Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do not believe KSP would outright lie about the fact that her number was not stored in the victim's phone. MOO Not there means not there. not under her name or any other.

LE has told us the sheriff reportedly made phone calls (plural) from his own phone at least some of which were to his daughter. LE has said that Stines dialed his daughter's number in and made at least a call to his daughter using Mullins' phone. LE has said that the daughter did not answer the call from Mullins phone, nor was her number stored as a contact in his phone.

What is not clear (yet) is did the sheriff and his daughter have any conversation(s) in the calls he made to her from his own phone? And what was the content of those conversations?
To be fair, all we have are paraphrased quotes claiming that KSP stated something. The context of those quotes aren’t clear. If they had not obtained phone dumps at that point (which I think is accurate - I recall reading that they were still being processed), then KSP can both say they don’t have evidence to support that notion (yet), while there also being evidence to support it that just hasn’t been fully processed and examined. KSP’s statement also seems to contradict some of the court testimony as seen upthread (daughter gave statements about talking to the judge).

I think a lot of folks are trying to avoid this being tried in the media, so are putting forth a lot of effort to extinguish flames before they erupt into a massive thing.

JMO

This sounds important:

Testimony about phone number of sheriff’s daughter taken ‘out of context,’ sources say​

By Mountain Eagle Staff
on October 09, 2024
By SAM ADAMS

Two law enforcement sources have confirmed that former Sheriff Shawn “Mickey” Stines did not select his daughter’s number from a pre-saved list on District Judge Kevin Mullins’s phone when he called her just prior to killing the judge. Both say Stines dialed the number before he shot Mullins multiple times in the judge’s chambers behind the Letcher District Courtroom...

The rest of the article is behind a paywall.

This could mean that Stines did not find his daughter's number on the judge's phone pre-saved or otherwise but rather the record of him dialing it right then was what Stamper was referring to. If so his reaction might be more related on what was said if the daughter answered while she was thinking she was speaking to the judge (not to the Sheriff following his missed calls).
Not known if the call was cut-off immediately. Could she have tried to call back (the judge) -as shown in the ringing phone on the desk in the video?

Does anyone have access to the Mountain Eagle article to elaborate on what was written in the article?
Rbm.
Good catch, @jlo6161a :

Hmmm...
I have watched the blue-tinted "video-within-a-video" ; the one that was released first.
And also the clearer one with the cuts/edits.
I didn't see a phone light up or appear to be ringing (yes the sound is off for both) ?
Will check again.
Omo.

Mullins was the only District Court Judge in Letcher County and/or the County Courthouse (1st floor courtroom), and I wasn't able to locate his calendar for 9/19.

The Circuit Court Judge and Court are located on the 2nd floor and have their own bailiff. I agree, if there was no Court scheduled or in session, I think they could have been just about anywhere in the building.

I'm recalling the interview by the Circuit Court Clerk and he did mention that they (Bailiffs) did not hesitate to enter Mullins Chambers (Stines had obviously already made his exit via the side door). MOO

The last time the Letcher County bailiffs were reported in MSM was in 2019 following Stines election as County Sheriff.

While Fields replaced Stines as Mullins bailiff, he was terminated from the force in Feb 2022 for conduct unbecoming, Unknown if Enfusse still serves as bailiff for the Circuit Court Judge.
The department also receives part of the money for circuit court bailiff Mike Enfusse and new district court bailiff Ben Fields.

Agree. And I would like to know who was calling the Judge's phone as he was being shot. It seems like there is an incoming call evident on the video. Maybe the sheriff didn't start shooting until he saw who was calling?
From the Fox56 affiliate out of KY ; it doesn't look like the call came in until about 3/4 of the way into the shooting ?

What do we (collectively as WSs) know about workplace shootings? Setting aside the spectacle of the courthouse as a setting, and also setting aside the alleged perpetrator (Sheriff) and the victim (judge)?

Don’t these shootings generally arise as workplace disputes? In general, do they not have loss of job as a motive?

What might have motivated MS to execute KM?

Why No Immed. Response to Gunfire?
....It’s a wonder to me that 8 shots were fired with nobody bursting in. Iirc, MS left via a back door in chambers and then reentered the courthouse to surrender....
Sbm @Parsnip
IIRC w'in a few days of shooting, a reporter interviewed someone who had been in the bldg, who said it was hard to tell where the gunfire occurred and some/many ppl exited the bldg. Story was linked here, but I can't find ATM.

^ That's from my hazy recall. ^ Welcoming clarification or correction.

Last edited:
Why No Immed. Response to Gunfire?

Sbm @Parsnip
IIRC w'in a few days of shooting, a reporter interviewed someone who has been in the bldg, said it was hard to tell where the gunfire occurred and some/many ppl exited the bldg. Story was linked here, but I can't find ATM.

^ That's from my hazy recall. ^ Welcoming clarification or correction.
Ty, @al66pine .

Spoiler alert: Lawyer for killer Kentucky sheriff DOES NOT REVEAL the real reason why he shot judge dead

Spoiler alert 2: they both ordered the $13.99 wings and salad for lunch
Yet again another deceitful and incomplete article from the DM! A thorough reporter would have told us what sauces they each ordered for their wings. You can tell a lot about a man from his wing sauce preference

What do we (collectively as WSs) know about workplace shootings? Setting aside the spectacle of the courthouse as a setting, and also setting aside the alleged perpetrator (Sheriff) and the victim (judge)?

Don’t these shootings generally arise as workplace disputes? In general, do they not have loss of job as a motive?

What might have motivated MS to execute KM?

I don't think either of these men and/or their positions necessarily fall in the category of workplace shootings, given they are both elected, County officials. JMO

I don't think either of these men and/or their positions necessarily fall in the category of workplace shootings, given they are both elected, County officials. JMO
Was there not a shooting in the workplace? I’m not sure how being an elected official would play in here to make this not a point with which to contend, but I am open to hear your thoughts.

“Stamper said he was told Stines had tried to call his daughter on his phone and the judge’s phone. He said police confirmed Stines’ daughter’s phone number was on the judge’s phone.”

Now I’m just confused- per this article the daughters phone number WAS in the judge’s phone- do we know which is true?

Or is this just an outdated article?

“Stamper said he was told Stines had tried to call his daughter on his phone and the judge’s phone. He said police confirmed Stines’ daughter’s phone number was on the judge’s phone.”

Now I’m just confused- per this article the daughters phone number WAS in the judge’s phone- do we know which is true?

Or is this just an outdated article?
That article is dated October 1st. I would assume the more recent information released is accurate, especially since it is being presented as a correction.

Was there not a shooting in the workplace? I’m not sure how being an elected official would play in here to make this not a point with which to contend, but I am open to hear your thoughts.

I guess I'm of the mind of OSHA workplace violence, and workplace shooting defined as a mass shooting that occurs at a workplace, where a shooter targets co-workers, usually an employee or former employee. See the stats for "workplace shooter" in the link. Perhaps OP will/will not find them applicable to this case.

I guess I'm of the mind of OSHA workplace violence, and workplace shooting defined as a mass shooting that occurs at a workplace, where a shooter targets co-workers, usually an employee or former employee. See the stats for "workplace shooter" in the link. Perhaps OP will/will not find them applicable to this case.

Op has read the reference. And op still finds it applicable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back