Kate Spade, 55, Fashion Designer, Found Dead, Suicide

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A medical examiner has officially declared Kate Spade’s death suicide by hanging, nearly two days after the fashion designer was found dead in her New York City apartment.

In a statement to PEOPLE, a spokesperson for New York’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said the agency determined Spade’s cause of death to be hanging and the manner suicide. The declaration comes as friends and family members open up about the final months of the 55-year-old’s life.

“Kate suffered from depression and anxiety for many years,” Spade’s husband, Andy, said in a statement to PEOPLE on Wednesday. “She was actively seeking help and working closely with her doctors to treat her disease, one that takes far too many lives. We were in touch with her the night before and she sounded happy,”

“There was no indication and no warning that she would do this. It was a complete shock. And it clearly wasn’t her. There were personal demons she was battling.”

Kate Spade's Death Officially Declared Suicide by Hanging: Medical Examiner

When news of Kate Spade’s suicide broke Tuesday morning, many readers responded with an outpouring of empathy and support for both Ms. Spade and her family. The death also prompted several Times commenters to reflect on how their own lives had been touched by a similar experience.

Many of those readers discussed their personal experiences with suicidal depression and stories of relatives and friends who had taken their own lives.

Kate Spade’s Suicide Prompts Self-Disclosure and an Outpouring of Empathy

This morning whilst channel surfing I happened across an "update" on Kate Spades suicide. After showing a few pics of a smiling Kate & her handbags they showed pics of her husband leaving his apt this morning. He was wearing a child's backpack and an old fashioned Halloween mask that featured a cartoon character mouse. ?? How bizarre. Seems disrespectful. I believe we may find out more as time goes. Cruelty or an off sense of humor?? Weird.

Oh well. Maybe his coping mechanism.

PS: could not locate this clip online to attach .

This morning whilst channel surfing I happened across an "update" on Kate Spades suicide. After showing a few pics of a smiling Kate & her handbags they showed pics of her husband leaving his apt this morning. He was wearing a child's backpack and an old fashioned Halloween mask that featured a cartoon character mouse. ?? How bizarre. Seems disrespectful. I believe we may find out more as time goes. Cruelty or an off sense of humor?? Weird.

Oh well. Maybe his coping mechanism.

PS: could not locate this clip online to attach .

Kate Spade’s husband emerges in bizarre mouse mask

Bizarre, indeed.

The mask — Bernard, voiced by Bob Newhart in the 1977 cartoon movie, “The Rescuers” — depicts the fictional character with a grinning bucktoothed face, black whiskers, wearing a red newsboy cap and matching turtleneck.

Spade, 55, clad in a buttoned-up jean jacket, slowly walked to a waiting black Chevy Suburban while clutching a coffee mug and with a green notebook tucked under his arm.

He ignored a reporter’s questions.

Spade was also wearing a stuffed blue and yellow backpack.

“Do you know the meaning of privacy?” he snapped as he climbed into the SUV.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/07/kate-spades-husband-emerges-in-bizarre-mouse-mask/

images

I saw that picture too. It was the lead story in (of course) the Daily Mail. I'm sure he's in shock and devastated and bombarded with media right now . . . and I think that's all I will say.
Yes, I think it's his out-of-control reaction to the negative media attention.

But I think fame is always this double-edged sword. They used her name to become very rich and successful, but now he can't stuff this magic genie back in the bottle.

And I don't think it's greed, I think it's about legacy, being remembered for how up-beat and fresh and fabulous her work/image was. Instead of a persona of quirkiness, bright colours and young working women having fun, now it's this dark side of addiction, mental illness, suffering. What kind of handbag do you take to a funeral?

Last edited:
Kate Spade (1962 – 2018), fashion designer
NEW YORK (AP) — Bright. Vibrant. Colorful. And, most essentially, fun.

The same words used so often to describe Kate Spade's enormously popular handbags — "It" bags that were both aspirational and affordable — were an apt description of the woman herself, say many in the fashion world. And that only contributed to the sense of shock and loss in the industry upon hearing the news Tuesday that Spade had apparently taken her own life at 55.

"She was always just as happy and delightful as her collection was," said Fern Mallis, industry consultant and former director of the Council of Fashion Designers of America during Spade's rise to success in the 1990s. "She was every bit the representation of that brand, and the fun of it all."...

Kate Spade (1962 – 2018), fashion designer

Saddening statistics here in America. An interesting news report. Lots of data parsed from several agencies. Middle-aged adults and veterans had the highest increases, if I’m reading this correctly.

Suicide rate: US saw 25% increase since 1999, CDC says

From the article:

Dr. Sandro Galea, dean and Robert A. Knox Professor at the Boston University School of Public Health, said the National Vital Statistics System is the "best system we have of keeping records in the country." Galea, who was not involved in the new study, added that for this reason, the new research should be taken "very seriously."

"There have been previous reports recently that have shown suicide is one of the major contributors to a decrease in life expectancy in this country, which makes it even more alarming," he said.

"The paper makes a clear case, correctly, about the fact that there is no one cause for suicide," he said, adding that "availability of means" makes death possible.

"A lot of suicide is a one-time effort, so having guns available, for example, makes one more likely to complete suicide, but that in and of itself is not an explanation for why suicide is going up," Galea said.

"CDC data shows that suicide happens to everybody," he said. "Social and life and economic stressors are the ones that create the conditions for suicides to happen."

Mom's heartbreaking letter to Kate Spade about her daughter's first trip to store goes viral

"Kate, I’m sorry that we could not bottle that up for you. I’m sorry that we could not bottle up every grin, every laughter, every happy heart that walked through your stores,"

She apologized for society being too scared to talk about mental-health issues:

"I’m sorry that some don’t understand it. And I’m sorry that the world still doesn’t always allow us to talk openly about it, without fear of prejudice."

And finally, she said she felt guilty:

"I’m sorry, Kate, that we could not gift you the happiness that was felt in this six-year-old's body that day," she said. "I kinda feel guilty now for feeling so much happiness that day, wondering now if you were perhaps sad that day."

It's clear that Kate has been suffering from severe depression for many years, according to reports.

It's also clear, IMO, that she tried her best to mask her inner distress by constantly wearing a smile. This strategy is not uncommon among those of us who are tortured by what others characterize as our "inner demons".

Some of the so-called "inner demons":

1. The expectation to be strong (and never exhibit "weakness" - whatever that means)

2. To be perfect (again, whatever that means, see point number 1)

3. The pressure to not only achieve enormous success (i.e. celebrity status) in one's profession - but the unrelenting pressure to surpass previous success

4. The fear of being perceived/judged as "less than" if we seemingly fall short of satisfying the external demands described in point number 3

5. How we feel about ourselves if we feel that we've "failed" to meet point number 3

Most importantly:

6. The unexpected shunning that occurs when we finally open up to others close to us, when we tentatively (and bravely) reveal our vulnerabilities; when we let it be known that we are not the superwomen depicted in the fictional tales.

When we finally reach that breaking point of no longer being able to be the "Wind Beneath My Wings" that so many expect us to be because of our perceived attributes.

When we finally reach that place where we're willing to cry out for help - to be met with deafening Silence in return - because those who had placed unrealistic expectations upon us couldn't accept the possibility of our broken wings.

That's the most desolate place in the universe.

That's the true definition of Hell.

When one is residing in Hell, one will do anything to escape.

Was just looking for a thread on this....what in the world is going on ???????????????
My bro killed himself in ‘ 93,,,,,,,,its not fair to the living.

Dear Really,

I am so sad to hear about your brother and the suffering you went through after his loss.

I can't even imagine how devastating and painful this was for you and your family. All I can hope is that good memories of the two of you remain in your heart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back