JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jeff Goldberg @jgoldbergABC7 · 59m 59 minutes ago

#JesseMatthew arraigned in Fairfax Co. Will have public defender. Status hearing set for Fri 10/14. Trial date likely set then.

https://twitter.com/jgoldbergABC7

I thought Charlottesville attorney, JM's defense atty, Jim Camblos had arranged to be appointed JLM's 'public defender' in order to represent JLM in all charges/indictments and to be able to be paid by the state, since the family has limited resources.

I thought Charlottesville attorney, JM's defense atty, Jim Camblos had arranged to be appointed JLM's 'public defender' in order to represent JLM in all charges/indictments and to be able to be paid by the state, since the family has limited resources.

I found this tweet. (also I apologize for posting in the wrong thread, it's early in AZ, oops)

Jeff Goldberg @jgoldbergABC7 · 1h 1 hour ago

C'ville attorney Jim Camblos will be co-counsel in case. #JesseMatthew asked judge if Camblos could be sole attorney but judge said no.

https://twitter.com/jgoldbergABC7/status/528167293872635904

I think, knowing what we know about him, it would be negligent for his attorney to NOT request a psychiatric evaluation. It doesn't necessarily mean his mental state will be a defense. And I personally think that anyone with the mental capacity to commit these crimes and successfully cover them up, in some cases for years, will undoubtedly be deemed competent to stand trial and doesn't have a real chance for an insanity plea to work. (Not to mention his mental awareness to flee and get all the way to Texas.)

I agree, I think he does need a psych eval. And I even think it would be prudent for the defense to request one as well. That way when he's convicted, he can't use the fact that he wasn't thoroughly evaluated as an excuse for an appeal.

I certainly do think he had serious issues. But even if they determined him legally insane....in order for the insanity plea to work, he can't just be crazy, he has to be proven to be crazy in a very specific way that she's he did not have an awareness that his crimes where wrong, or illegal. So I'm with you, I doubt they'll prove that here.

If we were to go to JLM's apartment and apartments and dorm rooms of many young people, we would find things that are conducive to violent sexual encounters.

Rap music, *advertiser censored*, near *advertiser censored*, violent gory computer games, even TV with mainstream programming, such as CSI, tends to desensitize a person to violence and human bodies in all states of destruction and decomposition. I've even seen positive scripts that seem to approve S M. There are websites that seem to try to normalize many paraphilias including hematomania.

We are living in a world where media is assisting in the psychological conditioning and fantasies of violent offenders.

All this, coupled with the inner rage created by dysfunctional families, parents in prison who abuse, are addicted, creates a perfect storm of increased violence in our culture.

Therefore we are seeing rape, date rape and date violence becoming all too common - and not only on college campuses.

Bundy and most other rape/murder/torture offenders have testified they started out with media with sexual content that grew increasingly violent.

I agree, I think he does need a psych eval. And I even think it would be prudent for the defense to request one as well. That way when he's convicted, he can't use the fact that he wasn't thoroughly evaluated as an excuse for an appeal.

I certainly do think he had serious issues. But even if they determined him legally insane....in order for the insanity plea to work, he can't just be crazy, he has to be proven to be crazy in a very specific way that she's he did not have an awareness that his crimes where wrong, or illegal. So I'm with you, I doubt they'll prove that here.

Virginia laws are very stringent. Dr. Jeffrey Fracher said only one in 100 violent offenders pass the standards for insanity.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/h...cle_8c9d7011-a5ef-5841-92c9-d9ff49b43aaa.html

If we were to go to JLM's apartment and apartments and dorm rooms of many young people, we would find things that are conducive to violent sexual encounters.

Rap music, *advertiser censored*, near *advertiser censored*, violent gory computer games, even TV with mainstream programming, such as CSI, tends to desensitize a person to violence and human bodies in all states of destruction and decomposition. I've even seen positive scripts that seem to approve S M. There are websites that seem to try to normalize many paraphilias including hematomania.

We are living in a world where media is assisting in the psychological conditioning and fantasies of violent offenders.

All this, coupled with the inner rage created by dysfunctional families, parents in prison who abuse, are addicted, creates a perfect storm of increased violence in our culture.

Therefore we are seeing rape, date rape and date violence becoming all too common - and not only on college campuses.

Bundy and most other rape/murder/torture offenders have testified they started out with media with sexual content that grew increasingly violent.

Yes, yes, and yes!!! But don't breastfeed your baby while seated on an airplane. That's indecent.

Out culture has gotten so backwards and twisted. :(

This is a vey enlightening report about sex trafficing in Virginia

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/v...cle_957be9d8-ff8c-5bed-a3b8-c90ef7a05065.html

The locaton of C'ville between N,S, E USA, the expanse of land and tree, the cost of living, and my favorate reason is that they know eachother due to shared interests.

