Katie Holmes gives Suri "adult" candy

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM-- hahahahahaha!!!! How old are your kids? I picture a child who is learning how to sound out words...."E-ed-edib-l. Edible panties!! Mom, why would anyone want edible panties?!" :crazy:

That is exactly what it was like!!! at the time, the were 5 ( almost 6) 3, and 2.... So ya, a little reading was going on. But luckily, we didn't have to explain anything, he wasn't that advanced yet on reading, and we were able to redirect pretty quickly... LOL :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

How old is your child, oh_gal?

Parental involvement is key - you are correct. Those of us who have had our children inadvertently exposed to naughty things might be more willing to see this as a parenting right of passage than an example of bad child-rearing.

I have a soon to be 23-year-old son, a soon to be 6 year old, and a soon to be 4 year old, so, yes, I've seen/experienced both ends.

How old is your child, oh_gal?

Parental involvement is key - you are correct. Those of us who have had our children inadvertently exposed to naughty things might be more willing to see this as a parenting right of passage than an example of bad child-rearing.

I don't see this as a parental right of passage. I see it (from what I can discern from a photo, anyway) as lazy parenting. If you, as an adult, want to poke around on shelves, looking at all types of sexual gew-gaws, have the self-control to leave the kiddies at home.

It's entirely possible that Katie turned, saw what she had in her hands, took it away from her, and got her out of there. Impossible to tell from a single photo. The security guards sure looked interested, though, and didn't appear to be trying to get them out of there.

article-1366750-0B3204F200000578-112_468x702.jpg

Just reposting the picture from upthread.
I don't see how anybody can think it's ok for this child to be close to these items.

Again, it's not just a box of gummies. LOOK at the items on the shelf.[/quote]

Ok...I cannot really discern WHAT these "items" are. Like SCM said, one item might say "*advertiser censored*", (which is just a one-syllable word) but what are these items that are so bad? I see what looks like a photo of a white thong, but I seriously do not what these items are. Again, judging from what is apparent to me at this angle (which isn't much), if I had to choose between exposing my 5 year old to this shelf and penis gummies versus the murders, rape and other violence on the nightly news.....the shelf wins hands down.

How about protecting our children from both! Sex novelties AND the nightly news.

It's our job.

How about protecting our children from both! Sex novelties AND the nightly news.

It's our job.

It's our Job to teach them how to get by in the world, not blind them from the reality of the world. Ya know, she could have been in front of that shelf for less then a minute.. all it takes is a split second to snap and take a picture. Who knows maybe that's why she is turning toward the body guards (or whoever it is that she is with).Could very well be- She walks up, starts looking sees the penis' and says OMG, looks to guys and BAM Suri grabs the penis'.. Katie turns back and sees what the baby grabbed, turned back to the guys, shocked..
0316-suri-startraks.jpg
and then grabbed them away from the child and left the area.

All of that could take place in a minutes time. A couple of pictures do not tell the whole story.

IMO As a parent, when you see it, you turn around and walk out.
You don't stand around with your child in reaching distance of the products.

How do you know she didn't walk away?? A picture is a split second of time.. less then actually. Snap snap snap.. and she walks away.. literally less then a minute.

It's our Job to teach them how to get by in the world, not blind them from the reality of the world. Ya know, she could have been in front of that shelf for less then a minute.. all it takes is a split second to snap and take a picture. Who knows maybe that's why she is turning toward the body guards (or whoever it is that she is with).Could very well be- She walks up, starts looking sees the penis' and says OMG, looks to guys and BAM Suri grabs the penis'.. Katie turns back and sees what the baby grabbed, turned back to the guys, shocked..
0316-suri-startraks.jpg
and then grabbed them away from the child and left the area.

All of that could take place in a minutes time. A couple of pictures do not tell the whole story.

I have to say, in that bottom picture, she looks like she's trying not to burst out laughing, while her eyes seem to say, "Look! Just look at what she's got!", while Suri seems very intent on the box. I'm just sayin....

