Jeremy Skibicki is read in a courtroom in Winnipeg on Thursday, July 11, 2024. Skibicki plead guilty, but not criminally responsible due to mental illness, to the murders of Marcedes Myran, 26, Morgan Harris, 39, and Rebecca Contois, 24 and a fourth, unidentified woman. A judge determined Skibicki is guilty of killing all four women

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back