KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t Mattingly ask another officer to find out if JG received a USPS package at BT’s house?
That’s involved. IMO

“Sgt. Mattingly stated he told Detective Jaynes there was no package history at that address,” Salyer told investigators.

Internal investigation: Louisville police told no 'suspicious' packages sent to Breonna Taylor's home

Daniel Cameron: (07:22)
Sergeant Mattingly and Detectives Cosgrave and Hankison had no known involvement in the proceeding investigation or obtainment of the search warrant.

Maybe Salyers was mistaken. Is he the Shively officer?

Last edited:
@dctello
Judge Mary Shaw says she's concerned a detective may have lied to get the warrant for Breonna Taylor's home. Records show LMPD officers were told no packages for Jamarcus Glover had been delivered in the months before she was shot and killed:
Records obtained by The Courier Journal and show that Louisville police were told before the March 13 raid that no packages "suspicious or otherwise" had been delivered to Glover at Taylor's residence in the months before she was shot and killed by police executing a no-knock search warrant.

And they indicate that Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was shot and wounded during the search, had a larger role in verifying information with the postal inspector's office than previously stated.
"Do you remember the name of the target on the search warrant?" an investigator asked the sergeant.
"Not offhand," Mattingly said. "We didn't write it. We didn't do any of the investigation. We did none of the background."

But a detailed investigative report written more than a month after police fatally shot Taylor suggested that it was Mattingly, not Jaynes, who'd asked the postal service whether Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's apartment.

"I verified through Sgt. J. Mattingly of LMPD, who contacted the postal service, that Jamarcus Glover had been receiving packages at 3003 Springfield Drive #4," Jaynes wrote in the report...
Breonna Taylor case: Judge concerned LMPD cop lied to get warrant

Louisville cops were 'repeatedly told that Breonna Taylor was NOT receiving packages for her ex-boyfriend' but they still insisted on raiding her apartment as part of drugs probe
  • Police wanted to search Taylor's apartment as part of an investigation into her ex-boyfriend Jamarcus Glover
  • They claim they suspected that he was picking up packages at the Louisville apartment
  • The cops alleged he once drove from Taylor's to a 'known drug house' with mail
  • But the postal service repeatedly told police no packages were being sent to Taylor's home
  • It's unclear if they asked about UPS or Fedex packages, but they insisted on raiding Taylor's apartment
  • That is when she was killed in the crossfire between her next boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, and the cops involved
  • Only one of the three cops has been indicted over the incident and the charge is wanton endangerment, not murder
  • Recordings of police interviews that were shown to the grand jury will be released on Friday
  • Louisville cops were 'repeatedly told that Breonna Taylor was NOT receiving packages for her ex' | Daily Mail Online

@dctello
Judge Mary Shaw says she's concerned a detective may have lied to get the warrant for Breonna Taylor's home. Records show LMPD officers were told no packages for Jamarcus Glover had been delivered in the months before she was shot and killed:
Records obtained by The Courier Journal and show that Louisville police were told before the March 13 raid that no packages "suspicious or otherwise" had been delivered to Glover at Taylor's residence in the months before she was shot and killed by police executing a no-knock search warrant.

And they indicate that Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, who was shot and wounded during the search, had a larger role in verifying information with the postal inspector's office than previously stated.
"Do you remember the name of the target on the search warrant?" an investigator asked the sergeant.
"Not offhand," Mattingly said. "We didn't write it. We didn't do any of the investigation. We did none of the background."

But a detailed investigative report written more than a month after police fatally shot Taylor suggested that it was Mattingly, not Jaynes, who'd asked the postal service whether Glover was receiving packages at Taylor's apartment.

"I verified through Sgt. J. Mattingly of LMPD, who contacted the postal service, that Jamarcus Glover had been receiving packages at 3003 Springfield Drive #4," Jaynes wrote in the report...
Breonna Taylor case: Judge concerned LMPD cop lied to get warrant

According to the search warrant, JG was seen on camera picking up the package from Breonna's apartment in January. They wouldn't need a Postal inspector's evidence for the search warrant if they actually have it on camera. I have also posted the article containing the copy of the search warrant on page 4 of the media thread. So I think the postal inspector's evidence is immaterial as it is not on the search warrant. It's a red herring IMO.

But he said his team walked them through the homicide options. Is he lying about that? I believe they did not spend 20 hrs just talking about wanton endangerment.
Let me ask, if it was KW who was shot 5 times and killed and not Breonna, would you think any differently? Is it just that you dont believe LE have the same right of self defence as everyone else?

ETA that link won't load for me so can you paste the relevant bit ?
BBM I agree. We can’t continue to send our policemen into untenable situations and then try to charge them with murder when they defend themselves, this after following their orders and the law. Change the no-knock law, which I believe is happening.

They definitely knocked but what is up in the air is if they actually announced. Only one witness said they announced themselves and that witness wavered on it back and forth.

I'm wondering what percentage of actual armed robbers knock on the door in Louisville. I'm not being sarcastic. If someone knocks on my door, my automatic assumption is they are here for a valid reason. In Louisville? Maybe not. I dunno. JMO.

I'm wondering what percentage of actual armed robbers knock on the door in Louisville. I'm not being sarcastic. If someone knocks on my door, my automatic assumption is they are here for a valid reason. In Louisville? Maybe not. I dunno. JMO.

As a survivor/victim of a violent crime, I can sit here today and say that not all knocks at the door are harmless: people wanting a cup of sugar, to say hello, or innocently needing your help. Sometimes the knock on a door is a really bad person who wants to harm you. Sometimes the knock on the door is someone who hadn't harmed you before but is there to harm you now. Sometimes the knock on the door is a way of seeing if someone is home or not. Sometimes the knock on the door is loud while other times it is quiet. If you aren't expecting someone a quiet knock or a battered down door is the most terrifying thing that can happen to you. It can happen in Louisville, a safe suburb, a tawny address or wherever.

In my experience, the percentages don't matter because you just might be the unlucky one or your child is the unlucky one or you and your child are the unlucky one. You can have close relatives that are LE and it doesn't help if you just happen to be in that unfortunate percentage group.

Last edited:

The "knock", which has been disputed if it even occurred - think more like battering ram - was at about 12:30am - hardly an ideal time and reason for someone looking for a cup of sugar or selling cookies.

Breonna Taylor grand jury recordings live updates: What to know
AG Cameron released a statement saying the redacted portions of the 20 hours totaled three minutes and fifty seconds. "Juror deliberations and prosecutor recommendations and statements were not recorded, as they are not evidence,".
“It was supposed to be her and her kid, maybe even her and a small child there. So that’s why we decided to knock. It was a no-knock warrant, but we wanted to give her time. … You could hear movement but there was no answer so (Mattingly) and I decided, let’s go ahead and hit it.”

"Reload, reload." A different neighbor said she heard police say, "Reload, reload, let's do what we need to do," the attorney general's office told jurors.

Detective Herman Hall, of the attorney general's office, told the grand jury on its final day that no drugs were found in Taylor's apartment, which was known. Responding to questions from the grand jury, he also said there was no master plan for the search other than what was written on a white board.

Hall also was asked why the officers involved in the raid were not wearing body cameras.
“I can’t answer that,” he said. “I don’t know why body-cams weren’t used for that.”

“The warrant was … a no-knock warrant,” Fogg said. “They decided to serve it as a knock warrant, a knock-and-announce.”
Fogg does not elaborate at that point how he concluded the warrant was served as a knock-and-announce.

@TessaDuvall
An investigator said Summer Dickerson heard the shooting and called 911. She recognized an officer on-scene and asks what happened. “Some drug-dealing girl shot at the police,” the officer responded.

@JasonRileyWDRB
"An investigator with Cameron's office relayed an interview with a neighbor who lived directly next door to Taylor who said he 'knows for a fact nobody announced' themselves as police."
"She receives his packages and held his money," Mattingly told grand jury of Taylor
Again, LMPD officers were repeatedly told there was nothing of interest being sent to Taylor's home. No money, drugs or packages of interest were found in Taylor's apartment.

@robferdman
At one point on the first day of grand jury deliberations, one of the prosecutors laments to the jurors that they can’t play all the body cam videos because of time. A juror responds loudly: “We got time!”

@WFPLNews
Grand jury recordings update: According to testimony, there was no body camera footage until after the incident. Tony James, an LMPD officer who was photographed wearing a body camera after #BreonnaTaylor was shot and killed, thought he had activated it but he hadn’t.
Though other officers weren’t wearing body cameras, his failure to activate his would constitute a violation of LMPD’s rules.

Last edited:
Breonna Taylor tapes: Hear grand jury audio recordings from case
*"The original version of the press release incorrectly stated that the GJ recordings released today are approximately 20 hours in length. The recordings are approximately 15 hours in length."

BH says the “subject is still inside barricading” with long rifles. “Looks like AR,” Hankison says over the radio.
The AG’s investigator leading the grand jury through the evidence is not heard telling jurors that officers in fact did not encounter gunfire from an AR-15 or any other long rifles, and that Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was armed with only the 9mm handgun he legally owned.
"SWA T sergeant says officers "cannot fire into an unknown" "That’s basic academy stuff"
“No… you’re accountable for every round. If you do not have good target ID identification... you cannot shoot”.

Etherton told Hall that he saw Taylor's front door busted open, so he looked into her apartment but it was dark and he couldn't see anything.
He walked past the stairwell and saw the police officers and one officer saw him, and the officers were yelling at him to get back into his apartment. He did hear Walker from inside Taylor's apartment saying, "Baby breathe, baby breathe."
Neighbor Jack Schuler said there were so many gunshots it sounded like he was at the "OK Corral."

@TessaDuvall
Grand jurors pressed for details on the warrant for Breonna Taylor's home. and were told“We focused the investigation that we’re presenting ... but the officers were executing a valid search warrant. The officers that served this warrant were acting in good faith.”
But, as we reported yesterday, there are concerns about the warrant.

@JasonRileyWDRB
Cosrove testified to PIU that while officers had a no-knock warrant for Taylor's home, they were urged in briefing "not to hit the door
Cosgrove told PIU said he heard officers knock and announce at Taylor's apartment for about 1 minute. Then I hear some "challenge words, I believe Hankison is challenging somebody." He said Hankison is "challenging a male individual who is standing in open door"
There's quite a bit of shouting going on," Cosgrove said of Taylor's neighbor and Hankison. Believes the man said, "Leave that girl alone." The command to hit door is given after about two minutes, he said.
Cosgrove told police investigators he was right behind Mattingly going into the apartment when he saw "white flashes." "I know that Jon has been injured," he said. Said he continues to see flashes. "This all began in seconds. Seconds. It is muted. There is no sound"
Cosgrove testifies he doesn't recall many details of the shooting. He said he saw "this shadowy figure" & had tunnel vision. "I did not have any hand sensation or any recollection that, that, I'm firing a gun. If you told me I didn't fire a gun I'd be like 'Okay, I believe you'"

@robferdman
On day two of grand jury tapes, a juror asks about what Detective Hankison does immediately after the incident. Prosecutor says after the incident Louisville provides a peer suport officer. Juror (correctly) points out that that doesn’t seem to have happened. Prosecutor moves on.

Last edited:
So LE admits that there were "issues" with how the warrant was obtained.
And they also admit that the knew Jamarcus Glover was in police custody before they raided Breonna's apartment.

And KY AG did not see fit to tell the Grand Jurors about the "issues" about how the warrant was obtained. Gloss over that part and hope the GJ doesn't ask anymore ? about that.

And he did not see fit to give the Grand Jurors to indict on any other charges than wanton endangerment for 1 officer.

So go to a "soft target" in the middle of the night when the main suspect is already in custody and know by LE. And then don't even execute the search warrant they you broke the door down for.

IMO
The KY AG Daniel Cameron needs to resign from office or be politely asked for his resignation.
Unfreakinbelievable.

Fogg admits during the grand jury presentation that there were issues with how the warrant was obtained.

Fogg tells the jurors "the officers were executing a valid search warrant. The officers that served this search warrant were acting in good faith."

During the records, we can hear jurors ask several questions about the timing of the warrant that was being served, and if officers knew that Jamarcus Glover (one of the main targets in the drug investigation that led to the raid on Taylor's apartment) was already in custody. Fogg told the jurors that the officers were aware.

Jurors also asked why Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly didn't have a shield before going into Taylor's apartment. Detective Tony James had the shield but was not in the front.

Here's a breakdown of what's discussed in each recording in the Breonna Taylor probe

AG Cameron released a statement saying the redacted portions of the 20 hours totaled three minutes and fifty seconds. "Juror deliberations and prosecutor recommendations and statements were not recorded, as they are not evidence,".
“It was supposed to be her and her kid, maybe even her and a small child there. So that’s why we decided to knock. It was a no-knock warrant, but we wanted to give her time. … You could hear movement but there was no answer so (Mattingly) and I decided, let’s go ahead and hit it.”

"Reload, reload." A different neighbor said she heard police say, "Reload, reload, let's do what we need to do," the attorney general's office told jurors.

Detective Herman Hall, of the attorney general's office, told the grand jury on its final day that no drugs were found in Taylor's apartment, which was known. Responding to questions from the grand jury, he also said there was no master plan for the search other than what was written on a white board.

Hall also was asked why the officers involved in the raid were not wearing body cameras.
“I can’t answer that,” he said. “I don’t know why body-cams weren’t used for that.”

“The warrant was … a no-knock warrant,” Fogg said. “They decided to serve it as a knock warrant, a knock-and-announce.”
Fogg does not elaborate at that point how he concluded the warrant was served as a knock-and-announce.

@TessaDuvall
An investigator said Summer Dickerson heard the shooting and called 911. She recognized an officer on-scene and asks what happened. “Some drug-dealing girl shot at the police,” the officer responded.

@JasonRileyWDRB
"An investigator with Cameron's office relayed an interview with a neighbor who lived directly next door to Taylor who said he 'knows for a fact nobody announced' themselves as police."
"She receives his packages and held his money," Mattingly told grand jury of Taylor
Again, LMPD officers were repeatedly told there was nothing of interest being sent to Taylor's home. No money, drugs or packages of interest were found in Taylor's apartment.

@robferdman
At one point on the first day of grand jury deliberations, one of the prosecutors laments to the jurors that they can’t play all the body cam videos because of time. A juror responds loudly: “We got time!”

@WFPLNews
Grand jury recordings update: According to testimony, there was no body camera footage until after the incident. Tony James, an LMPD officer who was photographed wearing a body camera after #BreonnaTaylor was shot and killed, thought he had activated it but he hadn’t.
Though other officers weren’t wearing body cameras, his failure to activate his would constitute a violation of LMPD’s rules.

So prosecutor recommendations and statements to the GJ are not recorded how convenient.
And then there is not "time" to show the GJ the body cam tapes.
The main reason for these being released it to see what was and was not presented to the GJ, well we know they saw no body cam. WHY? And the prosecutor's statements and recommendations were not taped again WHY?
I hope when the transcripts are released the statements and recommendations were at least transcribed.
And someone needs to release all of the body cam footage that is available.
This whole case stinks..what are they hiding???

So let me see if I have this right.The statements and recommendations that were given to the GJ by the AG office were not taped? (how convenient) and when the GJ asked to see the body cams that LE did have they were told there was not enough time to show them to the GJ.
I hope and pray that when the transcripts are released that everything the AG's office said to the GJ was transcribed, and it is high time for all the body cam footage that still may not have yet been released to be released, we all have time to watch them.
What is being hidden in this case?? Don't record some statements or show whatever body cam footage there is, don't tell the GJ that there were "issues" with the warrant, and don't tell the public all of the info that the GJ was told. These are some of the main reasons the GJ recording and transcripts were ordered released by a Judge.
This case is so rotten
Breonna, Kenneth and your families and friends I am so sorry you were treated like this.

