KY KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shay said in the podcast or interview with FBI (I can't remember which) but she thinks this is the first time investigators searched Crystal's storage unit. I don't understand that and find it hard to believe. Did LE 5 years ago not think her storage unit would be important especially if she is missing?
If you watched the Oxygen series where we learned due to financial concerns they were only allowed to submit 10 pieces of evidence much to our dismay. KSP and FBI have unlimited resources and IMO are not limited in the number of items they can submit for forensics and evidence. In hindsight it may have been a blessing that Crystal’s storage unit and car were maintained all these years and I’m hopeful time will tell the tale that we all want to come to light. Again, bless all these families and the residents of Bardstown who most likely have been living in a constant state of fear and unrest. IMO

Shay said in the podcast or interview with FBI (I can't remember which) but she thinks this is the first time investigators searched Crystal's storage unit. I don't understand that and find it hard to believe. Did LE 5 years ago not think her storage unit would be important especially if she is missing?
If you watched the Oxygen series where we learned due to financial concerns they were only allowed to submit 10 pieces of evidence much to our dismay. KSP and FBI have unlimited resources and IMO are not limited in the number of items they can submit for forensics and evidence. In hindsight it may have been a blessing that Crystal’s storage unit and car were maintained all these years and I’m hopeful time will tell the tale that we all want to come to light. Again, bless all these families and the residents of Bardstown who most likely have been living in a constant state of fear and unrest. IMO
ETA we also learned that Tommy and Casey Ballard had been through the contents of Crystal’s storage unit and this may have lead to some of the information Tommy was privy to and further investigating. We may never know what they discovered but I believe part of the reason Tommy was killed was because he was on to something. In light of local LE’s investigation or lack thereof what could they have done with any info they gained and who could they have entrusted given the state of affairs? Again it may be a blessing! IMO

Last edited:
ETA we also learned that Tommy and Casey Ballard had been through the contents of Crystal’s storage unit and this may have lead to some of the information Tommy was privy to and further investigating. We may never know what they discovered but I believe part of the reason Tommy was killed was because he was on to something. In light of local LE’s investigation or lack thereof what could they have done with any info they gained and who could they have entrusted given the state of affairs? Again it may be a blessing! IMO

I understand the financial concerns and they were only allowed to submit a limited number of evidence but I don’t understand why they wouldn’t obtained a search warrant to at least search the storage unit. I mean just looking to see if they have any clues or important information that they can use. If Tommy might have found information in there and I heard in the interview that the FBI found possible important information too, it would have been worth looking at. IMO But I’m praying for justice for her and her family :)

I understand the financial concerns and they were only allowed to submit a limited number of evidence but I don’t understand why they wouldn’t obtained a search warrant to at least search the storage unit. I mean just looking to see if they have any clues or important information that they can use. If Tommy might have found information in there and I heard in the interview that the FBI found possible important information too, it would have been worth looking at. IMO But I’m praying for justice for her and her family :)
Perhaps neither Tommy, Casey or Sherry trusted local LE with the storage unit information. I certainly wouldn’t have given the circumstances.
I join you in hopes of justice for the Ballards, Netherlands and the Ellis families. Heartbreaking to say the least.

Surly if The father found info that he felt strongly led to his daughter or her killer he would have confided in someone. Is there any rumors floating around about him telling someone?

I’m not sure. Early on when the remains were found, she had posted about how there should be an ID by the end of the week. It was that first video she post she made about how the remains were found within 4 miles of the farm on Paschal Ballard. That info had to come from somewhere, even though she was wrong about them being identified that quick. The next day Nelson Co SO released a statement about how they didn’t have a timeline for the ID and hadn’t given one to any media so I assume that was in response to her video. She took it down but I’ve always wondered where she got that from. It had to come from someone...even though it wasn’t right. Or maybe it was right and there was some kind of preliminary thing that we would have no idea about but someone in LE would.

The FBI are the ones who stated that the bones/identity, should be released within 1 week. The FBI went to Crystal's mother after the first week passed, that it is taking more than initially believed to id the remains.

I thought it was interesting that Sherry Ballard mentioned that she didn’t think Tommy Ballard was close to finding something when he was killed. I always assumed he was murdered because he wasn’t ever going to stop looking for Crystal and he was always outspoken about that.

Sherry Ballard hopeful for answers in husband case | whas11.com

I thought it was interesting that Sherry Ballard mentioned that she didn’t think Tommy Ballard was close to finding something when he was killed. I always assumed he was murdered because he wasn’t ever going to stop looking for Crystal and he was always outspoken about that.

I agree. I think he was killed because they believed that if he was gone then the the rest would stop looking and it would all just go away.

Maybe he wasn’t close to an answer, BUT the killer thought he was close. It might be interesting to know a week or two before the fathers death who had been asking him how close he thought he was or what he knew thus far. Maybe the killer misinterpreted how close he wasn’t or was.

