Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My advise to JG is: publicly apologize to the women you abused NOW. That would make everyone feel better and generate feelings of compassion and forgiveness towards him.

Several women described their injuries so what will he be charged with? Aggravated Sexual Assault seems appropriate. If he used a weapon, the charge would be aggravated sexual assault with a weapon (based on my experience.)

Where is JG? I heard he’s in Los Angeles. His sister lives in the same city as me and works at the University of Manitoba. He could seek refuge in a hospital.

I'm thinking JG could settle this matter out-of-court. KWIM?

Why don't JG's victims just file a lawsuit against JG? Isn't that the better route for them to take? Do they have to file legal charges first in order to file a lawsuit?

Why don't JG's victims just file a lawsuit against him? Isn't that the better route? Do they have to file legal charges first in order to file a lawsuit?

My advise to JG is: publicly apologize to the women you abused NOW. That would make everyone feel better and generate feelings of compassion and forgiveness towards him.

While I know where you're coming from, I think that sometimes an apology is so woefully inadequate that it will make some people think: Oh, you think that saying you're sorry will make this any better? But more to the point, I don't expect an apology will come until after a trial and before sentencing; it could be seen as an admission of guilt, so I doubt his lawyers would suggest such a course of action.

And he can't settle criminal charges out of court. If he attempted to do so, it would be witness tampering.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s_of_complaints_during_york_student_days.html

"Former York University student alleges Ghomeshi fondled him
Man who served on student federation with former CBC host more than 20 years ago accuses him of unwanted touching."

"“With no warning, he just reached over and grabbed my genitals (through Hounslow’s jeans) and started fondling them. I was completely shocked and I reacted,” Hounslow said.

Hounslow, who is roughly the same height and build as Ghomeshi (“I am built like a cyclist and I am a cyclist”), said he grabbed Ghomeshi’s arm, pulled it behind his back and then pushed Ghomeshi hard against the elevator doors.

“I told him, ‘You are never to do that again,’” Hounslow recalls.

The next day, in the student federation office, Hounslow said, Ghomeshi accused him of being “macho, violent and homophobic.” Hounslow recalls Ghomeshi saying that he had just been “playing around.”

“When you go through a trauma like that, you’re not interested in going out and telling strangers and having judgements,” she said of not going to cops at the time. “You just want to go home and you just want to forget about it.”

But finally telling her story to police was “a big relief” and not the “horrible” experience she expected.

“The police treated me with the utmost respect and care and there was no judgement,” she said.

The woman was also relieved to learn her identity will still be protected if she ends up testifying in court."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/04/chiefs-words-led-woman-to-file-jian-ghomeshi-report

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...s_of_complaints_during_york_student_days.html

"Former York University student alleges Ghomeshi fondled him
Man who served on student federation with former CBC host more than 20 years ago accuses him of unwanted touching."

"“With no warning, he just reached over and grabbed my genitals (through Hounslow’s jeans) and started fondling them. I was completely shocked and I reacted,” Hounslow said.

Hounslow, who is roughly the same height and build as Ghomeshi (“I am built like a cyclist and I am a cyclist”), said he grabbed Ghomeshi’s arm, pulled it behind his back and then pushed Ghomeshi hard against the elevator doors.

“I told him, ‘You are never to do that again,’” Hounslow recalls.

The next day, in the student federation office, Hounslow said, Ghomeshi accused him of being “macho, violent and homophobic.” Hounslow recalls Ghomeshi saying that he had just been “playing around.”

Wow, he's been a recognized predator from a long way back - it's so sad that we, collectively, tolerate such creeps with no more than hushed warnings to avoid them. We are so conditioned to acceptance of such bad behaviour as 'minor', not worthy of confronting/reporting/exposing/prosecuting - I hope that the exposure of cases like this slowly brings about changing attitudes, so guys like this cannot operate under the radar. He's gotten away with it for so long, is it any wonder he's come to believe that it is okay? So much okay, in his mind apparently, that he actually shows videos to his employer!

I am so thankful that his victims are finding their voices. It's difficult, I know - so kudos to those who find the strength to speak out.

I found one of my psychiatry textbooks the other night and did some reading on this, and it is not uncommon for people with paraphilias to be surprised at the angry reaction they get from others when they act inappropriately to satisfy their urges.

I am a tad surprised about this York story because it doesn't fit the pattern of the other stories we've heard so far, but then it is similar in that it involved Jian exerting power over another person in a sexual way, perhaps intending to inflict pain. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other men he grabbed who simply never reported it.

Isn't this the way JG behaved with some of the women who came forward and described what happened to them? Is JG replaying this incident?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...ex-attorney-general-michael-bryant/ar-BBd6lYK

Last week at a gala dinner honouring past presidents of the Criminal Lawyers Association, Henein, CLA treasurer and the evening's emcee, joked about Ghomeshi.

"As criminal lawyers we represent people who have committed heinous acts. Acts of violence. Acts of depravity. Acts of cruelty. Or as Jian Ghomeshi likes to call it, foreplay," she said to the crowd of about 450 lawyers, including judges of both the provincial and superior court where his case might be heard if charges are laid.

She also joked that she and Eddie Greenspan, famed Canadian criminal lawyer and the evening's keynote speaker, have worked together for many years. "Some criminal. Some regulatory. Some light BDSM." Both jokes drew huge laughs from the crowd at the Ritz Carlton.

Sex Attacker Blames Culture published in The Winnipeg Sun, Nov 5, 2014

An African immigrant sentenced Wednesday to seven years in prison for a violent sex attack on his girlfriend told corrections officials physical force against women is acceptable in his culture.

Questioned about a previous assault on his sister, the man said "In Africa, it is acceptable to use physical force as a means of enforcing respect," Crown attorney Sharyl Thomas quoted the man as saying in a pre-sentence report filed in court.

"It is very clear and illustrated by the pre-sentence report that there are substantial cultural differences in the way women are treated in (his) country of origin and Canada," Thomas said.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/11/05/sex-attacker-blames-culture

Ok full disclosure: I've met him. He chatted me up at a party once a few years ago. Spent the better part of the evening talking with him over some glasses of wine. My impression was that he was very charming, witty, flirtatious. No neon red warning signs. He asked for my number and I declined. He gave me his ( his CBC business card) and said he'd love to take me out. This was pre-Facebook and smartphones. I never called. Didn't really know of him at the time. He wasn't a huge CBC star back then. It was the era of "play". My girlfriend who was with me that night knew of him because she was into Indian guys and culture and she mistakingly thought he was Indian. We had a good giggle of her being so jealous over him hitting on me. Yes he was flirtatious and somewhat touchy but no more so than any guy hitting on a girl in any bar in the world. And yes he was disarmingly insecure which I found quite refreshing actually. Never did I think it masked anything more sinister.

And in a nice show of contempt for his fans while a member of Moxy Fruvous comes this lovely little ditty : http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/1...96_n_6090862.html?utm_hp_ref=canada&ir=Canada

and notice how in the video, when another guy started to speak to the camera, JG jumped up to take over the scene.

When Jian was singing his ditty, he didn't strike me as being serious, however, once he started talking I found it difficult to believe that he was truly joking.

ETA: Oh, and how did his voice get so much lower on Q?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainm...ex-attorney-general-michael-bryant/ar-BBd6lYK

Last week at a gala dinner honouring past presidents of the Criminal Lawyers Association, Henein, CLA treasurer and the evening's emcee, joked about Ghomeshi.

"As criminal lawyers we represent people who have committed heinous acts. Acts of violence. Acts of depravity. Acts of cruelty. Or as Jian Ghomeshi likes to call it, foreplay," she said to the crowd of about 450 lawyers, including judges of both the provincial and superior court where his case might be heard if charges are laid.

She also joked that she and Eddie Greenspan, famed Canadian criminal lawyer and the evening's keynote speaker, have worked together for many years. "Some criminal. Some regulatory. Some light BDSM." Both jokes drew huge laughs from the crowd at the Ritz Carlton.
Wow. That's fairly brutal. Wth

Smart hiring a female lawyer.

I'm betting it's going to backfire on him.

Jmo

By Smart, I mean, that on some sub-conscience level it appears that he already has 1 female who thinks what he stands accused of was fine.

Jmo

The "light BDSM" thing is pizzing me off.

Minimizing and joking about what has happened is tasteless.

For the record, from Wiki:

Light play

Light play consists of activities that are considered mild and/or carry little social stigma. This especially includes BDSM elements commonly practiced by "vanilla" couples. Light bedroom bondage and casual spanking are examples of light play.

And more importantly:

Safety and consent

See also: Safe, Sane, Consensual and Consent (BDSM)
Issues of safety and consent in play are paramount considerations within the BDSM community. Various models of consent and negotiation play a central part. Most participants consider it important to take responsibility for the safety of their partners. In addition, consent is typically what they consider to separate their activities from abuse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melavista21
Back