What the AG said to the GJ does not change two facts of the tragic event.
1) Breanna was still in contact with her drug dealing ex-boyfriend and if it was not for that continued contact and Breanna letting the ex use her address as his own the officers would not have been at her apartment that night.

2) the officers had a legal warrant to enter Breanna's apartment.

Breanna's death was a tragedy but the police officers legally entered the apartment, were shot at and returned fire and a young woman died. Heartbreaking and tragic but not caused by criminal actions by the officers.

If you have evidence that proves the officers entering Breanna's apartment were doing so illegally please provide a link to an official statement or document. Please do not provide links to statements made by Breanna's family attorney or the officer's attorney advocating for their client because that is not evidence.

What the AG said to the GJ does not change two facts of the tragic event.
1) Breanna was still in contact with her drug dealing ex-boyfriend and if it was not for that continued contact and Breanna letting the ex use her address as his own the officers would not have been at her apartment that night.

2) the officers had a legal warrant to enter Breanna's apartment.

Breanna's death was a tragedy but the police officers legally entered the apartment, were shot at and returned fire and a young woman died. Heartbreaking and tragic but not caused by criminal actions by the officers.

If you have evidence that proves the officers entering Breanna's apartment were doing so illegally please provide a link to an official statement or document. Please do not provide links to statements made by Breanna's family attorney or the officer's attorney advocating for their client because that is not evidence.
When even the Judge who signed the warrant feels that she was lied to about the information to get the warrant that is all I
Need to hear, when an officer tells the GJ there were "issues" with how the warrant was obtained there is a problem.

Its makes no sense to say that of the defense attorneys weight in on this subject you won't "believe" that statement is about as hypocritical as I have heard to pick and choose what to believe and not to is just as one sided of a conversation as I have heard.

Would it be fair for me/us to say well if the prosector's say something about this case don't post a link?

The link below may be behind a paywall so here is a copy and paste to some of the article. Upthread I posted links to all of the GJ recordings feel free to listen to them, they are straight out of the AG and the and the detective mouths.

Then after breaking into the house they did not even execute the search warrant, so legally did they just break and enter?

No packages had been delivered to Breonnas house for JG for "months" LE were told that from the Postal Inspector as well as the packages that were delivered 2 months earlier they were not "suspicious" LE had done surveillance on Breonnas apartment and knew that JG had not picked up packages in at least 2 months.

And then top it off with the evidence that LE had JG in custody before breaking down her door, a fact that the LE officer who conducted her raid knew before breaking into a "soft target"
In the middle of the night with plain clothed officers in unmarked cars.

But I do agree Breonna's death is a tragedy.

Judge says she is 'concerned' detective may have lied to get Breonna Taylor search warrant
Andrew WolfsonDarcy CostelloTessa Duvall
Louisville Courier Journal

View Comments
which has been investigating the search warrant application for Taylor's apartment that led to the fatal raid.

The Courier Journal asked Shaw if she intended to demand that Detective Joshua Jaynes show why he shouldn’t be held in contempt for swearing in an affidavit that he “verified through a U.S. Postal Inspector that suspected drug dealer Jamarcus Glover has been receiving packages” at Taylor’s home.

2af46cff-e113-45c6-8f31-f45c2dcc418d-Joshua_Jaynes_photo.jpg

Records obtained by The Courier Journal and first reported by WDRB show that Louisville police were told before the March 13 raid that no packages "suspicious or otherwise" had been delivered to Glover at Taylor's residence in the months before she was shot and killed by police executing a no-knock search warrant.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/breonna-taylor/2020/10/01/breonna-taylor-case-judge-concerned-lmpd-cop-lied-get-warrant/5883362002/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks