John Tavolta's son Jett dies at age 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A woman I worked with years ago had a son the same age as Jett, and the same thing happened to him. Well, almost, He had just finished paying a game of basketball, came home to take a bath, had a seizure and hit his head on the edge of the bathtub. Sadly, he died as well. She came home from a workshop, later than usual. Her kitchen ceiling tiles were on the floor. She went upstairs and found him. The tub overflowed and the bathroom was flooded. Sad thing was, had she gone to school that day, and not attended that workshop, she would have been home when he got home that afternoon.

My daughter had seizures up till she was 12, and every now and then, says she gets the auras that lead her to believe that she might have another, but thankfully, nothing yet. She also had difficulty with flashing lights. She could not be in the room where school pictures were taken because of the flashbulbs. Her seizures terrified me.

I don't recall reading this, but was this his first seizure? I do recall reading that he was not on meds...this is tragic..my heart aches for the family. He will be missed by many.

A woman I worked with years ago had a son the same age as Jett, and the same thing happened to him. Well, almost, He had just finished paying a game of basketball, came home to take a bath, had a seizure and hit his head on the edge of the bathtub. Sadly, he died as well. She came home from a workshop, later than usual. Her kitchen ceiling tiles were on the floor. She went upstairs and found him. The tub overflowed and the bathroom was flooded. Sad thing was, had she gone to school that day, and not attended that workshop, she would have been home when he got home that afternoon.

My daughter had seizures up till she was 12, and every now and then, says she gets the auras that lead her to believe that she might have another, but thankfully, nothing yet. She also had difficulty with flashing lights. She could not be in the room where school pictures were taken because of the flashbulbs. Her seizures terrified me.

I don't recall reading this, but was this his first seizure? I do recall reading that he was not on meds...this is tragic..my heart aches for the family. He will be missed by many.

Bold mine.

Auras ? Im trying to see if its similar to me. I havent had one for a couple of decades (seizure)
Terrified my mother too. Especially in the ambulance enroute to the childrens emergency part as they worked on me :( and her flying along in the ambulance next to me through all the red lights at astronomical speeds...
How old is your daughter now

Jbean I am very sorry about your son and so glad to hear that he is doing ok.
behind a car and having a seizure is very scarey.

Im no stranger to seizures I had them until I was about 12 and I was on meds

When I was 6 - I *died* in the ambulance on the way to the hospital...so i count myself lucky to be here. So I know a little bit about them........The constant EEG's in the childrens hospital all through my childhood. The scareyness of them, the fact of when I was younger (pre baby days!) and I went clubbing the strobe lights played havoc with my head ! the fact that when I drive the blinkering sun through the trees still bothers me to this day..and I have to be very careful not to look at it.

I was not Questioning Adnoids authority I was merely asking a question. I am happy to ask it in a pm ? Im sorry if I shouldnt have asked it here ? I didn't know it was an offensive Question

Oh I understnd what you mean my son has been epileptic since age 2. I know u didn't mean anything I was being sassy because I have been awake in ICU for 24 hours and I am pooped

Glad your son is ok Jbean...how scary!

My heart aches for the Travoltas.

Jane, she is 21 now so 9 years ago at xmas was her last seizure...Not sure what her auras were, just a feeling she would get...as son as she would tell me she was about to have a seizure, I could see her face change...then BAM...down she woud go. SHe had one in the pathology lab of the hospital, and as young and naive as I was, I could not understand why they could not do anything! After all, they had a friggin needle in her arm! It would have been a perfect time to find something! She was only 3 at the time, so I did not really understand what was going on...just figured that being blood was drawn while she went into a seizure, they would find all their answers!!!

JBean, hang in there hun, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family....stay strong...

OT - In my opinion, it wouldn't matter. I have a young cousin who has been on anti-seizure medicine for 2+ years now and he continues to have grand mal seizures regardless. In fact he had one yesterday that scared me out of my wits. Sometimes additional chemicals in the body are not a cure-all, sometimes they help - who's to say?

I wish the Travoltas strength and peace throughout this most difficult time.

Salem

My brother takes anti-seizure medication and hasn't had a seizure since he started taking the medicine. The medicine has also worked for my cousin. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it does for some.

well it seems the jury is still out as to whether the travoltas actually allowed their son to take anti-seizure medicine or not. it would seem pretty cruel to allow your kid to continue having seizures when meds might be able to stop or lessen it. but here is my question-- since service dogs are now being trained to detect seizure activity in people BEFORE they hit-- why did their son not have one of these dogs with him at all times?

