Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What the hell is going on in this thread?

I've only met Ghomeshi once, but I know a lot of people who have had repeated contact with him, and the general opinion is that he's a . I didn't get to know him well enough to say, but I have heard his "music" with that comedy pop band, and it was intolerable.

I can't help but notice that there is no shortage of apologists for him here, and I have to think that it has something to do with excusing men from rape more than anything else. Sure, the trial has been a mess, but in this thread I've seen a load of unrelated information forwarded as if it were evidence. And, as evinced in the post above mine, questioning of witnesses and those who defend them.

Ugly business, and dirty pool.

Bravo! My thoughts exactly. The trial was a vortex of stupid, but that does NOT take away the fact that JG is a dirtbag who enjoys demeaning women.

rsbm

Um, perhaps, as you've pointed out, because he was a celebrity (who was rich and influential). People who feel vulnerable and powerless are often drawn, out of a wish to survive, to those who they think can help them out. Henry Kissinger put it well, years ago.

At the time these assaults were supposed to have happened, he was not a celebrity, his career had not taken off yet. The accusations were made after he came into the public eye, presumably because he did become famous. Otherwise most likely nothing would ever have happened.

He must have really POed these women at some point though. The alleged assaults are relatively minor, and being angry about it for a decade seems a bit of an over-reaction, unless there is something deeper going on.

Bravo! My thoughts exactly. The trial was a vortex of stupid, but that does NOT take away the fact that JG is a dirtbag who enjoys demeaning women.

Yes, but being a is not a criminal offense. The trial is about criminal offenses that supposedly happened, but with all that has come out during the trial, the credibility of the witnesses does not look very good. When people are clearly lying, and where it seems fairly obvious that there was significant collusion going on, you need to consider that those things are criminal as well. It stops being "stupid" at that point, and I don't think that excuses for that sort of behavior are acceptable.

I found this interview with Lucy DeCoutere when she was awaiting the start of the trial to be illuminating.

It becomes apparent that DeCoutere was kept in bubble wrap by the police, Crown and her own lawyer and was totally unprepared for trial, if she actually believed what she said in the article.

While she says she has felt an uncharacteristic amount of anxiety since she went public with her experience, the thought of taking the stand does not faze her — or at least she’s determined not to let it. “In the end, the whole thing boils down to me having a conversation with [Ghomeshi’s lawyer] Marie Henein about something that happened 12 years ago,” says DeCoutere. “I refuse to be intimidated by a process that is designed to get the truth about something. I cannot entertain that it’s more complicated than that. And the fact that people really build it up to be more is why more women are unable to share their experiences about violence.”

Just having a nice conversation with Marie Henein ?...........is that what she thought it was going to be ? Who gave her that impression ?

Get to the truth ?..............would that be the truth with or without the 5,000 emails, love letter, subsequent dates withheld until revealed in open court ?

It seems to me there is a clear disconnect with reality in DeCoutere's statements, and it appeared that way with all the witnesses.

http://www.chatelaine.com/living/lucy-decoutere-on-nightmares-healing-and-the-jian-ghomeshi-trial/

As a sample case for the need to restructure the judicial system regarding sexual assault, this trial was complete failure.

It illustrated if anything that the criminal system works as is, although perhaps only for defendants who can afford the best legal defense.

The Crown could have prepared the witnesses better for trial, but to do so would have meant the witnesses revealing all of their associations with Ghomeshi.

But, those revelations would likely have meant no charges would ever have been laid.

What was demonstrated in this trial, is that how a victim responds to the specific incident does matter, regardless if some people think it shouldn't.

Horkins' final word on DeCoutere's evidence:

"It is the suppression of evidence and the deception maintained under oath that drive my concerns on the reliability of this witness. Not necessarily her undermined motivations for doing it."

Can anything in this judgement be a surprise to anyone? It was clear there was zero hope of even a single conviction as the trial ended. He will be legally exonerated as he should be, and publicly tainted, also as he should be.

Judge: evidence leaves court with reasonable doubt #Ghomeshi

Judge: I find Mr. Ghomeshi not guilty of all these charges."

Not surprised at the verdict, but you never know until the verdict is handed down.

Some people will be angry with the verdict, but I don't know how it would be right to have complainants go to court and decide for themselves what they will tell the court and what they won't.

As Judge Horkins said in his comments.......navigation in the courts only requires people to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

As noted by Marie Henein in her closing arguments, committing perjury in court is not a side affect of sexual abuse trauma.

These complainants obviously wove their stories to fit together in the narrative they wanted to present to the court, to get the result they desired.

Perhaps it was the former Toronto police chief publicly calling "victims" to come forward and not to worry..........because their story would always be believed

And so the police and the Crown accepted the stories as fact, and were shocked at trial by the revelations provided by the defense lawyers.

The system worked as it should, but one wonders if someone charged similarly, who didn't have access to a lawyer like Marie Henein and private investigators would have resulted in a similar verdict.

Ghomeshi's legal costs are estimated at well over $100,000. Few members of society could afford that kind of legal defense.

Would any of the correspondence, letters, and other matters have ever been revealed for a defendant relying on the monetary limits of legal aid ?

Having seen how poorly some people are represented in court, and sometimes not at all..............I doubt it.

All's well that ends well. A man appropriately found not guilty, very public lesson about truthfulness and completeness on the witness stand, Marie Henein is richer and anybody with a lick of common sense knows to stay away from the clearly creepy and violent Jian Ghomeshi.

If I recall correctly, there was testimony during this trial that the 4th complainant was also involved in communication with the complainants in this trial.

If that is true, I would suspect the remaining trial will be dropped, but we shall see.

Ghomeshi – who kept a very low profile inside and outside the courtroom – hugged his mother and sister shortly after hearing the verdict. Because of this acquittal, he now has the option of pursuing a counter lawsuit for defamation or malicious prosecution against his accusers.

Looking back at the trial, the strategic decision not to testify in his own defence likely played a large part in why he walked out of Old City Hall a free man today.

He also has an all-star defence team to thank, lawyers Marie Henein and Danielle Robitaille, for using every moment of the trial’s 80 days to break down every fiber of his three complainants’ testimonies.

593482582001_3977765873001_video-still-for-video-3977742662001-878x494.jpg
http://www.citynews.ca/2016/03/24/ghomeshi-found-not-guilty-of-all-charges-in-sexual-assault-trial/

I am not surprised by the verdict. I believed the victims, but wished they had laid everything out on the table for the prosecution. I'm a true believer that where's there is smoke, there is fire. Sad day for the victims. Gomeshi will forever be scarred by this trial, whether he decides to pursue a career in media or not. I guess that is one victory for his victims.

Horkins added that while the evidence in the case raises a reasonable doubt, it "is not the same as deciding in any positive way that these events never happened."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/jian-ghomeshi-sexual-assault-trial-ruling-1.3505446

Imo, Judge Horkins seems to be saying what many have said while awaiting his verdict - something seems to have happened in each case, but the victims did not do themselves any favors prior to and during testimony.

In light of that, not impressed by the comment by sister of JG following the verdict. For some reason she felt compelled to say today -

"Our hardest burden has been our feeling of helplessness as we have watched him endure a punishment that was delivered not only prior to a verdict, but prior to any semblance of due process for well over a year," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jian-ghomeshi-sister-1.3505818

Imo, sister Jila did not hear or understand the judge - so shut-up Jila and go home. If this was scripted by MH - bad ending to an otherwise successful defense.

One more trial may proceed in the near future - imo - Jila, do your brother a favor and shut-up. MH - keep the family on a short leash - something happened/is wrong with your client.

Just my advice and opinion.

Because these women came forward to accuse Ghomeshi, there is a vast discourse happening right now on twitter, etc. concerning sexual assault and violence against women. To me that is a victory in itself for the women.

I know there is another criminal hearing against Ghomeshi in June but for now discussions about sexual abuse and violence against women are taking place across Canada. These discussions are a good thing!

#webelievethesurvivors

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaspurrjax