JLM *GUILTY* in 2005 Fairfax County Rape Case #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe I heard on a interview today that should JM have been found guilty by a jury of his peers in the fairfax case, that information would then be admissible in the Hannah Graham case. Whereas by taking the Alford plea the Fairfax case can not be brought up in the HG case. If this is true do you think the strategy was to take an Alford plea to keep the Fairfax case out of the equation since he is facing death in the HG case? Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard the opposite - that it is now ON his record, and can be used in future trials...

Jesse Matthew found guilty of all charges in Fairfax case
Peggy Fox, Surae Chinn, WUSA9,
2:59 pm, edt June 10, 15

~

It started to sink in for me with the report above, that much closer, today. A song set to images of radiant Morgan and her case, a nice thing to see and hear after yesterday. Found it via Ms. Laura French, (more great stuff here) and of course the other three panels of HSTNG's VP, Laura Vance's sketches, also there was this "Welcome to the Fish Bowl" by Kenny Chesney. One could spend days reviewing the coverage of this one day alone, just the facts as they were reported from court, the images, text, and impressions, the coverage was that well done by the press corps on this story, it seems to me.

Screenshot 2015-06-11 at 2.55.16 AM.pngScreenshot 2015-06-11 at 2.53.57 AM.pngScreenshot 2015-06-11 at 3.03.21 AM.png

~

Analysis: Behind Jesse Matthew’s Alford plea in Fairfax County

By Neal Augenstein, WTOP, June 10, '15 10:52 pm

~

Nadine Maeser, of WDBJ7, has this great shot of her trying to get a comment and various clips and more here too
Screenshot 2015-06-11 at 3.46.59 AM.png

~

David Culver, NBC Washington, reports here, and his colleagues M. Alex Johnson writes and Brent Solomon, NBC 12, reports about court today, with a great quote from Gil Harrington about the brave woman from India.

~

Jesse Matthew enters Alford plea in Fairfax
C-VILLE Writer, 6/10/15 at 5:09 PM

~

Jesse Matthew faces life in prison when sentenced in October in Fairfax
By Dean Seal, The Daily Progress, with thorough text and video

~

Jesse Matthew convicted in 2005 sex assault case in Fairfax
By T. Rees Shapiro The Washington Post, June 10, 10:12 pm text

and more video clips of DA Ray Morrogh

"Prosecutor hoped to present Matthew assault case to jury")

~

Gil Harrington responds following Jesse Matthew plea
By Dawn Jefferies, Anchor, WSLS10, Jun 10, '15 5:01 pm edt quotes DA Ray Morrogh and Gil Harrington

"A lot of defendants do it when they don't want to admit what they did," said prosecutor Ray Morrogh who went on to say he was confident in his case and hoped to present to a jury."
[...]
"Obviously we'll be seeking a substantial penitentiary sentence given the nature of these crimes."

and Mrs. Harrington said,

"It feels to me similar to when I heard that Morgan was missing from a concert and I said that it felt like the elevator drop two stories. And I'm feeling like that."

This is the girlfriend? I guess I understand blood relatives standing by a loved one, but I don't understand this. She's heard what he's done, heck she may even have seen the dark side of him.

Well, she certainly dressed appropriately for the occasion -- j-bird stripes and all!

He should have pleaded guilty from the start and not put his victim through this ordeal. Awful man I hope they throw away the key.

They were hoping she wouldn't show up to court. It's as simple as that. Thankfully she was able to make the journey and stand up to her attacker in court - despite the trauma and the distance.

Jesse Matthew found guilty of all charges in Fairfax case
Peggy Fox, Surae Chinn, WUSA9,
2:59 pm, edt June 10, 15

~

It started to sink in for me with the report above, that much closer, today. A song set to images of radiant Morgan and her case, a nice thing to see and hear after yesterday. Found it via Ms. Laura French, (more great stuff here) and of course the other three panels of HSTNG's VP, Laura Vance's sketches, also there was this "Welcome to the Fish Bowl" by Kenny Chesney. One could spend days reviewing the coverage of this one day alone, just the facts as they were reported from court, the images, text, and impressions, the coverage was that well done by the press corps on this story, it seems to me.

View attachment 76163View attachment 76164View attachment 76165

~

Analysis: Behind Jesse Matthew’s Alford plea in Fairfax County

By Neal Augenstein, WTOP, June 10, '15 10:52 pm

~

Nadine Maeser, of WDBJ7, has this great shot of her trying to get a comment and various clips and more here too
View attachment 76168

~

David Culver, NBC Washington, reports here, and his colleagues M. Alex Johnson writes and Brent Solomon, NBC 12, reports about court today, with a great quote from Gil Harrington about the brave woman from India.

~

Jesse Matthew enters Alford plea in Fairfax
C-VILLE Writer, 6/10/15 at 5:09 PM

~

Jesse Matthew faces life in prison when sentenced in October in Fairfax
By Dean Seal, The Daily Progress, with thorough text and video

~

Jesse Matthew convicted in 2005 sex assault case in Fairfax
By T. Rees Shapiro The Washington Post, June 10, 10:12 pm text

and more video clips of DA Ray Morrogh

"Prosecutor hoped to present Matthew assault case to jury")

~

Gil Harrington responds following Jesse Matthew plea
By Dawn Jefferies, Anchor, WSLS10, Jun 10, '15 5:01 pm edt quotes DA Ray Morrogh and Gil Harrington

"A lot of defendants do it when they don't want to admit what they did," said prosecutor Ray Morrogh who went on to say he was confident in his case and hoped to present to a jury."
[...]
"Obviously we'll be seeking a substantial penitentiary sentence given the nature of these crimes."

and Mrs. Harrington said,

"It feels to me similar to when I heard that Morgan was missing from a concert and I said that it felt like the elevator drop two stories. And I'm feeling like that."

Luv reading Gil Harringtons' Thoughts'...SaveTheNextGirl... Gil and Dan Harrington; warriors in the missing/murdered community, for years have diligently fought to save the next girl... Due to their courageous fight, there will not be another 'Next Girl's innocent life taken by JM...

Gil Harrington's Thoughts from September 18, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheNextGirl/posts/476782515679947
<5 minutes into the video - GH speaks at the CUE candle light vigil Cape Fear Riverfront, Wilmington, NC>
[video=youtube;qN878keA6K0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN878keA6K0[/video]
CUE Center National Conference-2010

So, I spent the better part of last evening trying to come to terms with the outcome of the trial yesterday. I do know that I wanted so much to see it go to jury and for him to be convicted by the jury. Having said that, if I understand the Alford Plea correctly, he is still maintaining his innocence while admitting there's enough evidence to convict him. This seems crazy to me, because wouldn't he still be admitting his guilt? Can anyone tell me what the advantage of this is for him? It seems that the sentencing could actually be more severe by taking this plea.

Paulap, good to "see" you here!

It's hard for all of us strangers to hear the details of the attack ... I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who know him. Hope you are doing ok!

still surreal

During the trial for Hannah's murder, they will mention that he took an Alford plea, right? So perhaps he thinks it will look *slightly* better to the jury if they are told he agreed that there was enough to convict but would not admit guilt, than to say he was found guilty of the 2005 rape and attempted murder? IDK. I wonder if the Alford plea changes anything that will told to the jurors in the HG trial.

still surreal

I'm still sorry, Paulap, that this touches you with all the sorrow you've had in your life already. Thank you for being here with us through it all and for all your help. You're one of my touchstones in all that happened through WS during those first weeks during the search. You help make it less surreal for me and that has always been appreciated.

Thank you, Foxfire, for sharing this. Gil and Dan Harrington's misfortune in losing radiant Morgan as horrible as that is, that the two of them have turned the worst devastation and agony into a dynamic full of dignity, humanity, grace and wisdom is a fortune and inspiration to all around them. I think they have helped set the tone along with the Grahams, Ms. Trina Murphy, Chief Longo, and now the DA's Ray Morrogh and Denise Lunsford. It seems to me that so many have risen in the course of these events to the best of what is possible.

Luv reading Gil Harringtons' Thoughts'...SaveTheNextGirl... Gil and Dan Harrington; warriors in the missing/murdered community, for years have diligently fought to save the next girl... Due to their courageous fight, there will not be another 'Next Girl's innocent life taken by JM...

Gil Harrington's Thoughts from September 18, 2012
<5 minutes into the video - GH speaks at the CUE candle light vigil Cape Fear Riverfront, Wilmington, NC>
[video=youtube;qN878keA6K0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN878keA6K0[/video]
CUE Center National Conference-2010

I'm still sorry, Paulap, that this touches you with all the sorrow you've had in your life already. Thank you for being here with us through it all and for all your help. You're one of my touchstones in all that happened through WS during those first weeks during the search. You help make it less surreal for me and that has always been appreciated.

Thank you, Foxfire, for sharing this. Gil and Dan Harrington's misfortune in losing radiant Morgan as horrible as that is, that the two of them have turned a most devastation and agony into a dynamic full of dignity, humanity, grace and wisdom is a fortune and inspiration to all around them. I think they have helped set the tone along with the Grahams, Ms. Trina Murphy, Chief Longo, and then now the DA's Morrogh and Lundsford. It seems so many have risen to the course of events to the best of what is possible.

thanks for those kind words
i think honestly and truth are always the best!
also, having lost a son less than a year ago in his 20's, and even when the circumstances were different, i know what a loss is... and i have only prayers for all of the families involved here!

thanks for those kind words
i think honestly and truth are always the best!
also, having lost a son less than a year ago in his 20's, and even when the circumstances were different, i know what a loss is... and i have only prayers for all of the families involved here!

Thank you, Paulap. I pray too, may there be more answers for all the families that could sooth some of their pain as justice grinds it's way to completion. Thank you for letting me count on you being here when it counts, ma'am.

The other touchstone for me, would be Coy Barefoot's coverage as a person who had enough trust and respect in his community, persistence, and a true love for the place and the people that made a difference in how Hannah Graham touched us all, I do believe. The people from the last night Hannah Graham was seen opened up to him very early in the process. That was unique as these thing go from what I've seen. I have yet to find the link to get back to them, but there were live broadcasts of his radio show that were valuable and informative from yesterday.

((((Paulap)))) I'm very sorry for your loss. You're right, you lose a part of yourself when you lose a child.

((((Paulap)))) I'm very sorry for your loss. You're right, you lose a part of yourself when you lose a child.

and my son was a true charlottesvillian, too! thanks again.

Nadine Maeser &#8207;@nadine_maeser 1d1 day ago
#JesseMatthew says he is satisfied by his defense team. By accepting #AlfordPlea, Matthew waives his right to appeal. @WDBJ7

I've been trying to figure this out since it all happened yesterday, but this gives me peace. My concern was that he was setting it up for appeal, but it seems he has waived his right to do so - can anyone clarify further? I can't comprehend the motions to strike the charges then the immediate Alford plea without presenting any defense. I just can't. And I'm sickened by the tweets of his attorney's statements regarding the defense's failure to prove the charges. Will a transcript ever be available for the public to read?

Paulap, I, too, am sorry for your loss. I can only imagine this last week or two have been draining for you as well. You doing ok?

Nadine Maeser &#8207;@nadine_maeser 1d1 day ago
#JesseMatthew says he is satisfied by his defense team. By accepting #AlfordPlea, Matthew waives his right to appeal. @WDBJ7

I've been trying to figure this out since it all happened yesterday, but this gives me peace. My concern was that he was setting it up for appeal, but it seems he has waived his right to do so - can anyone clarify further? I can't comprehend the motions to strike the charges then the immediate Alford plea without presenting any defense. I just can't. And I'm sickened by the tweets of his attorney's statements regarding the defense's failure to prove the charges. Will a transcript ever be available for the public to read?

Paulap, I, too, am sorry for your loss. I can only imagine this last week or two have been draining for you as well. You doing ok?
I am angry that they refuse to admit defeat and guilt. I think it's mainly bc they are setting things up for the HG trial, mostly.
I cannot wait to hear all of the evidence they have in the HG case that we haven't been told about yet.

He's more than likely going to be given the death penalty for that. And then there is the Morgan Harrington charges, which we haven't heard if there will be...

The Post's View
The survivor that secured Jesse Matthew&#8217;s conviction

The Washington Post's Editorial Board, today, salutes

"the bravery of a woman who agreed to travel half a world and relive a decade-old nightmare to bring her attacker to justice."

[...]

"Yet she was resolute, speaking in even tones, The Post&#8217;s Justin Jouvenal and T. Rees Shapiro reported, her voice quavering only when she detailed the specifics of the assault. No doubt that kind of strength helped her as she faced the hurdles of getting justice, from submitting to medical examination to repeated questioning by police and prosecutors.

[...]

"The media generally withhold the name of people who have been sexually assaulted, but that sometimes makes it hard to thank or praise them. Or to think of them not as victims but as survivors. Even better was the description posted online from one reader about this woman: &#8220;a hero.&#8221;"

~

Respectfully Bolded

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3