JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I scanned these links below, I can not help but to wonder ...

Juvenile crime rates were increasing in the 90's with the expectation they would surpass adult crime rates from mid to late
1990's. Were is Jesse in the Stats. for Jv crime

http://www.coopercenter.org/sites/d...s/Virginia News Letter 1996 Vol. 72 No. 7.pdf

Here are other cases to show that JLM is not alone in committing rape or assault. Which of these will actually commit a greater crime later in their lives like Jesse ? What are the chances ?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2001-10-12/83288/

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/ofhs/prevention/dsvp/varapelaws/documents/2009/pdfs/statrape.pdf

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headli...ape-after-Craigslist-Encounter-224146691.html

http://www.wric.com/story/10486304/nc-craiglist-rape-suspect-has-virginia-conviction

http://www.nbc29.com/story/19355635...e-men-charged-with-abduction-rape-of-juvenile

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...shOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nx4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6523,4987012

http://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/barker-glenn.htm

http://www.wcnc.com/story/local/2014/10/31/11103686/

Perhaps these orgs have some general information but helpful links anyway.

http://saracville.org/

The predator will not give up the locations of his victims. This is a known behavior pattern of serial killers. IMO

NBC29 retweeted

Nikki Burdine ‏@NikkiBurdine · 7m7 minutes ago
PICTURE: #JesseMatthew and his attorney via video arraignment @wusa9

B1R0mkRIQAAoBrX.jpg

https://twitter.com/NikkiBurdine/status/528175277730693121

Well, now. From the expression on his face, it looks like reality has set on JM's sunset:scared:JMHO of course.

Responding to a comment from another thread since it belongs here:

Well that kind of depends on which school of psychological thought you were to look into. Behaviorist like Skinner, were very very much of the belief its nearly all nurture, and there is a strong lean toward it in psychoanalysis as well. Developmentalists however like Piaget and Erikson were more of the belief that we were strongly influenced by nature...they both described stages of development that lean this way. Though Erikkson also recognized with quite a bit of strength the influence nature had. Essentially saying each person goes through the same stages but can have one of two outcomes during that stage depending on the environmental factors at play...such as "trust vs mistrust" in infancy.

As our technology and thus medical knowledge has progressed, there has been a much stronger involvement of neuroscience within the field of psychology. Neuroscience is really fascinating...because it can show us how a neuro atypical brain responds to things...hugely valuable in terms of how we can develop better teaching methods to suit a neuro atypical brain....rather then essentially be trying to teach in a learning style that may be virtually impossible (neurobiologically) for their brain to learn. Obviously that's overly simplified.

The question of specific genes, is far too complex to get into here...but it is not always quite as simple as a single gene being affected...sometimes they see patterns in gene groups, or there is a partial part of a gene missing but not the whole gene. Also there can be more then one genetic deviations...in each set of parents...that can leads to a third and unpredictable gene mutation.

I think we will see that further research in genetics and neuroscience will enhance the scope with which we can see the influences of nature...but I do not think it will lesson the discussion btw which is stronger.

I do however believe that greater comprehension of how the brain itself is functioning in certain conditions, will enhance our ability for early and more effective intervention.

The development of psychopathology is a BOTH/AND situation, nature/biology + nurture/modeling + plus cultural/experiential influences.

Recently, research has shown that some brains are vulnerable to certain types of responses that are unhealthy or pathological, but nurture also influenced behavior and increased the ability to filter/moderate/prevent those responses (self-control).

See the article: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976 This scientist discovered his brain processed thoughts like the brains of psychopaths and had little brain activity in the area known for empathy and he had murderers in his family tree. Due to his environment and parental influences, he grew up with good values and a healthy conscience, self/other social awareness, and the ability to reflect before acting. Because he had parents who nurtured him and loved and supported him, he was able to grow to be a mature, productive citizen. He did see and acknowledge his own problematic behaviors and decided to try to modify those behaviors.
With Jesse Matthew, there was a different dynamic going on - there was divorce + violent abuse, alcoholism and poor modeling by his father in his childhood. Studies of Jesse's brain might show a vulnerable brain + possible brain damage due to sports/abuse. He had a mixed/split parental/peer/cultural influence - on one side a mother who was working hard, going to church and on the other side a father who was an alcoholic and engaged in violence. He had the church/school sports influence and on the other side people engaging in negative behaviors. These dissonant/opposite influences have a detrimental and destabilizing effect on human emotions/thought and behavior.

Despite all his confusion and cognitive dissonance, Jesse Matthew is still capable of controlling his behavior at times, and he does his evil deeds in secret, tries to cover up the evidence, so he's aware of the difference between right and wrong. Jesse Matthew just chooses/feels entitled to gratify his lust for sex and blood/violence and to vent his rage and hatred. He is responsible for these choices.

JMO

post # 83 in this thread How to Identify a Psychopath

Pay extreme attention to the person's treatment towards others. Psychopaths are generally prone to belittle, humiliate, mistreat, mock and even attack physically (or kill, in extreme cases) people who normally would bring no benefits to him/her in any way, such as subordinates, physically frail or lower-ranking people, children, elderly people and even animals - especially the latter ones.

BBM

Below is from Coy Barefoots article of JLM timeline and eyewitness statements. Pertinent info again BBM.

LJ Matthew demonstrated a troubling lack of respect for the physical boundaries of women and men— or perhaps even a deeper lack of understanding that those boundaries exist.

Unprovoked, he suddenly grabbed a man in the Blue Light Grill and wrenched him into a wrestling hold so forcefully that he pulled the man’s hamstring, leaving this man limping for days.

The development of psychopathology is a BOTH/AND situation, nature/biology + nurture/modeling + plus cultural/experiential influences.

JMO + psychology literature.

Wanted to add a note how culture influences emotions, thoughts and behaviors and may have influenced JLM.

Hard evidence in police and research statistics show that rape occurs at a higher rate in several cultural groups.

JLM was a member of one* of these groups - college athletes. (*actually, more than one, but you can research and identify the others).

Here is a study of sexual assaults among college athletes - http://www.ncava.org/statistics.html

Soon, JLM will be entering another US population where rape is prevalent: Prison.

post # 83 in this thread How to Identify a Psychopath

Pay extreme attention to the person's treatment towards others. Psychopaths are generally prone to belittle, humiliate, mistreat, mock and even attack physically (or kill, in extreme cases) people who normally would bring no benefits to him/her in any way, such as subordinates, physically frail or lower-ranking people, children, elderly people and even animals - especially the latter ones.

BBM

Below is from Coy Barefoots article of JLM timeline and eyewitness statements. Pertinent info again BBM.

LJ Matthew demonstrated a troubling lack of respect for the physical boundaries of women and men— or perhaps even a deeper lack of understanding that those boundaries exist.

Unprovoked, he suddenly grabbed a man in the Blue Light Grill and wrenched him into a wrestling hold so forcefully that he pulled the man’s hamstring, leaving this man limping for days.

Consider how this article portrays JLM from the vantage point of people that knew JLM in a more structured setting.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...cle_6bacebeb-68f5-542c-a52b-5ad91e1121f1.html
or
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/uva-kidnap-jesse-leroy-matthew_n_5929602.html

To perhaps highlight the situation in the bars that night and other nights prior, I believe this discussion at this link highlights some interesting points. You will need to go a little further in the middle of the article to get to the point describing JLM's behavior.

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2014/03/socially-awkward-isnt-an-excuse/

Here is a quote from the link to help you get to that point.

"Creepers and predators rely on other people insisting that their social awkwardness is a mistake because it gives them cover. When the “socially awkward” exception is in play, other people are less likely to call him out on his creepy behavior .2 It becomes a way of isolating somebody from potential allies and tricking others – people who might otherwise object to his bad behavior and assist his target – into being complicit in his actions. The Awkward Excemption teaches other people to tolerate, even expect creepy behavior… and to forgive it because hey, “he means well.” It gives the creeper cover and allows him to continue being part of the community; he’s not “Johnny the creepy predator”, he’s “Johnny the decent guy, a little weird sometimes but harmless.” "

and here is a good end to the article.

"Being awkward isn’t a permanent condition; it’s something you can overcome with education and practice. But getting a pass on creepy behavior doesn’t help you learn, and it’s not on other people to teach you. Being willing to own your mistakes – not to explain them away as not your fault, to make it about her failings or otherwise pretend it’s not a problem – and being able to do so with grace and sincerity is the real way you show that maybe you’re not a bad guy after all. You don’t insist that you “deserve” a second chance or the benefit of the doubt, you earn it."

I believe most would agree JLM had a social problem that people did not realize he could not deal with on his own. His mistakes did not result in enough learning opportunity. Perhaps his life experiences were excuses that created the barriers to change or perhaps too much protection by the people who cared for him. The problem did not go away and it gradually dominated him. He did bad things and many people suffered.

Wanted to add a note how culture influences emotions, thoughts and behaviors and may have influenced JLM.

Hard evidence in police and research statistics show that rape occurs at a higher rate in several cultural groups.

JLM was a member of one* of these groups - college athletes. (*actually, more than one, but you can research and identify the others).

Here is a study of sexual assaults among college athletes - http://www.ncava.org/statistics.html

Soon, JLM will be entering another US population where rape is prevalent: Prison.

Yes but hopefully on the receiving end!

This always comes up in discussions and I just find it so disturbing. Rape is never OK. not even against horrible people in prison.

So many young men in prison for non-violent crimes spend years brutalized by rape behind bars. As a society it's important that we not make light of rape in prison. It's become an accepted part of prison life because our society thinks its funny and in many cases we think if someone's in prison they deserve to get raped. That's just plain bad for our collective souls. JMO

This always comes up in discussions and I just find it so disturbing. Rape is never OK. not even against horrible people in prison.

So many young men in prison for non-violent crimes spend years brutalized by rape behind bars. As a society it's important that we not make light of rape in prison. It's become an accepted part of prison life because our society thinks its funny and in many cases we think if someone's in prison they deserve to get raped. That's just plain bad for our collective souls. JMO

Thanks for this. The fact that this is routinely accepted is monstrous. Allowing violent offenders to continue their reign of terror behind bars is not justice for anyone.

Besides which, at over 6' and 260 lbs, with a lengthy violent history of sexual assaults, JLM is much more likely to victimize others than to be victimized.

I was just pointing out that Jesse Matthew was part of several rape-prone cultures and that, ironically, his own choices and actions have consigned him to live the rest of his life in yet another rape culture.

I want to make sure I have this right; rape is bad and shouldn't happen except when someone deserves it?

No your right, I'm sorry, I do not think that at all! Not in the least.

Just a bad attempt at a joke and fatigue...:facepalm: please forgive me

No no no no I do not condone rape, not in any shape or form....I am so sorry!

As I study the similarities in so many victims, and look at what's known, I feel like I'm getting a clearer picture of what may have happened to him in his youth. And what I pictured, would break anyone's heart. No one should have to go through the things I suspect may have occurred to him as a boy. Even the thought made me see him as a broken and confused boy, for a few moments, over the monster he became.

I cannot reduce people to words like evil, because I think we are all far too complex. Nor can I wish harm to come to any living thing. I don't even kill bugs! I name them (there less scary with a name) and put them outside, everyone thinks I'm nuts!

So while I will not make excuses for his actions; because, no matter what happened in his past, he is still accountable for his choices today, I do not wish him harm either.

Wise wise words!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Wise wise words!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

To get us back on track to the purpose of the thread.

Can anyone share information about JLM and perhaps noted reasons a psych eval would be considered?

Does anyone know if his lawyer knows the family from either his father or from when JLM was youth?

From news interviews of JLM acquaintances,

we believe is not too bright academically, friend said his ability to grasp basic reading ? or something other than that.

he can be very sensitive to rejection (friend said he was declined by a date in High School and cried),

Perhaps there is a history of poor decision making, evaluations, etc the lawyer can bring up to justify a psych eval let alone what he had done.

Had a bit of anxiety or insecurity because ( his friend said his feelings were easily noted

To get us back on track to the purpose of the thread.

Can anyone share information about JLM and perhaps noted reasons a psych eval would be considered?

Does anyone know if his lawyer knows the family from either his father or from when JLM was youth?

From news interviews of JLM acquaintances,

we believe is not too bright academically, friend said his ability to grasp basic reading ? or something other than that.

he can be very sensitive to rejection (friend said he was declined by a date in High School and cried),

Perhaps there is a history of poor decision making, evaluations, etc the lawyer can bring up to justify a psych eval let alone what he had done.

Had a bit of anxiety or insecurity because ( his friend said his feelings were easily noted

What is Camplos requesting of the court? A competency evaluation or a mental health evaluation, or both? I believe most ANY judge would want him to have a competency evaluation to determine if he is competent to stand trial.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competency_evaluation_(law)

What is Camplos requesting of the court? A competency evaluation or a mental health evaluation, or both? I believe most ANY judge would want him to have a competency evaluation to determine if he is competent to stand trial.
We never got to hear the motion because the Judge would not allow it to be heard on the spot. Camplos said the public defender had a copy of the motion but the PD likely already new it would not be heard at sentencing.

We never got to hear the motion because the Judge would not allow it to be heard on the spot. Camplos said the public defender had a copy of the motion but the PD likely already new it would not be heard at sentencing.

I added a link to my post. No, we didn't hear the motion but I thought I read an article here over the weekend where the media was commenting and suggesting that the judge may not grant the defendant's motion. I can't recall what evaluation they were referring to in the article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3
Back