JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that the link to MH might have been the unique necklace that she was wearing and was never found. I didn't get the impression that there was a DNA link from JM to MH although there was a DNA match from MH to the Fairfax victim. I guess it was his wording that there was a link to MH, but don't remember anything specific about DNA and MH. Did I miss something there? Has it been mentioned specifically that there has been a DNA match of JM to MH?

Cnn says it was definitely a DNA link to MH, so that answers my question. No charges have been filed. I really hope if HG is not found soon that the DNA is strong enough forensic evidence plus the circumstantial evidence of the rapes that didn't get justice at the two colleges, his flight from Charlottesville and whatever else they can come up with that will put him away for life. He should get the death penalty but they might need more than they have for that. This is so sad as we know chances are slim to none that she is alive. I hope they find her so her parents can have a little peace knowing where she is and giving her a proper burial so they can at least visit her. I am praying for the authorities to find her. This breaks my heart and I hope all the missing women are found. There have sure been a lot in that area . I wonder how many he is responsible for.

A lot of the info we have on MH has come from her parents, not directly from LE. In her blog, MH's mother says that she was given the autopsy report on her daughter. I believe she also mentions seeing what was left of her daughter.

I don't know how the coroner was able to determine that MH was raped ,and that she was brutally beaten. We don't know if this is a conclusion that MH's mother has made, or it is an official verdict from the coroner. Since the remains were skeletal, I don't know how LE could have gotten semen samples from her body...but MH might have been left with some shreds of clothing or something that had semen on it.

Semen is not the only thing that has DNA on it. Hair, skin, blood do as well. So we don't know what LE was using to get what matches at this point. We do know that a good DNA swab was done so that an optimal sample is now being used from JM to run matches. From what I understand, the forensic analyses were done second hand before, likely from the car, clothing, apartment of JM's to get those preliminary links. Links and direct matches are not the same, either.

The other thing is that cause of death for MH has not been released. I read that from the condition of a throat bone, a coroner can establish death by strangulation many times even from skeletal remains, so I am guessing that was the case for MH. The woman raped in Fairfax was injured from a strangulation attempt along with the rape, but survived because the rapist did not finish here off due the someone coming to investigate. And those two cases are linked by DNA, as we know.

Morgan's remains were not totally skeletonised. There was still some soft tissue left that they were able to do testing on. I haven't got the link to this at this moment but I know I've read this.

Here's a hypothetical:

I've read that there was DNA on a T-shirt and on MH's remains. Do we know for a fact that it is the same person's DNA?

What if the DNA from one of the items is linked to the 2005 case and the DNA from the other item is linked the JM.

That would explain the forensic (DNA) link between JM and MH case and the lack of a link to the 2005 case.

JMO

Here's a hypothetical:

I've read that there was DNA on a T-shirt and on MH's remains. Do we know for a fact that it is the same person's DNA?

What if the DNA from one of the items is linked to the 2005 case and the DNA from the other item is linked the JM.

That would explain the forensic (DNA) link between JM and MH case and the lack of a link to the 2005 case.

JMO

DNA found on Morgan's body has been matched to DNA in the 2005 Fairfax rape case. That's a fact. Whether there is DNA on a shirt is kind of meaningless, given that the shirt was found on a bush.

Is there a link that gives more information about DNA on Morgan's shirt? I've never read anything about DNA on her shirt, so I'm curious.

DNA found on Morgan's body has been matched to DNA in the 2005 Fairfax rape case. That's a fact. Whether there is DNA on a shirt is kind of meaningless, given that the shirt was found on a bush.

Is there a link that gives more information about DNA on Morgan's shirt? I've never read anything about DNA on her shirt, so I'm curious.

Do you happen to have a link where DNA was found on Morgan's body? That seems to have been a topic of discussion - I've never seen where LE has said where in fact the DNA evidence came from - her body or the shirt.

Do you happen to have a link where DNA was found on Morgan's body? That seems to have been a topic of discussion - I've never seen where LE has said where in fact the DNA evidence came from - her body or the shirt.
Her remains were found in a hayfield on a farm in Albemarle County three months after her disappearance. The forensic evidence was collected at the site where the body was found, state police said in a statement.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/hannah-graham-suspect/16430383/
I'll keep looking for more links, but this one lets us know the evidence didn't come from her shirt at least.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/29/hannah-graham-suspect/16430383/
I'll keep looking for more linked, but this one lets us know the evidence didn't come from her shirt at least.

DNA was found on Morgan's body. There have been several comments (too many, actually) claiming that there was DNA on Morgan's shirt, and that the shirt is connected to the 2005 rape. This seems to be a rumor that forms the foundation for a theory that a police officer is involved. Given that it's such a widespread rumor, I'm curious where it originated.

I'll keep looking for more links, but this one lets us know the evidence didn't come from her shirt at least.

One reason I'd agree with the DNA coming from Morgan rather than the shirt is that the shirt was recovered in Nov. 09 and I would imagine had been tested for DNA soon after being found. If DNA found on the shirt was linked to the Faifax rapist I think it would have been broadcast before July 2010.

ETA: Morgan was found end of Jan. 2010 and the connection to the Fairfax rapist announced July 2010 which would be about the time it would take for the DNA results and subsequent running through a data base to be back (according to various reports).

One reason I'd agree with the DNA coming from Morgan rather than the shirt is that the shirt was recovered in Nov. 09 and I would imagine had been tested for DNA soon after being found. If DNA found on the shirt was linked to the Faifax rapist I think it would have been broadcast before July 2010.

There's no question that the DNA connecting Morgan and the 2005 case came from Morgan, not a shirt.

"Investigators will only say that forensic evidence ties the suspect to Morgan Harrington's abduction and murder in Charlottesville. But Harrington's parents confirmed this afternoon it was DNA found on Morgan that matches the suspect in the Fairfax case."

http://www.wlox.com/story/12742496/update-morgan-harringtons-death-linked-to-case-in-fairfax

For weeks, the comment about DNA on the shirt has been repeated ... on a daily basis. I'd like to see a link supporting the claim. I'm pretty sure it's a rumor that has grown legs.

There's no question that the DNA connecting Morgan and the 2005 case came from Morgan, not a shirt.

"Investigators will only say that forensic evidence ties the suspect to Morgan Harrington's abduction and murder in Charlottesville. But Harrington's parents confirmed this afternoon it was DNA found on Morgan that matches the suspect in the Fairfax case."

http://www.wlox.com/story/12742496/update-morgan-harringtons-death-linked-to-case-in-fairfax

For weeks, the comment about DNA on the shirt has been repeated ... on a daily basis. I'd like to see a link supporting the claim. I'm pretty sure it's a rumor that has grown legs.

Great- thanks for that link! Well, as another poster recently pointed out here somewhere- if there is DNA confirmation from MH's body that matches Fairfax, then whether there is DNA from the t-shirt is kind of irrelevant. We know she was wearing that shirt. And there is absolutely no way to track who or what had contact with the shirt between when she was last seen and when it was found on the bush. One would assume the shirt had DNA of the same perp that was found her body. So we don't even need to find a link on the shirt IMO.

IMO as I've said all along, I think the DNA is semen. When you are raped they take a rape kit which includes a swap of DNA from your vaginal area. I'm pretty sure that's the first thing they would have done in the fairfax case and as for MH we know she was raped, how do we know that if DNA didn't come from her body? Know what I mean? It's only logical to assume this. IMO

Great- thanks for that link! Well, as another poster recently pointed out here somewhere- if there is DNA confirmation from MH's body that matches Fairfax, then whether there is DNA from the t-shirt is kind of irrelevant. We know she was wearing that shirt. And there is absolutely no way to track who or what had contact with the shirt between when she was last seen and when it was found on the bush. One would assume the shirt had DNA of the same perp that was found her body. So we don't even need to find a link on the shirt IMO.

