KY KY - Ann Gotlib, 12, Louisville, 1 June 1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I still think Greg oakleys girlfriend at the time knows more than she is saying. I think she's afraid of being charged as an accessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Refresh my memory on him please?

Please watch the above cold case YouTube video above. It will go over Greg Oakley and what he has to do with this case.

Oakley Timeline (and there's more at the link):

- July 1979. While living in Alabama, Oakley was identified as a suspect in the attempted assault of a 13 year old female using a hypodermic needle. The victim fought off the attack and fled.

- July 1979 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female by injecting her with Katemine and then fled on foot. Oakley was charged and convicted for this offense.

- November 1981 - Alabama. Oakley assaulted his 13 year old step-daughter with Demerol. Oakley was charged and plead guilty to this offense.

- Fall 1982. Oakley moved to Louisville, Kentucky and became a USDA Meat Inspector for the Louisville office.

- June 1, 1983 - 3:50 pm. Evidence shows Oakley made a bank transaction at the Liberty Bank branch at the Bashford Manor Mall.

- June 1, 1983 - 5:30 pm Ann Gotlib disappears from the Bashford Manor Mall parking lot while riding her bike on her way home from a friend's house.

- September 1983 - Oakley attempted to abduct two young females walking to school along Goldsmith Lane, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall.

- September 1983 - Oakley assaulted a 13 year old female at her residence on Masemure Court, several blocks away from Bashford Manor Mall. Oakley was charged in 1984 and sentenced to prison. (*see second link for more info about this victim)

- June 2002 - Oakley was medically released from prison and returned to Alabama.

- October 2002 - Oakley died

- June 2008 - 25th Anniversary of Ann Gotlib's disappearance prompted new information from witnesses

- September 2008 - former cell mate of Oakley's advised investigators of Oakley's confession to killing Ann Gotlib by overdosing her with an injection of Talwin.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/9462686/police-name-main-suspect-in-1983-gotlib-disappearance

http://www.wave3.com/story/9468512/...ieved-he-was-involved-in-gotlib-disappearance

Also, does anyone know where Oakley & his girlfriend lived (in relation to Bashford Manor Mall)?

Ok I remember him now. Thanks

I still think Greg oakleys girlfriend at the time knows more than she is saying. I think she's afraid of being charged as an accessory.

I agree. In an article she stated she wrote notes on her calendar when he came back that night and asked her to wash his clothes and he made her erase it. She claimed she doesn't remember what she wrote...pretty sure one would remember the gist of what you wrote...seems like she is holding back.

Has it ever been considered Ann Gotlib was the Warren County Jane Doe from 1984? JD was found 128 miles from where Ann was last seen.

Attachments

• NCMU1106797c1.jpg
    NCMU1106797c1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Ann_Gotlib.jpg
    Ann_Gotlib.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4
Has it ever been considered Ann Gotlib was the Warren County Jane Doe from 1984? JD was found 128 miles from where Ann was last seen.
Different clothes, Ann went missing in the summer and was wearing shorts. Wish one day that she is found as I am from that area.

Different clothes, Ann went missing in the summer and was wearing shorts. Wish one day that she is found as I am from that area.

Not every UID has the same clothes as when the person went missing.

The chief suspect in this case worked as a veterinarian if I read this correctly. I wonder if he had a clinic or was he exclusively doing meat inspection. If he had a clinic where does a vet dispose of euthanized animals? My vet offers cremations and I guess, if he had a clinic, that would be a way to dispose of a body

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I've read that this UID was ruled out as being Ann... but she's not listed as a rule-out. I'm just curious how certain they are about the rule-out-- there have been a couple of cases over the years where a rule-out turned out to be inaccurate. I tried to dig, but I couldn't find any info on how they ruled Ann out as this UID. (Search made more complicated because a different UID found in Campbell county, but also possibly linked/suspected to the redhead murders, was identified in the past year-ish as Tina Farmer.)

I suppose WHAS will be giving us bits and pieces of the information that was finally released.

Parents of Ann Gotlib say the case is 'unsolved' to them

More at link:

The two parents were born in Kyiv, Ukraine, they moved to Louisville in 1980 to give their daughter Anne a better life.

Just three years later, the 12-year-old went to Bashford Manor Mall riding this bicycle, and they never saw her again.

What happened to Ann Gotlib who disappeared from Louisville mall? | whas11.com

Last edited:
It is difficult in our contemporary age to imagine a time in America in whichthe safety and security of the youngest members of society were not safe-guarded and strictly monitored. Even 35 years ago, however, there were noAMBER Alerts, no sex offender registries, no missing children databases, andno advanced technology that could aid law enforcement agencies in the rescueand recovery of a child. Most of these revolutionary measures did not becomecommon until the late 1980s through to the mid-1990s, and typically only cameabout due to the loss of a child through abduction and death. The 1983 day-time abduction of 12-year-old Ann Gotlib, for example, played a major role inthe establishment of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Childrenand the practice of posting missing child information on billboards.
Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction that Changed America

Senator MCCONNELL. Well, I appreciate your adding that. I think everybody in this room remembers the Ann Gotlib case, the now nationally infamous abduction case occurred in Kentucky. But it is an illustration that the problem does occur. We can argue about how infrequently it occurs, but it does happen.

Ms. MUDD. I'd like to add that missing children are not the only children who are currently being abducted. Many children are ab- ducted but do not continue to be missing. I read it in my paper almost every other day, and I've collected quite a few statistics of my own on that. Many children-teenage girls standing at the schoolbus stop waiting for a bus are being forced into a car by gun point and taken to some God-forsaken place and sexually assaulted. These are stranger abductions. They just don't remain missing. We have had children that have been taken from one town to another here in Kentucky and sexually assaulted so, you know, we've had one case recently that involved a man being convicted of four counts of kidnapping, three counts of murder, and three counts of rape, one count of attempted rape, and one count of attempted murder. That's only because the 16-year-old fourth victim saved herself from this man. He had already killed one 15-year-old girl in 1981. So these are the statistics that we are not getting because they have not-they're not gone long enough to be entered into the NCIC. I think that's important. In regard to the map - -
Senator MCCONNELL. We're going to have to wrap it up if we're going to look at the map. You need to put it up here.

Ms. MUDD. These are pictures of children that are taken from the Abuducted Children Directory that is published by the National Child Safety Council, and by no means represent all of the children who are missing or who are considered to be taken by an unknown person. They do not represent runaways, they do not repre- sent parental abductions. There are a few that have been found deceased since the directory has begun-you know, has been in publication, since the national center has been opened. The color denotes the year of abduction. The different colors in-I don't think the issue is statistics on this. I think the issue is that children are being abducted. I think that you can look at this map and see that it's not localized in anyone area of the country. And I think the fact that so many of them have been missing for so long tells us that all of our children could quite possibly be in danger because we don't know that whoever's committing these abductions don't travel. And I think to play down the significance that anybody's child could be in danger, it's just--

Senator MCCONNELL. Disservice.

Ms. MUDD. Hurting children. Yes
https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/102733NCJRS.pdf

Last edited:
Ann Gotlib
gotlib_ann.jpg
gotlib_ann2.jpg
ann_gotlib_3.jpg
ann_gotlib_4.jpg
gotlib_ann6.jpg

Ann, circa 1983
  • Missing Since 06/01/1983
  • Missing From Louisville, Kentucky
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/05/1971 (50)
  • Age 12 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 85 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A red and white t-shirt, navy blue shorts with white stripes on the sides, beige sneakers and gold earrings with purple stones.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Red and white bicycle (accounted for)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Red hair, gray eyes. Ann has facial freckles. She has moles on her lower back. Her ears are pierced. Her eyebrows are very light-colored. Ann is a Russian Jewish immigrant and speaks fluent Russian and English. She arrived in the United States in 1980. She may spell her last name "Gotliv" and some agencies give her first name as "Anna."
Details of Disappearance

Ann was last seen in her hometown of Louisville, Kentucky on June 1, 1983. She was riding her red and white bicycle from the Bashford Manor Mall back to her family's residence between 5:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

Her bicycle was later found propped up against a brick pillar outside of Bacon's Department Store in the mall; a photo of the bicycle is posted with this case summary. Ann never arrived home and has not been heard from again. The mall was across the street from her Gerald Court home.

Three days after Ann's disappearance, a police bloodhound picked up her scent around a ditch near the mall and twice led investigators to the window of an apartment across the street. It was the residence of Ester Okmyansky, the grandmother of Ann's best friend, Tanya Okmyansky.

Tanya was the last person to see Ann before she vanished. Ester said Ann had never visited her apartment. Officials eventually concluded that the dog erred when distracted by the smell of cooking food. The entire family was checked and all were cleared of involvement.

There was speculation that Ann ran because she was having trouble adjusting to life in America. Her loved ones say she was not unusually anxious and, if she had decided to run away, she would probably have contacted them eventually or taken money and her favorite possessions.

There were several reported sightings of her, particularly in the Brighton Beach neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, which has a high concentration of Russian immigrants. None of the sightings were ever substantiated, however.

A theory that Ann was kidnapped by agents of the Soviet government in an attempt to force her family to return to that country has been discarded.

In December 2008, authorities announced they believed Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr. was responsible for Ann's abduction and murder.

He had once abducted his stepdaughter and injected her with a painkiller drug to sedate her. He was charged with attempted murder in that case, but eventually pleaded guilty to assault. In September 1983, Oakley attacked a police officer's thirteen-year-old daughter in her home, stabbed her and attempted to rape her. She survived.

Oakley was arrested for the crime in January 1984 and was then questioned about Ann's case. He denied involvement, but he failed a polygraph test and bank records proved he made an ATM transaction at the Bashford Manor Mall just 100 minutes before Ann disappeared. Oakley stated he left Louisville on a business trip immediately after he finished at the bank.

In June 1984, Oakley was convicted of burglary and attempted rape and sentenced to 30 years in prison. He was paroled on medical grounds in 2002, returned to his native Alabama and died of lung cancer months later.

In September 2008, an inmate who had served time in prison with Oakley told authorities Oakley had killed Ann with an injection of the painkiller Talwin. He was a veterinarian and would have had easy access to the drug.

The informant passed a polygraph about his information, and Oakley's former girlfriend corroborated the story. She stated that at 11:00 p.m. on the night Ann disappeared, Oakley came to her Louisville home and asked her to wash some clothes for him. This contradicts his story that he left Louisville that afternoon, before Ann disappeared.

Investigators stated if Oakley was alive today, based on the evidence now available, he would be charged with Ann's murder.

The investigation into Ann's case remains active, and authorities hope they can find her body. Her parents still live in the Louisville area and are hopeful that the case will someday be resolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Louisville, Kentucky Office
  • 502-583-3941
Source Information

5916a106-5696-4706-abba-a0f8c1e7403f_1920x1080.jpg

Handy is accused of lying on the stand during the 1995 murder trial of Edwin Chandler, who was accused of murdering Brenda Whitfield in 1993. According to the prosecution, Handy had lied on the witness stand, taped over evidence and coerced a false confession from Chandler. Chandler was wrongfully convicted and served nine years in prison. He was cleared in 2009 and exonerated in 2012. Louisville Metro Government paid Chandler $8.5 million as part of a settlement.

Handy was also named in a federal lawsuit after a conviction was overturned in a different murder trial from the 1990s. One of the defendants filed a federal lawsuit, claiming Handy, "coerced confessions" from the suspects by lying to them about "evidence against them".

Handy pleaded guilty to one count of perjury and one count of tampering with physical evidence in April of 2021. He was sentenced to one year in prison but was released less than three weeks into the sentence.

https://interactive.whas11.com/pdfs/gotlib-march16.pdf

Back in 1989, when Handy took the call about Ann Gotlib, he sent a uniformed car to the area to look for the girl, according to the police report. The caller reported seeing a girl who looked like Gotlib riding a bike on Shelby Street and then Burnett Avenue. Handy advised he would follow up if the officer found her and that concluded the conversation.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Another dive into the decades-old records has revealed new information on the Ann Gotlib case, including proof that a controversial officer worked on the investigation.

It was 1989, and Ann had been missing for eight years. She would be a young woman at this point, but sightings reporting little girls on bikes continued pouring in. On November 13, a caller asked to speak with a detective about a possible sighting and Louisville Police Detective Mark Handy took the call.

If the name sounds familiar, this might be why: Handy pleaded guilty to framing innocent people and sending them to prison in 2021.

Handy is accused of lying on the stand during the 1995 murder trial of Edwin Chandler, who was accused of murdering Brenda Whitfield in 1993. According to the prosecution, Handy had lied on the witness stand, taped over evidence and coerced a false confession from Chandler. Chandler was wrongfully convicted and served nine years in prison. He was cleared in 2009 and exonerated in 2012. Louisville Metro Government paid Chandler $8.5 million as part of a settlement.

Handy was also named in a federal lawsuit after a conviction was overturned in a different murder trial from the 1990s. One of the defendants filed a federal lawsuit, claiming Handy, "coerced confessions" from the suspects by lying to them about "evidence against them".

Handy pleaded guilty to one count of perjury and one count of tampering with physical evidence in April of 2021. He was sentenced to one year in prison but was released less than three weeks into the sentence.

Back in 1989, when Handy took the call about Ann Gotlib, he sent a uniformed car to the area to look for the girl, according to the police report. The caller reported seeing a girl who looked like Gotlib riding a bike on Shelby Street and then Burnett Avenue. Handy advised he would follow up if the officer found her and that concluded the conversation.

When WHAS11 asked Gotlib's parents how they believe the case was handled, they said their feelings are mixed - and they do believe mistakes were made.

"As much as we appreciated the dedication of the people who were working on the case, there was some moments that caused our dissatisfaction on the handling of the case,' Lyudmila Gotlib, Ann Gotlib's mother, said
Ann Gotlib: LMPD's Mark Handy handled part of the case | whas11.com

This June will mark 40 years since Ann Gotlib went missing.

I think of her every time I pass the Bashford Manor and the Jewish Community Center areas... I just can't help it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back