Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in one of the motion hearings KN and JM did a little dance around why the tire-slashing didn't come up until cross, and I thought it was interesting. There's plenty of discussion around Travis' "having a stalker."

I'm not an attorney, but following this case just leads my mind down all kinds of rabbit trails. So:

In State v Klepas, 40 P.3rd 139 they cite Walton v Arizona, 497 U.S. 639 where the court defined "especially cruel" to include if the victim suffered mental anguish because of his uncertainty of his ultimate fate. In that case the victim was shot in the head then left to expire in the desert. Evidence showed he had been revived and stumbled around for some time before dying. Gun firsters might like to read that one.

From there it follows up to State v Spry 973 P.2nd 783 where stalking was found to be insufficiently delineated, which lead to the Kansas legislature taking up the matter so that:

" In response to our decision in Spry, the legislature passed L.1999, ch. 138, sec. 1 (H.B.2440), which amended K.S.A. 21-4636(f) by adding the following language:

"A finding that the victim was aware of such victim's fate or had conscious pain and suffering as a result of the physical trauma that resulted in the victim's death is not necessary to find that the manner in which the defendant killed the victim was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. In making a determination that the crime was committed in an especially heinous, atrocious or cruel manner, any of the following conduct by the defendant may be considered sufficient:

(1) Prior stalking of or criminal threats to the victim;

* * * "
And finally a second appeal as regarding statutory language in State v Kleypas, 147 P.3rd 1058 where the death sentence was ultimately upheld.

Arizona doesn't have such specific language, but I can't help but wonder if this case might be following in the Kansas' case footprints?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Will the judge allow the use of the questions Juror No. 5 may have already placed in the basket for ALV or will they even be able to determine which questions are hers?

They have no way of knowing which ones are hers.

I watched a small clip of Jodi's parents interrogation video on HLN today. In the clip Jodi's own Dad calls her strange, and her Mother says she has mental issues, and her friends have called her in the night saying Jodi needs help. I would imagine this is important evidence for the prosecutions case, so why has it not been presented in court? Is there a possibility of it coming up or being presented?

Sadly, the court will probably rule that most of that is more prejudicial than probative. Generally, courts do not use lay opinion statements to prove someone committed a crime. So to prove murder, a statement from a friend that, "I always knew he was capable of murder.", isn't really probative. It doesn't prove anything but it can bias a jury so such statents are left out.

However, evidence that contradicts what the expert said, like a statement from Jodi's mom that she was jealous, that could come in maybe. I think the stalking evidence could possibly come in too to refute the domestic abuse victim claims. :please:

They have no way of knowing which ones are hers.

I've heard the judge tell the jurors she will be reading the questions in order they were asked. Given that, isn't it likely that someone on the defense team or even JA herself, are noting which jurors are placing questions in the basket, and in what order? It would seem a logical strategy?
Thx!

I've heard the judge tell the jurors she will be reading the questions in order they were asked. Given that, isn't it likely that someone on the defense team or even JA herself, are noting which jurors are placing questions in the basket, and in what order? It would seem a logical strategy?
Thx!

The court is not going to allow the defense team to determine which questions to omit based on their statement that they somehow watched and counts and know which ones are juror 5's.

If one of the lawyers has already spoken to how on God's green earth this DV expert has been allowed to testify to all of this heresay, can you please share with me the link to it?
Thx!

Thx!

I've thought of doing this before, but it always seems like they sneak them in when you're not looking. :) But this could, in theory, be done. The defense team would then have to take into account the ones that are not asked, of course (due to irrelevance, etc.). They could use handwriting similarities in the notes as a double-check that their list is correct.

If one of the lawyers has already spoken to how on God's green earth this DV expert has been allowed to testify to all of this heresay, can you please share with me the link to it?
Thx!

We have answered this one a few times. Experts can rely on hearsay, and can generally describe what they relied on.

The court is not going to allow the defense team to determine which questions to omit based on their statement that they somehow watched and counts and know which ones are juror 5's.

I see. So it is similar to the honor system?
I am just saying, if i were even a spectator in this courtroom, I would be taking those "notes"!

Since this Alice said that there was no jealousy on arias part...couldn't that be used to to bring in all of the stalking issues?

If AVL is still ill tomorrow, can the prosecution bring in some of their rebuttal witnesses? I have seen this done in other trials.
Thx

I noticed in one of the motion hearings KN and JM did a little dance around why the tire-slashing didn't come up until cross, and I thought it was interesting. There's plenty of discussion around Travis' "having a stalker."

I'm not an attorney, but following this case just leads my mind down all kinds of rabbit trails. So:

In State v Klepas, 40 P.3rd 139 they cite Walton v Arizona, 497 U.S. 639 where the court defined "especially cruel" to include if the victim suffered mental anguish because of his uncertainty of his ultimate fate. In that case the victim was shot in the head then left to expire in the desert. Evidence showed he had been revived and stumbled around for some time before dying. Gun firsters might like to read that one.

From there it follows up to State v Spry 973 P.2nd 783 where stalking was found to be insufficiently delineated, which lead to the Kansas legislature taking up the matter so that:

" In response to our decision in Spry, the legislature passed L.1999, ch. 138, sec. 1 (H.B.2440), which amended K.S.A. 21-4636(f) by adding the following language:

"A finding that the victim was aware of such victim's fate or had conscious pain and suffering as a result of the physical trauma that resulted in the victim's death is not necessary to find that the manner in which the defendant killed the victim was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. In making a determination that the crime was committed in an especially heinous, atrocious or cruel manner, any of the following conduct by the defendant may be considered sufficient:

(1) Prior stalking of or criminal threats to the victim;

* * * "
And finally a second appeal as regarding statutory language in State v Kleypas, 147 P.3rd 1058 where the death sentence was ultimately upheld.

Arizona doesn't have such specific language, but I can't help but wonder if this case might be following in the Kansas' case footprints?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

You are correct that AZ does not have similar statutory language, and the case law also does not consider prior stalking/threats as part of the "cruelty" analysis. IMO the prosecution is not going down this path.

If AVL is still ill tomorrow, can the prosecution bring in some of their rebuttal witnesses? I have seen this done in other trials.
Thx

It could happen, but judges tend to avoid mixing phases if possible, especially in major criminal cases. One reason is because it can confuse the jury.

At times when JM is questioning someone and the witness tries to give a longer answer and JM cuts off the witness, the DT will object and say the witness hasn't finished their answer, and the judge sustains. Why is that a valid objection? Shouldn't the answer be limited by what the attorney asking wants to be answered? If not, why not just let the witness sit there without an attorney and expound on whatever they want? If he wants a yes or no (or "I can't say"), why allow extra verbiage?

The witness is entitled to finish his or her answer. If the question TRULY is a "yes or no" question, though, then the judge can limit the answer to "yes" or "no" and allow the other attorney to follow up in rebuttal with whatever the witness wanted to add.

Frankly, I think it looks bad when you try to cut off the witness or insist on a "yes or no" answer...it looks like you're trying to hide whatever explanation the witness is trying to give.

I watched a small clip of Jodi's parents interrogation video on HLN today. In the clip Jodi's own Dad calls her strange, and her Mother says she has mental issues, and her friends have called her in the night saying Jodi needs help. I would imagine this is important evidence for the prosecutions case, so why has it not been presented in court? Is there a possibility of it coming up or being presented?

I don't think it is important evidence or even relevant evidence. And, as gitana pointed out, even if it is somehow a tiny bit relevant ("probative" is the right word when you are talking about degrees of relevance), then it would be kicked out because it is more prejudicial (tending to make the jury think badly of Jodi for reasons that have nothing to do with what she did to Travis) than it is probative.

I was surprised that the Judge mentioned that the witness is sick. Couldn't this be prejudicial to the defense since this is their witness? When JA was sick the Judge didn't tell the jurors that she was sick.

You are correct that AZ does not have similar statutory language, and the case law also does not consider prior stalking/threats as part of the "cruelty" analysis. IMO the prosecution is not going down this path.
Well, rats! I think, but I guess there is a plan. Thanks for always being so responsive to us all. :)

I was surprised that the Judge mentioned that the witness is sick. Couldn't this be prejudicial to the defense since this is their witness? When JA was sick the Judge didn't tell the jurors that she was sick.

I don't see how it would be a problem. Jurors know that people get sick.

So if ALV is still ill tomorrow and has prior engagements for next week, and the defense has no further witnesses are we just on standby until she can return?

Also, if a expert witness leaves the employee of the DT either for voluntary or involuntary reasons (health) would a mistrial occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487