KY KY - Ann Gotlib, 12, Louisville, 1 June 1983

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for the updates, I know they were posted a long time ago but I have read the whole thread. I am originally from Louisville. I, too, remember when Anna disappeared like it was yesterday. For weeks, that's all the people that I knew talked about.

I have always had a soft spot for ginger hair. I just wish we could find where he put her, and that there would be remains left to be laid to rest.

This June marks the 30 year anniversary of Ann Gotlib's disappearance.

Although new information came out a few years ago regarding a possible suspect, I have not seen any solid evidence since then, and Ann is still missing.

Has anyone seen any recent updates?

Bumping up.

I was talking to my grandmother tonight and she told me about this case. She was a young mother when this happened in Louisville and she still remembers it happening. It sparked my interest in the case.

It really pains me to see these cases of children,especially, who never come home. There isnt much I can do from here (Texas) but I will keep her thread going and keep searching skeletal remains on the internet...

I'd like to do a map of Oakleys home, the mall, where her bike was found, and her home. Does anyone have any of these addresses?

Here is a UID in Tennessee http://doenetwork.org/cases/482uftn.html
IMO the likeness is eerily close. What do you all think? I'll e-mail or call it in, if you all agree, but I really don't want to get anyones hopes up, unless, you guys somewhat agree. I will wait to hear from some of you.

Just a note; I don't believe Oakley did it, I realize he was a predator, but when he was dying, he gave an interview to a reporter, said he had nothing to do with this, plus, why is Oakley's girlfriend just now telling them that he came by that day with clothes? How could she remember that exact day? :confused:
If it was that clear to her now, I can't grasp why she didn't come forward then, I believe it should be public knowledge as to who she is, just in case, a book comes out in the future! JMHO.....

BBM
This is the only article that I can find which names the ex gf. Her initials are VB

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...-confession-by-Gregory-Oakley-later-forgotten

Interesting thing...

from the same link that I posted above, in the comments section there is one comment from August 2013. She states there was a sketch of the person responsible for Anns disappearance and a color and model of the vehicle. I have not seen one news article on that. Does anyone know any more about this??

Dead Child Molester 'Deceived' Detectives About Gotlib Case
Newly Released Records Detail Police Questioning of Greg Oakley
Mike Petchenik / WLKY

POSTED: 12:07 pm EST December 26, 2008
UPDATED: 4:44 pm EST December 26, 2008

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Seven months after investigators believe Gregory Oakley Jr. abducted and killed 12-year-old Ann Gotlib, newly released police records detail how detectives grilled the convicted child molester about her disappearance.

Gotlib vanished from Bashford Manor Mall on June 1, 1983. Her body was never found.

On Jan. 16, 1984, police arrested Oakley in connection with the September 1983 attempted rape and stabbing of Leigh Mooney, a Louisville police officer's daughter. Police said Oakley broke into the home in the middle of the day and forced Mooney to disrobe so he could have sex with her. Mooney fought back, and police said Oakley stabbed her in the back and then fled. He was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in prison. Police said he was also convicted of a similar attacks in his native Alabama.

On the same day Oakley was arrested, records show detectives questioned him about the Gotlib case.

"Lt. (John) Spellman then questioned Mr. Oakley about his knowledge of the missing person of Ann Gotlib," reads an investigative letter filed by Detective Robert Jones. "He advised he'd heard about it, however, he was not the person wanted for it. Mr. Oakley was asked if he would take a polygraph test on that case, and he advised he wanted to think that over."

During questioning, Spellman noted that Oakley "appeared more protective of his wording when talking about the Gotlib case. He also became flush face and worried more."

Three days later, detectives interviewed Oakley's ex-girlfriend. According to the interview transcripts, the woman said Oakley would often bring up the Gotlib case during conversation.

"Greg did talk about the Gotlib case," she told police. "He said that if they didn't find her shortly, that she is gone, they will never find her."

On the day of his arrest in the Mooney attack, detectives also administered a polygraph examine to Oakley:

EXAMINER: "Do you plan to lie to me during this test?" OAKLEY: "No."

EXAMINER: "Have you told police the complete truth?" OAKLEY: "Yes."

EXAMINER: "Do you know who abducted Ann Gotlib?" OAKLEY: "No."

EXAMINER: "Do you know where Ann Gotlib is right now?" OAKLEY: "No."

EXAMINER: "Did you kill Ann Gotlib?" OAKLEY: "No."

EXAMINER: "Have you lied to any of these questions?" OAKLEY: "No."

The examiner, Detective Ron Pike, concluded that Oakley's reactions to all of the questions were "indicative of deception."

"It is the opinion of this examiner that this subject is not telling the truth," Pike wrote in his report.

Despite the polygraph tests, though, police never charged Oakley with the crime. A former FBI agent who worked on the case told WLKY earlier this month that there was never enough evidence to indict him.

"I believe the case was not handled properly at the time," former Detective Robert Jones said of the Gotlib case during a press conference in early December to announce Oakley's alleged involvement. "I'd just like to apologize to them (Gotlib family) for not being more aggressive. But, at the time, I was following orders of my superior officers."

Homicide investigators now say they have evidence that Oakley is the "prime suspect." They said a former cellmate of Oakley, who died in 2002, told police Oakley confessed to him that he'd abducted Gotlib and drugged her to death. Police also said Oakley's ex-girlfriend came forward last summer to tell detectives that Oakley was in Louisville the day of Gotlib's disappearance, despite his statements to the contrary.

Commonwealth's attorney David Stengel has said he will not pursue posthumous charges against Oakley.

The link to this particular article is no good so Ive posted the whole article.

