DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012...rington_060412
Help Us Catch a Killer
Unknown Offender Linked by DNA in Two Separate Cases

DNA recovered in the Harrington case was linked to an unknown offender in a September 2005 sexual assault in Fairfax City. A 26-year-old woman was attacked at night while walking home from a grocery store. The offender was scared away by a passerby—but the victim got a good look at him, enabling a Fairfax City Police artist to produce a sketch of the attacker.

“It was a remarkable break to get the DNA match,” said FBI Special Agent Jane Collins. The forensic evidence linked the two cases, so now we have a face to put with the suspect in the Harrington case. The suspect is described as an African-American male with black hair and facial hair (at the time of the 2005 attack). He is approximately 6 feet tall and was believed to be between the ages of 25 and 35 years old at the time of the Fairfax City assault.

The reporter L French just said on Anderson Cooper, JM had access to the cab-which is a light brown van cab, 24/7. That he was able to turn off the radio system on the cab. You can't do that now. He could drive that cab without it being documented.

When that story came out recently of the young girls that took JM's van cab ride to that equestrian event, the girl in the video said JM gave them his phone number if they ever wanted another ride. I said it then, if those girls called his cell the ride would not go through dispatch and there would be no record of him picking up one of them. Being able to access the van 24/7, turning off the radio, it's a serial rapist/killer's dream.

By the way, as a side remark on the April 2010 minivan cab photo link I posted above: People are saying JM started growing the dreadlocks after MH was murdered, but I am quite sure he could not have grown dreads as long as they appear in the April 2010 pix (dreads between 3" and 5" inches) in just six months. With hair of that kinky-curly type, growth in length is very slow. (As parent to two A.A. kids, I can attest it would take a year or even two to get that much length.) So either he started growing the dreds before MH was murdered, or the pix are actually from later (April 2011, instead)?

2Hope4: I posted that link to the minivan-cab images, above. The minivan cab in those pix (supposedly April 2010) show what looks like a silver minivan.

When that story came out recently of the young girls that took JM's van cab ride to that equestrian event, the girl in the video said JM gave them his phone number if they ever wanted another ride. I said it then, if those girls called his cell the ride would not go through dispatch and there would be no record of him picking up one of them. Being able to access the van 24/7, turning off the radio, it's a serial rapist/killer's dream.

I thought about that but then I figured it would actually be just as, if not more risky. First thing they would do is pull the phone records for the girl. Of course, he could give them a ride home and find out where they live, etc., which would allow more time to pass before he could do something.

Definitely creepy.

I would hope to God LE wouldn't keep that under their hat, knowing how many drunk and vulnerable women take cabs thinking they're doing the right thing by not driving and getting a safe ride home.

Especially with UVA's system of a "free" (bill you later) ride home in a cab by showing your student ID.

To be honest, as a woman who once lived in DC, and then moved to Charlottesville, having a reliable cab driver whose number you could call without waiting for the cab company to dispatch was a lifesend! I had a very reliable cabbie in DC who gave me his cell #, let me ride in the front seat, and was a total gentleman (and married father of 4 children) and legitimately wanted to look out for a young woman in a big city. When I moved to Charlottesville, I met a few cab drivers that were quick to offer me their phone #'s to call directly. Before you think it's because they had bad intentions, they truly weren't creepy about it. Just about every time, I was getting a cab with my husband, and they only offered their #'s after we told them we'd been waiting a long time for a cab, etc. It's very common for cab drivers to give their numbers to get preferred customers. As was the case with my husband and I, any time we'd use a cab driver whose number we had, the cab would come super quick, and we would over-tip to show our gratitude. I know a lot of cabbies do this in the Charlottesville area.

Based on the possible forensic links in multiple locations: rape in fairfax, MH body at Anchorage Farm, HG evidence in JM's car, possible DNA in taxi they found that he had been driving in Oct 2009.... it looks to me like LE is getting enough evidence to (at the minimum) put this guy away for a lot of years FOR ANY ONE of these crimes. They are holding most of their cards close to the chest... they don't want to have to move the trial. If protracted, that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and they also want the community the satisfaction of seeing justice done at home. That's why there is always a balance between releasing some information to stimulate the public, and holding back a lot more so that hey can find an impartial jury and make sure the venue is not changed.

By the way, as a side remark on the April 2010 minivan cab photo link I posted above: People are saying JM started growing the dreadlocks after MH was murdered, but I am quite sure he could not have grown dreads as long as they appear in the April 2010 pix (dreads between 3" and 5" inches) in just six months. With hair of that kinky-curly type, growth in length is very slow. (As parent to two A.A. kids, I can attest it would take a year or even two to get that much length.)

Bonacker, I think we can reasonably conclude that it is no accident that JM has escaped justice for a decade or more. Experienced psychopathic predators are very creative, calculating, deflecting, and manipulative. They will fool family, friends, and even the most experienced homicide investigators due to their chameleonlike abilities..
It would be reasonable to conclude that JM likely used fake dreadlock weave extensions to change his appearance after MH's disappearance, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCTFbDg5tXQ

I don't necessarily agree with this. We have no idea how long JM hair was during the time MH was murdered. Remember, the sketch it what the 2005 rape suspect looked like. Also, I did a quick google search of 6 months dreadlocks growth and images of men with similar hair length popped up. It's easier to retain length when locking hair. JMO

By the way, as a side remark on the April 2010 minivan cab photo link I posted above: People are saying JM started growing the dreadlocks after MH was murdered, but I am quite sure he could not have grown dreads as long as they appear in the April 2010 pix (dreads between 3" and 5" inches) in just six months. With hair of that kinky-curly type, growth in length is very slow. (As parent to two A.A. kids, I can attest it would take a year or even two to get that much length.) So either he started growing the dreds before MH was murdered, or the pix are actually from later (April 2011, instead)?

So LE sees the video of Hannah that night. Do they recognize him right away? Or do they find out his name, realize they questioned him for Morgan's disappearance and start putting the pieces together?

if they had dna linking MH and Fairfax, they knew they were looking for an AA male for those crimes

I agree. I have even had a cabbie deliver cigarettes to the bar. We had his number and he dropped us off. We called and said we didn't want to leave yet, but could he bring us some smokes? Not only did he bring us cigarettes, he came back to get us at last call.

Especially with UVA's system of a "free" (bill you later) ride home in a cab by showing your student ID.

Are you serious? Then it's an even bigger mystery why HG didn't call a cab rather than supposedly wandering around town lost and texting her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ksj3 View Post

Are you serious? Then it's an even bigger mystery why HG didn't call a cab rather than supposedly wandering around town lost and texting her friends.

Most sexual predators/SKs are analogous to con men and use a ruse/s to snare their prey/victims. I'm sure JM had many, that he had practiced on his unsuspecting innocent victims, so many times before.
Although all the ladies of the night on the strip in Kings County, WA knew that a serial killer was actively abducting/murdering prostitutes. Green River Serial Killer Gary Ridgeway, used various effective ruses. One was to play on their greed and offer them double or triple their asking price in advance. GR knew at the end of the day, that he would recoup his money in full..

Green River, Running Red: The Real Story of the Green River Killer- by Ann Rule
http://www.amazon.com/Green-River-Running-Red-Killer-Americas/dp/0743460502

Mike Valerio ‏@MikeNBC12 · 9m9 minutes ago
Just In - State Police: Jesse Matthew never interviewed in 2009 in connection w the Morgan Harrington investigation

BzjP5P7IEAE7ALZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/MikeNBC12

(I don't know enough about this reporter to respond)

They also have their own "Safe Ride" program, which gives students a free ride home after the bus system stops operating. Hannah appears to have been out of the boundary for that, but perhaps that's why she appeared to be trying to figure out which direction to go at McGrady's - to get back IN the boundary. http://www.virginia.edu/uvapolice/saferideradius.pdf

They announced a week or two after Hannah went missing that they were going to increase the numbers of vans for that system and the hours it operates. I fear perhaps she tried to get a ride on that and was bumped due to them being full. http://wtvr.com/2014/09/24/uva-increases-safe-ride-program-in-wake-of-hannah-grahams-disappearance/

I think they need to also increase the boundary. Even though students are not often where Hannah is, it's not like they never are. (Reason for needing a new thread to discuss actions the university and the city need to take.)

But, yes, in all heartbreaking irony, she could have called a cab and not needed cash to pay for it. (But then her parents would have seen it on their bill.) http://www.virginia.edu/uvapolice/saferide.html

Mike Valerio ‏@MikeNBC12 · 9m9 minutes ago
Just In - State Police: Jesse Matthew never interviewed in 2009 in connection w the Morgan Harrington investigation

View attachment 60965

https://twitter.com/MikeNBC12

(I don't know enough about this reporter to respond)

Hmmm. I assumed that the info I read that JM had been interviewed by LE in the 2009 disappearance of MH as a taxi cab driver at that time was correct. Made sense to me, as I would have expected LE would want to talk to every single cab driver to find out if any of them gave MH a ride. There were also reports that MH definitely got into a cab--is that true? I also thought that it was a fact that had been released that JM was driving a taxi that very night MH disappeared. ALso that the very taxi had been found on some farm just recently. Are these things true facts or just theories or incorrect info circulating?

They also have their own "Safe Ride" program, which gives students a free ride home after the bus system stops operating. Hannah appears to have been out of the boundary for that, but perhaps that's why she appeared to be trying to figure out which direction to go at McGrady's - to get back IN the boundary. http://www.virginia.edu/uvapolice/saferideradius.pdf

They announced a week or two after Hannah went missing that they were going to increase the numbers of vans for that system and the hours it operates. I fear perhaps she tried to get a ride on that and was bumped due to them being full. http://wtvr.com/2014/09/24/uva-increases-safe-ride-program-in-wake-of-hannah-grahams-disappearance/

I think they need to also increase the boundary. Even though students are not often where Hannah is, it's not like they never are. (Reason for needing a new thread to discuss actions the university and the city need to take.)

But, yes, in all heartbreaking irony, she could have called a cab and not needed cash to pay for it. (But then her parents would have seen it on their bill.) http://www.virginia.edu/uvapolice/saferide.html

Yes, she could have. But this was her first year living off campus and this is not an area that UVA student hang out, so she may not have understood exactly how that worked, she may not have had ID with her (no purse on her, no word on what she had with her), she might not have seen any cabs. It appears that she had tried to enter McGrady's which was familar to her, and she may have been hoping to see someone she knew. She was also "extremely intoxicated" which would have impaired her judgement. I can tell you that even without having had some drinks, it's extremely befuddling and sets you aback when head off some direction, not focus on the journey and end up somewhere completely different. It's jarring and confusing, and it takes some time to decide what to do. And also, students are often cautioned about spending too much money at school. She might have been trying to figure out where to get a van, a cab, or find a familiar face when she ran into JM, and if he offered up a ride, that would have been a quick and easy solution to her problem. She really wasn't that far from where she wanted to go, particularly by car.

Interesting conversation going on at the Help Find Morgan Harrington facebook page regarding the taxi having been found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bannosusan5