GUILTY KY - Ed Dansereau, 63, Pamela, 58, & Calvin Phillips, 53, murdered, Pembroke, 19 Nov 2015 *arrest*

Why does NCFM feel they need to comment on this case? Is the implication that Martin was charged with this crime because he is male? That if he were female he would not have been charged?

I think that’s because Kit and Laura were actually working with them and helping others (military veterans dealing with things like false allegations, getting railroaded in court martial, etc). He was working with them and the Save our Heroes project, who is “devoted to ensuring justice in the military judicial system, that those within the system are afforded basic judicial rights, and leadership are held accountable.”
As soon as things started getting worse for him in his own military career, he wanted to help others and was adamant, it seems, to even try to help others so that no one else would face similar situations / the same fate.

I think that’s because Kit and Laura were actually working with them and helping others (military veterans dealing with things like false allegations, getting railroaded in court martial, etc). He was working with them and the Save our Heroes project, who is “devoted to ensuring justice in the military judicial system, that those within the system are afforded basic judicial rights, and leadership are held accountable.”
As soon as things started getting worse for him in his own military career, he wanted to help others and was adamant, it seems, to even try to help others so that no one else would face similar situations / the same fate.
Seems inappropriate to me unless they have evidence he was falsely arrested because of his gender. WRT the military, Vanessa Guillen was unavailable for comment.

Seems inappropriate to me unless they have evidence he was falsely arrested because of his gender. WRT the military, Vanessa Guillen was unavailable for comment.

Uh sorry, I’m not really sure about that. But they did get evidence of Joan on audio recording coaching her children what to say to authorities. They caught the prosecutors on audio admitting Joan was not credible. I’m not sure what their volunteer work, with an organization who is trying to help others in a same situation, is inappropriate but thankfully we can agree to disagree

Uh sorry, I’m not really sure about that. But they did get evidence of Joan on audio recording coaching her children what to say to authorities. They caught the prosecutors on audio admitting Joan was not credible. I’m not sure what their volunteer work, with an organization who is trying to help others in a same situation, is inappropriate but thankfully we can agree to disagree
Yep!

I'm not sure if the sentence recommendation by the jury has been posted. Jury recommended LWOP. Martin will be sentenced on 9/2/2021.

Here are the jury recommendations for each charge.

Kit Martin Sentencing

A Hardin County jury has recommended that Christian "Kit" Martin serve these sentences after being found guilty of Tuesday.

• Count 1 First-degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole
  • Count 2 First-degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole
  • Count 3 First-degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole
  • Count 4 Burglary first degree: 20 years
  • Count 5 Burglary first degree: 20 years
  • Count 6 First-degree arson: Life sentence
  • Count 7 Criminal attempt to commit first-degree arson - 20 years
  • Count 8 Tampering with evidence: 5 years
  • Count 9 Tampering with evidence: 5 years
  • Count 10 Tampering with evidence: 5 years
Jury recommends punishments be served concurrently.

Jury recommends Kit Martin serve life in prison without parole

The notion that LE is willing to risk their freedom to frame an innocent man -- whether due to their connection to his bitter ex or not -- is incredulous imo. Nearly all guilty defendants argue that they were set up or 'some other guy did it'. Some of them even get documentaries made on their behalf supporting these claims. It's turning into a lucrative narrative this wrongful conviction business. Even CourtTV is framing things in a highly biased, cartoonish, defense biased way. It generates outrage and drama, which gets more views. In this instance, it seems Martin has found allies in mens rights groups. Because this whole framing around the ex-wife is highly suspect. She would have to be braindead to kill a woman and then just not destroy the phone if there was anything incriminating in it and if not, then destroy it anyway. JMO
I totally agree with your post. Martin is guilty of these crimes. He is the one with the clear motive. He faced prison time and the total loss of his military benefits. His only chance of getting off was if Phillips weren't available to testify. I also believe that he made up the affair with his wife, Joan, to sully Cal's reputation and to shift the blame towards her.

It's so sad that Cal's wife, Pam, didn't say his name into the phone when she was surprised with him being in her house. I remember this tip from the movie, "Taken." I believe the father told his daughter (who was about to be kidnapped) to describe everything about her abductors instead of screaming.

I can tell you that I have had a lot of experience with military pilots and commercial pilots. There are many that are very egotistical, unbalanced and think that they can get away with any crime.

I can see Joan being afraid of Kit Martin. Yes - She has issues, which the defense would exploit. However, being a "bigamist" is nowhere close to being a triple murderer.

Martin is right where he belongs.

JMO.

ETA: Welcome, ClemsonTiger97! My husband is a Clemson Tiger, albeit a little older than you! ;)

I wanted to also say that we lived in (Northern) KY twice and really liked the area! :)

Last edited:
I totally agree with your post. Martin is guilty of these crimes. He is the one with the clear motive. He faced prison time and the total loss of his military benefits. His only chance of getting off was if Phillips weren't available to testify. I also believe that he made up the affair with his wife, Joan, to sully Cal's reputation and to shift the blame towards her.

It's so sad that Cal's wife, Pam, didn't say his name into the phone when she was surprised with him being in her house. I remember this tip from the movie, "Taken." I believe the father told his daughter (who was about to be kidnapped) to describe everything about her abductors instead of screaming.

I can tell you that I have had a lot of experience with military pilots and commercial pilots. There are many that are very egotistical, unbalanced and think that they can get away with any crime.

I can see Joan being afraid of Kit Martin. Yes - She has issues, which the defense would exploit. However, being a "bigamist" is nowhere close to being a triple murderer.

Martin is right where he belongs.

JMO.

ETA: Welcome, ClemsonTiger97! My husband is a Clemson Tiger, albeit a little older than you! ;)

I wanted to also say that we lived in (Northern) KY twice and really liked the area! :)
Thank you, Synergizer Bunny! Go Tigers! Enjoying this discussion and so glad I found this forum to discuss. I know my family gets tired of hearing my commentary on cases so it is great to find an outlet. I am in Nashville, TN and a former Army and pilot wife so this case really caught my attention. Thank you for the welcome!

I totally agree with your post. Martin is guilty of these crimes… I also believe that he made up the affair with his wife, Joan, to sully Cal's reputation and to shift the blame towards her…

Thank you so much for saying this. I know this family and it has been really upsetting to see so many people on here talk about the affair as if it was fact. This was a lovely couple that was trying to help a woman in trouble (whether she really was or not, they believed she was). It’s honestly turned me off from Websleuths. I understand the rumor was part of MSM, but multiple people on here talked about it like it has been proven to be true, without one inkling that it was just a rumor. This is supposed to be a victim friendly forum. Cal and Pam and Ed are all victims, as are their families. I would never recommend for their families to come here and read this thread. It was hard enough for me to do it and I’m not even close with them. It has been known for a long time that this monster is guilty and this family has waited SIX YEARS for justice. Justice for their family members who were brutally murdered. And people still want to call him “an innocent man”. No, he isn’t. Just because the prosecution didn’t do a good enough job in your eyes does not mean he isn’t guilty.

Thank you so much for saying this. I know this family and it has been really upsetting to see so many people on here talk about the affair as if it was fact. This was a lovely couple that was trying to help a woman in trouble (whether she really was or not, they believed she was). It’s honestly turned me off from Websleuths. I understand the rumor was part of MSM, but multiple people on here talked about it like it has been proven to be true, without one inkling that it was just a rumor. This is supposed to be a victim friendly forum. Cal and Pam and Ed are all victims, as are their families. I would never recommend for their families to come here and read this thread. It was hard enough for me to do it and I’m not even close with them. It has been known for a long time that this monster is guilty and this family has waited SIX YEARS for justice. Justice for their family members who were brutally murdered. And people still want to call him “an innocent man”. No, he isn’t. Just because the prosecution didn’t do a good enough job in your eyes does not mean he isn’t guilty.
The prosecution apparently did a good enough job for Martin to be found guilty of all charges. So, don't worry about what people on forums are saying.

I would never want family members to read any forum, victim friendly or not. Too many people have a wide variety of opinions, which oftentimes are far off the mark.

It's very sad that these people lost their lives. I'm just glad that Martin was finally brought to trial and found guilty. I hope that he spends the rest of his life in prison. It won't bring back the victims; however, at least, justice will be served for them.

JMO.

I'm still confused as to what Cal Phillip's testimony was going to be during the court martial. Since the link below states Martin was found guilty of some of the charges. What were the other charges that Mr Phillip's was going to testify about... abuse of JH?... or something else?

I keep reading over this news report from May 2019 and the info confuses me... particularly the parts I've included:

Pilot accused of triple murder claimed in interview one victim had affair with his 'bigamist' ex-wife

The court-martial found Martin guilty of two counts of mishandling classified information and assault on a child under the age of 16, an Army statement said. He was punitively dismissed from the Army, forfeited all pay and allowances and was sentenced to be confined for 90 days.

"I think that notion of this star witness thing is absurd,” Calvin Phillip's sister, Diana Phillips, told WSMV in 2017.

"My parents died for this court-martial," the Phillips' son, Matt Phillips, said Monday. "My father was a federal witness. This was an attack not only on my family but on the entire justice system," he said.

Last edited:
Thursday, Sept. 2nd:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am ET) – KY – Edward Dansereau (63), Pamela J. Phillips (58) & Calvin Lee Phillips (53) (Nov. 19, 2015, Pembroke) - *Christian “Kit” Richard Martin (51/now 53) arrested & charged (5/11/19), indicted (5/10/19) & arraigned (5/22/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder, 1 count of arson, 1 count of attempted arson, 2 counts of 2nd degree burglary & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty. Held without bond, changed (10/16/19) to $3M bond.
May, 2016 was convicted of 2 counts of mishandling classified materials & 2 count of assault on a child; sentenced to 6 months in jail & discharged from the military.
Trial began on 6/2/21 with jury selection & concluded the same day. Trial started on 6/3/21 (Day 1) & ended 6/16/21 (Day 9) & was held in Hardin County moved from Christian County due to pretrial publicity. Jurors: 10 men & 4 women (2 are alternates). Juror is excused (6/7/21) for medical reasons. 1 alternate left. For deliberations: 8 men & 4 women.
Senior Judge John Atkins presided. The prosecution rested its case Thursday, 6/10/21 after 6 days & 26 witnesses. Defense rested their case on Tuesday, (6/16/21) after 2 days & 11 witnesses. Jury deliberations started & ended on 6/16/21. Total time: 7 hours 27 minutes. Verdict: Guilty of 1st degree murder, 2nd degree burglary, arson & attempted arson & physical tampering with evidence. Sentencing phase started 6/17/21. Jurors recommended LWOP (deliberated for about 1½ hours).

Court info from 5/22/19 thru 6/1/21 & Jury selection (6/2/21) & Trial Day 1 to 9 (6/3/21 to 6/16/21) reference post #455 here:
GUILTY - KY - Ed Dansereau, 63, Pamela, 58, & Calvin Phillips, 53, murdered, Pembroke, 19 Nov 2015 *arrest*

6/17/21 Thursday, Day 10 of Trial/Day 1 of Sentencing Phase: Penalty phase has started. The same jury that found him guilty will decide his sentence, the charges carry a max of life without parole on each murder count. Openings by Commonwealth DA Barbara Whaley & Defense attorney Olivia Adams. Victim impact statements: Probation person with sentencing report. John Phillips, Calvin’s father. Matt Phillips, son of the Phillips' & Ed Dansereau's daughter Erin Hilton. Defense had no witnesses. Closings by both sides. Jury went to deliberations at ~11am & ended ~12:30pm (1½ hours) & recommended Life without parole. Formal sentencing hearing on 9/2/21.
Sentencing breakdown for each count. Count 1: 1st degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole, Count 2: 1st degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole, Count 3: 1st degree murder: Life sentence without benefit of probation or parole, Count 4: Burglary 1st degree: 20 years, Count 5: Burglary 1st degree: 20 years, Count 6: 1st degree arson: Life sentence, Count 7: Criminal attempt to commit 1st degree arson - 20 years, Count 8: Tampering with evidence: 5 years, Count 9: Tampering with evidence: 5 years & Count 10 :Tampering with evidence: 5 years. Jury recommends punishments be served concurrently.

8/26/21 Update: During the hearing Thursday, Martin’s defense attorney Douglas Moore presented arguments that prosecutors misled the jury & committed “prosecutorial misconduct” with misstatements regarding cell phone evidence & the results of DNA testing of hair. Assistant Attorney General Alex Garcia said all the grounds asserted by the defendant during the hearing were all thoroughly litigated during the trial. After hearing both sides, Chief Circuit Judge John Atkins, who presided over the trial, denied both motions for a new trial & prosecutorial misconduct.

Kit has all the answers doesn't he? Lies upon lies upon lies and smearing the victim to this day. CTV had more of the interview on after this aired, but I'm not sure it's been uploaded online yet.

I absolutely loathe him--he needs to be under the prison.

I totally agree with Nurmi saying that CRM gets off-track when he's talking and loses credibility. And, I agree with you... smearing the victims is despicable. However, I'm disturbed that his ex/faux-wife was not allowed to testify during his case. I mean, seriously, how the heck did she end-up with the phone, and why didn't she take it to LE?? Also, (as I've stated before) I don't know exactly what the Phillips' testimony was going to be that drove him to kill them. And, he seriously left his dog tag during this precision military kill? While I'm not sold on his innocence, there were too many questions left unanswered during his trial. I'm very puzzled by the fact the jury didn't want these answers before reaching their decision to convict. But, maybe that's just me ;)

jmo

Last edited:
I watched the Dateline episode on the case which brought me here. I thought it would clear up my confusion but after reading everything I'm still confused. Kit's probably the killer, but the LE and the state really didn't do a great job proving their case imho.

A small town full of corruption, a jury that did not have all the facts then got it wrong (who have not spoken out to anyone by the way since the verdict was read), a judge who should be disbarred for his unfairness and one sided views, a killer and her son that plead the 5th, a sister that failed a poly graph, multiple victims and families torn apart and in the end an innocent man that served our country for 30 years with 2 tours in Iraq sits in prison… Kit Martin need to be Free and the “Bigamist” needs to be looked in to!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarrickuk
Back