KS - Alex & Jennifer Wood for starving 6 & 7yo girls, Wichita, 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MSM said:
From the article that Shazzie posted above:

On Friday, Sedgwick County Jail staff put Jennifer Wood in a cell by herself because she had been threatened by other inmates, said her lawyer, Roger Falk.

“That’s one of the reasons why I was trying to keep her out of jail,” said Falk, who had unsuccessfully argued in court for a lower bond that would have allowed Wood to stay out of jail.

So, doing something so horrible that other inmates threaten her is a reason to keep her out of jail?! What kind of logic is that? She deserves whatever she gets in there, IMHO.

That's the truth!

My daughter has food intolerances (celiac sprue)- if we are invited somewhere I always call and explain her diet, and usually bring special food for her as we always worry about cross contamination. Usually we bring extra gluten-free food as others always want to try it!

My youngest child is thin (she is 5, about 3 ft 11 inches tall and weighs only 49 lbs) and I get comments from people constantly asking if she eats well. That is, until they WATCH her eat-she eats more than I do!

They must have kept those poor children locked in the basement all the time-surely SOMEONE along the way would have seen them and called someone? Or maybe folks are just nosier down here in the South...

Shannon

You're very welcome for the post, southcitymom. For some reason, this particular case has really grabbed my attention. I've found myself googling like crazy for any crumbs of info I can find and wanted to share with anyone else who was interested...

Here's another article I've found that talks more about the possible effects of this on the kids and what they are going to need:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/news/local/crime_courts/15155218.htm

This one has a picture of the stepmonster (she looks as evil as she sounds!):
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/local/crime_courts/15141964.htm

P.S. Glad you like the quote. I find it helps me keep my perspective when reading about this and other horrific cases here at Websleuths!

Shazzie said:
You're very welcome for the post, southcitymom. For some reason, this particular case has really grabbed my attention. I've found myself googling like crazy for any crumbs of info I can find and wanted to share with anyone else who was interested...

Here's another article I've found that talks more about the possible effects of this on the kids and what they are going to need:

P.S. Glad you like the quote. I find it helps me keep my perspective when reading about this and other horrific cases here at Websleuths!
It has grabbed me too. And I was especially flummoxed about no one having boticed what was going on. As TaylorJ4 said, we can be a little nosy here in the south...and sometimes, that's a good thing!

Why does it seem that time and time again, children get in dire straits (or dead) because an agency hasn't done its job? I don't want to throw stones - I can only imagine that the case workers are grossly overworked. No one wants children to suffer. But still, someone should have checked up on these girls much much sooner. I am glad they are not dead, but it looks like they were close.

And your quite sums up a lot for me. I am fascinated with the cases I find here - always have had this type of fascination since I was a young girl - but I still believe strongly in the goodness of humanity.

Yes that lady does look evil because she is evil. I must be reading wrong but did it say that the step monster is out on bond?? Please say it isnt so...

Shazzie said:

Can you imagine how those poor girls felt? That face...that look on her face... is pure evil and I imagine those little angels saw it quite often. :(

This is one of the saddest things I have ever heard.
To deprive anyone of food, and especially water, is SO beyond cruel.

I hope this stepMonster gets what she deserves, and that those poor babies
find a loving home very, very soon.

So the questions about the biological mom have been answered, it appears she just didn't care.

Burgess, who will hear the case on temporary custody, expects the girls' biological mother, Jamie E. Wood, to attend. But there's no guarantee, he said, that she will end up with custody, even though courts try to place children with family members.

"There's just a lot of unknowns there." From what he understands, Burgess said, the biological mother "just hasn't had a very active role in the children's lives for quite a time."

He said he also expects the girls' father to attend the hearing. Alex Wood and the children's stepmother, Jennifer Wood, are each being held in the Sedgwick County Jail under $100,000 bond.

Court records show that the couple had joint custody when they divorced in 2003. Alex Wood was to have the primary residence for his daughters.

Mabel said:
So the questions about the biological mom have been answered, it appears she just didn't care.
On the interview I saw with the biological Mom, she said she was going to do everything in her power to get the girls back. I don't think she doesn't care.

Her exhusband got custody of the girls in the divorce and then he moved away with them. The Mom had no idea he had even remarried. She tried to do numerous things to find him and the girls. I'll try to find the link to the story and the video.

That said, the Mom has not been active in their lives and this may weigh into the Court's decision about what is best for the children. I do not know how stable the Mom is. When she got divorces, she had no job, no education, no driver's license, etc....just very little to offer the girls. Now, she has a roof over her head and employment, so who knows.

I hope the powers that be will FINALLY do what is in the best interest of these children.

Mygirlsadie said:
Yes that lady does look evil because she is evil. I must be reading wrong but did it say that the step monster is out on bond?? Please say it isnt so...

The judge actually raised her bail so she can't get out unless she can raise it.

Just ran across a story saying that the Governor of KS has ordered an investigation into what happened with those two reports on the girls that were made to the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services in the past year.

WICHITA, Kan. - Gov. Kathleen Sebelius on Monday ordered an investigation into what she called the state's failure to help two Wichita girls who police say were starved and tortured for months.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/15165487.htm

I was so glad to read that this is happening. I hope the whole story comes out and that those who were responsible for dropping the ball are held accountable and face severe consequences.

As horrific as this story is, I take a *tiny* bit of comfort in the fact that those kids were discovered and rescued before they ran out of time. It's a dirty rotten stinking shame that it took this long, but at least someone finally got there while there was still time to save them. According to everything I've read, they are doing well, and they have a chance for a normal life now. Any other outcome would have been unspeakably tragic.

Sharon

This case has really got me upset. I keep thinking about these 2 little girls, everytime I watch my 2 little boys eat or play or jump or laugh or hug me I feel heartbroken to think of someone doing something like that to them. I just can't understand how anyone can do it. My boys are about the same ages as these girls & there is just nothing in their little lives that they could do so wrong to justify any type of behavior like this at all. One thing that I keep thinking is at least they had each other. :(

One of the problems I have with the case is the fact that with all the great strides we've made in technology - we still lost two little girls for the period from Sept05 until a few weeks ago. Two little innocent children - for 9-10 months, it was almost as if they didn't exist. The stepmother & father were able to get by with all this - carry on their neat little lives without concern for the two in the basement. The laughter and love upstairs never trickled downstairs!

Can you imagine? You are. You feel. You need. But no one (for all they knew) cared. This really p---es me off!

cathieq said:
One of the problems I have with the case is the fact that with all the great strides we've made in technology - we still lost two little girls for the period from Sept05 until a few weeks ago. Two little innocent children - for 9-10 months, it was almost as if they didn't exist. The stepmother & father were able to get by with all this - carry on their neat little lives without concern for the two in the basement. The laughter and love upstairs never trickled downstairs!

Can you imagine? You are. You feel. You need. But no one (for all they knew) cared. This really p---es me off!

Keep exposing this. We have seen some strides.It takes all of us all the time to make a difference.

cathieq said:

Keep exposing this. We have seen some strides.It takes all of us all the time to make a difference.

Annie said:
I found two new newspaper articles on this case. I hope they lock them up and throw away the key.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/15189233.htm

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/15186004.htm
Great links, Annie, thanks. I remain dumbfounded by this case and by the amount of time these young children were starved and otherwise abused AFTER authorities were notified that something was gravely wrong. I hope this case causes some changes to be made.

My prayers for these beautiful little girls - that they may be introduced to a loving childhood before it is too late.

Jail jumpsuits are color-coded. Green signifies that Wood is not to be around certain other inmates. Jail officials won't discuss security measures involving individual inmates. Falk has said that Wood has been threatened by other inmates.

And i expect her to be threatened by many from other areas than prison for the rest of her miserable life.

Foraged for food...My heart breaks for stray animals who do that. Can you imagine a child...OMG! I am so glad I live so far away; otherwise, I would probably form a lynch mob.

cathieq said:
Just reading about this other case, I came across the following:

July 17, 2006
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- A 37-year-old man who starved to death his 9-week-old son made an emotional plea for mercy before he was sentenced Monday to as many as 12 years in state prison.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...jul17,0,672896.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyorkhttp://tinyurl.com/lbo5o

After spending almost two years in jail, a mother who pleaded guilty to starving her 3-month-old son to death was set to be released from custody Friday to begin a sentence of two years of house arrest followed by 12 years' probation.

The emaciated body of Katrina
Ferguson's son was found buried in a field near her Lauderdale Lakes apartment in March 2004. The child, Trinaud Robinson, weighed 2 pounds less than his birth weight of 7 pounds, 2 ounces. Ferguson told police the baby slept a lot and she sometimes skipped feedings.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...5jul15,0,5420345.story?coll=sfla-news-browardhttp://tinyurl.com/p3odk

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - A woman received an 11-year prison sentence Friday for allowing her newborn son to slowly starve to death during his three-month life. Tiffany Shantele Spears, 27, was convicted of felony murder in the death of Westley Richardson, who died in May from chronic starvation, and the neglect of his twin sister and older brother, who also went hungry for days.

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=25&sid=843351

And then there’s the case of Devontate Williams and so many others. They knowingly starved these children and knew full well what the outcome would be - death. It's only fair all of them should receive the same.

This makes me so angry that I could just scream. Look at the sentences that these people got. What in the heck is wrong with the dam system? They starved their children to death. Would they have gotten more of a sentence if they had just beaten them to death! The dam law is placing no value on the lives of these children. I just can't stand it. Why didn't these parents give these babies up for adoption. They obviously didn't want them. The darn parents should just be stood up against a building side by side and shot or put in a room together and left to starve to death. How could even one person treat a baby this way much less do it in numbers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back