KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it's interesting that they initially had a 14 y/o minimum age requirement then changed it. Just think, if it had been left alone little Caleb would be alive today. :(

Your mention of the log flumes and coming out of the seat reminded me of riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney World. When the elevator dropped I came up out of the seat every time, but the bar kept me in. Then a few years later they started using seat belts instead of the bar, because of some lawsuit by a teenager claiming the ride caused her to have a heart attack or something. Chances are she had a pre-existing condition and shouldn't have gone on the ride anyway. And darn it, it's not nearly as much fun since they added the seat belts. :/

OT
I have wanted to go to Disney and ride that Elevator Twilight Zone ride ever since I heard about it opening. Its on my bucket list. By the time I get to ride it I will probably be so old I will have a heart attack on it. :)

OT
I have wanted to go to Disney and ride that Elevator Twilight Zone ride ever since I heard about it opening. Its on my bucket list. By the time I get to ride it I will probably be so old I will have a heart attack on it. :)

I rode that back in 2000 I weighed 95 lbs and am petite. I came out of my seat (lap bar no belt) and my friend had to hold me down. I honestly thought I was going to fly out and die. I've been extremely traumatized ever since. I used to be a bit of a thrill seeker it changed that day.

I would be surprised if the entire raft went airborne. But I would NOT be surprised to find out the front of the raft went airborne a bit based on the weight distribution and whatnot.

I totally agree.
By just looking at the way the support bars went over the top of the chute to hold the netting then the only possible way he would have had contact with the netting is either the front end of raft went upwards OR he was propelled out of his seat OR both.

I would not be surprised if a little of both happened.

OT

No, don't wait! And don't go saying stuff about having a heart attack either, Hatfield. :scared: Sadly I read something recently that they may be changing it to a completely different ride. How sad, it's such an amazing ride!

I totally agree.
By just looking at the way the support bars went over the top of the chute to hold the netting then the only possible way he would have had contact with the netting is either the front end of raft went upwards OR he was propelled out of his seat OR both.

I would not be surprised if a little of both happened.

I think the front of the raft came up. I haven't heard anything about how much the women weighed, but if they were "average" then the raft would have been at least 50 and possibly 100 or more pounds underweight. You have the lightest person in the front, and water jets pushing the raft from the back. If those jets weren't pushing exactly "square" with the vertical center of the back, and instead were aimed a bit high or low, then that's going to cause a problem, too. If they're aimed low, then the water is going to go under the boat and tend to lift it - if they're aimed high, that could push the back end of the raft down and cause the nose to tip up.

Personally, I think the loose straps are a red herring (unless of course he tried to stand or something). From the photos, it appears the raft had not yet reached the crest of that second hill. It's at the crest that you would become weightless/lift from your seat - that shouldn't be an issue while still going up the incline.

If I was investigating, I'd check the weights and take a close look at those water jets....

I think the front of the raft came up. I haven't heard anything about how much the women weighed, but if they were "average" then the raft would have been at least 50 and possibly 100 or more pounds underweight. You have the lightest person in the front, and water jets pushing the raft from the back. If those jets weren't pushing exactly "square" with the vertical center of the back, and instead were aimed a bit high or low, then that's going to cause a problem, too. If they're aimed low, then the water is going to go under the boat and tend to lift it - if they're aimed high, that could push the back end of the raft down and cause the nose to tip up.

Personally, I think the loose straps are a red herring (unless of course he tried to stand or something). From the photos, it appears the raft had not yet reached the crest of that second hill. It's at the crest that you would become weightless/lift from your seat - that shouldn't be an issue while still going up the incline.

If I was investigating, I'd check the weights and take a close look at those water jets....

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-weights-in-caleb-schwab-kansas-water-slide-death-within-limits/

The weights of the women have been in MSM. The one in back was 275 pounds and the one in the middle was 197.

But police said weights taken at a hospital after the accident show one person weighed 275 pounds, another weighed 197 pounds and a third weighed 73 pounds, putting the combined weight at 545 pounds.

ETA: to correct weights and add link

We drove by this place last week on our way back to Minnesota. At first it didn't connect - but then it suddenly hit me - and I felt so sick to my stomach.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

From what I've read, it seems the problem (besides a faulty design) was the uneven weight distribution of the raft.

From what I've read, it seems the problem (besides a faulty design) was the uneven weight distribution of the raft.

i just can't see this being the lone cause of the accident,

i am sure over the years there have been hundreds or even thousands of rafts ride successfully with "uneven weight distribution"

Every city, county, state agency and the water park itself expressed their deepest sympathies to the family. But what are they doing to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Some viewers asked why we continue to cover the story because it's painful to the boy's family. If we really had the family in mind, wouldn't we all be demanding answers and action?

http://m.kmbc.com/news/august-26-2016-editorial-verruckt-should-come-down/41390138

Well said KMBC!

to add to my previous reply,

the "uneven weight distribution" theory would be very simple to prove one way or another,

all they need to do is create 3 "crash test dummies" with similar weights and proportions, place them all in the raft according to where there were sitting, and send the raft on its way,

if the raft arrives at the bottom without incident then you know the "uneven weight distribution" theory is out the window,

out of all the thousands or hundreds of thousands of rafts that have gone down without incident, surely this raft could not be the only one that has ever had an "uneven weight distribution"

Weight distribution is one theory I've seen proposed. There are probably other theories I haven't seen.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifesty...caused-caleb-schwab-water-slide-decapitation/

Seventy-three-pound Caleb sat up at the front of the raft, while the two women behind him (both of whom were severely injured as well) weighed 197 and 275 pounds respectively. Though all passengers' combined weights were within the ride's limits, Mariusz Ziejewski, director of the Impact Biomechanics Laboratory at North Dakota State University, believes improper weight distribution on a ride like Verrückt could lead to problems.
"You kind of have this catapult upwards," he told the Star. "Maybe this was a contributing factor. That's not good." This could cause the raft to lift and go airborne, which would subsequently possibly cause passengers to hit the netting and metal supports covering the slide. There have been recent reports of these Verrückt rafts lifting scarily.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifesty...erslide-death-findings-may-never-be-revealed/

Three weeks after Caleb Schwab, the 10-year-old son of a Kansas lawmaker, was decapitated while riding Verrückt, the world's tallest waterslide, experts are still trying to figure out how exactly the ride killed him. While many believe an uneven weight distribution on the ride may have caused Schwab's end of the boat to catapult upward, the official findings may not be released when concluded, the Kansas City Star reports. Taking cases like these to trial can often be so expensive, families end up settling privately.

New article about Federal regulation of ride safety as a result of this terrible tragedy

"When 10-year-old Caleb Schwab was killed earlier this month while riding the Verrückt waterslide in Kansas City, Kansas, it turned out that neither the state of Kansas nor the federal government had ever inspected it for safety. The accident has sparked a national debate on amusement park regulation."

http://kcur.org/post/death-verr-ckt...te-about-regulations-amusement-parks#stream/0

New article about Federal regulation of ride safety as a result of this terrible tragedy

"When 10-year-old Caleb Schwab was killed earlier this month while riding the Verrückt waterslide in Kansas City, Kansas, it turned out that neither the state of Kansas nor the federal government had ever inspected it for safety. The accident has sparked a national debate on amusement park regulation."

http://kcur.org/post/death-verr-ckt...te-about-regulations-amusement-parks#stream/0

I'm all for criminal charges against the idiot that designed this ride and allowed it to be built, and allowed all of the lenient requirements. This poor child died doing something for fun. So, yes, it makes me angry, it's criminal, IMO.

It would be great if they did re-regulate amusement park ride safety and inspections, but it's highly unlikely.

The industry group mentioned in the article spends quite a bit on lobbying Congress every year and likely contributes more to political campaigns. They'll have just enough supporters in Congress to make sure it doesn't happen.

At best, they'll come up with some kind of weak legislation with a snazzy name that doesn't do anything.

Posted at the ticket window, and upon entry to the park......

As i said previously, you are assuming the risks upon entry.....

Please carefully read these
Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions contain terms, provisions, covenants, conditions, restrictions, disclaimers and limitations of liability to which you are subject when you purchase or receive a ticket or membership to, or are admitted to or enter or use, the park.

Terms and Conditions for Admissions, Tic
keting and Memberships

Each time you purchase a ticket or membership to, or are admitted to or enter or use, the park, you thereby acknowledge and agree that you have read, understood, accepted and agreed to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.

There are inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park. Each guest accepts the inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park, as well all other risks, all risks of which an ordinary prudent person is or should be aware and all risks of which the guest is warned pursuant to these Terms and Conditions, other park rules and regulations, other posted warnings, directions and instructions and attraction operator warnings, directions and instructions. In furtherance and not in limitation of the foregoing, each guest acknowledges and agrees to have read, understood and accepted, and to be bound by, the following statements:

• I acknowledge, understand and agree there are inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park, as well other risks, risks of which an ordinary prudent person is or should be aware and risks of which I have been warned pursuant to these Terms and Conditions, other park rules and regulations, other posted warnings, directions and instructions and attraction operator warnings, directions and instructions.

• I acknowledge, understand and agree that bodily or physical injury or harm, sometimes serious, or even death, may be caused by or arise or result from or be attributable to the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park.

• I voluntarily accept and voluntarily assume the risk of bodily or physical injury or harm or death that may be caused by or arise or result from or be attributable to the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park.

• In consideration of using any or all amusement attractions, rides or devices or other recreational facilities located at the park:
    • I voluntarily accept and voluntarily assume the risk of bodily or physical injury or harm or death that may be caused by or arise or result from or be attributable to the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park.
    • I agree not to bring any litigation or other legal action against the park and all park owners, operators and lessees, all owners / lessors or manufacturers / designers / distributors of real or personal property including attractions used in the operation of the park, and all of their respective owners, affiliates, management, managers, officers, employees, agents, contractors or representatives, if I am hurt or otherwise suffer any bodily or physical injury or harm or death while or from using any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities at the park by reason of any bodily or physical injury or harm or death, including any that may be caused by or arise or result from or be attributable to any person’s negligence.
    • I understand that by my acceptance and assumption of risk of bodily or physical injury or harm or death that may be caused by or arise or result from or be attributable to the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park, I am waiving and releasing legal rights.
    • Normal operation of any attraction may be hazardous to those:
      • who are pregnant;
      • with heart conditions;
      • with neck or back problems;
      • subject to motion sickness; or
      • with other health problems that may make them more vulnerable to injury.The following people shall not use this ride: those under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

• You are responsible to know your health and physical condition and limitations and the health and physical condition and limitations of any minor under your care or supervision. If you ride or use, or you permit any minors under your care or supervision to ride or use, any amusement attraction/ride, you or they do so at your or their own risk.
All admissions, tickets and memberships are subject to these Terms and Conditions. Any person who receives a ticket or membership, regardless of whether that person was the purchaser, is subject to these Terms and Conditions. No refund, credit or exchange will be issued because or of based on a failure to read these Terms and Conditions.

A violation of any park rule/regulation is cause for ejection without refund, credit or exchange. Guests that do not follow written, posted and stated warnings, directions and instructions may be asked to leave the park and may lose their right to future entry.

ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS, CREDITS OR EXCHANGES. All sales of admissions, ticketing and memberships to the park, including for special or private events, are final. There are no refunds, credits or exchanges. When you use an admission ticket or a membership card to enter the park, you acknowledge, confirm and agree that services have been rendered.

[/B]

There are inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park. Each guest accepts the inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park, as well all other risks, all risks of which an ordinary prudent person is or should be aware and all risks of which the guest is warned pursuant to these Terms and Conditions, other park rules and regulations, other posted warnings, directions and instructions and attraction operator warnings, directions and instructions. In furtherance and not in limitation of the foregoing, each guest acknowledges and agrees to have read, understood and accepted, and to be bound by, the following statements:

• I acknowledge, understand and agree there are inherent and other risks associated with the use of or participation in or on any amusement attraction, ride or device or other recreational facilities located at the park, as well other risks, risks of which an ordinary prudent person is or should be aware and risks of which I have been warned pursuant to these Terms and Conditions, other park rules and regulations, other posted warnings, directions and instructions and attraction operator warnings, directions and instructions.

Snipped for focus and BBM

Key words. An ordinary, prudent person does not expect the park to be negligent in the design of their rides, , and the park certainly wasn't telling people their rides were designed by a high school dropout who didn't conduct the proper safety testing. These types of waivers do not legally cover negligence on the part of the park or attraction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back