JLM: What Do We Know About Him? - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Paulap, since you're not adverse to questions;was he a schoolmate, or did you play sports or fish with him? What were your thoughts when JM was annouced as a person of interest?Were you shocked or knowing him did you think it was possible for him to lead a double-life? Did you ever see him get angry? One thing I've noticed from his first photos ,is his stare 'right thru you' look; has he always done this? When you hung out ,did you ever feel he was 'troubled' or angry about things ? I'm just trying to see him and how people who knew him felt.

Paulap, since you're not adverse to questions;was he a schoolmate, or did you play sports or fish with him? What were your thoughts when JM was annouced as a person of interest?Were you shocked or knowing him did you think it was possible for him to lead a double-life? Did you ever see him get angry? One thing I've noticed from his first photos ,is his stare 'right thru you' look; has he always done this? When you hung out ,did you ever feel he was 'troubled' or angry about things ? I'm just trying to see him and how people who knew him felt.

i will try to respond without overstepping bounds of disclosure here...
i am older than lj and know him through my children and my brother's children
first of all, yes, i was absolutely astounded when i saw lj's picture on dailymail online on sept 20 as a person of interest in this case... i knew him instantly from those pictures and was sure there had to be a mistake
i do remember that lj loved to wrestle anyone who would come around... and oftentimes had to reined in because he got very rough - even with the girls
he was helpful and helped me move on occasion
i never saw him angry and honestly excepting the dna, i would never have thought that the sketch that hung from every bathroom stall at the univ where i employed (just after the dna link was discovered between the nova assault and mh) was lj... never even considered that as a possibility
he's been on vacations and to family outings and colleges with family and i never thought this was even possible...
it is surreal
i will say that when hannah graham went missing, it seemed to me instantly that this had to be the same person as with mh... it was just too similar

I am also in agreement with you, Meena's Mom. When I first saw" sketch" I thought--well that could be our Building Maintenace Manager. Then when the dead locks appeared I thought it could be any one of 5 men working on placing new electrical lines on our street. They all had dreadlocks and were big guys.
It is so easy for one to be influenced once a subject is apprehended.

When I first saw Jesse Matthews I never connected him to Morgan Harrington--what just because he was an African American male and it was in Virginia?
.....But once they placed his photo next to the "sketch" picture from the Fairfax/ Harrington connection, well suddenly , yea, he was the same guy--even with the dread locks.

Don't get me wrong, I know JM is a rapist and possibly a prolific murderer of women. I am just saying I am not so sure before he was placed next to the composite and was known to be a rapist in Fairfax and connected to Morgan by DNA. I would have thought he was our maintenance man--who by the way is a "really nice average guy" ...or one of the many Public Service guys laying new lines in front of our home--all seemed ...again...very average, nice men.

Yes it is very unsettling to think AVERAGE men are serial murderers and rapists, but by now we all should know better.

Does anyone know how long it took JM to grow those dreads! Wonder if it was sometime between the "Sketch" from Fairfax and MH. and wonder if he laid low during that period?

His friends would kid him about the likeness both when it first came up and after the DNA match to Morgan Harrington's case

Paulap,

Thank you for joining us and helping us understand him as you came to see him for what he is. Very brave of you.

i will try to respond without overstepping bounds of disclosure here...
i am older than lj and know him through my children and my brother's children
first of all, yes, i was absolutely astounded when i saw lj's picture on dailymail online on sept 20 as a person of interest in this case... i knew him instantly from those pictures and was sure there had to be a mistake
i do remember that lj loved to wrestle anyone who would come around... and oftentimes had to reined in because he got very rough - even with the girls
he was helpful and helped me move on occasion
i never saw him angry and honestly excepting the dna, i would never have thought that the sketch that hung from every bathroom stall at the univ where i employed (just after the dna link was discovered between the nova assault and mh) was lj... never even considered that as a possibility
he's been on vacations and to family outings and colleges with family and i never thought this was even possible...
it is surreal
i will say that when hannah graham went missing, it seemed to me instantly that this had to be the same person as with mh... it was just too similar

Thanks for your insight,I think all of us wonder ,how he could have walked among people for years with no one able to 'connect the dots' of his true nature.It's
always the questions;how,when ,why and how many,we may never get the answers. It seems his physical side was hard for him to 'rein in';I remember someone saying his coach had to actually tell him to stop,when wrestling a match. Did you ever see him dating or with a girlfriend? I wonder if he was able control himself when
women were around; we have read, he acted inappropriately the night HG went missing around other women. Do you think he had a normal childhood? like 2 parents who worked and cared for him;I know they divorced when he was older. Again where did they miss that something wasn't normal with him?

I feel compelled to say this to Paulap ,friends and family. JM made some really awful choices as an adult, but I personally want you to know that if we are shocked at his deeds;can you even imagine the pain and humiliation of his family and friends? They are as much victims of JM's; as the families of all the missing. They are going to be subjected to a life of shame and they were innocent as the women he abducted. People always want to point a finger but they weren't aware anymore than any of us;what JM had done. I pray that his family can heal from his treachery and know as parents ,they couldn't have changed him. If he had been arrested for the rape at LU and DNA been taken;we wouldn't be here today;but hindsight hopefully will change what history doesn't. When all assaults are treated by LE ,maybe we won't have another crime such as this.

Thank you. I believe you are correct, plus the fact that JLM's attempt to murder was during the commission of a felony, in this case rape, which qualifies it as capital.

Capital murder is one in which you can be given the death penalty. Not all felonies are Capital, but murder is in those states that have adopted the death penalty. He is being charged with attempted Capital murder, among other things, because Va has the death penalty for murder. If he had committed an attempt to murder in a non-death penalty state, it would just be attempted murder. Also note, federal charges also can result in the death penalty. IMO and experience. Hope this helps TP clarify.

Capital murder is one in which you can be given the death penalty. Not all felonies are Capital, but murder is in those states that have adopted the death penalty. He is being charged with attempted Capital murder, among other things, because Va has the death penalty for murder. If he had committed an attempt to murder in a non-death penalty state, it would just be attempted murder. Also note, federal charges also can result in the death penalty. IMO and experience. Hope this helps TP clarify.

Thank you so much. Does that mean that in Virginia ALL murders are referred capital?

Thread's temporarily closed. Take a break, everyone.

I will open the thread now, but take this as a FINAL WARNING. The next posters to engage in the petty arguing which has been taking place on this thread will receive a lengthy TIME OUT. Learn to alert (or pm a mod) and keep scrolling.

MOD NOTE: When a series of asterisks appears in a link, that's an indication the site is banned on WS.

Thanks.

Thanks for your insight,I think all of us wonder ,how he could have walked among people for years with no one able to 'connect the dots' of his true nature.It's
always the questions;how,when ,why and how many,we may never get the answers. It seems his physical side was hard for him to 'rein in';I remember someone saying his coach had to actually tell him to stop,when wrestling a match. Did you ever see him dating or with a girlfriend? I wonder if he was able control himself when
women were around; we have read, he acted inappropriately the night HG went missing around other women. Do you think he had a normal childhood? like 2 parents who worked and cared for him;I know they divorced when he was older. Again where did they miss that something wasn't normal with him?

i don't know how to answer this without again overstepping rules here - suffice it to say, (IMO) that his childhood wasn't what i would wish on my children
though a lot of kids have a less than pleasant upbringing... and do just fine
it's very sad and confusing to see him in court now shackled and accused and likely guilty of these horrendous crimes!

i don't know how to answer this without again overstepping rules here - suffice it to say, (IMO) that his childhood wasn't what i would wish on my children
it's very sad and confusing to see him in court now shackled and accused and likely guilty of these horrendous crimes!

He betrayed the kindnesses you and your family showed him, but that doesn't reflect in any way badly on you, certainly not you Paulap. I so appreciate that you're taking the time and having the courage to say what you feel and share what you know. Thank you.

Paulap, when was the last time you saw Jessie prior to Hannah's abduction? Did he seem any different than he did on previous occasions?

Paulap thanks for your honesty,I feel your pain,so I'll just say thank you

Wow, really interesting!
They may have kept him employed in order to guarantee he had income to pay them.
I can't imagine what these are for. VERY interesting.

I read that the suits were related to medical costs from a medical problem he had when he was uninsured. Given who sued him, I would guess that was correct. Nine times could all be related to the same issue -- and sometimes a hospital will charge a "facilities fee" and a "physician fee" for the same visit, plus, you can end up visiting different units (e.g., radiology for an MRI or an x-ray), surgery, etc. etc., and conceivably be charged for physician services and facility services separately for each, so it is conceivable that many of those were wracked up within a single day or a couple days. I haven't looked carefully at all of the dates, but I do know that you can wrack up an incredibly alarming set of charges if you have a medical problem from having dealt with lots of claims relating to a family member's illness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3
Back