Josh Powell Detained While Investigators Search Home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know SP has be seething at having no control over Susan's journals at this moment. What will his next move be?

If JP did put something lethal in her food or drink that evening and she passed and he placed/hid her somewhere....could this be the reason we are hearing of her suicidal tendencies...for some type of defense, although weak as a wet noodle? She commited suicide, I found her and panicked, and hid her?

You know SP has be seething at having no control over Susan's journals at this moment. What will his next move be?

I think the best thing for him to do is arrange for as many media interviews as he can get. Josh, too. :juggle: :slapfight:

imo

LE has kept this case so secretive, we hardly know anything other than activities Josh has described, bits and pieces of info from friends, neighbors, Jovanna that evening, and the fact that fans were blowing on wet carpet which forensics took. A rental car with 400 some miles, red chapped hands, fleeing to WA. Rumors of a blow torch, shrink wrap purchased...not substantiated or known to be involved. What can we come up with to connect a few of the dots that led them to Ely, to WA and whatever they have been working on for the past 2 years that we are in the dark to?

1. Soil samples to Ely and the rental car?
2. Cell phone pings of JP and maybe SP?
3. The carpet...if blood were found would they have arrested him already?
4. What the kids told LE.
5. More information from people who knew them?

What else could they have that we haven't thought about?

Nothing new to add to the list, just a couple of comments/questions:

1. Soil samples. Would the soil at Ely be so distinctive and different from other areas that LE could be so specific about the location? If so, why?

2. Cell phone. Just a reminder to the newer people here that LE initially confiscated his cell phone. Then, he went to Walmart and bought another cell phone for his rental car trip. I guess LE got that one too.

[snip]

"Soon after police took Powell's cell phone, he went to Walmart and got a pre-paid cell phone, Petersen said."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353673/Powell-took-his-time-getting-home-neighbor-says.html

imo

I went back and re-read Kiirsi's blog from December 2009. She discusses how there is much more going on than the public is aware of. She also says she believes Susan was abducted and taken out of state. Maybe it was her information early in the case that led to Ely?

Anyway, knowing what we know today, her writing seems pretty spot on and provides food for thought.

http://crosscountryadventures.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/the-dark-side-of-the-search-for-susan/

imo

I went back and re-read Kiirsi's blog from December 2009. She discusses how there is much more going on than the public is aware of. She also says she believes Susan was abducted and taken out of state. Maybe it was her information early in the case that led to Ely?

Anyway, knowing what we know today, her writing seems pretty spot on and provides food for thought.

http://crosscountryadventures.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/the-dark-side-of-the-search-for-susan/

imo

Thanks for that link. I really must say that I feel compassion for people who are thrown into the spotlight unexpectantly and without their desire. It must be so difficult to get out in the media to get the attention you need and to deal with the undesire judgement, criticisms, demands for answers that you want to avoid talking about.

The police do need to keep details of what they know, the leads that they are pursuing to only the people who need to know. I know that so many of us have an interest in knowing, have the curiousity to solve the puzzle but everything that is disclosed to the public is also disclosed to the suspect(s).

I have so much respect for law enforcement in general, and do not have any information about the WVC PD in specific to be critical of anything they have done or not done. We do not know enough about what is happening to judge them. We don't understand how difficult it is to analyze every piece of information.

At times the public may feel cheated because they are given some information and are kept in the dark about other information. But the case is not about satisfying our curiousity but in what is in the best interest in solving this case, for the sake of the families involved.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-s...well-and-fatherinlaw-20110827,0,3385086.story

(today's news - more local Utah stations are paying attentiong to the Steven Chantry website)

[snip]

Chuck Cox, Susan's father, says that he has never heard the songs, but does know about them. He doesn't know whether they were written about Susan.
"I have not listened to them. I haven't listened to the website," said Chuck in an interview with Fox 13. "Frankly, it turns my stomach to think about it."

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/128483088.html

[snip] (from older news - first time I heard Steven directly admitting that he did write songs about Susan)

"It was definitely a romantic obsession," he said. "You know, Susan's a beautiful woman. When a beautiful woman comes on to you like that, it's really hard to resist that kind of a thing, and maybe it's just me, and probably inappropriate. ... Sure, I wrote songs about her."

I think the best thing for him to do is arrange for as many media interviews as he can get. Josh, too. :juggle: :slapfight:

imo

I'm glad that they are not listening to any attorneys' advice to shut up.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705389837/Are-Powell-statements-part-of-a-strategy.html

[snip]
Attorneys typically urge their clients to either not make, or be very careful making statements to reporters because they might be used by prosecutors if they were to bring charges.
"All of those statements can be used in some capacity down the road," Skordas said. "All of those are recorded and all of those can be part of a case if the government chooses to use those, and they're putting a big case together."
Skordas said his advice to both Powells would be to stop talking. Medwed agreed.

I know that SP is not, according to LE, a suspect. But I wonder if JP's bizarre midnight camping trip might not have been an elaborate diversion while someone else, possibly a deranged narcissistic power-monging patriarch with delusions of musical accomplishment, cleaned up. JP, thick as he appears to be, seems still to be very confident in his absurd story -- why?

One reason, and I know it's been raised here already, is that he neither murdered nor disposed of his wife and genuinely does not know where she is. This would not get him off the hook of conspiring to do away with her and being complicit with her death and disappearance -- I have no doubt he's involved -- but is it possible that a third party, perhaps another member of the P clan, actually did the dirty work? Or is that too Murder She Wrote?

It seems like this recent raid and the surreal series of interviews and revelations it has helped sponsor have been about narrowing a motive net -- and in the middle of that net, struggling like the smug bloated flounder he is, wriggles Papa Steve (apologies for the weak simile). Increasingly I think JP lacked the brains and the bottle and the follow-through for this -- unless he was taking very particular orders from back home.

s

I know that SP is not, according to LE, a suspect. But I wonder if JP's bizarre midnight camping trip might not have been an elaborate diversion while someone else, possibly a deranged narcissistic power-monging patriarch with delusions of musical accomplishment, cleaned up. JP, thick as he appears to be, seems still to be very confident in his absurd story -- why?

One reason, and I know it's been raised here already, is that he neither murdered nor disposed of his wife and genuinely does not know where she is. This would not get him off the hook of conspiring to do away with her and being complicit with her death and disappearance -- I have no doubt he's involved -- but is it possible that a third party, perhaps another member of the P clan, actually did the dirty work? Or is that too Murder She Wrote?

It seems like this recent raid and the surreal series of interviews and revelations it has helped sponsor have been about narrowing a motive net -- and in the middle of that net, struggling like the smug bloated flounder he is, wriggles Papa Steve (apologies for the weak simile). Increasingly I think JP lacked the brains and the bottle and the follow-through for this -- unless he was taking very particular orders from back home.

s

I know from every appearance that I have seen of Josh, he seems like a very idiotic person. However, I've read comments from those who know him well claim that he is actually a very bright person.

Sometimes intelligent people are misdirected and are more devious and conniving than they are useful with their intelligence.

I also heard that Josh was a very talkative person normally - but all of the videos that we see of him - he seems to not be able to speak fluidly, is that an act? has his personality changed since the event?

If he was emotionally/physically controlled by his father when he was a child and had the experience of being on his own for a few years and being the man in charge -- it has to be difficult for him to be living under his father's roof again - with his kids. It is hard for parents to live with their parents. Steve is the master of his castle, Josh is suppose to be the father of his kids -- but in this scenario, does Josh go back to being the child of Steven, or exert himself as a man?

Surely he hasn't exerted himself as a man when his father was making inappropriate advances towards his wife.

Personally (not that I have any sympathy for Josh) I believe living with his father has got to be sort of like being in a prison. He is dependent on his father, financially, emotionally. Perhaps he is stuck in this co-dependent relationship more so now than ever because of what his father knows.

Just speaking for myself, I think I would prefer a prison of space and have my mind clear rather than have my mind in prison and be free to walk about.

I think anything is possible as to which of the two had the more direct involvement, but I don't doubt that there was some conspiracy between the two (before, during or after).

Nothing new to add to the list, just a couple of comments/questions:

1. Soil samples. Would the soil at Ely be so distinctive and different from other areas that LE could be so specific about the location? If so, why?

2. Cell phone. Just a reminder to the newer people here that LE initially confiscated his cell phone. Then, he went to Walmart and bought another cell phone for his rental car trip. I guess LE got that one too.

[snip]

"Soon after police took Powell's cell phone, he went to Walmart and got a pre-paid cell phone, Petersen said."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705353673/Powell-took-his-time-getting-home-neighbor-says.html

imo
I don't know if they took soil samples from the rental car etc. or from Ely, NV...or how different it would be from Utah soils but I had read this article.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-dirt-provide-clues-in-Susan-Powell-case.html

I wonder how Alina feels now after she stepped into the media, defending her father and saying how he never stepped over the line and treated Susan as a daughter; only to have her father admit to his obsession, writing songs, taking photos, videos and the enjoyment he got from his sexual flirtations?

If she didn't realize it before - does that change her opinion of her father? If Josh didn't know before (as he claimed) then what does he think now?

Other than Jennifer, are there any other Powell children who are willing to speak up against their father and to suggest that a father-in-law's obssession towards his daughter's wife is "crossing the boundary" (something Alina didn't think he did before his public announcements)

I am thinking about the one son who wanted a career in politics - who knows, maybe he is a good person, maybe he's not, but isn't it sad when it is your parent or sibling who destroys your careers goals and not yourself? Isn't there anyone living with that family who wants to speak out against the craziness?

What is Josh feeling now? Not only was he being ridiculed and emasculated by his own father within his marriage -- but his father is doing it to him in the national media. Is this the man that Josh wants to be so closely involved in raising his own children?

Keeping things secret does not make everything normal - ending it, exposing it can be a very freeing experience.

I wonder how Alina feels now after she stepped into the media, defending her father and saying how he never stepped over the line and treated Susan as a daughter; only to have her father admit to his obsession, writing songs, taking photos, videos and the enjoyment he got from his sexual flirtations?

If she didn't realize it before - does that change her opinion of her father? If Josh didn't know before (as he claimed) then what does he think now?

Other than Jennifer, are there any other Powell children who are willing to speak up against their father and to suggest that a father-in-law's obssession towards his daughter's wife is "crossing the boundary" (something Alina didn't think he did before his public announcements)

I am thinking about the one son who wanted a career in politics - who knows, maybe he is a good person, maybe he's not, but isn't it sad when it is your parent or sibling who destroys your careers goals and not yourself? Isn't there anyone living with that family who wants to speak out against the craziness?

What is Josh feeling now? Not only was he being ridiculed and emasculated by his own father within his marriage -- but his father is doing it to him in the national media. Is this the man that Josh wants to be so closely involved in raising his own children?

Keeping things secret does not make everything normal - ending it, exposing it can be a very freeing experience.
Yes, interesting. I do also wonder how the other sibs in the house are digesting that info. According to Josh, neither Susan or bad-dad told him anything. I think the whole story is manufactured by Josh and pops. They want to make Susan look as bad as possible. There are a lot of lies being told to create a smokescreen.

I know from every appearance that I have seen of Josh, he seems like a very idiotic person. However, I've read comments from those who know him well claim that he is actually a very bright person.

Sometimes intelligent people are misdirected and are more devious and conniving than they are useful with their intelligence.

I also heard that Josh was a very talkative person normally - but all of the videos that we see of him - he seems to not be able to speak fluidly, is that an act? has his personality changed since the event?

If he was emotionally/physically controlled by his father when he was a child and had the experience of being on his own for a few years and being the man in charge -- it has to be difficult for him to be living under his father's roof again - with his kids. It is hard for parents to live with their parents. Steve is the master of his castle, Josh is suppose to be the father of his kids -- but in this scenario, does Josh go back to being the child of Steven, or exert himself as a man?

Surely he hasn't exerted himself as a man when his father was making inappropriate advances towards his wife.

Personally (not that I have any sympathy for Josh) I believe living with his father has got to be sort of like being in a prison. He is dependent on his father, financially, emotionally. Perhaps he is stuck in this co-dependent relationship more so now than ever because of what his father knows.

Just speaking for myself, I think I would prefer a prison of space and have my mind clear rather than have my mind in prison and be free to walk about.

I think anything is possible as to which of the two had the more direct involvement, but I don't doubt that there was some conspiracy between the two (before, during or after).
Did you notice in the video where Josh brought the kids and SP to the honk and wave in WA to confront the Cox's that when Josh was trying to speak to the reporter SP pushes his way in front of the camera and started talking over Josh? Josh moves him back and says "Let me talk" and gives him a little bonding squeeze on the arm to say 'sorry' and dad complies. He doesn't want to piss SP off. I can tell that SP runs the show in the household...he is definitely the ring master. That must be really hard to be under his thumb, but Josh needs his support and is stuck. Explains the big bags and dark circles under Josh's eyes. He must be living with a stress scale ranking a 10 out of 10.

Does anyone have any links to Alina Powell video or pics? I have never seen her. TIA!

Anything new on the case this weekend? I haven't been able to keep up with family illnesses. TIA.

I believe this as the likeliest scenario, with a possible added twist of Susan finally telling him specific things about his father's sexually abusive actions. That Josh spent so much time on the phone with his dad right before she goes missing is telling.

In her friends accounts of Susan's telling THEM of Steve's scary perversions, do any of them state specifically whether Josh WAS AWARE of this, or did she simply tell Josh his bad-dad was not welcome in her home without explaining to him why? It is hard to believe she would not explain why, since he was totally banned, not simply disliked.

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/52439863-78/powell-susan-steve-josh.html.csp

[snip]

The couple soon moved to Utah, Hellewell wrote, and one day a package arrived from Steve Powell containing photos of Susan’s favorite movie star, Mel Gibson.
"Susan thought this was actually a nice gesture on the part of Steve Powell ... then she saw what was sitting in the middle of the stack of pictures: several pictures of naked men," Hellewell wrote.
Hellewell said Susan Powell threw away the photos and vowed to never let her father-in-law near her children. She said she didn’t want the boys alone around Steve Powell, Hellewell said.
Graves recalled Josh Powell acting indifferent toward his father sending the package with photos.
"By then, he was blowing off most stuff. Whatever Dad would do, he would just accept it,"
Graves said.

................. BBM I remember another article that mentioned the "sharing" Susan - where Josh dismissed it as his father says outrageous things (can't find that source right now) But this link shows that he has been indifferent to Susan's complaint and was aware of the nude photos.

found another source:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/128483088.html

"She said something about Steve had wanted her to be a common wife for him and Josh," Chuck Cox said. According to him, when Susan discussed the remark with Josh, he dismissed it as part of his father's penchant for saying outrageous things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynthialynn13
Back