KC Could Get A College Degree In Prison For Free - Thoughts Please

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is more to a college education than job training. The value isn't in the ability to increase earnings in the future, the value is in learning how to think objectively and logically and broadening intellectual understanding about the world. The answer isn't to deprive one subset of society with the opportunity to learn, it's to provide everyone with that opportunity.

Exactly.
So in an economy such as ours, we are wasting tax dollars on giving prisoners a college degree that they may never use. That makes sense :rolleyes:
The US national debt is $10,641,877,013,510.77 as of today increasing an average of $3.31 BILLION per day since Sept. 07. And people don't care that prisoners are getting paid in full education on that?

How about putting that towards a college education for the 100's of thousands of people lining up for unemployment?

:clap::clap:
Or to the young adults who need an education to be doctors some day who will save the lives of those who are making this economy worse!

All education is useful - college isn't the job corp.

:clap::clap:
Or to the young adults who need an education to be doctors some day who will save the lives of those who are making this economy worse!

Or our soldiers and veterans who come home after putting their lives on the line for our country to be able to get a job at Blockbuster.

The list could go on and on... :furious:

An education isn't the same as job training. Our soldiers have great educational opportunities as they well should.

Or our soldiers and veterans who come home after putting their lives on the line for our country to be able to get a job at Blockbuster.

AMEN!
Freedom isn't free..
Nor should be education for inmates who commit crimes!

I just posted this same statement on the rants thread, when I realized that it might make for a good thread on it's own. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this - as I believe it would be a slap in our faces (soceity) and an even further disrespect to the memory of Caylee.

:furious::furious::furious:Ok, my rotd is that I went to FSU for 2 years and paid alot of $$$ to be able to do that! Does everybody realize that, if KC is found guilty and sentenced to stay in prison for however long, she can receive a college degree while in prison? While I can appreciate the fact that this helps our soceity when prisoners are released, I think it's unfair that the costs of this program weighs on us taxpayers! Just think about it...KC lies about going to Valencia, and ends up going to jail, only for us tax payers to end up paying for her to get a degree with a very well established university! Heck, she could become a lawyer in jail, win an appeal based on some mitigating indiscretions from her original lawyer (which btw I do believe will happen - the appeal that is), and all the while "we" the taxpayers will have to foot the bill! Just a rant but worthwhile looking into. There's tons of universities that do this, but it's not entirely nationwide yet. If KC isn't found guilty of murder, and only gets a 20-30 year sentence, she could get her masters, heck, doctorate for all we know, and pass everything with flying colors. She'd have tons of free time in jail to be able to study. Wouldn't it be crazy if she ended up being a criminal defense lawyer and became wealthy once released? Oooooooh - burns me up! :furious::furious::furious:
Here's the link for FSU's program:

http://www.fsu.com/pages/2008/12/09/education_in_prison.html

Here's the actual page from fsu.com:
TOM BLOMBERG

Education in prison reduces crime: Florida State to lead national push

BY LIBBY FAIRHURST

The Florida State University College of Criminology and Criminal Justice will help to lead the newly formed "Alliance for the Advancement of Education in Juvenile Justice and Adult Corrections," a national coalition of correctional and educational professionals promoting proven education programs for incarcerated juvenile and adult offenders.

"Despite the current recession and the threat of cuts or worse to many public programs, our nation literally cannot afford to see the Alliance mission fail," said Florida State Professor Tom Blomberg, dean of the college.

"Today, it is estimated that crime costs U.S. taxpayers more than a trillion dollars a year, and our use of incarceration to combat crime has never been higher, with more than one in every 100 Americans behind bars, yet recidivism (repeat offending) now occurs at the alarming rate of 70 percent or more," he said. "Clearly, we need consistent, common-sense correctional policies driven and informed by scholarly research and empirical data, and among those practices proven to work, education during incarceration is one of the best."

Blomberg called education achievement the cornerstone of success not only for the general population but among the correctional population as well.

"Research data show that correctional education and associated academic achievement provide a positive turning point for incarcerated offenders in their post-release lives," he said. "They are more likely to gain employment and, therefore, less likely to re-offend. As a result, we save both tangible taxpayer dollars and the numerous intangible pain and suffering costs associated with criminal victimization."

As leaders of the Alliance, criminologists at Florida State will guide and coordinate the group's efforts in cooperation with the Correctional Education Association www.ceanational.org and other national and state organizations. Together the participants will provide leadership and research and develop legislative advocacy. In addition, Florida State researchers will collect data from all 50 states to establish a National Data Clearinghouse for juvenile justice and adult correctional education.

The hoped-for result: sound public policy that truly takes a bite out of crime by reducing recidivism and the nation's expensive and ineffective reliance upon incarceration.

For more information on Florida State University's distinguished College of Criminology and Criminal Justice, visit the Web site at www.criminology.fsu.edu. To learn more about the Center for Criminology and Public Policy Research, a branch of the college, go to www.criminologycenter.fsu.edu.

Who cares?
Let her ..
Let her get many degrees ..
She won't be out for a very L O N G time so again, who cares? :D

An education isn't the same as job training. Our soldiers have great educational opportunities as they well should.

They do not get it for free though, none of it, they risks their lives for their education, not take someone elses... They earn it, they have to sweat for it, they have to bleed for it!

Doesn't bother me. I could care less what education she gets in prison. If my guess is good, she'll be there for the rest of her life. If not, I don't think a degree from University of Florida State Prison, or whatever the prison is called, is going to be a very valuable degree for a baby killer.

You're right, Gitana, hopefully...but I just don't think it's fair that we the tax paying hard working citizens have to foot the bill for it. Like I said to another poster that told of a story in which she & her husband were victimized, the perp went to jail & got an education, then got out again & did it again (twice) - our wonderful govt didn't provide them with free therapy to get over being victimized but instead provided a college education for the a$$ that did this to them! What makes it even worse: the govt funds these programs through us taxpayers...so basically, if we get right down to it, the people that were victimized paid for the person that victimized them to get a better education. Where's the justice in that? I honestly think it's a great idea for prisoners to better themselves and learn from prior criminal acts or bad choices, but I think there should be better limitations and a stronger way to pay back the system. Plus, I think some sort of community service while living in a halfway house should be required. I'm optimistic, and believe in second chances (on some occasions), however our system is still unfair to us law abiding citizens that make a wonderful difference in this world. :blowkiss:

Who cares?
Let her ..
Let her get many degrees ..
She won't be out for a very L O N G time so again, who cares? :D

I care. I care when I have 2 nephews sitting in Iraq today not knowing if a bomb will hit their tents tonight? Why? So that people like Ms. Anthony can have rights. They chose to enlist, not necessarily to defend this country, but to gain the access to an education that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Thing is, they have to give to society in order to get back from society. Casey only had to kill her daughter...grrrr.

I care. I care when I have 2 nephews sitting in Iraq today not knowing if a bomb will hit their tents tonight? Why? So that people like Ms. Anthony can have rights. They chose to enlist, not necessarily to defend this country, but to gain the access to an education that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Thing is, they have to give to society in order to get back from society. Casey only had to kill her daughter...grrrr.

I care about your nephews, too. I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Here's wishing wonderful futures for both of them. :blowkiss:

I didn't really care what Casey did as long as she stays in jail, but then I read your post and I have to say, I agree with your thoughts.

I just posted this same statement on the rants thread, when I realized that it might make for a good thread on it's own. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this - as I believe it would be a slap in our faces (soceity) and an even further disrespect to the memory of Caylee.

:furious::furious::furious:Ok, my rotd is that I went to FSU for 2 years and paid alot of $$$ to be able to do that! Does everybody realize that, if KC is found guilty and sentenced to stay in prison for however long, she can receive a college degree while in prison? While I can appreciate the fact that this helps our soceity when prisoners are released, I think it's unfair that the costs of this program weighs on us taxpayers! Just think about it...KC lies about going to Valencia, and ends up going to jail, only for us tax payers to end up paying for her to get a degree with a very well established university! Heck, she could become a lawyer in jail, win an appeal based on some mitigating indiscretions from her original lawyer (which btw I do believe will happen - the appeal that is), and all the while "we" the taxpayers will have to foot the bill! Just a rant but worthwhile looking into. There's tons of universities that do this, but it's not entirely nationwide yet. If KC isn't found guilty of murder, and only gets a 20-30 year sentence, she could get her masters, heck, doctorate for all we know, and pass everything with flying colors. She'd have tons of free time in jail to be able to study. Wouldn't it be crazy if she ended up being a criminal defense lawyer and became wealthy once released? Oooooooh - burns me up! :furious::furious::furious:
Here's the link for FSU's program:

http://www.fsu.com/pages/2008/12/09/education_in_prison.html

I confess to answering this before reading the entire thread and I also recklessly snipped an interesting quote above. Please forgive. I am usually a much nicer poster than that; I'm just so tired today. (waaaa, waaaaa, waaaa)

I am up to my ears in student loans and working on my 2nd masters degree so I can get certified to teach and get a job (please God). I have never stolen, robbed, cheated, etc. to get ahead (or I might be better off than I am now :)

So, I do agree that for criminals who will be released back into society, addressing illiteracy is part of rehabilitation just like drug/alcohol/anger management rehab. A huge percentage of inmates can barely read and write. They may do better upon release if they can do so, and if they have a useful certification of some kind. Here they do plumbing certification. If it makes them less likely to crawl back through my kitchen window and rob me (happened for real) then I am all for it.

OTOH, long time felons should have to work within the walls and earn the opportunity for anything higher than a high school diploma, just like we do. I think they used to break rocks. They have the time to work thier way through, and they probably feel a heck of lot better than many of us do today.

I care about your nephews, too. I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Here's wishing wonderful futures for both of them. :blowkiss:

Thank you!
I tell you, it was a sad day in my life when my nephew came to me crying because his grades were good enough for college, yet his family could not afford to send him. The army turned out to be something that he loves, and thank goodness that he chose a job with the military that will keep him employed if and when he chooses to come out. I just don't see it fair for Casey to be given that opportunity for free just because she is an inmate of her own choosing. Its sad, it really is.

I confess to answering this before reading the entire thread and I also recklessly snipped an interesting quote above. Please forgive. I am usually a much nicer poster than that; I'm just so tired today. (waaaa, waaaaa, waaaa)

I am up to my ears in student loans and working on my 2nd masters degree so I can get certified to teach and get a job (please God). I have never stolen, robbed, cheated, etc. to get ahead (or I might be better off than I am now :)

So, I do agree that for criminals who will be released back into society, addressing illiteracy is part of rehabilitation just like drug/alcohol/anger management rehab. A huge percentage of inmates can barely read and write. They may do better upon release if they can do so, and if they have a useful certification of some kind. Here they do plumbing certification. If it makes them less likely to crawl back through my kitchen window and rob me (happened for real) then I am all for it.

OTOH, long time felons should have to work within the walls and earn the opportunity for anything higher than a high school diploma, just like we do. I think they used to break rocks. They have the time to work thier way through, and they probably feel a heck of lot better than many of us do today.

You opened my mind to that fact too. I have two daughters in college, and another about to go to college. I'M TOTALLY BROKE and yes, the student loans keep piling on.

This comment may belong on the rant thread, but isn't it an incrediable SHAME that our goverment continues to go out of their way to take care of our prison inmates, but once a soilder is injured and discharged, the system usually "forgets" about him/her and they are left with basically nothing? I would be HAPPY for my tax money to go towards taking care of those who fought for our freedom - including funding an education fund for them. But I am NOT happy that my tax dollars help educate the worst of the worst criminals.

Wow, you reminded me of something just now that I learned over the weekend about our school system.
One of the kids that plays on my son's ball team, his mother has a 4 year degree in Biology. She has been with the school system for 11 years now, and was just told that her job is on the line! Why? Not for lack of performance, but because the school must cut back and seniority is where they will start..Think about it..many teachers are loosing their jobs because the counties can't afford them anymore due to our economy, yet people like Casey will be offered an education...wanna talk about spitting nails, that fires me up!

I see where you're coming from but, unfortunately life is not always fair .. :/

I commend your 2 nephews ..
I hope they both return soon ..

:blowkiss:

It bites me to know that prisoners in general can get an education that wasn't available for me and that I cannot provide for my children. And that I have to pay for it. However, I understand that in the long run it is probably for my benefit (if I believe the stats for prisoners and education.)

However, I don't see why a prisoner shouldn't be required to repay for that education if they are released and practice that education. I also don't see why they shouldn't be required to practice that education for free while they are still in prison. Chefs could do catering for non-profit benefits and for homeless shelters, mechanics could provide car repair for the low income, lawyers could be available to write letters, wills and etc. free of charge for low income. Though they would probably have to provide a 'teaching and career center' on the grounds in order to accomplish that. But it would not only provide the prisoner with an education but would also provide them with practical experience and use that experience to benefit society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi