JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure...I'm digging pretty deep though and a clearer picture is emerging, and its definitely changed from my first impressions.

But I will say...In my opinion I DO think he has a learning disability, and I think its likely one that effects his sensory processing to the point it interferes with his interpretation of both social queues and the stored memories. I think he witnessed very bad things, that no child should ever have to go through, and because of his LD lacked the internal resources to ever make sense of that trauma.

However just because he has an LD and might have trouble reading....that does not mean he is not intelligent! I think he is highly intelligent! More so they we may be giving him credit for.

MOO. . .
I don't think this is about competency. JM is clearly competent. I believe Camplos wants him evaluated for that, but I think he is aiming for diminished capacity. That could take the death penalty off the table and Camplos would consider that a "win."

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

What is Camplos requesting of the court? A competency evaluation or a mental health evaluation, or both? I believe most ANY judge would want him to have a competency evaluation to determine if he is competent to stand trial.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competency_evaluation_(law)

I thought it was a psych evaluation. He was certainly competent enough to dispose of her body (if guilty) and then drive to Galveston, TX on his own so I'd think he could assist with his own defense.

I thought it was a psych evaluation. He was certainly competent enough to dispose of her body (if guilty) and then drive to Galveston, TX on his own so I'd think he could assist with his own defense.

"psych evaluation" is a rather broad term.

In the raw video- he states he wants JM evaluated but there are no other specifics as to what exactly he was looking for. I also read an article that speculated on the testing as well but will have to go back to check into it.

Camplos is planning the "Lennie" defense IMHO. JM is guilty in his actions, but was only reckless in his intent because of diminished capacity. I don't buy it, but a jury might.

ETA-
The diminished capacity plea is based in the belief that certain people, because of mental impairment or disease, are simply incapable of reaching the mental state required to commit a particular crime. In the example of murder and manslaughter, a diminished capacity defense contends that a certain defendant is incapable of intending to cause a death, and therefore must have at most caused such a death recklessly. Thus, a successful plea of diminished capacity in a murder trial would likely result in the charge being reduced to manslaughter.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/diminished_capacity

Matthew's attorney requests psychiatric evaluation for client
Request for evaluation deferred until jury appointments made
by Catherine Griesedieck and Nicholas Western | Nov 03 2014 | 1 hour ago
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/articl...ey-requests-psychiatric-evaluation-for-client

"If Matthew is found “incompetent to stand trial,” he will be considered unable to assist in his own defense or make the decisions necessary for his defense, said University Law Prof. Richard J. Bonnie, who specializes in psychiatry and public policy...
“There has been nothing in the press accounts of this case that have yet indicated any concern about serious mental illness,” Bonnie said.

Camplos is planning the "Lennie" defense IMHO. JM is guilty in his actions, but was only reckless in his intent because of diminished capacity. I don't buy it, but a jury might.

ETA-
The diminished capacity plea is based in the belief that certain people, because of mental impairment or disease, are simply incapable of reaching the mental state required to commit a particular crime. In the example of murder and manslaughter, a diminished capacity defense contends that a certain defendant is incapable of intending to cause a death, and therefore must have at most caused such a death recklessly. Thus, a successful plea of diminished capacity in a murder trial would likely result in the charge being reduced to manslaughter.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/diminished_capacity

Thanks, I find it very difficult to attempt to prove he was not mentally competent in 2005. Since he committed his crime recently, I would expect that the evaluation is fitness for the trail. I suppose if they can look at his current mental state, then they could challenge his mental state in 2005. He might have medical records at the time ?

I wonder what he is doing now ? If he is not being evaluated ... then what are they doing with him now ?

JM while likely stupid knows exactly what he was doing to these girls

JM while likely stupid knows exactly what he was doing to these girls

ITA!

I have worked most of my adult life with mentally disabled teenagers. I think diminished capacity wouldn't come into play until you get down to a less than 80 IQ, maybe lower. I don't believe for a second that JM is so mentally disabled that he doesn't understand that his actions would cause the death of his victims. I think he thoroughly INTENDED to cause their death.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/articl...ey-requests-psychiatric-evaluation-for-client

"If Matthew is found “incompetent to stand trial,” he will be considered unable to assist in his own defense or make the decisions necessary for his defense, said University Law Prof. Richard J. Bonnie, who specializes in psychiatry and public policy...
“There has been nothing in the press accounts of this case that have yet indicated any concern about serious mental illness,” Bonnie said.

JLM proved his ability for self-advocacy when he spoke up last week, using a complex sentence asking for the Judge to appoint Camblos as his attorney. He also spoke up to the Texas Judge about his various discomforts while incarcerated in Galveston. Jesse Matthew had the capacity to flee and navigate across half the USA, to borrow a phone to call a relative in that relative's home town, and hide on a deserted peninsula when he was wanted for questioning about the abduction of Hannah Graham. He held down a couple of jobs and managed to borrow money from his employers. He dealt with numerous traffic offenses. He took an attorney to the hospital after apologizing and got counsel to reduce the charges. All that doesn't look good for a diminished capacity defense.

I'm not sure...I'm digging pretty deep though and a clearer picture is emerging, and its definitely changed from my first impressions.

But I will say...In my opinion I DO think he has a learning disability, and I think its likely one that effects his sensory processing to the point it interferes with his interpretation of both social queues and the stored memories. I think he witnessed very bad things, that no child should ever have to go through, and because of his LD lacked the internal resources to ever make sense of that trauma.

However just because he has an LD and might have trouble reading....that does not mean he is not intelligent! I think he is highly intelligent! More so they we may be giving him credit for.

