Found Safe Kayla Durler, 17, Mistakenly sent to school when school was closed, Pittsburgh, 5 January 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Personally, I think that the liability is exactly why the school districts have determined to go with private providers to provide "transportation" for students. And that is what they do...transport from point A to point B. Classified as "bus drivers", not paras or special education providers. So, there is limited liability for everyone. Not the schools problem or the transportation provider.

I can see why this has evolved, from when I did IEP's, transportation was covered, with paras. Now, it is probably just general transportation, and probably need a designation of "most severely disabled" to qualify for special education transportation. Which, this gal, with Down Syndrome did not meet the stringent criteria for "most severely disabled".

All my own opinion.

So many people failed this poor girl. Each story is more and more frustrating!

ABC Transit’s driver then dropped Kayla off at the Jr./Sr. High School, watched her walk into the waiting area and sit down. Once Kayla was inside, the ABC Transit driver then departed the school,” said ABC Transit spokesperson.”

“While police told Channel 11 on Friday that Kayla did come in contact with a school staff member, the district said it is still investigating but there were staff members in the building at the time.”

According to the school, they notified the transit company that the school would be closed. I don't recall seeing that they notified the group home where Kayla lived. It seems to me that the procedure would be to notify the parents / guardians of the students if there was a school closure. If the group home knew that the school was closed, she would not (or should not) have boarded the bus when it erroneously arrived to pick her up.

ABC Transit’s driver then dropped Kayla off at the Jr./Sr. High School, watched her walk into the waiting area and sit down. Once Kayla was inside, the ABC Transit driver then departed the school,” said ABC Transit spokesperson.”

“While police told Channel 11 on Friday that Kayla did come in contact with a school staff member, the district said it is still investigating but there were staff members in the building at the time.”

I don't even know what I can say at this point. SMH.

Wait, what? Staff members inside the school saw her and then let her walk out to the street? It is a struggling school district, where dozens of teachers (and the principal) have quit in the past couple of years. Likely not relevant to this event, but still troubling.

Epic fail, but I’m trying to remain focused on the happy ending that KD was found safe, and that light has been shed on an issue with opportunity for future improvement.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back