This is terrible he was the same age as my son.
Healing Mojo and Prayers for the Travolta family.

My deepest sympathies go to the Travoltas. My heart aches for them.

I was diagnosed at 24 with epilepsy. Now at 42 I would be lost without the care shown by my husband and 2 daughters. I haven't taken medication for the last three years as after talks with my neurologist we decided that they were not helping me. I know we also have dogs here in the UK trained to warn their owners that a seizure is about to happen, I personally don't know an epileptic who has one, but they are wonderful. I have 2 dogs, never been trained, but sometimes they hover around me as if sensing a fit is about to happen. When I do have a fit, they refuse to leave me.

Jane, she is 21 now so 9 years ago at xmas was her last seizure...Not sure what her auras were, just a feeling she would get...as son as she would tell me she was about to have a seizure, I could see her face change...then BAM...down she woud go. SHe had one in the pathology lab of the hospital, and as young and naive as I was, I could not understand why they could not do anything! After all, they had a friggin needle in her arm! It would have been a perfect time to find something! She was only 3 at the time, so I did not really understand what was going on...just figured that being blood was drawn while she went into a seizure, they would find all their answers!!!

JBean, hang in there hun, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family....stay strong...

I'm lucky they just sort of stopped when I was about 12/13 that was the last one (for memory - my mum has passed and dad doesnt remember that stuff)

I wasmt diagnosed as an epileptic at any stage.

Has your daughter suffered any memory loss from seizures ?

Jbean I hope that your son gets well quick and you can get some rest

We can go ahead and discuss facts relevant to what happened. There will be no "those damned nutty Scientologists" any more than there will be any "those damned nutty Lutherans" or anything like that.

As you have responded to me - thats fine as if I would say that anyway!

But to make a statement along the lines of because of their beliefs jett didnt take anti epileptic / anti seizure meds would be allowed right ?

If someone finds that to be factual ?

What happens if it was their beliefs stopping them from giving him meds and this could have been prevented ?

In every other case on here people are spoken of what they ate , what they wore, how they acted , etc...
I just would like to know is the line drawn because this is a celeb ?

Just so you know I am not the type of person to make statements like that .
Im very careful how I place my words and what I say. Even if I dont like someone or something.

It's very possible that Jett was a high functioning autistic with kawasaki disease...(tho I dont know much about the kawasaki disease) my son is high functioning autistic and he is almost 17 and I do not monitor his every move...if he was entering the bathroom then going to bed...I wouldnt be checking on him either (especialy at this age lol) so i see nothing wrong with jett last being seen entering a restroom on thursday night and found on Friday...he was 16! probably already said his good nights was going to use the restroom then go to bed
i think some of you are tryng to make this into more then it really is.....it was Jetts time to go...it wouldnt have mattered if he was standing in the middle of a crowded room...God was ready for him to come home

We can go ahead and discuss facts relevant to what happened. There will be no "those damned nutty Scientologists" any more than there will be any "those damned nutty Lutherans" or anything like that.

Is "those damned nutty moderators" okay?

I think with a grand mal seizure there are ways to tell. And while it does sound shocking to think he wasn't found for so long, it could be that at his age he was like most teenagers; the caretaker may have assumed he was just doing his own thing, staying up late, sleeping late.

Perhaps the caretaker could have been more watchful but if he'd been seizure free for awhile they again might have just thought he had gone to bed late and was sleeping in.

It would be a devastating phone call to receive no matter what the exact circumstances, my heart goes out to the family.

I think we need a definition of "caretaker." I think this was the caretaker of the property and that he/she might have been there to clean the bathroom. I don't know that it's been specifically said this was Jeff's caretaker.

because says so. end of story.
THis story is just painful for me to hear. My son had a seizure behind the wheel last night he is still in the hospital but boy do I feel lucky
I am sitting here with him in his hospital room and my heart breaks for the Travoltas as they are living my nightmare.

Sorry to hear that, JBean. Hope he's okay. Prayers to you all!

Whatever channel my husband was watching when I got home quoted a "family friend" as saying John always worried about Jett's quality of life between the autism and Kawasaki disease. Now they didn't say who the friend was, but it at least implies he did have autism when the family seemed to avoid those questions.

I too wondered about the dog thing. A former coworkers sister got one because even on meds she still has them out of the blue and had one driving. When they decided to have kids, they got a dog and she's been able to "get to a safe place" and alert anyone who may be near by to pending seizures.

Regardless of religion or what problems Jett did have, this is so very sad. My prayers are with them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416
Back