I have to say, in that bottom picture, she looks like she's trying not to burst out laughing, while her eyes seem to say, "Look! Just look at what she's got!", while Suri seems very intent on the box. I'm just sayin....

i would laugh.......i'm such a bad parent.....grrrrrrr, too many prudes out there.....

i would laugh.......i'm such a bad parent.....grrrrrrr, too many prudes out there.....

If having the opinion that a 5 year old should not be around smut is being a prude, I'll gladly wear that title.

I see it as having common sense.

If this were a picture of a person involved in one of the cases here at WS, a lot of people would be screaming what a bad parent they are.

But since this is a celebrity, she gets a free pass and those who find it inappropriate are prudes.

How do you know she didn't walk away?? A picture is a split second of time.. less then actually. Snap snap snap.. and she walks away.. literally less then a minute.

That is so true.
Also, I think it's nice she actually takes her daughter on outings instead of leaving her with a nanny. Yeah, what Suri is holding is not child appropriate, but it's not like Katie bought them and took them home for her to put in her snack drawer. (Atleast I don't think she did.):crazy:

Some would argue that we need more prudes in the world today to combat push up and padded bikini tops for 7 year olds, the growing trend of sexual activity in grade school and bullying. If keeping my daughters from growing up too soon makes me a prude, sign me up!

What people don't seem to understand is that this is not just something to laugh off. It's a statement of our society that we would even THINK to laugh something like this off. This would never have happened 40 years ago. Look how far we've fallen. :(

It's a slippery slope, and some have slid off the radar.

I agree completely....her reaction of holding in laughter is exactly what MY reaction would have been - though I probably would have taken it a step further and used my phone to snap a pic of my child with the "naughty" gummies - then I would have texted that pic to my sisters and my BFF with a tagline that said "Mother of the Year!"

Honestly, bless the hearts (and I mean that sincerely) of the parents who think this is an example of bad or lazy parenting because I assume you are parents who are very hard on yourselves. I can't think of a single close Mommy friend of mine who doesn't have a story or two like this in her memory banks!

Some would argue that we need more prudes in the world today to combat push up and padded bikini tops for 7 year olds, the growing trend of sexual activity in grade school and bullying. If keeping my daughters from growing up too soon makes me a prude, sign me up!

What people don't seem to understand is that this is not just something to laugh off. It's a statement of our society that we would even THINK to laugh something like this off. This would never have happened 40 years ago. Look how far we've fallen. :(

I personally laugh it off because I think it was an accident. As a parent we all face embarrassing situations with our kids. I'd rather laugh about it than get up tight about the situation which in turn could make the kid uncomfortable. Or simply explain it to them. I doubt Suri even knew what she was looking at.
None of us were there (I don't think any of us were) so we don't know exactly what put Katie and Suri next to these items.

I agree completely....her reaction of holding in laughter is exactly what MY reaction would have been - though I probably would have taken it a step further and used my phone to snap a pic of my child with the "naughty" gummies - then I would have texted that pic to my sisters and my BFF with a tagline that said "Mother of the Year!"

Honestly, bless the hearts (and I mean that sincerely) of the parents who think this is an example of bad or lazy parenting because I assume you are parents who are very hard on yourselves. I can't think of a single close Mommy friend of mine who doesn't have a story or two like this in her memory banks!

Thank you for your blessing. I can always use them.

Oh Gal,

I appreciate and respect your perspective even though it is very different from my own.

But I disagree completely that something like this couldn't have happened 40 years ago. My daddy was a little kid way more than 40 years ago and you should hear the stories of naughtiness that he and his school-aged friends got into - naked lady playing cards smuggled onto the school yards to share with friends, etc..etc..all sorts of "badness."

His mom (my grandmother) had a great sense of humor, and so she survived all these things and still managed to raise decent, productive members of society who were not scarred by their childhood curiosities and peccadillos. There is really nothing new under the sun.

That said, parents today DO have more to monitor (mainly because of the uber-connectedness of our world now via the internet and other broadcast mediums) and I am the first to admit that it can be challenging and daunting and frustrating to raise our children in 2011's free and open society! But I wouldn't have it any other way - and if my kid got hold of some penis shaped candies while on my watch that wouldn't even make it onto my huge list of ways I miss the mark and falter in my attempts to raise well-adjusted children into joyous, giving lives.

MOO!

Oh Gal,

I appreciate and respect your perspective even though it is very different from my own.

But I disagree completely that something like this couldn't have happened 40 years ago. My daddy was a little kid way more than 40 years ago and you should hear the stories of naughtiness that he and his school-aged friends got into - naked lady playing cards smuggled onto the school yards to share with friends, etc..etc..all sorts of "badness."

His mom (my grandmother) had a great sense of humor, and so she survived all these things and still managed to raise decent, productive members of society who were not scarred by their childhood curiosities and peccadillos. There is really nothing new under the sun.

That said, parents today DO have more to monitor (mainly because of the uber-connectedness of our world now via the internet and other broadcast mediums) and I am the first to admit that it can be challenging and daunting and frustrating to raise our children in 2011's free and open society! But I wouldn't have it any other way - and if my kid got hold of some penis shaped candies while on my watch that wouldn't even make it onto my huge list of ways I miss the mark and falter in my attempts to raise well-adjusted children into joyous, giving lives.

MOO!

I can see you've given this much thought, and you are very comfortable with your position, as am I.

You know, the frog in the allegory I spoke of wayyyyyyy up there somewhere never noticed that he was in boiling water, until it was too late. At first the water was cool, and it was warmed so slowly, so slowly, that he allowed himself to gradually get used to each new temperature, thinking to himself, "wow, that's not so bad, is it?".

I guess I'm hyper vigilant. Believe it or not, I do pick my battles with my children, I learned that a long time ago. You know what I laugh off? Getting dirty while playing, and making a mess of their rooms, because those things can be cleaned up easily enough with no real harm done. But items that carry a message of sexual innendo happen to be one of those battles I do fight, because I feel that laughing off such things desensitizes us (as well as our children) to appropriate behavior -- maybe not at 4, but, if allowed to continue, surely at 12 or 13, when they are still too young to understand the consequences of that behavior. And yes, I'm also very selective in the clothes I allow my children to wear. Underclothes belong under clothes, not hanging out for all the world to see.

Thank you for your blessing. I can always use them.

You and me both, sister! :blowkiss:

Oh_gal, I really have gotten a lot out your thoughts in this discussion - Kimberly's too. I hope my posts haven't come across as unduly snarky - sometimes it's hard to convey light-hearted disagreement on message boards, you know? It's a different medium than a friendly chat over a cup of coffee.

I have a good deal of hypervigilance in my personality too. It can be both a blessing and a curse. For me, it's actually been really good to work on NOT being so hypervigilance because that road leads me to a super controlling place where I pay more attention to everyone else's needs and issues at the neglect of focusing on the only person I can ever truly change - me!

Parenting is the hardest thing I have ever done. Since you are a mom of 3, I know you get what I'm saying. As you say, we have to pick our battles or we will lose our minds! And different Moms have different lines in the sand. FWIW, I don't think it's "prudish" to not want your young child playing with sex toys.

I am a better parent when I am gentle with myself and give myself a break. Because I am gentle with myself in that way, I am also gentle with others - especially when I don't have much info to go on.

For example (as has been touched on in this thread), I would NEVER have a child Suri's age up and out at a restaurant at 11 p.m. That doesn't suit me or my family. But other parents I know have much less regimented schedules and would see nothing odd about this and that attitude works for them. Neither parenting stance is right or wrong - just different strokes!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back