The book, Seven Kinds of Smart comes to mind. Throughout history, people have outsmarted, out-talked, as well as victimized and harmed others with superior education, despite not being able to read or write or understand physics and calculus. The abductions of Hannah Graham and Morgan Harrington, two academic achievers, illustrate this point. It is also likely the woman JLM attacked in Fairfax was also better educated and more intellectually gifted than JLM. Yet, he was able to use his own abilities, employ learned tactics and skills to successfully assault each of them.

Thanks, I find it very difficult to attempt to prove he was not mentally competent in 2005. Since he committed his crime recently, I would expect that the evaluation is fitness for the trail. I suppose if they can look at his current mental state, then they could challenge his mental state in 2005. He might have medical records at the time ?

I wonder what he is doing now ? If he is not being evaluated ... then what are they doing with him now ?

Evaluation of sanity at the time of offense (Virginia):
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-169.5

ITA!

I have worked most of my adult life with mentally disabled teenagers. I think diminished capacity wouldn't come into play until you get down to a less than 80 IQ, maybe lower. I don't believe for a second that JM is so mentally disabled that he doesn't understand that his actions would cause the death of his victims. I think he thoroughly INTENDED to cause their death.

He has proven over and over that he is able to learn from his own mistakes. This has been more than evident in the ways he has changed his MO over time. To me this also proves that he knew he would cause death in these situations of stalking and attacking. He is obviously able to put two and two together. Imo.

And as others have said, the fact that he tried to hide his activities shows that he knew they were wrong. Again imo.

This is a big ado about nothing, imo.

Every defendant we have seen that is facing trial for a violent crime has been mentally evaluated beforehand to see if they are fit/competent to stand trial.

There is absolutely no way this man will be deemed as having diminished capacity and Camplos knows that already. He just dropped that little tidbit of info in court to get the media to publish that JM MAY BE mentally ill. He picked the wrong defendant for its never going to fly.

There is insurmountable evidence that doesn't support that assumption. And he already knows there is no way any one can go back to 2005 and assess him at that time. Its just not doable and it will not stand up in court even if he tries. If JM is evaluated at a later date by a defense expert the state will also have a right to have him evaluated by their expert. The Court can also have a court appointed expert to evaluate him as well. He is evil and rotten to the core but he isn't mentally ill nor has he been all of these years he played cat and mouse with LE.

When I was appointed guardian by the Court of my father who suffered from dementia he had to be evaluated by two court appointed psychiatrists. Even though he had had the first stages of dementia for 2-3 years the doctors could only deem him incompetent from the time/date they evaluated and diagnosed him. The same will apply to JM. IMO

The only way he could be ruled in competent to stand trial is if his IQ is lower than 70 and his history refutes that. Since JM has navigated quite nicely under the radar for almost a decade it shows he does not suffer from diminished capacity or mental illness.

Now of course he easily could be diagnosed as being a sociopath or having a BLPD but that is not considered diminished capacity or even mentally illness by judicial standards. The standard is quite simple: Was he able to distinguish right from wrong when he did the violent acts and is he able to assist in his trial? Of course he did and can and that is why he went to great lengths to cover up his crimes. And he has shown he is perfectly able to understand what is happening in his court proceeding.

So I think Camplos is a very tricky man who wanted everyone (especially the potential jurors) to think there may be something mentally wrong with his client when he already knows that isn't even going to get off the ground.

I did like the fact that the Judge shut him down PDQ. (Judge Sherry Stephens I wish you were listening) The Judge knew he was already grandstanding and wanted none of it. This lawyer of all lawyers knows how the court procedures work and he knew this wasn't the place to even interject what he did but he also knew the media was there and used it to his advantage. But I have already read articles that stated Camplos plays fast and loose when it comes to the rules of law.......so much so that it cost him from being reelected as a Prosecutor.

Again, imo, this is a bunch of hooey put out by a defense attorney. He is just another typical serial rapists and murderer who knew exactly what he was doing and relished in it each and every time. He finally made a mistake.. like most of them eventually do, but it had nothing to do with his mental capabilities, and everything to do with him becoming arrogant, and foolishly thinking he was 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

Spot ON, Oceanblueeyes! Well said! BRAVO!!

Thanks for cutting through all the bovine scat and calling him what he is. I always appreciate someone who doesn't give evil a bright light to shine under.

This is a big ado about nothing, imo. ---

Agree,

The act is evil and the person flawed. It can be difficult to forgive.

While attempting to learn more about Serial Rapist/Murders I found this book that may be of interest to our fellow sleuths.

Serial Murder and the Physchology of Violent Crimes

Editor
Richard N. Kocsis, PhDForensic Psychologist in Private PracticeSydney, Australia

ISBN: 978-1-58829-685-6 e-ISBN: 978-1-59745-578-7

A quote from the Preface:

"Beyond the origins and impact of serial violent crimes, the investigation and apprehension of individuals who perpetrate these crimes pose one of the greatest challenges for modern-day law enforcement even in cases where direct eye witnesses to the crime exist. In many circumstances, the typical criminological factors that characterize many of the more common manifestations of murder (e.g., the existence of some prior knowledge of or acquaintance between the victim and the offender) are not present. The absence of these factors renders criminal investigations surprisingly difficult, as the motivational dynamics and purpose for the crime are internalized in the offender’s own mind and are therefore not necessarily discernible from the evident situational factors of the crime.

Serial Murder and the Psychology of Violent Crimes also examines the inherent danger of inaccurately analyzing information that exists about a violent crime and how this may adversely impact upon a criminal investigation.

It is a good read IMO let me know what you find within the pages and how it relates to JLM

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielfromlb
Back