Maybe he wasn’t close to an answer, BUT the killer thought he was close. It might be interesting to know a week or two before the fathers death who had been asking him how close he thought he was or what he knew thus far. Maybe the killer misinterpreted how close he wasn’t or was.

It’s definitely possible. It’s just always bothered me that the oxygen show really kind of played up the angle that he had something big he was about to uncover but was killed before he could reveal whatever it was. I genuinely believe that if he had something like that- he would’ve shared it with LE, at the very least. The show also kind of leaned into the narrative of police corruption in the county but the Ballard’s also had connections to LE. I don’t think he would’ve been walking around with something that could’ve solved his daughters case.

I think whoever killed him completely underestimated how much her family would continue to advocate for her.

It’s definitely possible. It’s just always bothered me that the oxygen show really kind of played up the angle that he had something big he was about to uncover but was killed before he could reveal whatever it was. I genuinely believe that if he had something like that- he would’ve shared it with LE, at the very least. The show also kind of leaned into the narrative of police corruption in the county but the Ballard’s also had connections to LE. I don’t think he would’ve been walking around with something that could’ve solved his daughters case.

I think whoever killed him completely underestimated how much her family would continue to advocate for her.

Do you know if the town PD has changed leadership and personnel in the last 2 years? TIA

Do you know if the town PD has changed leadership and personnel in the last 2 years? TIA

Not really in the last two years. The current chief of police has been in her position since 2017.

There was a lot of turnover after Chief McCubbin’s retired in June 2016. He had been out on sick leave and when he came back, Mayor Royalty has made some promotions and demotions and McCubbins didn’t appreciate that (rightfully so). Mayor Royal ended up being removed from office in April 2017. He signed some kind of agreement to avoid jail time for abusing his power and violating privacy laws. They had an outside firm come in to investigate him. The city council voted in Mayor Heaton in April 2017 and he’s the current mayor. He had served as mayor before, back in 2007.

McKenzie Mattingly (definitely google him if you get bored) served as interim chief for a while and then Steve Uram was chief of police from November 2017-June 2017 until mayor Heaton fired him. I still don’t know why. Part of the reason had something to do with 8 officers leaving the department but he said that was out of his control.

Marksbury was appointed interim chief afterwards until Kim Kraeszig was sworn in. She’s the current chief of police and has been since 2017. Those are all of the “big” positions that have turned over. There’s a copy of the findings online from the private investigator that was hired to look into potential misconduct of Mayor Royalty. It’s an interesting read.

That is interesting. And as you mentioned in another post, it seemed like the Oxygen series was trying to play up Tommy possibly being on the verge of uncovering some sort of a bigger conspiracy just prior to his murder (I recall one interviewer mention that he had learned that this “goes far beyond Bardstown). To me, his doggedness in searching for his daughter and uncovering the truth was a more likely driving force.

In my opinion, the location and manner of Tommy’s murder significantly narrows the pool of potential culprits. It’s not like he was murdered at home, at work, or at a store he visited every day or two. The murderer or someone close to him had to either (1) know Tommy well enough to know that he would be hunting in that field or general area on the opening day of deer season, or have heard that he would be doing so (someone knowing he’d be there hunting on opening day is the most likely scenario, in my opinion), or (2) been surveilling him. It was just so brazen and well executed to walk from a car on the parkway to the fence line, assassinate him in front of his grandson with his son also reasonably near, and then escape undetected (presumably via the parkway). The killer must have been very confident Tommy would be there at that day/time. And I’m going to to guess that the killer or someone close to him knows the roads in the area very well and possibly the location of known surveillance cameras as well.

Surly if The father found info that he felt strongly led to his daughter or her killer he would have confided in someone. Is there any rumors floating around about him telling someone?
I don't think Anyone would say if Tommy had confided in them, we see exactly what happened to Tommy when he was doing his investigation he is 6 feet under. I am sure there have been more people independently working on the case without saying it out in the community as these murders seem to be a catalysts for more murders.

That is interesting. And as you mentioned in another post, it seemed like the Oxygen series was trying to play up Tommy possibly being on the verge of uncovering some sort of a bigger conspiracy just prior to his murder (I recall one interviewer mention that he had learned that this “goes far beyond Bardstown). To me, his doggedness in searching for his daughter and uncovering the truth was a more likely driving force.

In my opinion, the location and manner of Tommy’s murder significantly narrows the pool of potential culprits. It’s not like he was murdered at home, at work, or at a store he visited every day or two. The murderer or someone close to him had to either (1) know Tommy well enough to know that he would be hunting in that field or general area on the opening day of deer season, or have heard that he would be doing so (someone knowing he’d be there hunting on opening day is the most likely scenario, in my opinion), or (2) been surveilling him. It was just so brazen and well executed to walk from a car on the parkway to the fence line, assassinate him in front of his grandson with his son also reasonably near, and then escape undetected (presumably via the parkway). The killer must have been very confident Tommy would be there at that day/time. And I’m going to to guess that the killer or someone close to him knows the roads in the area very well and possibly the location of known surveillance cameras as well.
If there was a love button I would hit it on this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy