JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to guess, I would say that there are no charges against JLM's family members because LE is hoping to get their cooperation. Known hangouts, where was he Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion that none of his family, roommates, or close friends will talk. JMO.

There are no charges because you have to be able to prove that they knowingly aided him. Remember, you are under no obligation to intervene, so even if they knew he was running, or if he called them, they didn't have to report it.

You can't lie to LE, but you don't have to volunteer information either.

My first reaction was What?! Why??

Maybe you're right, maybe they want to up the charges and need time to prepare paperwork. But that's over 2 months away. Sheesh.

No, it is because the defense knows that bond won't be granted in a case like this since he was considered a fugitive when arrested. They won't give you bail under those circumstances, no matter what crime you are accused of, because they think you will just run again. The defense would rather just go directly to the next step in the process as soon as possible without revealing any information to the prosecution rather than risk a hearing that would only serve to inflame public opinion but which would almost certainly be denied.

There are no charges because you have to be able to prove that they knowingly aided him. Remember, you are under no obligation to intervene, so even if they knew he was running, or if he called them, they didn't have to report it.

You can't lie to LE, but you don't have to volunteer information either.

He was driving his sister's car when he was picked up in Texas. Did she report it stolen?

No, it is because the defense knows that bond won't be granted in a case like this since he was considered a fugitive when arrested. They won't give you bail under those circumstances, no matter what crime you are accused of, because they think you will just run again. The defense would rather just go directly to the next step in the process as soon as possible without revealing any information to the prosecution rather than risk a hearing that would only serve to inflame public opinion but which would almost certainly be denied.

Agreed. Also, his attorney spoke to him for at least a couple of hours after his return to Charlottesville. There have been a number of people here who have posted ethical/legal responsibilities of defense attorneys. One being if his client is planning to commit a crime, he can't further that effort. Perhaps JLM indicated to his attorney he'd run again.

He was driving his sister's car when he was picked up in Texas. Did she report it stolen?

Police stated at that time that his family was cooperating. Maybe it was willful ignorance on her part.

One thing that really struck me is that the nose in both the sketch and photo skews slightly to the right (I.e. broken/misaligned)

No it isn't. The shape of the face is different, the hairline is different, the eyebrow setting is different. Those are the sorts of characteristics that would best be remembered. And don't tell me their noses and lips look similar, because those are very common features in people of African descent.

They are similar in the sense that they are two heavy set black guys, but heavy set black guys are not that uncommon.

Isn't there a law about aiding and abetting a fugitive? Harboring a fugitive would mean letting them live with you, or helping them hide??? I don't know. Only second cup of coffee. Can't think. But I remember there being an outrage in Maria Lauterbach's case when her murdered fled to Mexico, and his wife knew, but didn't report it, and/or didn't report contact with him while a fugitive. She wasn't charged, btw.

At any rate, I don't think they'll levy charges against him anytime soon either. Thursday is his hearing on the reckless driving. He's locked up, and will be for awhile, so no reason to rush a case and foul it up. Take the time, dot the i, cross the t, and see where the evidence leads them. Even with DNA, and if the DNA is semen, while to most that would be hard to dismiss, it would be a strange case to present to jurors stating "Ladies and gentlemen of the juror. On such and such date, Morgan Harrington disappeared from JPA and was found months later on a farm 10 miles away. Morgan's death has been ruled a homicide. JM's DNA from semen was found on her body. JM never came forward and said he was with Morgan. We have found no connection between Morgan and JW, therefore we present to you that JM is guilty of abducting Morgan from JPA area, and murdering her, disposing of her body on the farm. " and then expect the juror to say "yup, we agree, guilty"... 5 minute trial? Not likely. As Longo said, much to be done on the case before it goes to trial. I don't know how much information they already have on Morgan's case, and how they will be able to determine where JM was at the time. If he was never questioned then, thus no alibi on record for that time, going to be rough going for investigators. I sure couldn't remember where I was then. Of course JM knows where he was, but he ain't talking!

But speaking of Morgan's case, once her body was found, IIRC, they spoke with all neighboring land, anyone they could find that would have a reason to be on that land. Hunters, and fishermen I would think would have been among that round up. Now, whether JM was EVER spoken to then, or his name anywhere in that case file....that's going to be important, and I hope it's there! Whether it was in talking to neighboring landowners, people known to the area, etc., I hope there is some statement from him in that file! Because if he said he didn't know her, never saw her, etc., and it's in that file, and then his DNA is found....someone's got some 'splaining to do!!!

I'm wondering if they will lump most of the cases together, and go that route? Barton Corbin was charged with his wife's murder, as well as his exgf from college murder. I want to say they were both in the same case, but can't remember, because he pled guilty during the start of the trial when the gun was shown to have been obtained from a friend of his. Once the gun was shown to have been in his possession, he threw the towel in. Trying to think of cases were more than one offense of murder was tried as one case. Wasn't BTK??

At the same time, if linking the cases aren't strong enough for a case, they might try them individually with the one being the strongest first, thus he would then have prior convictions, that might be able to be brought up in the other cases. Not sure.

Is there a stature of limitation on rape charges? Can others come forward now?

JMO!

Not in Virginia.

:yes: Maybe the two known reported cases will feel enough support to come forward and press those charges now! We can hope!!

:yes: Maybe the two known reported cases will feel enough support to come forward and press those charges now! We can hope!!

It would depend on whether a rape kit was obtained, I guess. The strongest case for rape remains with the Fairfax victim.

I wish we could combine the Morgan and Fairfax Thread with the Other Possible Victims thread. How do we ask mods for this? Or am I the only one who feels this way.

Morgan's, Hannah's, disappearance are related by forensic evidence. Connections between Hannah and other rapes/murders/missing persons are speculative. Wouldn't it make more sense to connect the discussions when there are known connections between Hannah and other cases?

Is it more likely that....

The prosecution will just keep delaying JLM's trial for Hannah's case until they have enough to charge him w/ Morgan's murder too?

or...

Have the trial for Hannah's abduction and possible murder, and then drag JLM out of jail years later when they finally have enough for Morgan's case?

I wonder if he is sentenced to life or DP for Hannah's case, if there will be some resistance to have additional trials when he is obviously not going anywhere.

It would depend on whether a rape kit was obtained, I guess. The strongest case for rape remains with the Fairfax victim.

It would have been impossible for the 2005 rape victim to identify her assailant in a line up given that Jesse was all over the news before he was connected with her rape. If the 2005 rape is the strongest case, would that be prosecuted first? The 2002 and 2003 cases should also be carefully examined in terms of whether they can go forward. I wonder if they can be prosecuted together ... two attempted rapes and one rape. That would start the ball rolling for keeping Jesse in prison as police continue to search for Hannah.

Is it more likely that....

The prosecution will just keep delaying JLM's trial for Hannah's case until they have enough to charge him w/ Morgan's murder too?

or...

Have the trial for Hannah's abduction and possible murder, and then drag JLM out of jail years later when they finally have enough for Morgan's case?

I wonder if he is sentenced to life or DP for Hannah's case, if there will be some resistance to have additional trials when he is obviously not going anywhere.

I have been wondering that myself. Once a perp is convicted and imprisoned, how are any subsequent charges handled? Is he tried from a prison cell-- even if he has a life sentence?

DNA is only one piece of evidence...they still need to try to place him at crime scene, near the arena, etc, somewhere Morgan was known to be, make sure he was not out of town, check alibi as best as possible. At least one "Cold Case Files" I watched had a DNA match from a coffee cup just the start of putting a case together. First thing they needed to rule out was any chance that the killer knew the victim and could have been in a consensual relationship. They then moved on to determining where he was that night. So it is not just DNA= entire case.

Check his facebook

Jm's. Check his Facebook , see if there is anything around the dates of the Metallica concerts etc...

Morgan Harrington's story was covered in the May 2010 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine. In the last paragraph of the 4 page article--I found this interesting.(At the time of this article, the release of Sketch had not been made public.)

From Cosmopolitan magazine--page 205--May 2010 issue, article written by Kimberly Goad:

Here is a link to the article which is online: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/advice/a3534/morgan-harrington-disappearance/

When Morgan's mother saw the condition of her daughter's remains, there was a measure of relief in realizing what law enforcement suspected: She hadn't lived long after being abducted.~~~~~~~~~~~~

This makes me wonder why LE is stating they believe that HG may still be alive.

Jamicat, I believe I read that JM's DNA was found underneath Morgan's fingernails. When I have the chance I will search for link for this info.

Morgan Harrington's story was covered in the May 2010 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine. In the last paragraph of the 4 page article--I found this interesting.(At the time of this article, the release of Sketch had not been made public.)

From Cosmopolitan magazine--page 205--May 2010 issue, article written by Kimberly Goad:

When Morgan's mother saw the condition of her daughter's remains, there was a measure of relief in realizing what law enforcement suspected: She hadn't lived long after being abducted.~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online link to article:http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/advice/a3534/morgan-harrington-disappearance/

This makes me wonder why LE is stating they believe that HG may still be alive?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugar4Mama