Exactly. I've actually posted that link many times in the last couple of weeks. The two cases are connected because of DNA on Morgan's body. What I don't understand is why the comment about DNA on the shirt keeps coming up. It's not true, and there doesn't appear to be a link suggesting that DNA was found on the shirt, so why is the rumor repeated so often?

IMO as I've said all along, I think the DNA is semen. When you are raped they take a rape kit which includes a swap of DNA from your vaginal area. I'm pretty sure that's the first thing they would have done in the fairfax case and as for MH we know she was raped, how do we know that if DNA didn't come from her body? Know what I mean? It's only logical to assume this. IMO

Agreed that it seems the DNA came from her body (thanks to Otto's link we have that backed up for the most part I think). But I wouldn't be so sure it came from a rape swab kit in MH's case. My personal hunch is that it came from under her fingernails- scratching/grabbing of perp. If her remains were nearly skeletonized, I can't really see there being an opportunity to do rape swabbing from the usual body areas in those cases. I believe that I've read that fingernails are often still intact at the stage of MH's body decomposition. So my belief is that the DNA came from under fingernails.

But either way, yes, the DNA is from the body it appears.

Exactly. I've actually posted that link many times in the last couple of weeks. The two cases are connected because of DNA on Morgan's body. What I don't understand is why the comment about DNA on the shirt keeps coming up. It's not true, and there doesn't appear to be a link suggesting that DNA was found on the shirt, so why is the rumor repeated so often?

BBM. Ah, yes. A good question regarding many rumors....

I think many people don't take the time or don't have the time to read through a lot of the posts (there are copious amounts of new ones if one stays off the boards for even a day or two), so there is not always a linear progression of facts on the board. Part of the challenge in a forum like this.

Agreed that it seems the DNA came from her body (thanks to Otto's link we have that backed up for the most part I think). But I wouldn't be so sure it came from a rape swab kit in MH's case. My personal hunch is that it came from under her fingernails- scratching/grabbing of perp. If her remains were nearly skeletonized, I can't really see there being an opportunity to do rape swabbing from the usual body areas in those cases. I believe that I've read that fingernails are often still intact at the stage of MH's body decomposition. So my belief is that the DNA came from under fingernails.

But either way, yes, the DNA is from the body it appears.

I agree, but at the same time I'd like to know how they definitively say she was raped without some kind of evidence of such? What I do know is that it was a cold winter and I remember hearing that the body was well preserved because of this.
Edited to add...I'm not saying she hadn't decomposed at all I'm just saying I don't think she was completely bones.

I agree, but at the same time I'd like to know how they definitively say she was raped without some kind of evidence of such? What I do know is that it was a cold winter and I remember hearing that the body was well preserved because of this.

Totally agree. I've been confused about how they knew she was raped from the very first time I read that way back when. B/c I also know it was reported her body was skeletonized (findmorgan.com as the only link I can pull at the moment, but widely reported at the time IIRC). I guess I don't really understand what a "well-preserved" skeleton can reveal or what that entails. So yes, I'm not understanding the forensics of that.

BBM. Ah, yes. A good question regarding many rumors....

I think many people don't take the time or don't have the time to read through a lot of the posts (there are copious amounts of new ones if one stays off the boards for even a day or two), so there is not always a linear progression of facts on the board. Part of the challenge in a forum like this.

True enough, but the rumor must have started without a link. The false information serves the purpose of muddying the connection between Morgan, the 2005 case, and Hannah. That is, if people are persuaded to believe that the 2005 case is connected with a shirt that was found lying around, it weakens the connection between the two cases. If Hannah's disappearance is connected with a shirt, it also weakens the connections between the three cases. In reality, there is a 100% connection between the 2005 case and Morgan, and there is a forensic link between Hannah and Morgan. What appears to be true is that Jesse Matthew is responsible for at least three assaults/murders - I'm assuming that Hannah has been murdered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth