Found Safe KY - Charlee Campbell, 2, *autistic* & Pitbull Terrier Named Penny, Bullitt County, 7 Jun 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am sure that she is, but wouldn't it be nice if one of her parents would step up to the mark.

After having read through all the media, it seems like all the adults in this poor child's life are wanting in some way. Her mother's boyfriend is a felon who has a violent history and who, at the outset of this ordeal, had outstanding warrants for his arrest. The mother herself doesn't have custody, for unknown reasons. Charlee's father not only doesn't have custody, but he's been denied visitation rights, which is pretty serious. And the grandparents... well, I won't say anything more about them. :rolleyes:
Her world seems bleak from my perspective. But, sadly, it's the only world she knows.

And maybe a wake up call to her parents to step up and be parents.

Well, her dad has been denied visitation rights and her mom’s boyfriend had outstanding warrants.

Her dog Penny loves and protects her better than the adults in her life.

I would hate to see her taken from her grandparents (and Penny!!) but maybe the grandparents could benefit from parenting classes or assistance in some way.

I am so freakin' grateful Charlee was found safe and sound. I'm not religious, but I thanked God for this miracle.
The grandparents need to be more vigilant with a toddler in the house, especially one with special needs. They got so lucky this time, the outcome could have been much, much worse. They need to look at this as a wake up call and act accordingly, and I don't care how mean I sound, they need to be investigated by CPS to determine whether they are fit to keep that child. Her safety and wellbeing comes before them.
As the mother of an autistic child, I would never sleep so late, actually, I never could, he was up at the crack of dawn, sometimes, in the wee hours of the morning. As a toddler, we'd find him curled up on the couch with the tv. on dim, so as not to wake us. He was that clever.
I thank God everyday he wasn't a wanderer, like some autistic children, and didn't have the motor skills to open the door. But even without special needs, my friends had toddlers who would wake up before them and go wandering around the neighborhood. My friend got a call one morning from the police department, just as she discovered her 3 year old had gotten out, asking her if her little boy was missing and was his name XYZ. And yes, she was reported to DHHS and they investigated. I think she ended up with 3 devices on her doors to prevent him from escaping.

Prime rib for Penny! Whatever comes out of this - those 2 should never be separated. Where Charlee goes, Penny goes, not optional. Some gravy for Penny. More prime rib. Couple bags of cookies. :D

'A miracle': 2-year-old Charlee Campbell has been found after missing for almost two days. This is the moment she arrived at the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office safely. (Full story: 'I can't believe she survived it': Police confirm 2-year-old Charlee Campbell found safe)
Thanks for this link and the video. I'm not sure if that's Charlee's grandfather who has custody, but it looks like he had the presence of mind to bring her what must be her favorite teddy bear. And she held onto it tight.

I think this is one of those miracles I'm always asking for but rarely get to witness occurring.

Now I'm just wishing for an update on Penny.

Here is Charlee and her bear:

a3321e.jpg

So thankful they were both found safe. Have there been any reports of Charlee being evaluated at a hospital? Two days without water, I'm surprised she was still conscious to be honest.

Yes, she was taken to a hospital. Earlier there was video of her grandfather carrying her to a rescue unit. IIRC, they'd given her water in the sheriff's office but she couldn't keep it down so they wanted to make sure she was ok. Haven't seen an update on her condition but hopefully no news is good news.

Missing Kentucky 2-year-old found safe after 28-hour search

Police say the child was taken to a Louisville hospital with no apparent serious injuries but said she appeared dehydrated and had several tick bites.

I guess I've always heard wrong. I've always been told that they can pick up the scent of blood, bones, body parts, and other body tissue. As long as it isn't still in a living body, it decomposes. Learn something new every day, I'll have to do more research on what people tell me before I repeat it. Oops.

Ok, I found a couple of great articles on cadaver dogs

The CSI death dogs: Sniffing out the truth behind the crime-scene

“No one knows exactly what dogs are smelling when they indicate the possible presence of remains. Well-trained cadaver dogs will not flag a living person or an animal. Possible scents include two byproducts of decomposition: putrescine and cadaverine. Although these compounds are common to all decaying material, an ace cadaver dog has such fine-tuned senses, it can differentiate human remains from most animals’. ”

https://slate.janrainsso.com//static/server.html?origin=http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/04/etan_patz_search_renewed_can_cadaver_dogs_smell_30_year_old_corpses_.html

Yes, she was taken to a hospital. Earlier there was video of her grandfather carrying her to a rescue unit. IIRC, they'd given her water in the sheriff's office but she couldn't keep it down so they wanted to make sure she was ok. Haven't seen an update on her condition but hopefully no news is good news.

Missing Kentucky 2-year-old found safe after 28-hour search
That makes sense. When someone is seriously dehydrated, IV fluids are the best way to go.

Video at link:

Man who found Bullitt County girl: 'There are no words, except God'
Wayne Brown, who discovered Charlee, saw her blonde hair from through his back door and wasn't immediately sure it was her. But when his family saw Charlee's "Frozen" pajamas, they knew. Officials had released her clothing, height and weight the day before.
Charlee spent the night at the hospital for observation and to help for her dehydration. Penny is also doing well — and has been getting some extra treats, Campbell said. She's even gotten a cheeseburger or two.

I can see a picture gallery at this link, but no interview. Penny looks fine. :)

Grandmother of found Bullitt Co. girl recounts ordeal
636641563833006742-file1.jpeg

BBM - She certainly does. She is positively smiling from ear to ear. I love that she's had a couple of cheeseburgers, too.

I wonder if they would consider taking a scent dog out to look for Charlee's PJ bottoms and/or her diaper? If they had a bit of luck and found them, the location might offer some clues as to where she was.

I know it's a long shot, though.

Maybe we should just accept the miracle with no questions asked, but it's all so curious and concerning.

Last edited:
I guess I've always heard wrong. I've always been told that they can pick up the scent of blood, bones, body parts, and other body tissue. As long as it isn't still in a living body, it decomposes. Learn something new every day, I'll have to do more research on what people tell me before I repeat it. Oops.
You are correct. Human remains detection dogs are trained on different types of human remains: bones, blood, hair, nails, placenta, etc. Most handlers don’t have access to actual cadavers and in real life the body could be in various stages of decomp.

I still wonder what the cadaver dogs were interested in at the pool. Four different dogs independently hit on the pool, one fog even jumped in

When that was reported I was absolutely sick, and just certain this wouldn’t end well.

Extremely happy that everything turned out the way it did, Charlee and Penny are safe.

But still........what is up with that pool?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomirrin
Back