How does the sex trafficing become a priority issue in the US if it there isn't an existig and lucrative network to make it a primary issue. C'ville can be one of many points of transition for all kinds of traffic. It doesn't need to travel through the nicely renovated Mall areas but just trickle off of 64 and 29. On the other hand, it can be the person in line with what looks like her boy friend or foreigner too much afraid to speak out.

In one sense of the spectrum of sex crime, JLM's actions could be viewed as an overdose, within an existing subculture of activity.

This is a vey enlightening report about sex trafficing in Virginia

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/v...cle_957be9d8-ff8c-5bed-a3b8-c90ef7a05065.html

The locaton of C'ville between N,S, E USA, the expanse of land and tree, the cost of living, and my favorate reason is that they know eachother due to shared interests.

How does the sex trafficing become a priority issue in the US if it there isn't an existig and lucrative network to make it a primary issue. C'ville can be one of many points of transition for all kinds of traffic. It doesn't need to travel through the nicely renovated Mall areas but just trickle off of 64 and 29. On the other hand, it can be the person in line with what looks like her boy friend or foreigner too much afraid to speak out.

In one sense of the spectrum of sex crime, JLM's actions could be viewed as an overdose, within an existing subculture of activity.

How do you see this relating to what we know of HG, and MH? I don't think they were trying to traffic them.

While its interesting for sure, I'm not sure how I see it tying into these cases. I guess I could see that maybe JM was involved in some illegal activity like such....but I don't see how that illegal activity would be why MH and HG ended up dead. In other words though I can see JM involved in both, I don't see them being directly related to each other.

But that's just my take. I'm curious what's stirring in your head making these connections?

Lawyer for Jesse Matthew reported to have asked for a psychiatric evaluation. Is it possible that this defense could work given his capacity to hold jobs and evade police?

IMO, no.

Questions:

Does the Judge, the prosecution or the defense get to choose the psychologist/psychiatrist who does the evaluation?

Who pays for JLM's professional evaluations?

These can take a whole day or days and run upwards of several thousand dollars - plus the cost of expert witnesses.

Questions:

Does the Judge, the prosecution or the defense get to choose the psychologist/psychiatrist who does the evaluation?

These can take a whole day or days and run upwards of several thousand dollars - plus the cost of expert witnesses.

Many times, I have seen defense attorneys change their plea after they extended their existing plea for as long as they could for better positioning in the trial process. A lot of time can pass due to these changes in plea and challenges of the existing laws. If all else fails, they can change defense lawyers which further delays their case.

This is an example.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/1...ter-holmes-to-ask-to-change-plea-to-insanity/

These are some forms a trial may be delayed.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/continuances-criminal-cases.html

I believe the current defense is attempting to determine JLM's current condition to stand trial. Does he know why he is in jail and the circumstances of his trial ...etc.

It would be difficult to prove Insanity at the time of the rape in Fairfax. Unless he was recently released from a facility or had medical records to prove his condition at the time.

When looking at JLM I am considering

JLM is defined by what he is physically given and how he relates to his environment can change his brain and how he functions in that environment.

I have posted several comments relating to influence of inherited traits, influence of his family and early social environment, influence of his college environment, the transition from a structured environment to an independent adult environment.

Each one of the environments has a culture from which we learn and develop.

Between the ages of 20 to 32 JLM was exposed to an adult environment. These years are considered the key years where the brain makes final changes in character and behavior for the later adult years.

So what does the environment of C'ville have to do with the opportunities for JLM's behavior and interests to mature into how we see him today ? Where does JLM learn and develop his skill as we saw it on video ? What enabled JLM to become who is today ? How many know and condone the behaviors ? How many were watching over the years ? How many shared and assisted in little ways ?

I agree. That he reportedly took his victims out of public places and into secluded areas to commit his crimes, and when he lost control in public, he managed to get himself back under control and apologize to the man he injured and take him for medical care, speaks to the fact that he was not psychotic when he committed those crimes. People who are out of touch with reality to the point that they can't understand the difference between right and wrong don't try to hide what they're doing, IMO. At least, that's what we've seen in cases like the killing of Tim McLean or the Miami cannibal attack. So JLM may be found to not be sane, but I doubt he'll be found incompetent to stand trial.

How do you see this relating to what we know of HG, and MH? I don't think they were trying to traffic them.

While its interesting for sure, I'm not sure how I see it tying into these cases. I guess I could see that maybe JM was involved in some illegal activity like such....but I don't see how that illegal activity would be why MH and HG ended up dead. In other words though I can see JM involved in both, I don't see them being directly related to each other.

But that's just my take. I'm curious what's stirring in your head making these connections?

Thanks ThinkHard,

This article is interesting as it discusses how prostitution may influence the occurrence of rape.

http://prostitution.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000122

A quote from the article highlights my point.

Melissa Farley, PhD, Founding Director of the Prostitution Research and Education, in the Oct. 2004 journal Violence Against Women article "Bad for the Body, Bad for the Heart," wrote:

"Legal sex businesses provide locations where sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, and violence against women are perpetrated with impunity. State-sponsored prostitution endangers all women and children in that acts of sexual predation are normalized..."

The police submitted a warrant for arrest of JLM for an attempt to defile after inspecting his car and apartment. The presumption is that they found more then Hannah's DNA. Where did the suspected items come from ?

I also presume that any promoted product can lead a certain group to seek more intense experiences such as prostitution (or the sex trade). If JLM was experimenting, then it is possible the sex market was the training wheels before he went out on his own. Especially if he could not afford what was offered. Others familiar the sex market and with JLM could offer suggested products to help him subdue his victims.

I believe other contributors to the forum have noted about 4 other C'ville rapist before JLM came on to the scene. How did they influence him. Could the sex trade market been the training wheels for them ?

That's all IMO

Questions:

The state would pay for an evaluation if the judge orders one. The defense can at their own expense provide evaluation from their expert witnesses.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-175

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-169.5

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-169.1

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-168

Thanks ThinkHard,

This article is interesting as it discusses how prostitution may influence the occurrence of rape.

http://prostitution.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000122

A quote from the article highlights my point.

Melissa Farley, PhD, Founding Director of the Prostitution Research and Education, in the Oct. 2004 journal Violence Against Women article "Bad for the Body, Bad for the Heart," wrote:

"Legal sex businesses provide locations where sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, and violence against women are perpetrated with impunity. State-sponsored prostitution endangers all women and children in that acts of sexual predation are normalized..."

The police submitted a warrant for arrest of JLM for an attempt to defile after inspecting his car and apartment. The presumption is that they found more then Hannah's DNA. Where did the suspected items come from ?

I also presume that any promoted product can lead a certain group to seek more intense experiences such as prostitution (or the sex trade). If JLM was experimenting, then it is possible the sex market was the training wheels before he went out on his own. Especially if he could not afford what was offered. Others familiar the sex market and with JLM could offer suggested products to help him subdue his victims.

I believe other contributors to the forum have noted about 4 other C'ville rapist before JLM came on to the scene. How did they influence him. Could the sex trade market been the training wheels for them ?

That's all IMO

Thanks for the explanation! I can see a possible connection much clearer now.

Interesting of note, there was some talk on the Casandra Morton forum about how she may have had some connections to activities or occupations her parents wouldn't have wanted out in MSM, so part of the reason there is little in MSM is that they were trying to be respectful of the family. I don't know how much truth there is to that. She disappeared exactly 1 week before MH, and her skeleton was found on a mt, in lynchburg on property owned by Liberty U.

I've been wondering if in addition to having his ideal victim profile, he also had a "safe" victim profile...meaning ones that came with less risk...and targeted women JLM may have perceived as being women no one would miss. (Please don't think that's my belief, I think every victims life is equally as important as the next!....I was thinking of it through JM's view not my own...I just want to be clear...)

I have also wondered if some of JM's crimes have been related to some kind of organized crime....while others are solo missions he does for his own pleasure.

Prostitutes are commonly among serial killer victims for many reasons. . .easier to lure, reported missing later, few familial ties, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some prostitutes among JM's victims. Sexually motivated serial killers are trying to live out their dark fantasy, but their ideal victim may not be available. In which case, they will settle for someone who is.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the explanation! I can see a possible connection much clearer now.

Interesting of note, there was some talk on the Casandra Morton forum about how she may have had some connections to activities or occupations her parents wouldn't have wanted out in MSM, so part of the reason there is little in MSM is that they were trying to be respectful of the family. I don't know how much truth there is to that. She disappeared exactly 1 week before MH, and her skeleton was found on a mt, in lynchburg on property owned by Liberty U.

I've been wondering if in addition to having his ideal victim profile, he also had a "safe" victim profile...meaning ones that came with less risk...and targeted women JLM may have perceived as being women no one would miss. (Please don't think that's my belief, I think every victims life is equally as important as the next!....I was thinking of it through JM's view not my own...I just want to be clear...)

I have also wondered if some of JM's crimes have been related to some kind of organized crime....while others are solo missions he does for his own pleasure.

According to these stats there is a chance of some things happening earlier.

http://www.insideprison.com/city_cr...OTTE&stateUCR=VA&stateName=Virginia&county=no

"The research on convicted rapists has found several important motivational factors in the sexual aggression of males. Those motivational factors repeatedly implicated are having anger at women and having the need to control or dominate them.[31]

Factors increasing men's risk of committing rape include alcohol and other drug consumption, being more likely to consider victims responsible for their rape, being less knowledgeable about the impact of rape on victims, being impulsive and having antisocial tendencies, having an exaggerated sense of masculinity, having a low opinion on women, being a member of a criminal gang, having sexually aggressive friends, having been abused as a child and having been raised in a strongly patriarchal family."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_sexual_violence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!
Back