GUILTY KS - Andrew Finch, 28, killed by LE in 'swatting' prank, Wichita, 28 Dec 2017 *civil trial 2022*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is how the shooting happened according to the police chief. This does not seem to be a case of a policeman shooting the first person he saw when the door opened. There was some interaction. As has been mentioned, keep your hands up and follow instructions. He lowered his hands three times and then turned and raised them quickly toward officers. I’m sure he was nervous and scared and meant no harm. Maybe he thought his pants were about to fall off or something. Who knows? But if one officer thinks another officer is in imminent danger of being killed, he will shoot. And that’s what happened, tragically. This is a nightmare for all concerned, including the officer who fired the fatal shot.

On Thursday, Deputy Wichita Police Chief Troy Livingston said Wichita’s City Hall received a call that there was a hostage situation in a house at 1033 W. McCormick — and that someone had been shot in the head.

"That was the information we were working off of," he said, explaining that officers went to the house ready for a hostage situation and they "got into position."

Livingston said when the door opened, officers gave Finch commands to put his hands up and walk toward them. He complied for a "very short time" and put his hands back down. He raised them again, and then lowered them for a second time, Livingston said.

"The male then turned towards the officers on the east side of the residence, lowered his hands to the waistband again, then suddenly pulled them back up towards those officers at the east," he said. "The officers on the north side of the street feared the male pulled a weapon from his waistband, retrieved a gun and was in the process of pointing it at the officers to the east. Fearing for those officers’ safety, the officer on the north side fired one round."

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192281169.html

Oh come on, how many police were there with bright lights shining in his eyes? It was chaos, officers screaming at him from two directions. He had probably never been confronted with a situation like that before. Totally baffling to him. He had done nothing wrong, so he couldn't see himself as a danger to those police who had their guns trained on him. This is just not right, all the screaming and yelling they do. Whatever happened to calling him out with a loud hailer operated by one person, not many of them screaming different instructions to him from different directions?

Years ago I saw video of a deadly police shooting. Two officers were yelling orders -- one said "Get on the ground" and the other "Put your hands up".

The man hesitated, not knowing what to do and was shot and killed. No charges were filed.

No source all these years later but I'll never forget. Does anyone else remember?

moo

He was at the door. He had no hostages. There were multiple officers. There was no reason to open fire immediately. No reason. None. Not one. Nope. Nothing that citizen said or did caused his death.

The officers did not know yet if he did or didn't have hostages. They had been told that he did have them and had already shot his father.

Multiple officers does not prevent a suspect from shooting one of them.

They did not open fire immediately.

Not following orders is what brought on this tragic death. It is sad and upsetting and a terrible tragedy. But I wish he had kept his hands all the way up, the entire time.

The officers did not know yet if he did or didn't have hostages. They had been told that he did have them and had already shot his father.

Not following orders is what brought on this tragic death. It is sad and upsetting and a terrible tragedy. But I wish he had kept his hands all the way up, the entire time.
Yes, after the event is always, the reaching into his waistband excuse. Why on earth would this unarmed man be reaching into his waistband? None of the bodycams show that

Yes, after the event is always, the reaching into his waistband excuse. Why on earth would this unarmed man be reaching into his waistband? None of the bodycams show that

I don't know why he would, but many do. I have seen it myself on various cam footage. People pull at their waistbands, esp when they feel their pants are falling low.

I can't see much of anything in the body cam footage I saw linked here. Did you see one that was closer up?

Believe me, that officer did not WANT to shoot his weapon. His life is a total mess right now in so many ways. He did not shoot out of maliciousness or viciousness.

When he walked to that door, he had been told the father had been shot in the head and the shooter was holding the family hostage. That is what he was thinking when he walked to the door. We have to remember that when we judge his actions.

Do we know where the shooter was in relation to the victim? Were the officers in the open or had they taken cover? TIA

Wow! It sounds like some here think police officers go to the scene of a possible crime just itching to shoot someone who makes one false move. Really?

It was said by the police chief that the victim made three moves that appeared to be reaching for a gun. On the third he turned and appeared to raise his arms toward an officer. It doesn’t sound like he was shot the first time his hands went down, despite being told to keep them up. He was given time to comply. Again, this was a tragedy and no one is blaming the victim. But this wasn’t deliberate on the part of the cop.

And no, we don’t yet know what body cams will show, but how come we accept as truth what LE says about crimes on other cases, but not when it comes to an officer-involved-shooting? Why the rush to judgement? Can’t we wait? If we could all watch the same video, I hope we would see it for what it is, rather than through the lens of our preconceived beliefs about LE. I include myself in that comment.

And let’s not forget the deliberate, malicious actions of Tyler Barriss who set this tragedy in motion as a PRANK!!! And has zero remorse. :mad:

Do we know where the shooter was in relation to the victim? Were the officers in the open or had they taken cover? TIA

Not sure, exactly, but it sounds like they were in the open enough to be in some danger. In the account I posted, the Chief said they “got in position.” Some were on the east side of the house. Andrew turned toward them when he raised his arms from his waist the third time and an officer on the north side of the street fired the shot. So it’s hard to tell if the officers on the east side had much cover.

Believe me, that officer did not WANT to shoot his weapon. His life is a total mess right now in so many ways. He did not shoot out of maliciousness or viciousness.

It sounds like these officers were somewhat inexperienced in handling a situation like this Katy. I wonder why they just didn't use stun guns. JMO, more people could have been hurt.

Not sure, exactly, but it sounds like they were in the open enough to be in some danger. In the account I posted, the Chief said they “got in position.” Some were on the east side of the house. Andrew turned toward them when he raised his arms from his waist the third time and an officer on the north side of the street fired the shot. So it’s hard to tell if the officers on the east side had much cover.

Thanks. I watched the video and couldn't tell where the shot came from. Not sure I'll watch when/if they release more video.

The idiots who started this mess make me so mad. Can't imagine having swat roll up to my house. No doubt about it, I'd have a panic episode and wouldn't be able to function.

moo

Wow! It sounds like some here think police officers go to the scene of a possible crime just itching to shoot someone who makes one false move. Really?

It was said by the police chief that the victim made three moves that appeared to be reaching for a gun. On the third he turned and appeared to raise his arms toward an officer. It doesn’t sound like he was shot the first time his hands went down, despite being told to keep them up. He was given time to comply. Again, this was a tragedy and no one is blaming the victim. But this wasn’t deliberate on the part of the cop.

And no, we don’t yet know what body cams will show, but how come we accept as truth what LE says about crimes on other cases, but not when it comes to an officer-involved-shooting? Why the rush to judgement? Can’t we wait? If we could all watch the same video, I hope we would see it for what it is, rather than through the lens of our preconceived beliefs about LE. I include myself in that comment.

And let’s not forget the deliberate, malicious actions of Tyler Barriss who set this tragedy in motion as a PRANK!!! And has zero remorse. :mad:

I could not tell much from the video, and I do think there's some dirty LEOs out there amongst us, but, I feel this man's death lies at the feet of Tyler Barris.

I could not tell much from the video, and I do think there's some dirty LEOs out there amongst us, but, I feel this man's death lies at the feet of Tyler Barris.

Agree completely, including that there are some dirty LEO’s. It’s not my default position, however. Tyler Barriss is definitely the person to hold responsible, even though he thinks he’s off the hook because he didn’t fire the gun. He at least agreed he should spend some time in jail though. Those words will come back to bite him!

SWATTING has been going on for over 10 years.

[video=youtube;rV966TomxdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV966TomxdY[/video]
[video=youtube;TiW-BVPCbZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiW-BVPCbZk[/video]

So you are actually blaming the victim?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catdog1234