Josh Powell Detained While Investigators Search Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
leaving Josh so I don't see how the church was making her stay. I think she wanted to try and make it work but I never got the impression others were forcing her into that decision. Others seemed to see Josh more clearly than she did.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but Peterson had been counseling them. It's commonly done between Priesthood members.

Here's a reference from the mainstream media:

Salt Lake Tribune, 7 Jan 2010

"Peterson previously told The Tribune he'd been involved in helping provide marriage counseling to Susan and Joshua Powell. He'd encouraged the woman to leave Joshua Powell, calling him "an energy suck." Susan Powell stopped seeing Peterson for counseling when he suggested divorce.

A clearly distraught Peterson said after Wednesday's playground set incident that he's frustrated Powell isn't stepping up to assist in the search for his wife.

"If he is supposed to be the head of the home and he is supposed to be taking care of his wife Susan, where is he?" Peterson questioned.

"He's one of my neighbors. He is somebody I went to church with. If he is the leader of his home, where is he? Why isn't he taking care of his family? "

**This is the story I posted earlier, verifying that the rental was from the Salt Lake Airport, not the private-plane airport (which has no rental car facilities).

If people want to believe Steven Powell came into town to "help", this is when it would have occurred. Otherwise, Josh could have rented a car in several locations around the valley, not just the airport.

IF steve powell did come into SLC to 'help' then it could set up plausible deniability to a degree. jp doesn't know exactly where she is and sp doesn't know what happened; the 2 of them together almost make a complete brain. ;)

Now if I was towing someone out and a child said that to ME... I would whisper "Okay sweetie..." and then call 911 at the first opportunity.

People have been caught later because of the tow truck before... here's a favorite case of mine if you are interested. :seeya:

Cops find the body of a woman in the desert. They also find tire tracks at the scene which they follow for hours.

They eventually find an area where it is obvious several vehicles have been there together. The vegetation and sand is torn up.

Then, they find a clean cell phone... in the middle of the desert.

They find out the phone belongs to..... a tow truck driver.

Charlie, the tow truck driver said he didn't know anything about any dead body but he could explain the tracks.

According to Charlie, a car got stuck in the sand the night before.

The owner called his father, who arrived in a pickup truck.

And the pickup truck got stuck, too.

They called for a tow truck, and it got stuck.

Finally, the tow-truck driver called Charlie, and he pulled them all out.

So then of course, why is the phone in the middle of nowhere??

Well while Charlie is trying to pull out the car, the truck and the tow truck... his phone rings.

Cell phone reception is crappy there. So he couldn't hear a word his wife was saying. He gets frustrated and throws the phone.

Charlie was able to tell them who was driving the car he pulled out and that the guy was nervous about them being in the car.

Both guys were convicted, one of them was also convicted of 3 other murders.

Without Charlie throwing his cell phone because his wife was bugging him again... they might not have solved the case.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/...loor)/5712/TRUTVP/Sunday_June_27_2010/349151/
I knew that case sounded familiar! :doh: I watched that episode of Forensic Files!

It really has me scratching my head as to why WVCPD wasn't tracking his every move from day 1. How did they not know he racked up so many miles on a rental car. Do they even have a clue as to when SP arrived in Utah? Seems like golden opportunity lost.

In defense of PD, that is pretty expensive. The departments have to decide how many resources they can expend on a case like this-they absorb the cost themselves until the state or federal authorities step in.

I hope that LE has found something in this search that would allow them to find this home unfit for the boys. Hopefully, they can then be removed to live with Cox family.

I am seriously hoping George & Cindy Anthony will step up to the plate and help the Cox family through their foundation named in honor of Caylee.

WTH? What is that all about? I spent a lot of time in the snow because I skiied for years. The only way I know of to get wind burned quickly is to have WET SKIN out in the freezing wind. I am trying to figure out how he managed to get severe wind burn that day.

He was not wearing gloves apparently, but why not? Did he lose them, OR HAVE TO DISPOSE OF THEM. Did he dump them when he hid the body because he was afraid of trace evidence on them? Did he dig in the snow with bare hands?

Oh the gloves....we talked about those til WE were blue:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4586757

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rnals-taken-from-home-Steven-Powell-says.html
[snip]
"Cooperation is a two-way street," he told the Deseret News at his home Friday. "The way they're treating our family is completely atrocious."
[snip]
Josh Powell believes using more than two dozen officers from Utah and Washington to serve the warrant was a bigger "show" than was appropriate. As for taking every computer in the house, Powell said, "That's just nasty of them," noting that he offered to simply give them all of his hard-drives.
"It's a complete and total abuse of power," he said.

Actually... it's not. It's just what they do.
Did they take the monitors for the computers too? Because a lot of times they will take those as well.
They don't just remove the hard drives. They also check to make sure the equipment is not stolen.

They also want to be able to check any disk drives to ensure there isn't CD, DVD, disk, whatever in them.
They also make sure they keep track of which content came from which computer... taking the hard drive out makes that more difficult to do.

Several people knew what he was doing, and they didn't call police.
The neighbor (Peterson)
Jennifer Graves, who had the kids while Josh had the rental car.

Peterson even took him to return the rental car, and told the police afterwards.

I don't think it would have occurred to me....

"Okay, my neighbors wife is missing and it looks really suspicious. The cops have taken his van and are treating him like a suspect.
I should probably let them know he rented a car because I'm sure they are NOT watching him, so they won't know he did that."

I would just assume that they were watching what he was doing... to put on GPS so he didn't flee the country or something?

NOW, I would assume they were incompetent. But in the beginning? I probably would have given them more credit than that.
Him renting a car once they took his van was something that could have been predicted, it wouldn't have been weeks of surveillance.
They could have then put GPS on that car and we would know where he had been with it.

Was it stated that the rental was in jp's name or perhaps sp's name? thnx

Actually... it's not. It's just what they do.
Did they take the monitors for the computers too? Because a lot of times they will take those as well.
They don't just remove the hard drives. They also check to make sure the equipment is not stolen.

They also want to be able to check any disk drives to ensure there isn't CD, DVD, disk, whatever in them.
They also make sure they keep track of which content came from which computer... taking the hard drive out makes that more difficult to do.

I don't think it would have occurred to me....

"Okay, my neighbors wife is missing and it looks really suspicious. The cops have taken his van and are treating him like a suspect.
I should probably let them know he rented a car because I'm sure they are NOT watching him, so they won't know he did that."

I would just assume that they were watching what he was doing... to put on GPS so he didn't flee the country or something?

NOW, I would assume they were incompetent. But in the beginning? I probably would have given them more credit than that.
Him renting a car once they took his van was something that could have been predicted, it wouldn't have been weeks of surveillance.
They could have then put GPS on that car and we would know where he had been with it.

I don't want to be disagreeable, but Peterson had been counseling them. It's commonly done between Priesthood members.

Here's a reference from the mainstream media:

Salt Lake Tribune, 7 Jan 2010

"Peterson previously told The Tribune he'd been involved in helping provide marriage counseling to Susan and Joshua Powell. He'd encouraged the woman to leave Joshua Powell, calling him "an energy suck." Susan Powell stopped seeing Peterson for counseling when he suggested divorce.

A clearly distraught Peterson said after Wednesday's playground set incident that he's frustrated Powell isn't stepping up to assist in the search for his wife.

"If he is supposed to be the head of the home and he is supposed to be taking care of his wife Susan, where is he?" Peterson questioned.

"He's one of my neighbors. He is somebody I went to church with. If he is the leader of his home, where is he? Why isn't he taking care of his family? "

"been involved in helping provide marriage counseling" can be as simple as referring someone and recommending they go, maybe even sharing that they had gone themselves.

Discussing the counseling casually between friends/neighbors/concerned onlookers doesnt necessarily mean they were in a formal counseling relationship, and I would not ASSUME that unless the person told me that personally. Has he come out publicly and stated he was providing "marriage counselling" to Josh AND Susan?

Just wondering if SP's name showed up on any of the flight manifests during that time period.

Dad could have flown to Nevada, rented a car and met Josh halfway.

Now if I was towing someone out and a child said that to ME... I would whisper "Okay sweetie..." and then call 911 at the first opportunity.

People have been caught later because of the tow truck before... here's a favorite case of mine if you are interested. :seeya:

Cops find the body of a woman in the desert. They also find tire tracks at the scene which they follow for hours.

They eventually find an area where it is obvious several vehicles have been there together. The vegetation and sand is torn up.

Then, they find a clean cell phone... in the middle of the desert.

They find out the phone belongs to..... a tow truck driver.

Charlie, the tow truck driver said he didn't know anything about any dead body but he could explain the tracks.

According to Charlie, a car got stuck in the sand the night before.

The owner called his father, who arrived in a pickup truck.

And the pickup truck got stuck, too.

They called for a tow truck, and it got stuck.

Finally, the tow-truck driver called Charlie, and he pulled them all out.

So then of course, why is the phone in the middle of nowhere??

Well while Charlie is trying to pull out the car, the truck and the tow truck... his phone rings.

Cell phone reception is crappy there. So he couldn't hear a word his wife was saying. He gets frustrated and throws the phone.

Charlie was able to tell them who was driving the car he pulled out and that the guy was nervous about them being in the car.

Both guys were convicted, one of them was also convicted of 3 other murders.

Without Charlie throwing his cell phone because his wife was bugging him again... they might not have solved the case.

http://www.livedash.com/transcript/...loor)/5712/TRUTVP/Sunday_June_27_2010/349151/

That was a cool show. I saw it. It's the one time I was glad somebody couldn't control their temper.

I think the cases of E. Smart and J. Duggard have open my mind to unexpected outcomes. I remember taking a class (goofy community classes for no real purpose) and the teacher said she was a psychic and she said that she "saw" Elizabeth being held underground near her house and she could hear people calling her name, and that she was taken for a polygamous bride. (This was within a couple of weeks of the abduction) I thought the teacher was nuts, and I stopped attending her class because of it. In my mind, up until that point - I always believed that abducted children are killed soon after they were taken. When I heard 9 months later, that she was found alive and that the things they psychic originally said was accurate - it made me realize that I don't know all the possibilities. Then, the Jaycee case happened - if 9 months seemed unlikely, what about 18 years? In between those cases, I heard about another local case (didn't make national news) but a girl who was taken to Mexico and resided there for 4 years, returned home with a child.

Strange things happen (frequently in Utah) but elsewhere too. That is why it takes an open mind in investigating things.

It's possible that Susan wasn't killed the night that she disappeared. (Not saying that she willingly ran off with a random man she just met), but we might learn more than we ever considered to be a possibility.

BBM

That's so freaking cool/creepy. Did you apologize to the professor when she was found? She is one of the few people I would truly call psychic.

I've read comments from several of her friends (who were involved in the same church) who encouraged her to leave, a friend from WA who stopped having any contact with Josh and only kept FB contact with Susan. She mentioned early in the investigation that she witnessed Josh being too controlling in front of her and her husband while on a joint vacation. Another friend, the neighbor who made the swingset, disapproved of Josh and suggested Susan leave. Perhaps there were others, as well. Many knew that they had problems in the past, and believed that things were improving during the final year together. They said that Susan wanted to work things out.

For some unknown reason - she loved/was committed to Josh. I don't see anything in his personality that would be attractive. But she wanted to make it work.

I remember that Mr. Cox said that he purchased a cell phone and paid her monthly phone bills so she could always call him in an emergency. (He lives in WA, she lives in UT -- would have to be a big emergency to need to call her dad for assistance). He said that he wanted to make sure that she was never without a phone in the event of financial problems (didn't want them to cancel Susan's phone service for budget reasons). That suggests to me, that the Cox's (despite their public statements) had reasons to be concern about Susan. I remember he once made a statement that he asked if her marriage was okay. (I can't remember ever being asked by any person if my marriage was okay).

I don't believe that Susan was being pressured from the outside to make things work. I think she actually had encouragement to leave. I believe it was her desire to make the relationship work that led her to stay.

I honestly don't know what it was that she found good about Josh, but apparantly there was something.

Many, many religions put divorce in a can't do category. Susan was supposedly a very strict Mormon and I think it would've taken an awful lot for her to leave her husband. JMO

If LE was suspicious enough to confiscate the van at that point, you would have thought they would also be tracking his every move. I can't believe they didn't. It didn't require info from anyone at the point if they were already looking at his van, they considered him a suspect early on. Yet he got a rental car and drove miles and miles.. and LE missed it. The car got cleaned, no GPS. Window of opportunity gone. No investigation is perfect...but you would have thought that tracking him from the get go would have been a no-brainer. Hopefully they have collected enough evidence to get him, despite that error.

Getting warrants isn't that easy. I can easily see the cops going before a judge and saying we took this guys van and he's rented a car. That's very flimsy evidence to put forth for a warrant even if you add in the camping story. JMO

I've missed the answer to this question so can someone help me?

What was the purpose or why was SP in Nevada when the LE searched the house?

I've missed the answer to this question so can someone help me?

What was the purpose or why was SP in Nevada when the LE searched the house?
I thought he was in Kennewick, WA

Oh ok I thought I heard one of those talking heads say that but I probably wanted to hear Nevada instead of Wa.

snipped:
Steely Dan Quote:

Getting warrants isn't that easy. I can easily see the cops going before a judge and saying we took this guys van and he's rented a car. That's very flimsy evidence to put forth for a warrant even if you add in the camping story. JMO :end quote.

Do they have to get a warrant to watch his moves? I don't know how that works. I was just thinking keeping track of him and what he was up to would have been very important, to cover all their bases. Considering how it turned out..that he returned the rental with mega miles put on it and red, chapped hands that he kept putting lotion on...it may have been way cheaper for LE to have tracked him then and busted him (if he was in fact hiding her body as many suspect), than to miss that opportunity and work on this case for 2 years, including the expense of driving their forensics crew, equipment, officers/detectives to Nevada and WA. I mean hindsight is 20/20, and I do give WVCPD props for keeping up the work on this case. They are determined. JMO.

If I worked with him, no matter how much I loathed him, I'd be his best friend hoping to learn something cause he is a true motor mouth...I used to call it verbal diarrhea. :innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustMe196503
Back