BBM Im thinking landfill....what are your thoughts??

I know the parents lived in Gerald Court which was 0.7 mile away from the mall. Here is my google map of it.

I don't know how to find the exact distance, but it was even closer. Bashford Manor mall is gone and parts of it are gone and places have been built on its remains. From what I remember, where Ann was last seen was directly across the street (and a creek) from Gerald Court. That would be roundabout where the logo on the map for Burlington Coat Factory is.

I don't think that changes anything as far as the case goes, it was just a bit closer to home than the Lowe's on the map. I fondly remember playing on the pedestrian bridge b/w the mall and Sizzler (now Tumbleweed).

I'll see if I can verify this. My moms friend was Anns very close friend when she disappeared. He remembers her well and still keeps in contact with the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing new to really add...

Friend of mine must have been talking to someone about her. She asked when she went missing so I sent her the Charley link.

I started researching her again and came upon the LEO story, but that's already been posted.
Her disappearance is the first thing that made me realize that kids should be fearful of strangers (I'd just turned 4).

Bashford Manor (what I knew as "the mall") was a much better place then. It's not even considered a mall now. Just a Burlington Coat Factory where Bacons was and a Walmart where the Target was at the other end of the mall. A lot of the rest has been demolished.

It's 99.999% certain that she is dead (and was so shortly after her disappearance), but HER REMAINS NEED TO BE FOUND.

God only knows how much that would help her family. It would even help me, someone totally unrelated to her, since I've wondered where she went since a year before I started Kindergarten. And I'm 35. I know people her age with grandchildren today.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back with you all yet. I'm still waiting for my moms friend to contact me. I may try emailing him instead of waiting on his phone call. Will post more when I know something.

Ps agreed wholeheartedly she needs to be found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadnt seen this article before so Ill post it. Sorry if its been posted before but to my memory, it has not.

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...rs++early+confession+finally+leads+to+suspect

Some really interesting tidbits from this article are....

Butler and his commander, Lt. Barry Wilkerson, went to Bailey's home that same day. She told them then that she had not shared everything when police interviewed her after Oakley's 1984 arrest in the Mooney case — in part because the detectives who interviewed her were rude, she said, and in part because she was terrified of Oakley.

Bailey said Oakley moved in with her in the spring of 1983 at her home on Windy Willow Drive after they met while working at the Fisher Packing Co. She said he was a heavy drinker and a regular at the old Sahara Club near Bashford Manor Mall.

She also told police that she'd traveled to Alabama with Oakley in late May 1983, thinking it was to meet his family. But she ended up attending his trial in the assault of his stepdaughter. It was then, she said, that she realized he might pose a danger.

Shortly after their return to Louisville, she told police, Oakley brought medicine and a syringe into their house. She thought it was related to his job and asked him to remove it so her dog wouldn't be hurt, police records show.

Bailey told Butler and Wilkerson that on May 31, 1983, Oakley told her he was going to Northern Kentucky for several days for his job as a meat inspector, something he did regularly. But about 11 p.m. the next day — the day Ann disappeared — Oakley returned home, drunk and covered in blood.

Though it wasn't unusual for him to come home with blood on his lab coat from the slaughterhouses, she said, he had never before asked her to wash it for him. This time he did.

---------------------

As Butler took over the case in 2008, he said, he tried to locate evidence that had disappeared during the many years of the investigation, including the bank statement that placed Oakley near Bashford Manor Mall that day.

And he said he'd like the opportunity to test the seatbelt from Oakley's car with more modern technology.

Records show that early tests indicated there was blood on the seatbelt, though technology then could not show to whom or what it belonged. Now the seatbelt cannot be found.

Update from my moms friend:

Ann came to the states when she was very young. So she had a perfect English speaking accent. Her parents had heavy Russian accents and her grandmother never spoke/learned English.

My moms friend met Ann when she was 10 years old through a mutual Russian friend. They became close. He said that she lived less than 100 yards from the place where she was abducted. He never could understand how no one saw anything while she was being abducted.

He always suspected the abductor was "some russian perv who lived in her apt complex". He said most of the residents in her apt complex were Russian.

Thats all I have for now...any questions you want me to ask him, I will!!

Interesting time line of Gregory L. Oakley Jr from http://www.wave3.com/story/9458488/...sible-for-ann-gotlibs-disappearance-and-death

July 1979. While living in Alabama, Oakley was identified as a suspect in the attempted assault of a 13 year old female using a hypodermic needle. The victim fought off the attack and fled.
July 1979 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female by injecting her with Katemine and then fled on foot. Oakley was charged and convicted for this offense.
November 1981 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted his 13 year old step-daughter with Demerol. Oakley was charged and plead guilty to this offense.
Fall 1982. Oakley moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a USDA Meat Inspector for the Louisville office.
June 1, 1983 - 3:50 pm. Evidence shows Oakley made a bank transaction at the Liberty Bank branch at the Bashford Manor Mall.
June 1, 1983 - 5:30 pm Ann Gotlib disappears from the Bashford Manor Mall parking lot while riding her bike on her way home from a friend's house.
September 1983 - Oakley attempted to abduct two young females walking to school along Goldsmith Lane, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall.
September 1983 - Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female at her residence on Masemure Court, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall. Oakley was charged in 1984 and sentenced to prison.
June 2002 - Oakley was medically released from prison and returned to Alabama.
October 2002 - Oakley died
June 2008 - 25th Anniversary of Ann Gotlib's disappearance prompted new information from witnesses
September 2008 - former cell mate of Oakley's advised investigators of Oakley's confession to killing Ann Gotlib by overdosing her with an injection of Talwin.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demee
Back