Jodi Arias Murder Trial - the defense continues it's case in chief-*Weekend* #89

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can believe it. I would vigorously disagree with any such ruling, but I know it happens. IIRC the defense even made a motion to refrain from calling Mr. Alexander the Victim because that would be too prejudicial. (It was denied IIRC) :what:

Can someone tell me who Sky Hughes is? I know she had TA's journal, and that part of it, but I have no clue who she is, how she fits in the story and knew the players before the murder. Thx

Sky and her husband were mentors of a sort to Travis, and very close to him. They had a second sense about Arias, and asked her not to return to their home, so there's no love lost between the Hughs and Arias.
Sky testified at one of the hearings, but neither have testified in court.

perhaps it's Spousal Assault Risk Assessment...
sorry to quote myself... want to add without editing...

yeah, i am almost certain SARA, in regard to Dr. DeMarte, is 'Spousal Assault Risk Assessment"

"The Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide (SARA) helps criminal justice professionals predict the likelihood of domestic violence. The tool is a quality-control checklist that determines the extent to which a professional has assessed risk factors of crucial predictive importance according to clinical and empirical literature."

http://www.mhs.com/product.aspx?gr=saf&prod=sara&id=overview

... i think it was used to determine if j.a. was an 'abuse' victim..

My MY what did she do to be so hated/disliked by his friends. dang

sorry to quote myself... want to add without editing...

yeah, i am almost certain SARA, in regard to Dr. DeMarte, is 'Spousal Assault Risk Assessment"

"The Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide (SARA) helps criminal justice professionals predict the likelihood of domestic violence. The tool is a quality-control checklist that determines the extent to which a professional has assessed risk factors of crucial predictive importance according to clinical and empirical literature."

... i think it was used to determine if j.a. was an 'abuse' victim..
So since the DT doesn't want it in, I'm guessing Arias didn't qualify as an abuse victim. What a surprise.

I'm still excited about the gas can business. I'm so relieved that Juan was not bluffing. Of all the evidence for premeditation, I thought the gas can issue was the weakest. How surprising that it may turn out to be the "smoking gun". Jodi caught telling a lie to the jury about an issue involving premeditation. This will NOT look good for her.

So am I. I, too, found it incredibly tedious at first but it really has turned into the coup de grace to her credibility.

BBM Although, the fact that Yreka was too small a city where everybody knew everyboy's business was NOT the reason she drove 100 miles to Redding to rent a car. She was surprised that she didn't know or recognize anybody when she moved back to Yreka. {rrrrrrrright}

This jury has heard hundreds of inconsistencies (lies) in her testimony.

In theory “the gun first” sequence remains a serious but not necessarily a winning contender.

It would be entirely rational for JA to maneuver TA into a confined space in order to complete the murder. Killing with a knife is very hard to accomplish. The best way is to thrust a knife into the heart’s left ventricle. Arrhythmia and exsanguination will follow but death takes some time. Slicing the carotid arteries will result in exsanguination but also after a time. The knife attack always invites defensive maneuvers which cannot be anticipated and is innately risky.

The safest and surest way to murder is by employing a well-directed gunshot wound to the head. Had JA shot TA using a better angle- ie direct through the temple at a horizontal pitch- she would be done. No muss; no fuss!!!!
[NOTE- I believe if JA had achieved killing TA with one gun shot to the head while he was in the shower her death trip might have been successful. HOWEVER, in this scenario the only linkage between JA to TA would have been the use of a 25 caliber gun. Police might have found out about the burglary and then pursued her alibi. Police might have discovered a missing 18 hours in her story detailing the Pasadena to SLC road trip]

TA’s gunshot to the head assumed a trajectory that was both downward and toward his left side. This trajectory is entirely consistent with a gun bearing JA standing beside the shower stall and shooting down and into TA upward gazing face. The first shot largely in front and involving the left face did not render TA immediately unconscious. So she could have fired again in which case the gun jammed.

That is the way I think it happened too. I think her ninja story about the gun being held to her head but jammed was true, but in reality it was pointed at Travis's head. Then she panicked because she thought he would live to tell and then got the knife. It could have been in her purse or backpack.
I don't really understand why it would matter so much as to what came first. It was still a cruel, calculating, vicious and slow death either way, since the first wound did not kill him immeadiately. He suffered no matter what came first.

Could it be this?

S.A.R.A. is a commonly used problem solving model in law enforcement. It stands for "Scanning, Analysis, Response, and Assessment."

Originally Posted by JusticeJunkie
: MOTION IN LIMINE TO PRECLUDE DR. DEMARTE’S CONCLUSIONS PURSUANT TO “SARA”

Who is Sara, or is that an acronym of a certain standard of law? What does it stand for?

Could it be this?

S.A.R.A. is a commonly used problem solving model in law enforcement. It stands for "Scanning, Analysis, Response, and Assessment."

BBM
http://www.housedems.ct.gov/dv/pubs/120610/OVA_Risk_Assessment_Example.pdf

Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide
The Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide (SARA) helps criminal justice professionals predict the likelihood of domestic violence. The tool is a quality-control checklist that determines the extent to which a professional has assessed risk factors of crucial predictive importance according to clinical and empirical literature.
With 20 items, the SARA assessment screens for risk factors in individuals suspected of or being treated for spousal or family-related assault. The SARA can help determine the degree to which an individual poses a threat to his spouse, children, family members, or other people involved.
The instrument can be used by members of various boards or tribunals (e.g., parole and review boards, professional ethics committees, etc.), lawyers, victims’ rights advocates, and prisoners’ rights advocates

Definitely agreed as to the "personal" aspect. Lots of anger there.

Someone else suggested that she brought two weapons to bolster her "two intruders" argument.

The intruder story seems to have been made up on the fly. I don't think it was something she thought about before the murder. She was confident that her cell phone alibi, her alibi with Burns, and the lack of any electronic evidence of her in Arizona would be enough to ensure her freedom. My belief is that she did not have much confidence in that toy-like gun and so she packed a knife just in case.

So, okay. Just a silly little question here (looking foward to the end of the trial and the DP verdict). Do you suppose the Defense Team will hold a press conference and claim there has been a grave miscarriage of justice here? Personally, I can't see Juan making any kind of "gloating" testimony after his successful conviction of Murder 1. I know this is pre-mature and silly ... but just kinda daydreaming this weekend.

Also ... on the serious side ... I'm sorry to impose on you "yet" again .. but could anyone direct me to the article written by a fellow Websleuther with respect to Dr. Gus ... I mean ... Samuels and his unethical problems.

I have been trying to find the testimony of Mimi Hall and Lisa Andrews .... I feel like such an idiot. I'm just bored and want to review some of the testimony ... I have been finding a lot, but can't seem to find the full testimony of both of those former girlfriends ...

btw ... such great posts by sooooooo many of you. I just can't keep up on the details and apparently my googleing skills leave something to be desired. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. Hugs!

So am I. I, too, found it incredibly tedious at first but it really has turned into the coup de grace to her credibility.

There's nothing she turned and said to the jury more forcefully than her, "I had TWO gas cans in SLC!!"

That is the way I think it happened too. I think her ninja story about the gun being held to her head but jammed was true, but in reality it was pointed at Travis's head. Then she panicked because she thought he would live to tell and then got the knife. It could have been in her purse or backpack.
I don't really understand why it would matter so much as to what came first. It was still a cruel, calculating, vicious and slow death either way, since the first wound did not kill him immeadiately. He suffered no matter what came first.
I won't explain this as well as others here already have, but IMO, since the stabbings came first, that would blow her entire story of remembering only the gun shot - since that came LAST, not first.
How could she remember taking the pics, loose the memories of the stabbing, then start to remember again when she shot him? Both events were necessarily stressful.
Doesn't work.

Thank you. I loved watching more of this clip and the discussion that followed with the attorneys. The moderator, forgot his name, hinted the courtroom with her testifying was like Judge Lance Ito's courtroom (OJ trial). Couldn't agree more. Judge Stephens should have reigned in the defense long ago.

He's Gregg Jarrett, formerly with Court TV.

Originally Posted by JusticeJunkie
: MOTION IN LIMINE TO PRECLUDE DR. DEMARTE’S CONCLUSIONS PURSUANT TO “SARA”

Who is Sara, or is that an acronym of a certain standard of law? What does it stand for?

Could it be this?

BBM
http://www.housedems.ct.gov/dv/pubs/120610/OVA_Risk_Assessment_Example.pdf

Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide
The Spousal Assault Risk Assessment Guide (SARA) helps criminal justice professionals predict the likelihood of domestic violence. The tool is a quality-control checklist that determines the extent to which a professional has assessed risk factors of crucial predictive importance according to clinical and empirical literature.
With 20 items, the SARA assessment screens for risk factors in individuals suspected of or being treated for spousal or family-related assault. The SARA can help determine the degree to which an individual poses a threat to his spouse, children, family members, or other people involved.
The instrument can be used by members of various boards or tribunals (e.g., parole and review boards, professional ethics committees, etc.), lawyers, victims’ rights advocates, and prisoners’ rights advocates

Disgusting. They allow some sleazeball to quote an irrelevant time magazine article and misuse the research on PTSD and reduced hippocampal (it's due to alcohol abuse not stress), but they object to this?

So since the DT doesn't want it in, I'm guessing Arias didn't qualify as an abuse victim. What a surprise.

And now we also know what was so important that her home had to be broken into with laptop stolen.

:seeya: For those who missed it :

NG's Mysteries -- Week 11 -- is coming on HLN at 1:00 pm -- in about 35 minutes.

This is the one about those crime scene photos there were some ?s about yesterday ...

Back to catching up ... whew, these threads move fast !

:seeya:

The other thing that argues for knife first is the placement of the stab wounds. They are ALL over him, chest, back, legs, back of the head, etc, suggesting a terrific struggle by him to get away from someone basically hacking away blindly. If he were already somewhat incapacitated by a gun shot to the head when she started the knife attack, I have trouble envisioning the need for that number and placement of knife wounds.

How many of the 20 do you think Arias met? Evidentially not enough to suit the DT.
Oops - lost the quote. This is in response to ctmom's excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacky
Let's see...there are 2 stories.
1. She was going on a camping /gold mine trip with a few guys she knew, and trusted...although she would be the only woman, so just for safety.

2. She had written suicide letters and sent them grandma-ma to be opened later. She certainly couldn't kill herself in Yreka. It was to small of a city, and everybody knew everybody's business, plus she didn't want to do that to her family. So she rented a car, bought the gun....and she was leaving town to do it BUT darn ~ she was arressted before she could kill herself.

So pick one, anyone you want. Because neither are true in my opinion.

This post was about the 2nd rental car and gun she legally bought. I know it's all lies, but these are two different stories she said on the stand about the 9mm gun she had, after killing TA. One story/lie was she bought it for safety and the other story/lie was to kill herself.

If she bought the gun to kill herself, why was it HIDDEN in the rental car?? Her mother asked about it and had to hunt down the rental, and no one had found it yet. So my questions, why hide a gun you're going to use on yourself soon anyway?? And hide it so well that even the car rental folks don't find it?? Lets not forget the knives hidden in her boxes of books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member