Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Effective date was June 1. They said they would release the records if Lucas’ autopsy shows death by neglect or abuse ahead of the effective date

Effective date is July 2018

It’s effective date eliminates Lucas case because it happened prior.

The effective date for SB 336 addressing public release of certain info link;

I was thinking about he was complaining about people driving by his house and harassing not him causing trouble.
He was - we were speaking about the possibility that JH was at a bar the night EG died and someone thought he would be persona non grata at Wichita's watering holes - I was just explaining why I thought that he would be welcome in bars as opposed to not allowed just for being Lucas' dad.

In an email Thursday, Kansas DCF spokeswoman Taylor Forrest said the DCF “will release a summary on Lucas Hernandez as soon as the cause of death is determined to be as a result of abuse or neglect. That is our legal requirement.”
No finding of child abuse means no state records released after Lucas' body is found

In an email Thursday, Kansas DCF spokeswoman Taylor Forrest said the DCF “will release a summary on Lucas Hernandez as soon as the cause of death is determined to be as a result of abuse or neglect. That is our legal requirement.”
No finding of child abuse means no state records released after Lucas' body is found

Here’s the link; sadly DCF does not have to comply with new law and a summary can be as little as the dates only.

http://kslegislature.org/li/b2017_18/measures/documents/sb336_enrolled.pdf

Wichita’s Chief of police is very much about transparency and public input/community policing/community relations. He is very responsive at the appropriate time. Once the investigation is complete should other charges be filed or not I expect WPD along with the DA to make quite a bit if not all of it public. I have mentioned it before but I think it bears repeating - the sheer amount on Evan Brewer’s case that came out following the investigation and charges filed was overwhelming and astounding.
Completely agree. Chief Ramsay very openly cares about his community. Patience is hard but Wichita is carrying a heavy case load right now.

I agree, I acknowledged that in my followup. I just don't see JH being any sort of public nuisance, especially not with all of the media watching for him to mess up or do something they can report on.
I would be worried about his safety, not him starting something. Shootings are way up in Wichita this year, and with the high emotion in this case, add alcohol and...well...I can see a potential for a problem. JMHO of course.

I still think the timing of EG’s parents statement is significant. It’s the only statement they’ve made that I’m aware of and it was early on. I tried to find a link but I couldn’t find one. Anyhow, her parents made a statement the evening prior to EG’s arrest. I’ think her parents saw or suspected something on the 16th and when Lucas went missing they put two and two together and they did the right thing by telling LE. I have nothing more to base by opinion on just the timing of their statement. JMO

Do what? He was in another state. So how did he kill Lucas and get rid of his body? I could see if someone said he killed EG, but during all that time Lucas was missing, and Emily was alive, why didn't she ever tell LE that JH was responsible? Because if she could have blamed someone else, she would have. Didn't she admit to trying to blame the homeless man?

There's always situations that lead up to a crime. In this case, there's many different situations that COULD have been different, and stopped Lucas from being abused, and killed. Several times that had a link been removed, the chain of action would have been broken. But EG is the sole suspect in the abuse and murder of Lucas. Her actions were the direct cause of the abuse and neglect. Others' actions were an indirect cause.

Hope I strongly agree with your post. Well written and you’ve been here with us since I can remember. You’re a newcomer have well balanced opinions. Nice reading your stuff.

Effective date was June 1. They said they would release the records if Lucas’ autopsy shows death by neglect or abuse ahead of the effective date
Argh, I did jinx myself and computer froze up again! Hate to say it, but I'll have to lurk after getting this posted until everything's fixed...

Back on topic --
With as much as I want to give the benefit of the doubt toward those in charge of reform, this is where I see a possible Catch-22. They want to say "if" the autopsy shows xyz, they will release. However, what if autopsy doesn't show any substantial anything to warrant the release of those records -- despite a documented history of reports of abuse and pictures that indicate physical abuse, personal accounts that hint at emotional abuse, and pictures that indicate neglect/starvation/illness? I have been skeptical of this new law because of some of the wording. Evan Brewer was encased in concrete and video footage taken by MM and SB were evidence along with MM's own words -- even without the DCF case info, LE could make a strong case.

In Lucas's case, we have a father who denies abuse (or did for some time), family who reported suspicions but never witnessed abuse, and the likely abuser who never confessed to abuse and is now dead and cannot confess now. If the COD is not clear that neglect or abuse was the cause, what reason do they have to turn over the case file to LE or to the public? The new law doesn't address DCF's propensity to deny LE a look, citing privacy, and any further DCF reports that could be helpful in establishing a pattern of behavior (such as any possible reports filed on behalf of her boys or MH or any other children) are not likely to get turned over either.

If LE and ME need reports to clarify anything and DCF withholds it until "proof" requires them to, there's the problem. I want to believe that the law was introduced with good intent to be transparent, but it would be nice to know that DCF has turned everything over to LE, DA, and ME even if it hasn't been made public -- otherwise I remain skeptical that it was anything other than a CYA and money-grab....IMO.

Wow -- longtime problem at DCF. I'd not seen these details reported here!

Wichita child tragedies were a factor in removal of DCF official

March 2, 2018 By Associated Press

Gale's ouster is part of Meier-Hummel's efforts to revamp the agency she took over in December after years of controversy and criticism from lawmakers, child advocates and the public. BBM ...Kansas child tragedies of Evan Brewer and Lucas Hernandez were a factor in removal of DCF official

Wichita child tragedies were a factor in removal of DCF official

Former Kansas DCF official: Agency intentionally underreported child deaths 3/3/18

The unconventional method of exchanging information was intended to avoid a paper trail that might be useful to plaintiffs’ attorneys if DCF were sued, she said. Keech said DCF reported seven fatalities to the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data Base in 2013. However, Keech said she reviewed internal DCF reports on at least 20 fatalities that year.
Former Kansas DCF official: Agency intentionally underreported child deaths

DCF ‘failed thousands of families,’ says Carl Brewer. He’s not ready to praise new agency chief
BY JONATHAN SHORMAN
March 14, 2018 02:19 PM

The Kansas Department for Children and Families “failed thousands of families” over the past few years, says Carl Brewer. The Democratic candidate for governor whose grandson was found dead and encased in concrete last year isn’t ready to praise the agency’s new leader.

Democrats running for governor are divided over DCF Secretary Gina Meier-Hummel. Sen. Laura Kelly has embraced her, but others are taking a more hesitant approach.

“DCF’s immediate history of dishonesty and lack of transparency must be remedied. Describing Meier-Hummel to be an ‘agent of change’ is putting the cart before the horse. Meaningful change means restructuring DCF, and starting over with new leadership from outside Topeka,” Brewer said in a statement.

DCF ‘failed thousands of families,’ says Carl Brewer. He’s not ready to praise new agency chief

Argh, I did jinx myself and computer froze up again! Hate to say it, but I'll have to lurk after getting this posted until everything's fixed...

Back on topic --
With as much as I want to give the benefit of the doubt toward those in charge of reform, this is where I see a possible Catch-22. They want to say "if" the autopsy shows xyz, they will release. However, what if autopsy doesn't show any substantial anything to warrant the release of those records -- despite a documented history of reports of abuse and pictures that indicate physical abuse, personal accounts that hint at emotional abuse, and pictures that indicate neglect/starvation/illness? I have been skeptical of this new law because of some of the wording. Evan Brewer was encased in concrete and video footage taken by MM and SB were evidence along with MM's own words -- even without the DCF case info, LE could make a strong case.

In Lucas's case, we have a father who denies abuse (or did for some time), family who reported suspicions but never witnessed abuse, and the likely abuser who never confessed to abuse and is now dead and cannot confess now. If the COD is not clear that neglect or abuse was the cause, what reason do they have to turn over the case file to LE or to the public? The new law doesn't address DCF's propensity to deny LE a look, citing privacy, and any further DCF reports that could be helpful in establishing a pattern of behavior (such as any possible reports filed on behalf of her boys or MH or any other children) are not likely to get turned over either.

If LE and ME need reports to clarify anything and DCF withholds it until "proof" requires them to, there's the problem. I want to believe that the law was introduced with good intent to be transparent, but it would be nice to know that DCF has turned everything over to LE, DA, and ME even if it hasn't been made public -- otherwise I remain skeptical that it was anything other than a CYA and money-grab....IMO.
Even if that is the case, we have already seen much of it in the documents released in regards to the CINC case.

Even if that is the case, we have already seen much of it in the documents released in regards to the CINC case.
Yes, in this case we have.
I worry about the effectiveness of this law cases to come, especially if COD cannot pinpoint neglect or abuse.
I am concerned with the ambiguity, because my opinion is that the DCF file should be shared with LE investigating crimes against children whether they are alive or dead and whether or not COD can be attributed to neglect or abuse.

Unless and until I see otherwise I’m expecting the new leadership and the new law to bring positive changes as far as transparency and effectiveness.
Same here. I prefer to be hopeful. I really don't think, now that this has been in the public eye, that skirting under the table will be allowed to continue. But I hope people realize that it's not going to be fool-proof and it's not going to happen overnight.

Same here. I prefer to be hopeful. I really don't think, now that this has been in the public eye, that skirting under the table will be allowed to continue. But I hope people realize that it's not going to be fool-proof and it's not going to happen overnight.
I completely agree -- it will be an arduous process and I'm hopeful. While I'm not personally ready to call for an inquest or demand information for the public right now, I'm also holding onto a healthy (I think?) amount of skepticism as to whether or not this legislation will lend itself to the outcomes we're hoping for.
I know we all want the same thing, so we'll be watching carefully together :)

I still think the timing of EG’s parents statement is significant. It’s the only statement they’ve made that I’m aware of and it was early on. I tried to find a link but I couldn’t find one. Anyhow, her parents made a statement the evening prior to EG’s arrest. I’ think her parents saw or suspected something on the 16th and when Lucas went missing they put two and two together and they did the right thing by telling LE. I have nothing more to base by opinion on just the timing of their statement. JMO

Couldn't find anything from EG parent's PRIOR to arrest but only upon release from jail -- interesting comment from EM parents about hiring PI too:

Posted: Wed 10:24 PM, May 16, 2018

WICHITA, Kan....
Also making headlines is Lucas' stepmother who reported him missing. Wednesday, a jury found Emily Glass not guilty of endangering her one-year-old daughter. She had been in jail since February, a few days after she reported Lucas missing.

The charge against her, involving her young daughter, was a misdemeanor. Attorney Charley O'Hara says it's unusual for someone to be in jail as long as she was for the charge she faced.

O'Hara says collateral issues going on may have governed a lot of what's happened with Glass.

"The police or prosecution may want to (raise) bond in cases and may want people to stay in jail when they're trying to investigate them if they think there's something they've done that's more serious than what they're in there for," he says.

Glass is a person of interest in Lucas' disappearance, but police haven't said they have any evidence against her (BBM)

"Everybody everybody jumped to a lot of conclusions about miss glass, and that isn't fair to do," O'Hara says. "if you think about this and get the emotion out of it here, they haven't proved she's done anything, and they basically are treating her like she's responsible for the death of a child, and there's not any evidence i know of that's been presented that shows she is."

Glass' parents picked her up from the Sedgwick County Jail Wednesday. Eyewitness News spoke with them. They say they've hired a private investigator and that Glass is staying in a secret location while she adjusts and has time to gather her thoughts. (BBM)

Police say their investigation continues, but they are receiving less tips than they did in the days following Lucas' disappearance.

What's next for Emily Glass and the search for Lucas Hernandez?

Last edited:
I have so many questions rolling around in my head right now.

I'm wondering why JH was coming home at 2 am or was he really already home.

If EG intended on killing herself in front of JH why on earth would she use a rifle? It would take a while to orchestrate getting the rifle just right to be able to aim at a vital area while pulling the trigger with her toe. While getting into the required position, JH would have had plenty of time to stop her from pulling the trigger. Now, if an assault rifle was used, the much shorter stock would have facilitated the action. I can't imagine any other reason she would go to JH's home to kill herself unless she wanted him to watch her end her life. Scratching my head here.

If she wanted him to come home and find her body then how did she know that he would not be at home so that she could have the time to figure out how to kill herself with the rifle?

If so many people are driving by and harassing him, did anyone see EG arrive at the home with a rifle?
Did any of these people watching him, see him arrive home at 2 am?

How did EG travel to JH's home?

Who is the owner of the rifle?

One thing is certain, "dead men tell no tales".

That is not 100 percent true. Many time dead men tell many tales, just not verbally. Hoping Lucas can tell us a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper