Josh Powell's House in WA blows up - Thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Coxes agreed to it? Oh, what pain for them....I'm sure they just wanted the best for the boys. So sad.

Yes. I just found out. I had been blaming the system and just found out. I'm sure they felt pressured, though. Because, the way the current system is, they were lucky to have custody to begin with. he went two years as a clear suspect with custody of those boys. It wasn't until child *advertiser censored* was found in the home that the Coxes had any chance.

To me, there is something very wrong with that.

I really hope this case causes some changes in how these cases are approached. I think the judge in this case actually did the best she could under the circumstances. Her order for a psycho-sexual eval is a very rare order and shows, IMO, how desperate she was to keep the boys away from their father. I think she understood the danger but the protections suspects and parents currently have via our constitution, trumps the safety of two, little boys.

That link won't open up for me. Could there be an error in it? I'd like to see the photos. There must be few things sadder than a child's empty room -- when the children are never coming back to that room.

Oops! I will fix it. I left an extra "http" in the address!

located in court buildings with all entrants subject to search and metal detectors. I don't think the concept of a violent end was too far fetched to grasp here. Someone should have been on top of this. He exhibited plenty of scary signs with his beliefs and actions.

Reading his last court filing you could sense his desparation. How could those invovled NOT see that his failure to secure the custody that he KNEW he deserved and thought he was going to get back would not create a dangerous situation? Everyone knew he was determined to get his children back, to get them under his control. Not only that but keep them away from the Coxes, who he hated. His father was taken away to jail. He was going to have to undergo an evaluaiton that clearly freaked him out. He was a ticking time bomb. If visitation was even appropriate it should have been in a state controlled environment with law enforcement officers, not in his home and not with a social worker. All LE invovled have stated they believed he killed his wife. He displayed enough instability reinforced by his court filings and appearances that the court could have easily viewed him as the danger he actually was and could have gone the extra step from social worker supervised vivists to safe and armed supervised visits.

Sure, he might have been determined and he might have succeeded anyway but I feel we, as society, are guilty of making it just too damn easy for him. IMO, this was not a tough thing to predict and it certainly could have been prevented if everyone was focused on the right things. I don't see how any parent suspected of killing their spouse is NOT a danger to their children. Especially here where there was plenty of evidence aduced during the investigation of how controlling he was. His control already resulted in one death. How could it fail to be seen how likely it was, at this point, that this need for control could evidence itself as it did. It's the same as when a battered woman leaves is the most dangerous time. His children remained in the Coxes custody and he was threatened with exposure through the mandeted psychological testing which would further secure their placement with the Coxes.

You are 100% right. This was very predictable. In fact, many of us predicted such a murder-suicide. I wish the judge had ordered secure, supervised visits. But I do think her hands were tied to a large degree. Or at least, she felt that way. The safety of Charlie and Braden should have trumped EVERYTHING.

This press conference, in front of this house, explaining that a gas can was lit intentionally where the 3 of them were... I mean... this is a nightmare.

No weapon found, either.

I don't know how much more I can take.
This is one of the saddest things I have seen in my entire life.

He had been living at that house since Aug? Before the ole man was arrested or the search of his house? First I've heard of this.

You are 100% right. This was very predictable. In fact, many of us predicted such a murder-suicide. I wish the judge had ordered secure, supervised visits. But I do think her hands were tied to a large degree. Or at least, she felt that way. The safety of Charlie and Braden should have trumped EVERYTHING.

I agree, it was predictable but I doubt many could even envision that he would pick such a horrible way to go. Burning himself and the children alive.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/53456311-82/bagley-cartoon-facebook-lake.html.csp

Those pictures just kill me, chasing.halos. Such happy, beautiful boys. I can't understand how Josh could have done this, how anyone could do something so savage and awful to such precious children. I just don't get it. I never will.

<BBM>

Wonder why LE was waiting for summer????

If they had enough on him they should have arrested him now and those 2 darling boys could have been spared.

I can't watch the video but if they said they were going to arrest him in the summer then I am pretty angry. You don't decide to wait 5 months to see if something better comes along when children are involved (better = finding Susan, only reason i could see waiting)

Thank you to hollyeblue and chasing.halos for the photos of Charlie and Braden and the candles for Susan, Charlie and Braden.

They are the reason we are all here. Going to have another cry now.....

wm

I can't watch the video but if they said they were going to arrest him in the summer then I am pretty angry. You don't decide to wait 5 months to see if something better comes along when children are involved (better = finding Susan, only reason i could see waiting)

There was no guarantee they would find her in a summer either, so I don't understand the idea of "waiting for the summer."

Reading his last court filing you could sense his desparation. How could those invovled NOT see that his failure to secure the custody that he KNEW he deserved and thought he was going to get back would not create a dangerous situation? Everyone knew he was determined to get his children back, to get them under his control. Not only that but keep them away from the Coxes, who he hated. His father was taken away to jail. He was going to have to undergo an evaluaiton that clearly freaked him out. He was a ticking time bomb. If visitation was even appropriate it should have been in a state controlled environment with law enforcement officers, not in his home and not with a social worker. All LE invovled have stated they believed he killed his wife. He displayed enough instability reinforced by his court filings and appearances that the court could have easily viewed him as the danger he actually was and could have gone the extra step from social worker supervised vivists to safe and armed supervised visits.

Hi Boytwnmom, I also picked it up in his last filing with the court. Actually, I remember people predicting it the last time he went camping. I sensed the desperation in his filing. I remember his apology for "his part" but nothing specific about what he was apologizing for.

In hindsight he knew his children were talking, he was a powder keg. My thoughts go out to the Coxes who have done everything possible to help the children for Susan.

Those pictures just kill me, chasinghalos. Such happy, beautiful boys. I can't understand how Josh could have done this, how anyone could do something so savage and awful to such precious children. I just don't get it. I never will.

I know. I am crying here at work. I can't seem to stop.

I have two boys as well and my oldest is my sensitive guy and my youngest is my lil mischievous one. I can see in some of the photos their personalities- Braden looks so mischievous to me and Charlie looks more shy.

Sigh. This is so horrible. Sheer horror. How DARE HIM.

The press conference was hard for me to follow. Kept stopping/cutting out.

Here is an article in which Jennifer Graves (the murderer's estranged sister) speaks about the murders: http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile/53456478-78/powell-graves-josh-terrica.html.csp

Short summary:

2 five-gallon gas cans discovered in remains of house, this was the accelerant used

Josh had sent email to several people, some were short like the one to his lawyer (I'm sorry, goodbye) and others included instructions on where his money was kept, info on utility shut off, etc.

All 3 bodies found in the middle of the house

So far they have not found anything that indicated Josh had given any information on Susan's case in the emails

Autopsies currently being performed, will know more in a couple hours

He stated a number of times, this was definitley pre-planned. How far in advance they are not sure yet

I probably missed stuff here, but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

ETA: Also, I could have sworn he said that Josh had lived in this house since August? Maybe I heard that wrong.

Short summary:

2 five-gallon gas cans discovered in reamins of house, this was the accelerant used

Josh had sent email to several people, some were short like the one to his lawyer (I'm sorry, goodbye) and others included instructions on where his money was kept, info on utility shut off, etc.

All 3 bodies found in the middle of the house

So far they have not found anything that indicated Josh had given any information on Susan's case in the emails

Autopsies currently being performed, will know more in a couple hours

He stated a number of times, this was definitley pre-planned. How far in advance they are not sure yet

I probably missed stuff here, but thats what I remember off the top of my head.

ETA: Also, I could have sworn he said that Josh had lived in this house since August? Maybe I heard that wrong.

I appreciate the update as I missed the presser.

wm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member